Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69652 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2021, 12:01:32 PM »

But did anyone truly think that anyone who died in Infinity War wasn't coming back ?
Wasn't really about that though. As you say, we knew some other films that were on their way involving dusted characters, plus they were hardly going to actually kill off half of their superhero roster permanently, so obviously we all assumed they'd come back somehow. But it will a thrilling experience because of:
 - Being surprised that they actually went ahead and did that in a major blockbuster movie;
 - Feeling the emotions of the characters and what they were going through;
 - Speculating about what would happen next and how things would get resolved (which none of us guessed correctly).

When I get choked up over a characters death, it's usually more about how that death impacts the other characters that gets me, more than the death itself.  That they may come back later doesn't negate the emotions of the other characters in that moment.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2021, 02:35:01 PM »

But did anyone truly think that anyone who died in Infinity War wasn't coming back ?
Wasn't really about that though. As you say, we knew some other films that were on their way involving dusted characters, plus they were hardly going to actually kill off half of their superhero roster permanently, so obviously we all assumed they'd come back somehow. But it will a thrilling experience because of:
 - Being surprised that they actually went ahead and did that in a major blockbuster movie;
 - Feeling the emotions of the characters and what they were going through;
 - Speculating about what would happen next and how things would get resolved (which none of us guessed correctly).

When I get choked up over a characters death, it's usually more about how that death impacts the other characters that gets me, more than the death itself.  That they may come back later doesn't negate the emotions of the other characters in that moment.
Absolutely. Marvel do that sort of thing really well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2021, 06:44:15 PM »
(replying to Stadler) I know you were working on seeing these in order. Please tell me you’ve seen Infinity War and Endgame by now.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2021, 06:45:23 PM »
Apart from Avengers and Iron Man - Phase 1 is not that great.

Iron Man 2 is just Mickey Rourke planning stuff for the whole film - only to turn up right at the end and almost immediately lose.

I can't even remember Sam Rockwell's part in it.

Phase 2 and 3 definitely improve as they go along. Plus I don't dislike Iron Man 3 - but I never read any comics so the Mandarin reveal went over my head

and I took it at face value.

Seriously????? Rockwell was the most entertaining character by far. You have strange taste.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2021, 02:36:47 AM »
Strange tastes - or I watched IM2 so long actually I - forgot what he did in it.

Like I said.............

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2021, 07:18:44 AM »
(replying to Stadler) I know you were working on seeing these in order. Please tell me you’ve seen Infinity War and Endgame by now.

I've watched 17 films so far.  I forget the order, so I can't remember the last one I watched (maybe Dr. Strange), but this is what I have left, and the order I'm probably going to watch them:

Black Panther
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War
Ant-Man And Wasp
Avengers: End Game
Spider-Man: Far From Home

So, no, on A:IW and A:EG. 

(But I was only kidding about the spoilers thing; I do not expect people to discuss this on my schedule.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2021, 08:23:39 AM »
For the ones you have left, that is the right order.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2021, 08:27:27 AM »
It shouldn't matter but Ragnarok released before Black Panther.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2021, 08:48:23 AM »
It shouldn't matter but Ragnarok released before Black Panther.

That is true, but Ragnarok flows better if seen right before IW because of, well, you know  :biggrin:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2021, 08:55:43 AM »
Exactly.  The order that Stadler has them is a much better viewing order.  Black Panther, love it or hate it, is "generic good guy vs. bad guy superhero movie" that moves the ball very little in terms of the Infinity Saga, other than just establishing the setting of Wakanda.  Ragnarok, on the other hand, is huge in terms of setting up Infinity War.

If I ever could find the time, I would love to do a partial rewatch of Thor's journey by doing:
Thor
Avengers
Thor II
Avengers Age of Ultron
Ragnarok
Infinity War
Endgame
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2021, 09:01:45 AM »
True, I had forgotten the setup for Infinity War is Ragnarok. I was just going by year and sequence of release and as I said not a big deal. But yeah I would watch in the order listed.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »
We've not stuck to release order.  We (I, since wife and daughter bailed on it) watched Captain Marvel a while ago, and we watched the two Guardians films back to back.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2021, 08:22:47 AM »
Purchased all 7 seasons of AOS off of EBay for $60.

I can’t even find any evidence that season 7 had a physical release, so I’m wondering if they are boots. If they are, they are nice ones. The artwork isn’t blurry or anything. But seasons 6 and 7 look like they are packed in HQ fan art.

I have loathed the idea of boots for over a decade, but I’ve always said that the exception would be if the company refuses to make a physical copy for purchase. If that’s the case, then yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.  :yarr
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2021, 08:27:25 AM »
We've not stuck to release order.  We (I, since wife and daughter bailed on it) watched Captain Marvel a while ago, and we watched the two Guardians films back to back.

Make sure you watch Infinity War and Endgame in a dark room with no distractions.

I was thinking yesterday that the arcs of Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, and Thor Odinson over the course of these 20+ movies are masterful storytelling and character development. It’s unfortunate so many people miss that, and yes I’m including Scorcese.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2021, 08:50:24 AM »
Agree completely. I think it's ignored as the Marvel tone is colourful and often humorous. But making everyone dour and frowny does not make high drama. (If it did then the DC movies might have cleaned up...)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2021, 09:12:22 AM »
Even with what I've seen so far, I (mostly) agree with that.  I love the Stark evolution; I've come to not like Steve Rogers all that much (though he attracts hot women like bees to honey); I've not gotten far enough, I guess, with Thor, who I think I like (though he's tied to Natalie Portman, who I find annoying).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2021, 09:35:28 AM »
Thor's evolution really kicks into gear over the arc from Ragnarok to Infinity War to Endgame, so no surprise that you don't feel like you've gotten far with him yet. 

I won't spoil anything, but there is a moment coming up with Captain America that really will...er...allow you to compare old Cap and new Cap side by side to appreciate how far he has come.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2021, 10:01:20 AM »
I won't spoil anything, but there is a moment coming up with Captain America that really will...er...allow you to compare old Cap and new Cap side by side to appreciate how far he has come.
Nicely done.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2021, 10:37:38 AM »
Even with what I've seen so far, I (mostly) agree with that.  I love the Stark evolution; I've come to not like Steve Rogers all that much (though he attracts hot women like bees to honey); I've not gotten far enough, I guess, with Thor, who I think I like (though he's tied to Natalie Portman, who I find annoying).

Interesting.  I found him rather bland from the start through to Age of Ultron.  Winter Soldier and Civil War propelled my interest and love of the character forward immensely.  You're already thru those, and still don't have much appeal for/of him, eh?  :huh
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »

Interesting.  I found him rather bland from the start through to Age of Ultron.  Winter Soldier and Civil War propelled my interest and love of the character forward immensely.  You're already thru those, and still don't have much appeal for/of him, eh?  :huh
Too progressive.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2021, 01:10:03 PM »
I've never been on this side of the forum before, but I was surprised to see an MCU thread here, so I figured my first post here would be about the MCU line-up shift that was announced yesterday with Black Widow now coming out in July, and Shang-Chi in September. The Eternals is still set for November, and Spider-Man No Way Home in December. If the dates for films in 2022 don't change (due to production delays), it looks like we will be getting SEVEN films in the course of a year, between Black Widow in July of 2021, through Black Panther 2 in July of 2022 (with Thor: Love And Thunder before it in May, and Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness in March).

This beats the MCU's previous record of FIVE films in one year, between GOTG Vol. 2 and Avengers Infinity War (which had Spider-Man Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther between them).

It's pretty insane that we're going from the MCU's longest gap between films (previously held between The Incredible Hulk in June 2008 and Iron Man 2 in May 2010) to having the MOST number of films in a single year's time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »

Too progressive.

:clap:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2021, 02:23:41 PM »
I've never been on this side of the forum before, but I was surprised to see an MCU thread here, so I figured my first post here would be about the MCU line-up shift that was announced yesterday with Black Widow now coming out in July, and Shang-Chi in September. The Eternals is still set for November, and Spider-Man No Way Home in December. If the dates for films in 2022 don't change (due to production delays), it looks like we will be getting SEVEN films in the course of a year, between Black Widow in July of 2021, through Black Panther 2 in July of 2022 (with Thor: Love And Thunder before it in May, and Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness in March).

This beats the MCU's previous record of FIVE films in one year, between GOTG Vol. 2 and Avengers Infinity War (which had Spider-Man Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther between them).

It's pretty insane that we're going from the MCU's longest gap between films (previously held between The Incredible Hulk in June 2008 and Iron Man 2 in May 2010) to having the MOST number of films in a single year's time.

-Marc.

And at a time when I think most of us are starving for film content on the big screen. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2021, 04:43:24 PM »
I'm watching Thor 2. It's not great. But the scene of his mother's funeral was really beautiful, I thought.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2021, 01:41:13 PM »
I'm watching Thor 2. It's not great. But the scene of his mother's funeral was really beautiful, I thought.

After Endgame came out (almost two years ago at this point), I did an MCU rewatch through the summer, and I liked Thor TDW a bit more than I did before. Time and memory kind of tainted my feelings for it, as well as the over-all internet criticisms of the film, but watching it again with Endgame's revisit of that era, I felt a bit better about certain parts of TDW. It's still not a great film, and it might be my least favorite Thor film and least favorite Phase 2 film, but there are some great moments, especially parts with Loki in the 2nd act, more Frigga than the first film, and some of the third act/final battle sequence in London.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2021, 01:45:51 PM »
When Lockdown 1 started in the UK I decided to watch all the MCU ( minus Spidey and Hulk which aren't on Disney ) - and Cap America 1 isn't as bad as I remember.

But Iron Man 2 is. It has nothing on the first Iron Man. Thor 1 and 2 are just ...ok.... I thought Ant Man 2 was a bit better second time - still not as good as the first one.

What is the best 'second' stand alone movie would you say GOTG2 maybe ? Almost as good - if not better than GOTG 1 for me.

Spidey Far From Home was not as good as the first one either.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2021, 01:46:31 PM »
Cap 2. By far.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2021, 01:48:03 PM »
Is that The Winter Soldier or Civil War ? i forget the timeline.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2021, 01:50:50 PM »

Winter Soldier. Yeah I think that's the best "second" stand alone movie in the MCU, followed by GOTG2.

Though that might change with some of the upcoming films  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Adami

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2021, 01:52:15 PM »

Winter Soldier. I didn’t love Guardians 2 a ton (though I like it) and Ant-Man 2 just isn’t nearly as good as Winter Soldier.

I did really like Far From Home but I can’t see any of the direct sequels touching Winter Soldier.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2021, 01:53:19 PM »
Iron Man 2 is at the bottom though for me. Maybe Dark World. But how did the same writing and directing team as IRON MAN decide than Iron Man 2 was good enough ?

It felt so phoned in on every level.

Offline Adami

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2021, 02:10:20 PM »
I dunno. I can find a lot of enjoyable stuff in all of them. Guess I don’t dwell on the negative qualities as much. I notice them and just kind of move on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2021, 02:16:18 PM »
Nothing in the MCU is as bad as Man of Steel or Batman V Superman. . .

Offline Adami

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2021, 02:31:11 PM »
Nothing in the MCU is as bad as Man of Steel or Batman V Superman. . .

We all missed out on Iron Man asking cap if he bleeds.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2021, 03:08:47 PM »
Man Of Steel was promising but the last 40 mins is just stupid.

I know Blob liked to go on about Star Trek into Darkness sand the pointless destruction -s o I did a test one day.

I timed the final fight in Man Of Steel ( 40 mins ) and the USS Vengeance crash scene in Star Trek into Darkness ( 30 seconds )...

The destruction in MOS is literally 80x longer than the USS Vengeance crash in Into Darkness. ;D

----

You can make a 'realistic' Superman movie. Just make a Richard Donner superman movie but do as much in camera as you can. They weren't making the Dark Knight

they were making Blade Runner Superman.