Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69657 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2021, 08:17:09 AM »
New Eternals trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVDKZJkGlY

My excitement for this is ramping up a little.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2021, 08:49:21 AM »
Same here,

I am very curious as to why they did not interfered with any of the previous events. I feel this movie will set up Marvel for the next couple of years in terms of plot :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2021, 02:01:20 PM »
Got me looking forward!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2021, 03:06:18 PM »
I am very curious as to why they did not interfered with any of the previous events.
I think this is always going to be a big question with new characters like this. Curious if they'll address it or just ignore it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2021, 04:25:32 PM »
I am very curious as to why they did not interfered with any of the previous events.
I think this is always going to be a big question with new characters like this. Curious if they'll address it or just ignore it.

Maybe they did interfere in one of the 14M other timelines Strange saw, but none of those were winners.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2021, 04:33:41 PM »
Same here,

I am very curious as to why they did not interfered with any of the previous events. I feel this movie will set up Marvel for the next couple of years in terms of plot :corn

From what I’ve read in the comics they have a very specific mission in mind. They defend the earth, not necessarily specific people on it. I doubt they cared a ton about thanos doing his thing or Loki or ultras taking over since the earth would’ve been fine. I’m guessing they’re choosing to interfere now because the Celestials are coming back. Then again, I dunno if they’ve changed much from the comics.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2021, 06:02:07 AM »
I watched The Avengers: Infinity War and...   it was a lot.   My daughter said I was going to "poop" when I saw it, and she was crying like a baby at the end (Groot, Spider-Man).  I didn't, but I've been thinking about it most of last night and this morning (which sucks, because I have a presentation to do later this morning). 

It was a lot.  I know too much, in a sense, so I know some things have to change, but for the life of me I have no idea how they're going to get there. 

I will say, Thanos is a better character than I thought he was going to be.  I don't know if it's just because I'm surprised at how good the effects were, or the degree to which they developed his motivations (compared to his previous appearances) but it was solid.   I haven't watched any of the movies a second time yet (except for the first two, just because I watched them so long ago) but this may be the first.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2021, 06:12:10 AM »
I saw IW four times in the theater, and have probably re-watched it just as many at home.  Endgame I saw twice in theater, and re-watched 3 or 4 times.  I think overall, IW is the better movie, the the climax of Endgame is beyond god-tier.  As incredible the Wakanda/Titan sequences were... Endgame says, "Hold My Beer" - but in a good way.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2021, 06:59:34 AM »
I saw IW four times in the theater, and have probably re-watched it just as many at home.  Endgame I saw twice in theater, and re-watched 3 or 4 times.  I think overall, IW is the better movie, the the climax of Endgame is beyond god-tier.  As incredible the Wakanda/Titan sequences were... Endgame says, "Hold My Beer" - but in a good way.

On your left....

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2021, 07:57:46 AM »
I watched The Avengers: Infinity War and...   it was a lot.   My daughter said I was going to "poop" when I saw it, and she was crying like a baby at the end (Groot, Spider-Man).  I didn't, but I've been thinking about it most of last night and this morning (which sucks, because I have a presentation to do later this morning). 

It was a lot.  I know too much, in a sense, so I know some things have to change, but for the life of me I have no idea how they're going to get there. 

I will say, Thanos is a better character than I thought he was going to be.  I don't know if it's just because I'm surprised at how good the effects were, or the degree to which they developed his motivations (compared to his previous appearances) but it was solid.   I haven't watched any of the movies a second time yet (except for the first two, just because I watched them so long ago) but this may be the first.

"It was a lot" sounds about right. I remember leaving the theater with a "WTF just happened" reaction, and not even knowing what to say.

Be happy you don't need to wait a year to watch Endgame, with a different theory about the movie on every website you visited (Though some of them were funny).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »
Like the antman up Thanos' ass one?

Online Adami

« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2021, 09:17:50 AM »

Talk about a missed opportunity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2021, 09:21:12 AM »

Infinity War is my favorite MCU film.  Endgame is close.  But Infinity War is SO good on so many levels.  Endgame does quite a few things arguably even better, including huge emotional impact.  The only small issue I have (no spoilers--don't worry), which others will likely agree with, is that it...let's just say it pushes the envelope a bit farther in terms of having to suspend belief.  Not a huge issue.  But it goes just far enough that it gets the #2 spot rather than the #1 (and Spiderman: Homecoming is my #3). 

Yeah, it is "a lot."  In many ways.  In terms of plot alone, it does SO MUCH, and has so many characters and so many settings.  And yet, it doesn't really feel rushed or feel like they shortchanged any of the storylines.  Yes, it moves at a breakneck pace.  But that pace serves the story rather than detracting from it.  It feels like it needs to move at a breakneck pace because that is what Thanos would be doing under the circumstances. 

And yeah, Thanos is a great character.  Infinity War really is his movie.  The only character that comes close in terms of character arc in this film alone is Thor.  But everything centers on Thanos.  And to me, it is fascinating that probably the best and most significant feeling relationships in this movie all seem to revolve around Thanos.  The two biggest and perhaps most obvious are Thor's relationship with Thanos and Tony's relationship with Thanos.  Both Thor and Tony are driven because of what Thanos has done and is doing.  But to a lesser extent, that is true of a lot of other characters as well, even those who maybe didn't really even know about Thanos before the events of this film.  Gamorrah, Starlord, Nebula, Drax, Vision, Wanda...  All were driven, to a great extent, either by a direct past relationship with Thanos or by things he did in the past that they discovered him to be behind in this film.  It was really done quite brilliantly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2021, 09:39:27 AM »

Talk about a missed opportunity.

:lol Yup, that was one of them. Maybe we will see it in the "What If...?" series.

I agree with Bosk that this was Thanos movie, he was the protagonist, not the avengers.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2021, 11:19:27 AM »

Infinity War is my favorite MCU film.  Endgame is close.  But Infinity War is SO good on so many levels.  Endgame does quite a few things arguably even better, including huge emotional impact.  The only small issue I have (no spoilers--don't worry), which others will likely agree with, is that it...let's just say it pushes the envelope a bit farther in terms of having to suspend belief.  Not a huge issue.  But it goes just far enough that it gets the #2 spot rather than the #1 (and Spiderman: Homecoming is my #3). 

Yeah, it is "a lot."  In many ways.  In terms of plot alone, it does SO MUCH, and has so many characters and so many settings.  And yet, it doesn't really feel rushed or feel like they shortchanged any of the storylines.  Yes, it moves at a breakneck pace.  But that pace serves the story rather than detracting from it.  It feels like it needs to move at a breakneck pace because that is what Thanos would be doing under the circumstances. 

And yeah, Thanos is a great character.  Infinity War really is his movie.  The only character that comes close in terms of character arc in this film alone is Thor.  But everything centers on Thanos.  And to me, it is fascinating that probably the best and most significant feeling relationships in this movie all seem to revolve around Thanos.  The two biggest and perhaps most obvious are Thor's relationship with Thanos and Tony's relationship with Thanos.  Both Thor and Tony are driven because of what Thanos has done and is doing.  But to a lesser extent, that is true of a lot of other characters as well, even those who maybe didn't really even know about Thanos before the events of this film.  Gamorrah, Starlord, Nebula, Drax, Vision, Wanda...  All were driven, to a great extent, either by a direct past relationship with Thanos or by things he did in the past that they discovered him to be behind in this film.  It was really done quite brilliantly.

I was most moved by the Thanos/Gamorrah scene.  And while I didn't cry, it seemed the most...  real.   I have no real belief that Dr. Strange's (my favorite MCU character) fate is final, but maybe Gamorrah's is, so it felt more emotional.  Don't tell me, but I'm still struggling with her asking Quill for a "favor", based on something SHE knew and Thanos didn't.  I'm not sure I've sussed all that out yet.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2021, 04:48:01 PM »

I was most moved by the Thanos/Gamorrah scene.  And while I didn't cry, it seemed the most...  real.   I have no real belief that Dr. Strange's (my favorite MCU character) fate is final, but maybe Gamorrah's is, so it felt more emotional.  Don't tell me, but I'm still struggling with her asking Quill for a "favor", based on something SHE knew and Thanos didn't.  I'm not sure I've sussed all that out yet.

Gamora was a real stand-out for me in IW, just as much as Thanos was. Their scenes were some of the most engaging in the film, both at Nowhere (RIP Collector) and at Vormir. And speaking of Vormir, what did you think of the return of the Red Skull? Sadly, he wasn't portrayed by Hugo Weaving, but Ross Marquand did a great job bringing the character back into the MCU. I hope he pops up again, maybe in a future Cap movie!

Given how un-busy my summer is going to be this year, I've planned out a massive MCU re-watch starting in late June, to coincide with the release of Black Widow. Assuming the film has Thursday night preview showings on July 8th, here's what my schedule will be for the MCU re-watch, featuring just the films at the Disney+ shows:

6/24 - Iron Man
6/25 - The Incredible Hulk
6/26 - Iron Man 2
6/27 - Thor
6/28 - Captain America: The First Avenger
6/29 - Avengers
6/30 - Iron Man 3
7/1 - Thor: The Dark World
7/2 - Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 1
7/3 - Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
7/4 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Happy Independence Day!!!)
7/5 - Avengers: Age Of Ultron
7/6 - Ant-Man
7/7 - Captain America: Civil War
7/8 - Black Widow
7/9 - Black Panther
7/10 - Spider-Man: Homecoming
7/11 - Doctor Strange
7/12 - Thor: Ragnarok
7/13 - Avengers: Infinity War
7/14 - And-Man & The Wasp
7/15 - Captain Marvel
7/16 - Avengers: Endgame
7/17 - WandaVision (Episodes 1-5)
7/18 - WandaVision (Episodes 6-9)
7/19 - The Falcon And The Winter Soldier (Episodes 1-3)
7/20 - The Falcon And The Winter Soldier (Episodes 4-6)
7/21 - Spider-Man: Far From Home

And depending on the timeline of the show (which might be irrelevant), Loki might come before WandaVision, or after Spider-Man: FFH. Either way, it'll get a re-watch later this summer, definitely before What If...? starts airing, which is supposedly in August at some point.

It's been a couple of years since I've watched most of these films, back when I rewatched them all after Endgame came out, but before/during the release of Far From Home. I think I timed my rewatch schedule around the BD release of Endgame (which would've been around August 2019 I think). Of course, if I happened to have work or am busy otherwise, all dates are subject to change and shuffling, though I do want to try and catch up to Civil War by July 7th so I can be fresh for Black Widow that weekend. And if I am up for it, I'll be sure to post my thoughts on these films as I revisit them!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:15:01 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2021, 05:17:41 PM »

Gamora was a real stand-out for me in IW, just as much as Thanos was. Their scenes were some of the most engaging in the film, both at Nowhere (RIP Collector) and at Vormir. And speaking of Vormir, what did you think of the return of the Red Skull? Sadly, he wasn't portrayed by Hugo Weaving, but Ross Marquand did a great job bringing the character back into the MCU. I hope he pops up again, maybe in a future Cap movie!

HAHA, my daughter and I were arguing about that, until they said something in the movie.   I also liked the appearance of Tyrion Lannister.  What he's doing in the MCU is beyond me, but still!  :) :)

Look, no spoilers, but when someone dies in a superhero movie, it's only like 50-50 that it's real.   I know for a fact that some of the people who were vaporized have some.... future in the series in some form or fashion.  I'm hoping Gamorrah is in that group.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2021, 10:59:16 PM »
So...you have Ant Man and The Wasp, Endgame, and Spiderman: Far from Home to go for phase 3.  All (most) questions will be answered.  :)

I suspect that when you are done, you may want to do a rewatch of Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Endgame (and maybe Far from Home).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2021, 12:53:21 AM »
So...you have Ant Man and The Wasp, Endgame, and Spiderman: Far from Home to go for phase 3.  All (most) questions will be answered.  :)

I suspect that when you are done, you may want to do a rewatch of Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Endgame (and maybe Far from Home).

No Captain Marvel? Or did he see that one already? It was released just before Endgame.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2021, 06:03:46 AM »

No Captain Marvel? Or did he see that one already? It was released just before Endgame.

-Marc.

I watched it a while ago.  I don't remember the exact order (as I watched them, I put an asterisk next to them, but like an idiot, I renumbered only the films I have remaining).   

I'm already going to rewatch IW before Endgame, since my wife missed the last half hour or so, and I am waiting for my daughter to be home to watch AM&W, Endgame and Spider-Man with all three of us.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2021, 12:42:02 PM »

Given how un-busy my summer is going to be this year, I've planned out a massive MCU re-watch starting in late June, to coincide with the release of Black Widow. Assuming the film has Thursday night preview showings on July 8th, here's what my schedule will be for the MCU re-watch, featuring just the films at the Disney+ shows:

6/24 - Iron Man
6/26 - Iron Man 2
6/27 - Thor
6/29 - Avengers
6/30 - Iron Man 3
7/3 - Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 4
7/6 - Ant-Man
7/8 - Black Widow
7/9 - Black Panther
7/11 - Doctor Strange
7/15 - Captain Marvel

And depending on the timeline of the show (which might be irrelevant), Loki might come before WandaVision, or after Spider-Man: FFH. Either way, it'll get a re-watch later this summer, definitely before What If...? starts airing, which is supposedly in August at some point.

It's been a couple of years since I've watched most of these films, back when I rewatched them all after Endgame came out, but before/during the release of Far From Home. I think I timed my rewatch schedule around the BD release of Endgame (which would've been around August 2019 I think). Of course, if I happened to have work or am busy otherwise, all dates are subject to change and shuffling, though I do want to try and catch up to Civil War by July 7th so I can be fresh for Black Widow that weekend. And if I am up for it, I'll be sure to post my thoughts on these films as I revisit them!

-Marc.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 4?!? I think I missed Vol 2 and 3, are those any good?  :rollin

Online The Letter M

« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2021, 01:14:27 PM »

6/24 - Iron Man
6/26 - Iron Man 2
6/27 - Thor
6/29 - Avengers
6/30 - Iron Man 3
7/3 - Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 4
7/6 - Ant-Man
7/8 - Black Widow
7/9 - Black Panther
7/11 - Doctor Strange
7/15 - Captain Marvel

-Marc.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 4?!? I think I missed Vol 2 and 3, are those any good?  :rollin

Oops! A typo.... I meant Vol. 2!!!

-Marc.

Online Adami

« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2021, 04:25:18 PM »
My girlfriend and I are still doing our huge rewatch. All re-watch for me, some of them are a first for her, and the ones she's seen, she doesn't remember too well, so it's been a lot of fun. She also has no comics knowledge and didn't see a ton of stuff on the internet. So I get to see her watch movies without knowing what's happening (with exceptions). Last movie we did was Dr. Strange which followed Black Panther. This weekend we'll do Thor Ragnorok and then I guess a week later get to Ant-Man and the Wasp. I'll try to get her to agree to Infinity War (which she has seen but mostly forgot and had virtually no context when she saw it the first time) and Endgame in the same weekend. Should be fun!

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2021, 04:54:04 PM »
You're going to watch Ant Man and Wasp before Infinity War?

Online Adami

« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2021, 04:56:32 PM »
You're going to watch Ant Man and Wasp before Infinity War?

Yup! Other than the post credit scene, it largely takes place before or during. It just feels weird. Narratively to show half the planet dusting and then do a whole movie before that happens. But I rearranged some of the post credits scenes to make more sense too. So after infinity war, we’ll watch the AntMan dusting scene followed by Captain Marvel’s post credit scene. Makes more sense that way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2021, 04:59:27 PM »
Oh...  Well then...  Go forth with my blessing.

I never stopped to think about it in these terms, but that post-credit scene is perhaps the event with the single biggest impact on the MCU that is in a post-credit scene rather than a film proper.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #236 on: May 26, 2021, 09:05:15 PM »

I never stopped to think about it in these terms, but that post-credit scene is perhaps the event with the single biggest impact on the MCU that is in a post-credit scene rather than a film proper.

Yup, either that or Thanos grabbed the gauntlet and saying 'Fine, I'll do it myself..'

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2021, 04:53:43 AM »

Yup, either that or Thanos grabbed the gauntlet and saying 'Fine, I'll do it myself..'

Except they retconned that given he didn’t use the REAL gauntlet.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2021, 06:02:01 AM »

Wait, what?  (Bearing in mind I am post-Infinity War and pre-Ant Man and Wasp and pre-Endgame)

I'm going to re-watch Infinity War with the wife, then we're going to bang out AM&W and Endgame with my daughter.  Try to do all that this weekend, maybe.

Online Adami

« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2021, 06:38:46 AM »

What? I don’t think so. I think they said the one Odin had was fake.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2021, 06:57:31 AM »

Wait, what?  (Bearing in mind I am post-Infinity War and pre-Ant Man and Wasp and pre-Endgame)

I'm going to re-watch Infinity War with the wife, then we're going to bang out AM&W and Endgame with my daughter.  Try to do all that this weekend, maybe.

The gauntlet he used in IW was forged by Eitri.  My assumption then is that THAT gauntlet is not THE real one. Whether the one in Odin’s vault is THE real one or not, it wasn’t the one he used for The Snap.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2021, 07:38:24 AM »
I could be wrong, but the "Fine, I'll do it myself" scene is supposed to happened right before he goes to Xandar to get the Power Stone.

The fake gauntlet we see in Ragnarok was supposed to be from Odin's earlier days as as conqueror, which is why Hela knows it is fake. But the design was there, and it's why Thanos went to Nidavellir to get one made for him (real one).

Maybe I'm just reading to much into it, but that's how I saw it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2021, 07:42:24 AM »
Also, the most I get from that scene was the decision by Thanos to cut out the middlemen and get personally involved.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2021, 08:19:28 AM »
I could be wrong, but the "Fine, I'll do it myself" scene is supposed to happened right before he goes to Xandar to get the Power Stone.

The fake gauntlet we see in Ragnarok was supposed to be from Odin's earlier days as as conqueror, which is why Hela knows it is fake. But the design was there, and it's why Thanos went to Nidavellir to get one made for him (real one).

Again, I say "wait, what?"   Should I know this at this point?   Have I missed something if I don't even know there are two gauntlets out there? 

Online faizoff

« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2021, 08:24:44 AM »

Again, I say "wait, what?"   Should I know this at this point?   Have I missed something if I don't even know there are two gauntlets out there? 

The scene in Ragnarok where Hela knocks down the Infinity Gauntlet as fake, closes a plot point many hardcore fans saw or perceived as a loophole. In the first Thor movie, there is a tiny glimpse (literally a couple of frames) of the Infinity Gauntlet that got everyone very excited as the place where it was being stored.

In the 2nd Avengers movie, there was the post credit scene where they show Thanos grabbing the Infinity Gauntlet saying "Fine I'll do it myself". This brought about the conversation if Thanos had it all along, what was that in the 1st Thor movie. So while minor and inconsequential to 95% of MCU movie watchers, that scene in Ragnarok closes out that loophole.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan