Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69644 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #420 on: July 22, 2021, 07:37:00 AM »
You two get an alternate universe will ya?!

You should see what our variants are doing!

Anywho, who do you all think will be on this new "dark" Avengers roster that Julia Louise Dreyfus is clearly putting together? She has her new Cap and her Black Widow. Do you think you'll try to get a new Iron Man during Armor Wars? How else is she going to put this team together?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #421 on: July 22, 2021, 07:51:59 AM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #422 on: July 22, 2021, 09:39:24 AM »
Anywho, who do you all think will be on this new "dark" Avengers roster that Julia Louise Dreyfus is clearly putting together? She has her new Cap and her Black Widow. Do you think you'll try to get a new Iron Man during Armor Wars? How else is she going to put this team together?

Zemo seems like fair game, since he is headed to the Raft.  Abomination maybe?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #423 on: July 22, 2021, 09:42:33 AM »

I have no idea how I didn't think Abomination. Good call!

As for Zemo, I dunno. The Dark Avengers in the comics were mirrors of the good ones for the most part. Seems (so far) to be the same here. A new Cap, a new Widow. Abomination would be a good Hulk. She'd want an Iron Man, Hawkeye and Thor type though. At least.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #424 on: July 22, 2021, 10:26:57 AM »

As for Zemo, I dunno. The Dark Avengers in the comics were mirrors of the good ones for the most part. Seems (so far) to be the same here. A new Cap, a new Widow. Abomination would be a good Hulk. She'd want an Iron Man, Hawkeye and Thor type though. At least.

Hawkeye's daughter?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #425 on: July 22, 2021, 10:29:18 AM »

Yeah, but the MCU has deviated from the comics in a lot of ways.  And I think having a direct analogue to each original Avenger would come across onscreen as pretty cheesy and might be offputting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #426 on: July 22, 2021, 10:41:43 AM »
Well yea. Nothing about these dark avengers would be in line with the comics. I just meant the general theme. I doubt they’ll follow it exactly but they have for the first two so I assume they might for at last the iron man version since we have armor wars coming up anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #427 on: July 22, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
I think if we get one villain for each original Avengers, that might be OK, but it would be a bit hokey. I'd be fine with USAgent, Yelena Belova, and Abomination at least, but let's see other villains come back that didn't die....like, uhm... Hmmm. Zemo? And Mordo! How about Ghost, she's still gotta be alive even after the Blip.

I do wonder, if Valentina is working for Ross and we get a team of anti-heroes as the Thunderbolts, named after General "Thunderbolt" Ross. It didn't happen like that in the comics but it would be a neat way to work that out in context of the MCU, and it gives us a reason to see Ross eventually become Red Hulk, if William Hurt is up for it, though I understand he's not as spry and young as he used to be, though someone younger could do the on-set mocap and he could just be the face/voice for Red Hulk.

It seems like the MCU is gearing up towards both a new Avengers team and/or the Young Avengers, and some sort of anti-Avengers team (Dark Avengers or Thunderbolts). I think if we get both or all of these teams, it would be neat to see them all have to team-up in a sort of Secret War(s) battle against a villain like Doom or Kang. Seems like the best way to one-up a climax like Endgame, especially if the X-Men and Fantastic Four are also involved. Then again, they could do the Onslaught storyline and I would die happy, and that would give them a good reason to reboot Avengers characters with new actors if they so choose.

Also, I'm still wondering if they're going to do an A-Force film once She-Hulk gets off the ground? Would love to see her, Captain Marvel, Rescue, Wasp, Sif, and maybe a couple more in a film together!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: July 27, 2021, 12:17:19 PM »
Watched Iron Man 2 over the weekend in our chronological order of movies, and my first watch of these... and this may have been my least favorite so far. I struggled to stay awake. What a let down after I really enjoyed the first Iron Man.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #429 on: July 27, 2021, 01:49:55 PM »
Iron Man 2 seems to be ranked pretty low amongst everyone I know who's into the MCU, so you're not alone.

Offline Adami

« Reply #430 on: July 27, 2021, 01:51:52 PM »
Indeed, which is a shame cause it has some great stuff in it.

Micky Rourke was a pretty cool villain that they just gave...very little to do.

Justin Hammer is pretty universally liked in that movie as well.

But yea, the plot was WAY too muddled and thin. I think a much more focused script would've made it a much better movie.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #431 on: July 28, 2021, 03:00:27 PM »

But yea, the plot was WAY too muddled and thin. I think a much more focused script would've made it a much better movie.
Justin Hammer was awesome, and I hope to see him again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #432 on: July 28, 2021, 03:29:32 PM »
Sam Rockwell is awesome.  I can't think of a single role I've seen him in where I didn't think he was awesome, and Justin Hammer is certainly one of them.  But I thought the character of Justin Hammer was a smarmy idiot, and meant to be that way.  Hell, even the name "Justin" is one I associate with smarmy Gen-X (or -Y or whatever) dickheads, be that fair or not.  Well-developed character, awesome portrayal, but I'd be fine never seeing him again.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #433 on: July 28, 2021, 03:36:11 PM »

Justin Hammer was awesome, and I hope to see him again.

I keep hoping and waiting to hear that he'll be added to the cast of Armor Wars. It would be fitting since Iron Man 2 was the first film with Don Cheadle as Rhodey, so seeing Sam Rockwell back from that film would be a treat because you KNOW Hammer Industries continued trying to rip off Tony's tech after the events of Iron Man 2 in 2010. It's been 14 years in-universe, so I'm sure there's a lot they could do to incorporate Justin Hammer back into the MCU via Armor Wars. I want to know if he got out of prison (as seen in the All Hail The King MCU One-Shot), and if so, what has he been up to since then!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: July 29, 2021, 11:13:58 AM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #435 on: July 29, 2021, 11:49:30 AM »
The Disney+ series Hawkeye will be premiering on November 24th.

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1420761030704173056?s=19

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #436 on: July 29, 2021, 12:21:55 PM »
Nice
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: July 30, 2021, 11:06:04 AM »

The Disney+ series Hawkeye will be premiering on November 24th.

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1420761030704173056?s=19

-Marc.

I'm really looking forward to this, as it is based on an amazing Matt Fraction/David Aja comics run.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: July 30, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »
Honestly, I think I'm most excited for What If?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #439 on: August 01, 2021, 10:22:24 PM »
Honestly, I think I'm most excited for What If?

Preliminary reviews for it are very, very strong.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #440 on: August 04, 2021, 11:20:18 PM »
https://www.royalstondesign.com/marvel-mcu-vhs-series

I found this artist a few months ago on Twitter, and his designs for MCU VHS covers are extraordinary. I've been using them as my phone backgrounds for over a month now (using an app that cycles through all of them).

He's also made new ones for Black Widow and the 3 currently released Disney+ shows.
https://twitter.com/RoyalstonDesign/status/1415736353745158149?s=19

-Marc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #441 on: August 05, 2021, 06:01:32 AM »
SO I finally watched Endgame last night (well, I finished it last night; we watched it over two nights).   I'm not sure what to make of it.  I think I have to watch it again.

I will say this: I don't like when main characters, the "title hero", dies.  I get people have to die, but I am so used to suspending the "arc of life" with comic books that it's jarring when someone that is a main character, dies. 

And minor point, but if I was Brie Larsen I would have written that haircut out of my contract.   :tdwn

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #442 on: August 05, 2021, 07:18:34 PM »
SO I finally watched Endgame last night (well, I finished it last night; we watched it over two nights).   I'm not sure what to make of it.  I think I have to watch it again.

I will say this: I don't like when main characters, the "title hero", dies.  I get people have to die, but I am so used to suspending the "arc of life" with comic books that it's jarring when someone that is a main character, dies. 

And minor point, but if I was Brie Larsen I would have written that haircut out of my contract.   :tdwn

Yeah IW and Endgame are movies that pay off to watch them twice.

Interested in knowing your thoughts regarding what they did with Thor.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: August 06, 2021, 05:44:42 AM »

Yeah IW and Endgame are movies that pay off to watch them twice.

Interested in knowing your thoughts regarding what they did with Thor.

Hated it.   Thor is one of my favorite characters and I think that "twist" removed what I love most about him:  He's a leader, but not really.  He's a god, but not really.  He's smart, but not really.   He's all these things that are sort of a contradiction, and in that last movie it just seemed he was pure comedic relief.

Where I sit right now, I liked Infinity War WAY better than Endgame.   I will absolutely watch it again, though.   One little thing I did like:  when Tony did the snap and Thanos looked around and just sat down knowing it was over, Johnny.  It's over.  I thought that was so subtle and yet so powerful.

One other thing:  I wish I felt more empathy with Nebula.   She was such a main character in the movie but I just didn't connect, really.   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: August 06, 2021, 05:58:28 AM »
Regarding Thor, I wasn’t too impressed at first, but ultimately thought it was brilliant. It just showed he’s “human”.  Lost his dad ... mom murdered... brother murdered who he’d just reconciled with... best friend murdered .... the Warriors 3 murdered by his sister .... homeland obliterated... everyone on the refugee ship killed .... and then in the final moment to save 1/2 the universe, he fucks it up.  Falling into the deepest depression where nothing meaningful matters is totally understandable, imo.

Offline Adami

« Reply #445 on: August 06, 2021, 06:05:57 AM »
Regarding Thor, I wasn’t too impressed at first, but ultimately thought it was brilliant. It just showed he’s “human”.  Lost his dad ... mom murdered... brother murdered who he’d just reconciled with... best friend murdered .... the Warriors 3 murdered by his sister .... homeland obliterated... everyone on the refugee ship killed .... and then in the final moment to save 1/2 the universe, he fucks it up.  Falling into the deepest depression where nothing meaningful matters is totally understandable, imo.

Yup. They did maybe overplay the comedic part of it and underplay the actual drama but the twist itself was brilliant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #446 on: August 06, 2021, 06:36:21 AM »
Hated it. Thor is one of my favorite characters and I think that "twist" removed what I love most about him:  He's a leader, but not really.  He's a god, but not really.  He's smart, but not really.   He's all these things that are sort of a contradiction, and in that last movie it just seemed he was pure comedic relief. 

Thank you for responding. This was something that divided a lot of fans and even caused some controversy when the movie was released. With that said:

That's where I stand and I also though it was brilliant. If you look at the characters that survive the snap, the way they coped with things is directly attached to their personality. We see a vulnerable Thor in IW, when he was on the ship with Rocket and Groot. Makes sense to me he would turn the way he did after losing a battle that caused half of all live to vanished and feeling like it was your fault, on top of everything he had already lost.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: August 06, 2021, 06:53:59 AM »

Yup. They did maybe overplay the comedic part of it and underplay the actual drama but the twist itself was brilliant.

On this, we agree.  Though, the cheez-whiz and Lebowski comments were pretty darn good.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #448 on: August 06, 2021, 06:57:55 AM »
I had no issue with the treatment of Thor, it follows his arc of stupid silliness fine, as well as keeping with his actual mental breakdown. I felt it tied the two together nicely.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #449 on: August 06, 2021, 07:07:51 AM »

Where I sit right now, I liked Infinity War WAY better than Endgame. 

Watching the end of IW (with all the dusting after the snap) in the cinema for the first time was amazing, just taking in all that was happening.
But I've said it before it's much easier to write a brilliant cliff hanger ending, than it is to write a satisfying resolution.  I think for the most part Endgame did satisfy, I have a few niggles and I do think IW is the slightly better film - but overall I was really happy with both parts.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #450 on: August 06, 2021, 07:16:33 AM »
I'll never forget the end of IW... The dude next to me turning to his friends in bewilderment asking "did they lose?"

Seeing Endgame opening night in a packed theater will be a movie experience that will never be topped though. For that alone I'd put it on top of IW.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #451 on: August 06, 2021, 07:33:36 AM »
One other thing:  I wish I felt more empathy with Nebula.   She was such a main character in the movie but I just didn't connect, really.   

I liked her arc, but it did feel like she got more screen time because Karen Gillan has gotten more popular since Nebula was first introduced.  She was a secondary character who they tried to make into a main character, and we already had plenty of main characters.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: August 06, 2021, 07:33:46 AM »
Hated it. Thor is one of my favorite characters and I think that "twist" removed what I love most about him:  He's a leader, but not really.  He's a god, but not really.  He's smart, but not really.   He's all these things that are sort of a contradiction, and in that last movie it just seemed he was pure comedic relief. 

Thank you for responding. This was something that divided a lot of fans and even caused some controversy when the movie was released. With that said:

That's where I stand and I also though it was brilliant. If you look at the characters that survive the snap, the way they coped with things is directly attached to their personality. We see a vulnerable Thor in IW, when he was on the ship with Rocket and Groot. Makes sense to me he would turn the way he did after losing a battle that caused half of all live to vanished and feeling like it was your fault, on top of everything he had already lost.

I'm human, I live with arguably three or four humans, I sired a human, most of my friends are human... I have enough loss and reality and "dealing" each and every day.   I don't really need that from my costumed super heroes.   Thor ISN'T human, in the sense that he has a Hammer that no one other than Capt. America (another twist I wasn't that fond of) can even LIFT.  He can fly, more or less, and move between universes almost at will.  He popped an eyeball into his head that came more or less directly from a rabbit/racoon's ass.   I don't need "depression" from him.  We've got "sensitive" Bruce Banner, and "sensitive" Steve Rogers, and a morphing-into-sensitive-in-a-way-that-makes-perfect-sense "sensitive" Tony Stark.   I thought it was unnecessary.

But I understand the other point of view; it's just my opinion.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: August 06, 2021, 07:35:50 AM »
I'll never forget the end of IW... The dude next to me turning to his friends in bewilderment asking "did they lose?"

Seeing Endgame opening night in a packed theater will be a movie experience that will never be topped though. For that alone I'd put it on top of IW.

See, I fought back emotions when Peter Parker turned to dust; that look on his face - "Tony! What the flip is HAPPENING to me! This isn't supposed to happen!" with a twist of "My aunt is going to KILL ME!" - was priceless.  I did not cry or even feel close to it watching Tony reach his conclusion.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #454 on: August 06, 2021, 07:54:58 AM »
Stads, even Thanos let a tear out.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC