Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69768 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #350 on: June 29, 2021, 10:51:36 AM »
Plus I found Brie Larson wooden in her delivery.

I bet she’d find you wooden at her delivery.

:rollin

Chiming in (and leaving so I don't get spoiled) to say that I was not much of a fan of Captain Marvel.  Found the story a bit confusing (and maybe this is due to watching in chronological order) at first but also just found it to be mostly uninteresting other than all the 90s jokes (which I did enjoy as a 90s kid). 

Don't worry.  Although it got overall positive reviews, a good many rank it near or at the bottom in the MCU.  It definitely isn't just you.

Yeah, my date said the same thing.  I'm not worried.  Onto Iron Man...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #351 on: June 29, 2021, 11:33:20 AM »
Captain Marvel is definitely in my Top 23 Marvel films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #352 on: June 29, 2021, 11:33:45 AM »

For now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #353 on: June 29, 2021, 11:36:14 AM »

For now.
True.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #354 on: June 29, 2021, 12:29:24 PM »
Plus I found Brie Larson wooden in her delivery.

I bet she’d find you wooden at her delivery.

In my youth maybe. Now, I'm more of a shrubbery.

Count me in with those that are luke warm about Brie Larson and the movie in general.    Not to be a pig, but for a superhero franchise - that is to say, tight leotards and plunging necklines - the MCU leaves a lot to be desired.  When Spider-man's aunt is in the top three or four most attractive (that is to say, dressed like an aunt and no spandex to be found), you know it's dire.

Contrast that with watching with my daughter and wife: "He's hot. No, he's hot. No, HE'S hot.  No..."  When Thor started the furnaces for Tyrion, I almost left the room.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 12:41:12 PM by Stadler »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #355 on: June 29, 2021, 12:30:25 PM »
It’s a weird thing, Brie Larson and Natalie Portman are Oscar-winners and cute as hell but something is just off . . . Hopefully Portman can remedy that in the new Thor movie.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #356 on: June 29, 2021, 12:41:54 PM »
This is going to sound WAYYYYYYY harsher than I mean it to be, but Natalie Portman does nothing for me, and from an acting standpoint, she's wasted in the MCU.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #357 on: June 29, 2021, 12:59:58 PM »
Yea, AOS explained where the ship came from, but the movie didn't mention it.

So it's still a one-sided love affair.  AOS drops little things that tie it to the MCU, but the MCU doesn't reciprocate.  I'm going to stand by my position that the MCU has not even referred to Coulson being dead or alive.  AOS viewers "know" where the helicarrier came from, but it's not acknowledged in the MCU.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2021, 01:00:25 PM »
Eh, I loved the Captain Marvel movie, and I liked Larson in the role. *shrugs*

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #359 on: June 29, 2021, 02:00:05 PM »
Eh, I loved the Captain Marvel movie, and I liked Larson in the role. *shrugs*

Same here. I enjoyed it enough, but for me, the film floated on the ensemble cast and didn't just rely on the titular character. Seeing younger Fury and Coulson was fantastic, and even having Talos and Ronan helped the film a bit. This was an origin and bridging-the-gap sort of film all in one, with tons of callbacks to other films in the franchise. If you're deep into MCU lore and history, there's more to appreciate but as a standalone movie with sole attention to Carol herself, I can see how many folks would feel let down by it. If it was a Phase 1 or 2 film, the script probably would've been tighter and had a stronger focus on developing Carol, rather than developing the history of the MCU.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #360 on: June 29, 2021, 02:01:03 PM »
Reviews for Black Widow are starting to appear, and seem mostly positive. Very stoked to get back into an imax theater for an mcu flick.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: June 29, 2021, 02:06:38 PM »
Reviews for Black Widow are starting to appear, and seem mostly positive. Very stoked to get back into an imax theater for an mcu flick.

Less than 10 days ago I went to my first concert in 16 months, with more than 20K people in attendance. Yet, I don't feel ready for a movie theater  :facepalm: I really want to see this movie on the big screen but we will see.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #362 on: June 29, 2021, 02:25:40 PM »

Less than 10 days ago I went to my first concert in 16 months, with more than 20K people in attendance. Yet, I don't feel ready for a movie theater  :facepalm: I really want to see this movie on the big screen but we will see.

I survived a year working in a grocery store, that was enough covid anxiety for a lifetime.  :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: June 30, 2021, 08:02:47 AM »

Fury says something like "Pulled her out of mothballs with a couple old friends," while Agents of SHIELD shows that Coulson had directed resources toward rebuilding the helicarriers.

Online Adami

« Reply #364 on: June 30, 2021, 08:10:06 AM »

Fury says something like "Pulled her out of mothballs with a couple old friends," while Agents of SHIELD shows that Coulson had directed resources toward rebuilding the helicarriers.

Yea, but I dunno. "A couple old friends" to people just watching the movie would simply mean the people currently on the ship. I get that if you watch the show too, you can be like "I bet I know who he meant!" but it's still not mentioning the show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: June 30, 2021, 01:06:11 PM »

Yea, but I dunno. "A couple old friends" to people just watching the movie would simply mean the people currently on the ship. I get that if you watch the show too, you can be like "I bet I know who he meant!" but it's still not mentioning the show.

That's why I referred to it as an "oblique" reference.  Human Jarvis showing up in Endgame is the only somewhat-direct acknowledgement of any of the shows.

Online Adami

« Reply #366 on: June 30, 2021, 01:07:05 PM »

That's why I referred to it as an "oblique" reference.  Human Jarvis showing up in Endgame is the only somewhat-direct acknowledgement of any of the shows.[/size]

Indeed. And Agent Carter is listed as part of the MCU on Disney+. I don't think Agents is on Disney+, if it is, I'm not sure if it's under MCU or extended like other shows.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #367 on: June 30, 2021, 01:58:15 PM »

That's why I referred to it as an "oblique" reference.  Human Jarvis showing up in Endgame is the only somewhat-direct acknowledgement of any of the shows.[/size]

Indeed. And Agent Carter is listed as part of the MCU on Disney+. I don't think Agents is on Disney+, if it is, I'm not sure if it's under MCU or extended like other shows.

Well, considering that Agent Carter is a direct spin-off of the Agent Carter One-Shot, I think it's place in MCU Canon is more solid, even if it has a bit of crossover with AOS. Also, Agent Carter featured Howard Stark, and both of them had also returned in later MCU films after the series, like the 80's flash-back opening of Ant-Man. I think yo u could probably watch Agent Carter and accept it as canon without having watched any of AOS, since it's just an extension of that Marvel One-Shot, and AFAIK, all five of those short films are still canon.

And speaking of those One-Shots, I did recently learn that Item 47 was the springboard for Agents Of SHIELD, and even Titus Welliver's Agent Blake originated from that, eventually showing up in a few episodes of AOS. I think, to a point, AOS was still canon to the MCU, maybe the first two seasons, but I think because of how they handled the Inhumans and had other characters come and go, I don't think Marvel Studios will ever reference the show, though I would freak out if Mockingbird somehow makes an appearance in Hawkeye, given their relationship in the comics (though MCU Hawkeye has a wife and family, so it couldn't be more than a platonic relationship in the MCU).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #368 on: July 02, 2021, 02:10:59 PM »
Given how un-busy my summer is going to be this year, I've planned out a massive MCU re-watch starting in late June, to coincide with the release of Black Widow. Assuming the film has Thursday night preview showings on July 8th, here's what my schedule will be for the MCU re-watch, featuring just the films at the Disney+ shows:

6/24 - Iron Man
6/25 - The Incredible Hulk
6/26 - Iron Man 2
6/27 - Thor
6/28 - Captain America: The First Avenger
6/29 - Avengers
6/30 - Iron Man 3
7/1 - Thor: The Dark World
7/2 - Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 1
7/3 - Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
7/4 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Happy Independence Day!!!)
7/5 - Avengers: Age Of Ultron
7/6 - Ant-Man
7/7 - Captain America: Civil War
7/8 - Black Widow
7/9 - Black Panther
7/10 - Spider-Man: Homecoming
7/11 - Doctor Strange
7/12 - Thor: Ragnarok
7/13 - Avengers: Infinity War
7/14 - And-Man & The Wasp
7/15 - Captain Marvel
7/16 - Avengers: Endgame
7/17 - WandaVision (Episodes 1-5)
7/18 - WandaVision (Episodes 6-9)
7/19 - The Falcon And The Winter Soldier (Episodes 1-3)
7/20 - The Falcon And The Winter Soldier (Episodes 4-6)
7/21 - Spider-Man: Far From Home

And depending on the timeline of the show (which might be irrelevant), Loki might come before WandaVision, or after Spider-Man: FFH. Either way, it'll get a re-watch later this summer, definitely before What If...? starts airing, which is supposedly in August at some point.

It's been a couple of years since I've watched most of these films, back when I rewatched them all after Endgame came out, but before/during the release of Far From Home. I think I timed my rewatch schedule around the BD release of Endgame (which would've been around August 2019 I think). Of course, if I happened to have work or am busy otherwise, all dates are subject to change and shuffling, though I do want to try and catch up to Civil War by July 7th so I can be fresh for Black Widow that weekend. And if I am up for it, I'll be sure to post my thoughts on these films as I revisit them!

-Marc.

So I've gotten through the first eight films on my rewatch schedule, and so far so good! After each film, I've been working on giving them a letter-tier ranking, from S-Tier to D-Tier (though I can't really think of any film I would dislike as much, but there might be a couple of C-Tier films). Here are my rankings for the first eight I've rewatched thus far:
S-Tier: Avengers
A-Tier: Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man 2
B-Tier: Iron Man 3, Thor, The Incredible Hulk
C-Tier: Thor: The Dark World

Avengers will always be a gold-standard MCU for me, and one that is easily always rewatchable and enjoyable. I also found myself loving CA:TFA more and more with every watch, and recognizing just how great Silvestri's score for that film is, and is probably my favorite score of all of the Phase 1 films (with Avengers closely behind it).

Thor is a pretty fun film, despite it's infinite Dutch angles and Hemsworth's dyed eyebrows, both of which I was glad to see disappear for The Dark World, but the sequel just didn't have as good of a plot or villain as the first Thor. The Dark World gets a *little* better each time I watch it, but its only saving graces are Loki and Frigga. The script just didn't seem to really serve anyone else, even Thor himself, though you can sort of feel there are moments where his humorous side starts to eek out (especially him hanging Mjolnir on the coathanger, which cracks me up every time).

The Iron Man Trilogy, being the first complete trilogy in the MCU, kind of works, but given that Tony was always going to continue in the MCU, being a complete trilogy doesn't really feel right, unless you count his own personal journey of becoming more self-aware and less selfish. They tried to tie up some plot points by the end of IM3, and I like that final scene as a sort of "send off" to that as he tosses his chest arc reactor into the ocean from his destroy mansion remnants, but the trilogy just sort of feels like the first act of Tony's arc (with Age Of Ultron, Civil War, and Homecoming being the second act, and Infinity War and Endgame being his third act).

And as for The Incredible Hulk, watching it again the day after the Shang-Chi trailer dropped felt serendipitous given the reappearance of The Abomination. This Hulk film isn't AWFUL, and many fans might be surprised at how many references and revisits were made to this film later in the MCU, like how Peter Parker's teacher, played by Martin Starr, is the same kid at Culver University that Bruce Banner gives pizza to in the lab, or posters of the green soda later seen in Ant-Man, and of course, the return of Thunderbolt Ross in Civil War. It's wild to me that Ross will also be in Black Widow, and that the next MCU film is Shang-Chi, featuring Blonsky's Abomination - this doesn't feel like a coincidence AT ALL, and I feel like they're gearing it all up for She-Hulk.

Coming up this weekend will be both GOTG films, which I'm watching back to back because Volume 2 takes place only six months after Volume 1, so I'm going pseudo-chronologically (since I can't really go about watching Captain Marvel before most of these films since her tease at the end of Infinity War feels like a better set-up, and watching her film just before Endgame feels more appropriate). And ironically, my schedule allowed watching Captain America: The Winter Soldier on Independence Day, so what better way to celebrate than to watch a film about how a shadowy organization is being undermined by a terrorist group using its technology to target citizens. Woohoo!

-Marc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #369 on: July 08, 2021, 09:38:03 AM »
Got my Imax tickets for Black Widow on Sunday, pretty stoked to see the MCU on the really big screen again.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #370 on: July 08, 2021, 10:53:31 AM »
That sounds amazing!  We expect a full report after.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #371 on: July 08, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »
Seeing it Saturday.  Not Imax, but I don't see the need.  Just looking forward to being in a theater at all.  It is amazing that they have somehow stayed afloat and are able to reopen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #372 on: July 08, 2021, 11:12:36 AM »
It's just my habit to see all new MCU flicks on IMAX, also after over a year out of the theaters, I think it's warranted.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #373 on: July 08, 2021, 11:19:52 AM »
In my city the IMAX screens aren't as good as the Dolby Cinema screens. The sound is way better and immersive and every movie I've seen there has been super enjoyable.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #374 on: July 08, 2021, 12:16:32 PM »
Seeing Black Widow at 5pm EST today at my Regal RPX theater. Cannot wait to see my first MCU Film in a theater in over two years! (Spider-Man Far From Home released on July 2nd 2019, so I'm sure I saw it on the 1st, so it's been 105 weeks!)

Also, my MCU Rewatch caught up to Civil War last night, so I am primed to see where Natasha goes next after Civil War!

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #375 on: July 08, 2021, 12:38:51 PM »
Yeah, we watched Civil War the other night to prepare as well.  I didn't really care for it much for the longest time.  It never really felt like it had any stakes.  But it has aged pretty well for me and gotten better over time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #376 on: July 08, 2021, 01:12:30 PM »
I have tickets for Saturday afternoon! I can’t wait!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #377 on: July 08, 2021, 01:22:12 PM »
Yeah, we watched Civil War the other night to prepare as well.  I didn't really care for it much for the longest time.  It never really felt like it had any stakes.  But it has aged pretty well for me and gotten better over time.

Civil War was one of the few MCU films I caught twice in theaters, and deservedly so. For me, it gets better every time I rewatch it and I think last night was probably the 6th or 7th time I've seen it, and it continues to impress me how the Russos managed to make a film that was a follow-up to The Winter Soldier AND Age Of Ultron, bring back characters like Thunderbolt Ross and Ant-Man, and introduce Black Panther AND Spider-Man, all in the same film. At first glance, one might think it would be a bloated mess, but I think they balanced everything fairly well, giving us just enough of Peter Parker and T'Challa for their first go in the MCU, a taste of what the Post-Ultron Avengers have been up to, and bringing in every Avenger that was present on Earth at the time. I love that, conveniently, Thor and Hulk are absent, because if either of them were there, the battle at the airport would have been severely lopsided. It felt like everything just fell into place for both sides to be fairly evenly matched.

I also love that this film doesn't end on a happy note, and that the villain not only lived to fight another day, but succeeded in his plans to tear the Avengers apart, which in turn meant their defeat at the hands of Thanos in Infinity War. There's a very fun through-line to follow back from Thanos' victory back to Zemo's victory, which goes back to Tony's failure with Ultron, which was created as a result of The Battle Of New York (which was indirectly caused by Thanos giving Loki the Mind Stone scepter to try and rule Earth, but also get the Space Stone Tesseract). Thanos basically secured his victory through a long series of events by giving Loki the chance to conquer Earth, even if things didn't go to plan (if Loki had been successful, gotten the Tesseract, and given it to Thanos, the snap/blip probably would've happened a lot sooner).

And speaking of possible scenarios... Marvel Studios' What If...? Trailer dropped today, and will premiere on August 11th! From what I recall, the first season will be 10 episodes, with a second season of 10 more episodes to follow-up, probably next year between other Disney+ series. This also probably means the next Disney+ series (be it Hawkeye or Ms. Marvel) probably won't air til mid-to-late October.

I'm loving all of the possibilities of What If...?, including what seems to be Chadwick Boseman's final performance as T'Challa, taking on the role of Star-Lord (instead of Peter Quill).

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #378 on: July 08, 2021, 01:52:21 PM »
...if Loki had been successful, gotten the Tesseract, and given it to Thanos, the snap/blip probably would've happened a lot sooner

And kind of mindblowing to think about, but Wanda and Vision would not have been created, Wakanda would not have been involved, etc.  And if the snap happens earlier, there is no way Stark and Strange are together, which enables Strange to bargain for Stark's life.  There are a lot of things that happened as a result of the way NY went that allowed the turnaround in Endgame. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #379 on: July 08, 2021, 04:15:57 PM »
Rewatched Cap The Winter Soldier tonight. Dug it less than I thought I would, tbh. Bit messy.

GOTG, Ultron and Ant Man are up next whenever I get around to it. And GOTG is the start of that really great stretch of MCU films up to where we are now.

But hey, the MAIN event will be watching BW on Disney+ over the weekend.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #380 on: July 08, 2021, 04:38:40 PM »
jingle.son and I are loading it up on D+ at 7:30am tomorrow morning, before he goes to work.  I'll post a synopsis here (just for Marc by 10am).  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #381 on: July 08, 2021, 04:57:44 PM »
Not in this thread.

Online Adami

« Reply #382 on: July 08, 2021, 05:06:53 PM »
It's just my habit to see all new MCU flicks on IMAX, also after over a year out of the theaters, I think it's warranted.

Got tickets to see it in IMAX with my lady Saturday afternoon. She’s getting nervous about the delta variant though so there’s an unfortunate chance we might do it in D+ instead. Lame but hopefully we can see it in theaters instead.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #383 on: July 08, 2021, 08:21:49 PM »
Not in this thread.

I'm going to start a dedicated Black Widow Thread. Would it be cool if that was to include spoilers, since we have this General MCU Thread for no recent spoilers?

I saw the movie earlier, and I feel the need to talk about it!  :lol

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #384 on: July 08, 2021, 09:30:42 PM »
Not in this thread.

I'm going to start a dedicated Black Widow Thread. Would it be cool if that was to include spoilers, since we have this General MCU Thread for no recent spoilers?

I saw the movie earlier, and I feel the need to talk about it!  :lol

-Marc.

Of course you can have spoilers.  You don't need permission for that.  :lol  We've just agreed to keep this thread spoiler free for a short time after something airs.  If you want to start a spoiler thread to discuss, have at it.