Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69648 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2021, 06:53:37 PM »
They used bootleg audience reaction footage... Is Marvel going to copyright strike themselves?

Apparently it was filmed by the Russos when they went to see it.

Still a crime. Disney is gonna blacklist The Russo's for sure.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2021, 08:28:44 PM »
They used bootleg audience reaction footage... Is Marvel going to copyright strike themselves?

Still a crime. Disney is gonna blacklist The Russo's for sure.

Just like how they fired James Gunn...oh wait.

Also, the Russos are responsible for two of the five highest grossing films of all time. If they want to come back for another Captain America or Avengers film, and Feige thinks they'll be good for it, I doubt Disney would deny them the chance.

As for today's teaser, the new footage of The Eternals has me extremely hyped, and I hope it does as well as GOTG Vol. 1 did in terms of creating a likeable ensemble cast out of mostly unknown comic book characters. Then again, before the MCU, unless you read comics, no one really knew who Iron Man or Thor were.

It still blows my mind that we're getting SEVEN MCU films between this July and July 2022, with Wakanda Forever capping that run, which sounds like it'll pay tribute to Chadwick in a beautiful way with his rallying cry from Infinity War so aptly spliced into the montage.

The Marvels has a fun title card with further confirmation of Photon's and Ms. Marvel's involvement.

I'm wondering if Disney/Marvel still have the supposed October 2022 release date earmarked for another MCU film, which was announced last year, but they glossed right over it in the video. I was certain it would be Ant-Man 3 since Michael Douglas previously said it would come out in 2022, but I guess it got bumped back to 2023.

Maybe they decided to lay off on October 2022, or perhaps it'll be a surprise film, like Captain America 4 or Deadpool 3? Still no sign of Blade or a Mutant-centric film. Either way, with ten films in the next two years, and at least 10 more Disney+ shows in the pipeline, it's a damn good time to be a Marvel/MCU fan!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:46:50 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2021, 11:53:32 PM »

Still a crime.
Not if it's for your own personal use, it isn't (or in this case, Disney's own use).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2021, 03:21:35 AM »
I wasn't being serious.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2021, 04:05:31 AM »
I wasn't being serious.
I know, I was just being informative for the benefit of others. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2021, 07:23:54 AM »
Marvel just does everything a bazillion times better than everyone else. I still watch audience reaction vids of the 'On Your Left' scene just to relive the energy of that opening night, and it still gives me fucking chills every goddamn time.

That's me with Thor's arrival to Wakanda from IW. Opening night for IW was intense!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2021, 09:24:54 AM »
Marvel just does everything a bazillion times better than everyone else. I still watch audience reaction vids of the 'On Your Left' scene just to relive the energy of that opening night, and it still gives me fucking chills every goddamn time.

That's me with Thor's arrival to Wakanda from IW. Opening night for IW was intense!

Totally agree. Can't wait to relive it again, I've already committed to myself to be there opening night IMAX for black widow.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2021, 08:50:00 AM »
Still no sign of Blade or a Mutant-centric film.
That's fine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2021, 10:31:41 AM »
https://youtu.be/mNyLzc3MU_E

Tom Hiddleston has announced that Loki will now premier on June 9th (6/9...nice).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2021, 10:51:59 AM »
https://youtu.be/mNyLzc3MU_E

Tom Hiddleston has announced that Loki will now premier on June 9th (6/9...nice).

-Marc.

Invariably to not conflict/compete with the releases of The Bad Batch.  Good move, to spread them out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #185 on: May 05, 2021, 07:00:40 PM »
And also so episode 5 won’t come out the same day Black Widow does.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2021, 10:23:35 PM »
Iron Man 2 turned 11 today (May 7th), and had Black Widow not been delayed again, it would've come out 11 years after ScarJo debuted as Natasha Romanoff.

-Marc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2021, 12:52:20 PM »
So....

Daughter home from school and so we watched Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok.   

Indifferent on Black Panther; it was good not great.  I liked Chadwick Bozeman, and it was great to see Sterling K. Brown and Angela Bassett.   Michael B. Jordan was annoying AF.   I liked the battle around the train, but some of the fight scenes looked fake to me.

Thor: Ragnarok was a-MAZing, one of the best of the group so far.   I generally HATE humor in these types of movies, because it usually takes the form of those stupid "Hasta la vista, babay!" quips that I can't stand, but that was legit one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time, and yet it never once ever took anything away from the battles themselves.   Getting not one but TWO fight scenes set to Led Zeppelin's "The Immigrant Song" was like a special little birthday present at the mid-year point. Idris Elba, under-used, but still excellent; Tessa Thompson, excellent (need to see more of her, and maybe kick Natalie Portman to the curb!) and they even made Cate Blanchett, dare I say, HOT (at least when her hair was down; she looked ridiculous in the antler set). 

Nice touch with the Matt Damon, Luke Hemsworth and Sam Neill cameos.

Infinity War up next!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2021, 01:13:23 PM »
Man, are you in for a treat or the next 5 hours of viewing.  I re-watched both IW and Endgame a few weeks back.  Damn good stuff.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2021, 01:20:21 PM »
Indifferent on Black Panther; it was good not great.  I liked Chadwick Bozeman, and it was great to see Sterling K. Brown and Angela Bassett.   Michael B. Jordan was annoying AF.   I liked the battle around the train, but some of the fight scenes looked fake to me.

Agreed that it was "good not great."  But there were lots of individual things that were great to me.  I like Chadwick Bozeman, but his accent has never sounded genuine to me, which makes an otherwise pretty good performance by him seem a bit stilted.  Mbaku as a character was a bit problematic for me.  I like the character and like what they did with him overall.  But the fact that he was ready to kill T'Challa during the initial fight for the throne didn't feel consistent with how his motivations and character were fleshed out later on.  And I liked how they played Michael B. Jordan's character, but I do not think that he was one of the best Marvel villains, as some have said.  As a villain, I thought he was "good not great."  And I totally agree with the train fight scene.  Good battle.  But at times, it looked so fake CGI that it took me out of the moment.  But overall, good movie with some good messaging.

Hopefully, you watched the the mid-credit and post-credit scenes.  I forget which is which now, but one is pretty important.  (and the other is just cool, even though it may not have much direct bearing on the MCU)

Thor: Ragnarok was a-MAZing, one of the best of the group so far.   I generally HATE humor in these types of movies, because it usually takes the form of those stupid "Hasta la vista, babay!" quips that I can't stand, but that was legit one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time, and yet it never once ever took anything away from the battles themselves.   Getting not one but TWO fight scenes set to Led Zeppelin's "The Immigrant Song" was like a special little birthday present at the mid-year point. Idris Elba, under-used, but still excellent; Tessa Thompson, excellent (need to see more of her, and maybe kick Natalie Portman to the curb!) and they even made Cate Blanchett, dare I say, HOT (at least when her hair was down; she looked ridiculous in the antler set).

Yeah, agreed on most of that.  The issues I had with this one typically get overlooked by most, so must just be me.  :dunno:  But still excellent movie overall.  Hopefully, you watched the mid-credits and post-credit scenes on this one as well.  If you haven't, go back and do so before going any farther.  Please.

And I totally agree with you on the humor aspect.  Pretty much all of it really hit home for me.

I just did a sequential watch of Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Endgame recently.  And this isn't really a spoiler (well, I guess it technically is, but is VERY minor).  But given what Strange says in Ragnarok about actively monitoring beings that are a threat to earth, I am kinda surprised that he apparently doesn't know who Thanos is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2021, 02:02:41 PM »
There are mid-credit scenes now?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2021, 02:06:18 PM »
???  There have been for quite some time now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2021, 02:12:21 PM »
I watch maybe a couple new films a year (not counting the ones I sleep through with my kids during family movie night).  And I haven't sat through the entire credits ever.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online faizoff

« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2021, 02:48:35 PM »
After the movie ends and the special credits sequence starts Marvel movies typically have a scene right after that ends often referred to as the mid-credit scene. Then they almost always have a scene right after all the credits roll a good 10 mins or so after.

If you attend the movies with the full-on Marvel crowd on opening night or weekend, almost no one will get up from their seats until the very end.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2021, 02:56:57 PM »
Yeah; both BP and T:R had a stylized credits - artwork, fancy type - then a cut scene, then more standard credits - white letters on a black backdrop - and then a final cut scene.

And yes I watched both for both films.

I'm surprised someone called Michael B. Jordan one of the "best Marvel villains".   I don't have a list, but if I did, he's not even in the top ten.  Maybe not top 15. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2021, 03:11:24 PM »
I couldn't possibly do a ranking, but he subjectively feels like he would fall around bottom end of my top 10 or so. 

Hela is a hard one to place for me.  I mostly want to place her pretty high up.  But it viscerally bothers me that they way overpowered her/underpowered the "normal" Asgardians.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2021, 07:57:53 PM »

I'm surprised someone called Michael B. Jordan one of the "best Marvel villains".

Unlike most villains he actually has legitimate grievances with how Wakanda has operated, and has noble goals, if not methods.  In the end, T'Challa actually accepts that Killmonger was right that Wakanda needed to no longer remain isolationist, instead using their resources to help others.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: May 19, 2021, 07:16:02 AM »

I'm surprised someone called Michael B. Jordan one of the "best Marvel villains".

Unlike most villains he actually has legitimate grievances with how Wakanda has operated, and has noble goals, if not methods.  In the end, T'Challa actually accepts that Killmonger was right that Wakanda needed to no longer remain isolationist, instead using their resources to help others.

Okay, I guess, but I'm not exactly swimming in feelings of "nobility" when a guy has so many kills his torso looks like an alligator skin wallet.   Treading on thin P/R ice here, I guess, but just "wanting to help others who are like him" isn't the silver bullet that I think it is to some others. For me, that doesn't excuse everything else.  To me, he was, like most villains, just someone who wanted things to be HIS way and wasn't interested in playing nice with others.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #198 on: May 19, 2021, 08:39:16 AM »
To me, he was, like most villains, just someone who wanted things to be HIS way and wasn't interested in playing nice with others.

Exactly.  His purpose being "understandable" doesn't make it "noble." 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #199 on: May 19, 2021, 01:29:25 PM »
Stadler, hurry up and watch Infinity War!

Note:  Chronologically, it picks up literally a few minutes after the end credits scene from Ragnarok.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2021, 04:09:34 PM »
... even made Cate Blanchett, dare I say, HOT

"Even" made her hot?

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2021, 04:56:10 PM »
Cate is a strange case.  She has nice features, and sometimes looks absolutely lovely (such as in the above picture), but most of the time she looks to me like a wet rag.  Something is just off, way off, and I've never really figured out what it is.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2021, 07:05:15 PM »
I’ve never been a fan of that slim, elegant, regal look. Just does nothing for me at all.

I like em short and thick.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2021, 07:12:47 PM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jammindude

« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2021, 10:46:04 PM »
 :rollin

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #205 on: May 20, 2021, 12:04:38 AM »
 :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #206 on: May 20, 2021, 02:28:48 AM »
Going to be a fun 19 Marvel months - 8 movies and 6 or 7 shows all coming before 2023.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2021, 07:41:54 AM »
... even made Cate Blanchett, dare I say, HOT

"Even" made her hot?

She looks great there, no doubt.  I can't say I feel that way all the time.  I'm more of a classic beauty guy, and while not quite to Jammin's standards, I'm not a fan of the waif look.    Margot Robbie, Kate Winslet...

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2021, 11:43:24 AM »

Okay, I guess, but I'm not exactly swimming in feelings of "nobility" when a guy has so many kills his torso looks like an alligator skin wallet.   Treading on thin P/R ice here, I guess, but just "wanting to help others who are like him" isn't the silver bullet that I think it is to some others. For me, that doesn't excuse everything else.  To me, he was, like most villains, just someone who wanted things to be HIS way and wasn't interested in playing nice with others.

Sharing Wakanda's resources to help the downtrodden is a noble goal, but, yeah, he IS a villain.  So, how he wants to go about that isn't good.  But it's much more nuanced than "conquer earth", or many of the other Marvel villain motivations thus far.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #209 on: May 20, 2021, 11:43:43 AM »
Build aside, I wasn't really aware of her beauty until I saw her on a chat show here in the UK about a decade back and I was just like  :o