Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69702 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2021, 07:01:09 PM »
I actually really like Iron Man 2 and Thor 2. I think with the 2nd Iron Man, they were beginning to put some pieces in play for the Avengers, we see Black Widow, more of Nick Fury and Colson and SHIELD has a bigger role. As many issues Thor 2 had with studio (Fiege?) interference, and the director not being happy neither was Charles Eccleston, I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

They aren't at the bottom of my ranking, Hulk and Guardian 2 would be there. Not that they are terrible
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2021, 07:02:32 PM »
You can make a 'realistic' Superman movie. Just make a Richard Donner superman movie but do as much in camera as you can.

I’ve never seen it, but a lot of people described Superman Returns exactly this way.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2021, 07:09:56 PM »
If I had to pick a least favorite, it would probably be IM3. And it’s still a 6.5/10. I just thought the Killian character was the lamest villain yet (but I loved Ben Kingsley’s performance) and the whole exploding plants turning people into either super-humans or super bombs had nothing to do with anything else in the MCU, and afterwards was completely dropped and never mentioned again.

If it weren’t for the excellent story line about Tony’s PTSD, and the follow up One Shot that established the real Mandarin, it would be a throw away.

All the rest are at least a 7 to me. Even both Thor’s, IM2 and TIH.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2021, 07:29:35 PM »
Same here, they're all at least a 7 for me. Even the bottom ranked ones.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2021, 12:51:03 AM »
*Christopher Eccleston ;)

And Superman Returns was great. It's just a shame it has the involvement of Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey...

And yeah Brandon Routh was a much better Superman than Henry Cavill.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2021, 05:24:58 AM »
*Christopher Eccleston ;)

And Superman Returns was great. It's just a shame it has the involvement of Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey...

And yeah Brandon Routh was a much better Superman than Henry Cavill.

Cavill is starting to win me over with other roles, I honestly think it's just the awful direction from Snyder that hampers his performance as Superman.

I always found Superman Returns quite a flat and forgettable film - Routh makes for a fine Superman/Clark, but Kate Bosworth is terrible.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2021, 08:26:38 AM »
Superman Returns was fucking awful.

Cavill is fantastic as Superman.  He's an excellent pick.  He's just never been in a good Superman film.  Of course, neither has anyone else.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2021, 09:58:20 AM »

I actually really like Iron Man 2 and Thor 2. I think with the 2nd Iron Man, they were beginning to put some pieces in play for the Avengers, we see Black Widow, more of Nick Fury and Colson and SHIELD has a bigger role. As many issues Thor 2 had with studio (Fiege?) interference, and the director not being happy neither was Charles Eccleston, I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

My personal theory is that Ike Perlmutter was behind most of the "studio interference".   He seems much more money-driven, while Feige actually seems to care about the artistic side.  Perlmutter's decisions mostly often came down to "what will sell the most toys?" He and Feige butted heads a lot, to the point that Feige was about ready to quit.  In 2015, Feige was given complete control of Marvel Studios (leaving Perlmutter in charge of Marvel TV and the comics).  Looking at the movies released after then, you see happier directors and far fewer obvious signs of "studio interference".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2021, 10:37:49 AM »
Feige understands that if you do your best on the story/creative side, the financial side will take care of itself.

And he's right.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »

no

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2021, 01:51:12 PM »
The MCU absolutely got better with each Phase.

Phase 1 is most of the worst ( least best ) movies like Hulk and the first two Thor and Iron Man 2. Phase 2 is way more consistent and Phase three has Thor Ragnarok and Infinity War/Endgame.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2021, 02:47:56 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2021, 03:34:12 PM »
Superman Returns dragged. I wanted to like it but it's a mediocre movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2021, 03:49:22 AM »
Superman IV : The Quest For Peace was fucking awful.

yes

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2021, 06:20:09 AM »

I don't think it's awful - I'd put it above Reeves 3rd and 4th films and Man of Steel......but it is completely pointless and pretty much forgettable now - much like the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man films really.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2021, 04:36:07 PM »
I liked Brandon Routh a huge amount more than Henry Cavill. It was, overall, a bit dull tho, imo.

There were some great moments. The jumbo jet scene. Routh channeled some Reeve quality every now and again.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2021, 05:01:49 PM »
God Dammit guys.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2021, 06:31:18 PM »
I don't remember much about Iron Man 2 because I remember when I did watch it, I thought it blew, so I've never seen it since.  I remember that Mickey Rourke was this ugly brooding guy that had some kind of beef with Stark, and Sam Rockwell played some smarmy guy named Justin who you just wanted to punch in the face really hard.  Sam Rockwell is one of my favorite actors and I've literally never seen him in anything and not be awesome, and this movie is no exception.  The problem is that he does it so well that I totally want to punch him in the face for two hours, and it never happens.  Not even the combined presence of Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johansson, Kate Mara, and Leslie Bibb could save this movie.  Mickey Rourke being ugly and brooding sure didn't help.  When a movie is so bad that it wastes a Sam Rockwell performance, it's bad.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
Henry Cavill is the best Superman ever.  Seriously, of the main Supermen, I think he's the best.   I'm sad that it appears he's been asked to move on.

Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johansson, Kate Mara, and Leslie Bibb

It's a running joke between my wife and daughter and I about the "talent" (yes, I'm being sexist here, but in my defense I'm being sexist both ways) in the MCU.   They have Liam Helmsley*, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans, Tom Hiddleston, Sebastian Stan, Chris Pratt, and I have...  what?    Zoe Soldana, but she's in green.   Cobie Smulders, but she's a bit part only in the action scenes.   Gwyneth Paltrow is okay, but she's more annoying than she is hot, so that detracts.  Not a fan of Natalie Portman (AT ALL), ScarJo, Kate Mara or Leslie Bibb.    You'd think for a bunch of nerds they'd put more eye-candy in there.  I guess that's Scarlett Johansen and Natalie Portman, but they don't really work for me. 

I have to make do with random Ming-Na Wen, Jaime Alexander, and Marisa Tomei sightings.

* Also a running joke; I know it's Chris Hemsworth.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 10:57:24 AM by Stadler »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2021, 08:15:11 AM »
You missed all the best ones!  Evangaline Lilly, Elizabeth Olson, Karen Gillian, Letitia Wright, Haley Atwell, Tessa Thompson, Brie Larsen

Oh, and I'll gladly take a green Zoe Saldana.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2021, 08:29:57 AM »
You missed all the best ones!  Evangaline Lilly, Elizabeth Olson, Karen Gillian, Letitia Wright, Haley Atwell, Tessa Thompson, Brie Larsen

Oh, and I'll gladly take a green Zoe Saldana.

Maybe, no, yes, maybe, maybe, YES, no.      You know how TAC always makes fun of me for picking the worst album by a band, or the worst song on an album, then loving it?  I'm kind of like that with women, too, I think.  What guy doesn't think Scarlett Johanson is all that and a bag of chips?  THIS GUY.   Evangaline Lilly looks good some of the time, but I don't get the love for Elizabeth Olson; she has that sort of sk8rgrrl, chipped nail polish thing going on that I really don't like.  Give you Karen Gillian, I forgot her.  Don't think I've seen Letitia Wright yet, but Haley Atwell sometimes looks pretty and sometimes she's all jawbone, and I don't like that sort of hard look.   Big win with Tessa Thompson, though I'll give you that.   100%.   Brie Larsen?  Eh.  Indifferent, and it doesn't help that I always think of that stupid Nissan commercial first.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2021, 09:34:54 AM »
Stadler is obviously a man of high standards and exacting taste.  In that list, I have only one Maybe, several Yes, and a few Hell Yes.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2021, 09:42:58 AM »
For my personal tastes, Scarlett is pretty fucking close to top of the list of all actresses.

All the others are stunning as well...but Scarlett.... Damn....

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2021, 09:49:23 AM »
For my personal tastes, Scarlett is pretty fucking close to top of the list of all actresses.

I don't get the love for Scarlett if we're talking looks. She's reasonably good looking, but not the goddess so many seem to think she is. To each their own I guess.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2021, 09:52:09 AM »

I don't get the love for Scarlett if we're talking looks. She's reasonably good looking, but not the goddess so many seem to think she is. To each their own I guess.

Iron Man 2 / Winter Soldier Scarlett >>>> IW/Endgame Scarlett.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2021, 10:08:04 AM »
No love for Pom Klementieff or Kat Dennings?

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2021, 10:14:37 AM »
Elizabeth
Scarlett
Pom
Kat
Hayley
Ming Na
Karen
Alison

Yes. A thousand times yes.

The rest? Stadler can have them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2021, 10:43:09 AM »
Henry Cavill is the best Superman ever.

No.

Out of all the Superman movies - he's the only one who doesn't act like a hero. He acts like he can't be f-ing bothered. Only cares about Lois and saving people is a chore.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2021, 10:43:40 AM »

Where's the clinking beer glasses emoji when you need it??

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2021, 10:45:51 AM »
No love for Pom Klementieff or Kat Dennings?

Pom, yes.  Actually, maybe a YES; I don't recall seeing her yet.  Kat, maybe.  I'm a fan of red lipstick, up until it looks like spackle and exceeds the lip boundaries*.  :)  It doesn't help that I don't like her wise-ass snark all that much.

(* While I'm not really joking, that's also an inside joke; sorry.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2021, 10:48:27 AM »
Henry Cavill is the best Superman ever.

No.

Out of all the Superman movies - he's the only one who doesn't act like a hero. He acts like he can't be f-ing bothered. Only cares about Lois and saving people is a chore.

But he's DREAMY.   I have absolutely zero desire to explore that aspect of my sexuality, but if I did, he, Matt Bomer, and Zak Efron would be at the top of the list.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 10:55:50 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2021, 10:55:29 AM »
Stadler is obviously a man of high standards and exacting taste.  In that list, I have only one Maybe, several Yes, and a few Hell Yes.

Not really, though.   I'm actually fairly forgiving, in that way:   I like long hair, and a pretty smile is an absolute deal breaker.  Other than that, anything is fair game.  I don't like angles (I'd take 20 pounds overweight before I'd take 20 pounds underweight all day long), I don't like huge puffy lips, and I don't like chipped nail polish (being serious).  Other than that, pretty tolerant.  Margot Robbie, Sarah Shahi, IN, Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts, OUT.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2021, 11:21:08 AM »
That was supposed to be a joke.  Jingle listed several women that many guys consider very attractive, and you came back with two Nos, two Yesses, and three Maybes.  Your standards are at the very least higher than most.

A non-joking way to put it would be to say that you're just too damned picky.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2021, 11:27:24 AM »
That was supposed to be a joke.  Jingle listed several women that many guys consider very attractive, and you came back with two Nos, two Yesses, and three Maybes.  Your standards are at the very least higher than most.

A non-joking way to put it would be to say that you're just too damned picky.

Haha, I guess.  I would have given Kirstie Alley a YES, if that helps.  :) :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2021, 11:28:59 AM »
Two words

Simone. Missick.

(Misty Knight in the Netflix shows)

But Hayley Atwell is an extremely close #2.