Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69706 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #315 on: June 25, 2021, 09:36:08 AM »
There are post credit scenes after some movies that will make no sense or will be spoilers if watched out of release order, specifically Captain Marvel iirc.

That Shang Chi trailer looks fucking dope, it's a trip cause I was watching Hulk the other day and was wondering what happened to Abomination.

Which is why I also rearranged several of the post credits scenes. Though for most of the movies it’s actually fine. Just takes a bit of work.

Yeah, the only one that really stands out is the Captain Marvel one where she shows up at Avengers HQ.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2021, 09:46:21 AM »
Oh I wrote a whole thing out to keep it organized. But from what I remember, yea moving cap marvels to after infinity war, but also putting ant man and the wasps there too. Also moved Thor 3s to whatever was directly before infinity war. So maybe actually after ant man and the wasp. Some others but not nearly as much as one might think.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #317 on: June 25, 2021, 10:28:14 AM »
There are post credit scenes after some movies that will make no sense or will be spoilers if watched out of release order, specifically Captain Marvel iirc.

That Shang Chi trailer looks fucking dope, it's a trip cause I was watching Hulk the other day and was wondering what happened to Abomination.

Rumour is he's coming back in She-Hulk as well.  Probably just a mini cameo here.  But yeah... that trailer was sic

Not a rumor, Kevin Feige himself introduce Tim Roth as returning to the role for She-Hulk when they had their big presentation last December, and it seems like he could have a substantial role, so I suspect he'll be a recurring character, if not a main villain. His appearance in Shang-Chi could set up why he'll appear in She-Hulk.

And the wizard he is fighting in the Shang-Chi trailer looks like Wong, as there was a photo of his actor with Simu Liu (Shang-Chi) on location for the film, so it seems like Wong will make a cameo as well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #318 on: June 25, 2021, 12:02:48 PM »
Yeah partly the post-credits scenes in terms of spoilers or things not making sense, but other things too, like in Captain Marvel seeing 90s Fury and Coulson without actually knowing who they are or why they matter, and then meeting them once you reach the phase 1 movies. I just think release order makes the most sense.

It's like, sure you could watch the Star Wars movies in chronological order, but then certain moments would rather lack impact.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #319 on: June 25, 2021, 12:21:18 PM »
Yeah partly the post-credits scenes in terms of spoilers or things not making sense, but other things too, like in Captain Marvel seeing 90s Fury and Coulson without actually knowing who they are or why they matter, and then meeting them once you reach the phase 1 movies. I just think release order makes the most sense.

It's like, sure you could watch the Star Wars movies in chronological order, but then certain moments would rather lack impact.

I think for a first run, theatrical order makes sense.  If / when one wants to revisit, chronological is a cool thing to try out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2021, 03:08:12 PM »

I think for a first run, theatrical order makes sense.  If / when one wants to revisit, chronological is a cool thing to try out.
Yeah, exactly.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2021, 05:05:28 PM »
I think my next run through I'll do them in Alphabetical order, just because fuck it...

Offline Adami

« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2021, 05:08:59 PM »
I think my next run through I'll do them in Alphabetical order, just because fuck it...

Do it by alphabetical order of Stan Lee’s cameo character name.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #323 on: June 25, 2021, 06:51:38 PM »

I can’t remember if it was in agents of shield, or just a marvel one shot that happened to star agent Colson, but something involving agents of shield did mention exactly what happens to the abomination.

The Marvel One Shots are canon. Sometimes they explain nothing and they are just for fun, but at least a couple of them fill in some pretty major plot holes…one in particular tying into the Shang-Chi film.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: June 28, 2021, 08:28:06 AM »

I can’t remember if it was in agents of shield, or just a marvel one shot that happened to star agent Colson, but something involving agents of shield did mention exactly what happens to the abomination.

It's an early Agents of SHIELD scene.  I just saw the scene again recently.  Coulson tells Ward if anything goes wrong he'll spend rest of career in Alaska, doing night shift on Blonsky's cryo cell.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #325 on: June 28, 2021, 08:50:45 AM »

It's an early Agents of SHIELD scene.  I just saw the scene again recently.  Coulson tells Ward if anything goes wrong he'll spend rest of career in Alaska, doing night shift on Blonsky's cryo cell.

That too, but I seem to remember one with Coulson having a sit down with Sitwell (before he was revealed to be Hydra) talking about how Ross wanted the Abomination to be a part of the Avengers initiative, and they were nixing that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 10:45:51 AM by jammindude »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #326 on: June 28, 2021, 09:46:21 AM »

That too, but I seem to remember one with Coulson having a sit down with Sitwell (before he was revealed to be Hydra) talking about how Ross wanted the Abomination to be a part of the Avengers initiative, and they were nixing that.

You're thinking of the first Marvel One Shot, released with Thor, called The Consultant. It riffs off the idea that Stark was named a Consultant in Iron Man 2 by Nick Fury, rather than being an actual member of the Avenger Initiative, and so Coulson and Sitwell decide to send him in to see Ross as a patsy to botch the World Security Council's request to have Blonsky join the Avengers. Stark infuriates Ross and so he tries to have him tossed out of the bar (seen in The Incredible Hulk pre-credits scene) but Stark buys the bar, then plans to have it demolished (to spite Ross, I guess). Ross keeps Blonsky in prison, and the WSC doesn't get him on SHIELDS's team.

I just rewatched this One Shot last night before watching Thor during my MCU Rewatch, and I love how it makes sense of TIH's scene because, while the crossover cameo was awesome (since both Iron Man and TIH came out the same summer), it didn't make too much sense at the time, especially if you thought that the Hulk should be joining the Avengers, how would Ross be the one to make that happen? Either way, Iron Man 2 and this One Shot recontextualize this moment and also confirm that TIH takes place during the same week as Iron Man 2 and Thor (aka Fury's Big Week), all set during 2011 (supposedly, since when Iron Man 1 takes place has been in debate for years, especially due to Vision's line in Civil War, though one could easily toss out the whole "8 years" thing he said and de-canonize it).

I hope we find out what Blonsky has been up to since 2011, but it'll be awesome to see him again nonetheless.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #328 on: June 28, 2021, 10:07:01 AM »
Somehow I missed that one - or at least, have no recollection of watching it in the first place.  Which DVD was that one on?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #330 on: June 28, 2021, 10:50:56 AM »
It's things like this that create IMO good reasons to watch the MCU movies in release order.  They knew that the movies were not all necessarily going to be released in chronological order, and they also knew that they wanted the movies to be connected in ways we don't understand yet.  The one-shots and mid-credits and post-credits scenes are all canon though, and if you watch all of them, you get all the pieces and (perhaps with a little help) you get the whole picture.

It's things like this that also create IMO valid reasons for watching everything in chronological order.  But to really do that properly, you would really need to include the one-shots, mid-credits, and post-credits scenes.  And that would be a serious undertaking.  I would only advise doing it that way with the assistance of someone with a complete understanding of the MCU.  At the very least, they would need to know of the existence of all of these "other" bits, and how they fit into things chronologically, so that they could guide you through the process.  I personally don't know anyone like that.  So I just watch them, and every time I watch one of those "other" bits, I learn a bit more and understand a bit more how it all fits together.  And I'm amazed again and the scope of depth of the freakin' MCU.

Offline Adami

« Reply #331 on: June 28, 2021, 10:54:16 AM »
Girlfriend and I finished Endgame last night. So we watched everything in in-universe chronology and there were no problems at all. There's no "I'm your father" moments that it ruins. It also helps that she isn't oblivious to pop culture. She knows who Nick Fury is, so seeing him in Cap Marvel first wasn't weird. Overall it went very well. It made Cap Marvel's return very cool too, since she was the 2nd movie we watched, and then didn't see her again til the post-credits of her movie which we watched after Infinity War. Made her return more epic, as opposed to "Oh yea, we just saw her and now she's back 2 minutes later but 20 something years later in universe."

Since Spider-Man 2 and the TV shows have, thus far, not referenced each other at all, I realized the order of watching these is pretty arbitrary so she chose to start with Sam and Bucky first, which shouldn't impact anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #332 on: June 28, 2021, 11:04:15 AM »
Girlfriend and I finished Endgame last night. So we watched everything in in-universe chronology and there were no problems at all. There's no "I'm your father" moments that it ruins. It also helps that she isn't oblivious to pop culture. She knows who Nick Fury is, so seeing him in Cap Marvel first wasn't weird. Overall it went very well. It made Cap Marvel's return very cool too, since she was the 2nd movie we watched, and then didn't see her again til the post-credits of her movie which we watched after Infinity War. Made her return more epic, as opposed to "Oh yea, we just saw her and now she's back 2 minutes later but 20 something years later in universe."

Good point, and good to know that a reasonably intelligent person didn't have any problem watching them in chronological order.  No issues with the one-shots or other bits?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #333 on: June 28, 2021, 11:08:11 AM »
It would be interesting to see a compilation or anthology that puts all the One-Shots and Credit scenes into an order, say on a DVD/Blu-ray, for easy in-order consumption.  I can't imagine trying to sit in my living room and watch the One-Shots and Credit scenes in context.

Offline Adami

« Reply #334 on: June 28, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »

Good point, and good to know that a reasonably intelligent person didn't have any problem watching them in chronological order.  No issues with the one-shots or other bits?

Honestly I completely forgot about the one-shots, so I didn't include those. We just did movies and post-credit scenes. Though the only one I can remember that I wish I showed her was the Mandarin one. That said, I doubt Marvel expects anyone to know all of those, so I'm sure it'll get discussed to a degree in Shang-Chi. Or I can simply tell her.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #335 on: June 28, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »
It's things like this that create IMO good reasons to watch the MCU movies in release order.  They knew that the movies were not all necessarily going to be released in chronological order, and they also knew that they wanted the movies to be connected in ways we don't understand yet.  The one-shots and mid-credits and post-credits scenes are all canon though, and if you watch all of them, you get all the pieces and (perhaps with a little help) you get the whole picture.

It's things like this that also create IMO valid reasons for watching everything in chronological order.  But to really do that properly, you would really need to include the one-shots, mid-credits, and post-credits scenes.  And that would be a serious undertaking.  I would only advise doing it that way with the assistance of someone with a complete understanding of the MCU.  At the very least, they would need to know of the existence of all of these "other" bits, and how they fit into things chronologically, so that they could guide you through the process.  I personally don't know anyone like that.  So I just watch them, and every time I watch one of those "other" bits, I learn a bit more and understand a bit more how it all fits together.  And I'm amazed again and the scope of depth of the freakin' MCU.

Referencing the site I posted earlier, they have a timeline for everything MCU.

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline

Some things don't make a lot of sense to me but overall it gives you a sense of when things happened.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #336 on: June 28, 2021, 11:15:23 AM »
Also, Slingshot was a web series that is a part of the official canon. It’s a brief detour of an adventure by “Yo-Yo” Rodriguez that sets up one of the seasons of agents of shield. It’s short, but sweet. It never got a physical release but you can see it on YouTube. I would REALLY like to have some form of physical release of that series. Maybe I can find a bootleg comicon or some thing.

I just recently picked up all seven seasons of agents of shield on DVD and I was a bit disappointed that Slingshot wasn’t included as an extra on any of them. It would’ve been pretty easy to do. But then again, after they arrived, I began to realize that they were bootlegs.  :huh:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #337 on: June 28, 2021, 11:28:33 AM »
Regarding the canon timeline for the MCU Disney+ shows released so far, WandaVision takes place 6 weeks after Endgame, as stated in the series, with a few flashbacks between Endgame and the main part of the story. The Falcon And The Winter Soldier takes place roughly six months after Endgame, IIRC, so it occurs sometime in early 2024 (I believe Endgame was in October of 2023), so it occurs between WandaVision and Spider-Man: Far From Home. And speaking of FFH, it takes place sometime during the summer of 2024, just at the end of Peter's school year, and up to now, is the further ahead we've seen in the MCU.

And because of the time-hopping nature of Loki, it's place doesn't really matter, as long as you watch it after Endgame (for obvious reasons), but it could probably be viewed at any point between Endgame and Spider-Man: No Way Home (if it does indeed deal with multiverse timelines in a way that is similar to Loki).

And as a reminder, Black Widow will be taking place between Civil War and Infinity War, bridging the gap in those two years. The film is also expected to feature a return of Thunderbolt Ross, so between that and Abomination in Shang-Chi, we're getting at least TWO callbacks to The Incredible Hulk this year!  :tup

Also, Slingshot was a web series that is a part of the official canon. It’s a brief detour of an adventure by “Yo-Yo” Rodriguez that sets up one of the seasons of agents of shield. It’s short, but sweet. It never got a physical release but you can see it on YouTube. I would REALLY like to have some form of physical release of that series. Maybe I can find a bootleg comicon or some thing.

I just recently picked up all seven seasons of agents of shield on DVD and I was a bit disappointed that Slingshot wasn’t included as an extra on any of them. It would’ve been pretty easy to do. But then again, after they arrived, I began to realize that they were bootlegs.  :huh:

Well, as of this year, Marvel Studios still hasn't technically confirmed that Agents Of SHIELD is actual MCU canon. It could be an alternate/spin-off universe, though given what has been said in Loki, I'm not sure if that's even possible. Nothing in AOS has ever been referenced in an MCU film or TV series, and in fact, the only pre-Disney+ show to EVER get a reference in an MCU film has been Agent Carter with Howard Stark's butler, Jarvis, making a cameo in the 1970 timeline that Tony and Steve visited. Other than that, nothing that ABC, Hulu, or Netflix has produced and released is technically canon, so if you're just going to watch Canon MCU things, all you have to worry about are the currently released 23 films, the 5 Marvel One-Shots, and the currently released 3 Disney+ shows. There are also smaller bits and pieces like the WHIH News segments that led up to the release of Ant-Man (featuring Scott Lang), and maaaaaybe the Team Thor shorts, though their canonicity could be debated.

As for my MCU rewatch so far, I've gotten through most of Phase 1, and today I plan on watching Captain America: The First Avenger! Fun fact, there's a bit of the score in this film that Silvestri brings back in Endgame as the start of the "Portals" Scene. The scene in TFA is where Steve is in Italy and it's raining, there's a quiet version of the horn theme and swell that (ten years) later shows up as the start of "Portals". Brilliant moment, reflecting on Steve feeling alone at both times, but in TFA, he decides to be the rescuer, and in Endgame, is the one who is rescued. Silvestri is just a genius.

Here's the Italy score from TFA: https://youtu.be/GWKgx76t7Ko

And here is "Portals" from Endgame:
https://youtu.be/F_mhWxOjxp4

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #338 on: June 28, 2021, 02:24:50 PM »
Yeah the deal with Agents of SHIELD is weird.  I don't know if I've ever read that it's not canon, but neither have I read that it is.

At the very least, it ran for seven years and starred Coulson, who is supposedly dead in the MCU.  It's probably a matter of them never specifically addressing the issue, so they can keep their options open, but Coulson was obviously very involved in the formation of The Avengers, and you'd think that if he were alive, there would be some mention somewhere in the MCU.  Hell, Fury himself guest starred on Agents of SHIELD, had actual conversations with him, as did Lady Sif and (I think) Maria Hill.  But in the MCU, not a peep.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: June 29, 2021, 07:59:44 AM »
There was one oblique reference to Agents of SHIELD in Age of Ultron, when Fury references where the Helicarriers came from. 

When the TV shows were first announced, it was stated that it was all the same universe, so, in my mind, they remain cannon until  explicitly stated otherwise.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #340 on: June 29, 2021, 08:53:59 AM »
Most people know the practical issues that happened--it was originally intended to be canon, but then the folks in charge of the films stopped communicating with the folks on the TV side.  And as a result, little continuity errors started to occur.  And although the TV side tried their best to drop a reference every now and then (Thanos in S6, for example), it seems like they just threw caution to the wind, completely dropped all pretense, and did whatever they wanted in S7.  I treat it like I did reading comics back in the day.  Where you have completely different writers doing different storylines in different books at different times, you are going to get some things that are inconsistent if you try to hold them up next to each other.  But you just ignore it and pretend it all works, and it's fine.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: June 29, 2021, 09:02:53 AM »
Chiming in (and leaving so I don't get spoiled) to say that I was not much of a fan of Captain Marvel.  Found the story a bit confusing (and maybe this is due to watching in chronological order) at first but also just found it to be mostly uninteresting other than all the 90s jokes (which I did enjoy as a 90s kid). 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #342 on: June 29, 2021, 09:39:06 AM »
Chiming in (and leaving so I don't get spoiled) to say that I was not much of a fan of Captain Marvel.  Found the story a bit confusing (and maybe this is due to watching in chronological order) at first but also just found it to be mostly uninteresting other than all the 90s jokes (which I did enjoy as a 90s kid). 

Don't worry.  Although it got overall positive reviews, a good many rank it near or at the bottom in the MCU.  It definitely isn't just you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #343 on: June 29, 2021, 09:45:57 AM »

It's not a bad movie by any stretch, but it did feel a bit flat. Lots of really great moments, but overall it felt a bit misunderstood by the directors or writers. It just didn't feel like anyone had a strong handle on who the character is and therefore there was not a ton to her.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #344 on: June 29, 2021, 09:55:47 AM »
Plus I found Brie Larson wooden in her delivery.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #345 on: June 29, 2021, 09:58:37 AM »

I bet she’d find you wooden at her delivery.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #346 on: June 29, 2021, 10:00:15 AM »

I bet she’d find you wooden at her delivery.

In my youth maybe. Now, I'm more of a shrubbery.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #347 on: June 29, 2021, 10:03:57 AM »
There was one oblique reference to Agents of SHIELD in Age of Ultron, when Fury references where the Helicarriers came from. 

Can you elaborate?  I'm not familiar with the reference.

When the TV shows were first announced, it was stated that it was all the same universe, so, in my mind, they remain cannon until  explicitly stated otherwise.

They were definitely canon at first, but as Bosk points out, that later because difficult to keep up.

Most people know the practical issues that happened--it was originally intended to be canon, but then the folks in charge of the films stopped communicating with the folks on the TV side.  And as a result, little continuity errors started to occur.  And although the TV side tried their best to drop a reference every now and then (Thanos in S6, for example), it seems like they just threw caution to the wind, completely dropped all pretense, and did whatever they wanted in S7.  I treat it like I did reading comics back in the day.  Where you have completely different writers doing different storylines in different books at different times, you are going to get some things that are inconsistent if you try to hold them up next to each other.  But you just ignore it and pretend it all works, and it's fine.

Oh yeah, I get all that.  And really, the stuff they got into in the last couple seasons of Agents of SHIELD had almost nothing to do with events in the MCU, so it was fine anyway.  I watched the show until the end, and enjoyed it.  But the deal with Coulson still sticks out for me.  He's obviously very alive in Agents of SHIELD (then killed, then alive again, etc) but in the MCU, he was killed by Loki and never heard from again.  They've intentionally never mentioned him ever again (and of course in-universe that makes sense because he's dead.  I just wish they'd say so).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #348 on: June 29, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »

Can you elaborate?  I'm not familiar with the reference.

IIRC, Fury gets the new helicarrier from Coulson, because by that point, all previously known helicarriers were destroyed, but I think Coulson managed to get one out to Fury just in time for the climax of AOU. It wasn't explicitly stated in the film, but if youbhad watched AOS, I believe it was brought up. I think I saw that episode but it's been YEARS since then.

-Marc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #349 on: June 29, 2021, 10:36:07 AM »
Yea, AOS explained where the ship came from, but the movie didn't mention it.

It's a bit like that scene in Community when Jack Black shows up and you see a bunch of old scenes where he's inserted but no one notices.
fanticide.bandcamp.com