Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 71351 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #840 on: May 10, 2022, 12:12:20 PM »
They dropped the first two episodes at the start iirc

Online faizoff

« Reply #841 on: May 10, 2022, 12:18:36 PM »
That sitcom setting while fun, lasted way too long.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #842 on: May 10, 2022, 12:47:51 PM »
Completely agree. That should have been compressed into an episode or two. They nearly lost me with it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #843 on: May 10, 2022, 01:01:33 PM »
Completely agree. That should have been compressed into an episode or two. They nearly lost me with it.

Totally disagree. It's what made the show so dammed unique. The spin they did of Family Ties in Ep5, how they used the trope of 'a very special episode of...' to really push the story into the next level. The sit come framework from each decade really worked brilliantly, and was absolutely unique in decades of television.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #844 on: May 10, 2022, 01:09:07 PM »

Totally disagree. It's what made the show so dammed unique. The spin they did of Family Ties in Ep5, how they used the trope of 'a very special episode of...' to really push the story into the next level. The sit come framework from each decade really worked brilliantly, and was absolutely unique in decades of television.
I agree it was completely unique and they did a great job with it. I personally just didn't really find it very entertaining.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #845 on: May 10, 2022, 02:43:08 PM »
I actually really appreciate they did something like this, but it just isn't really for me. Still, I will try it again soon.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #846 on: May 10, 2022, 03:13:15 PM »

Agreed.  And the payoff behind the why of it only added to the depth of Wanda's mental state/illness.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #847 on: May 14, 2022, 06:21:43 PM »
Release date for She-Hulk is revealed. But they are calling it a “comedy series”.

I just went from :xbones to  :|

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/marvels-she-hulk-disney-release-date-revealed/?fbclid=IwAR1I6eMP_y5ua4mptMizd_ZB4n-a9kAO1Nok3343Bf0RBKdo1q6D1FMw5q8
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #848 on: May 14, 2022, 06:55:20 PM »
Much sooner than I imagined!

But, to my memory, they’ve been calling it a comedy for a good while now. I’m not thrilled but I hope they know what they’re doing. She Hulk isn’t someone I’ve read a ton of, but it doesn’t strike me as a super dark drama. So if they could make Moon Knight work as light as they did, then I can see them doing She Hulk as a comedy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Melphina

« Reply #849 on: May 15, 2022, 06:14:22 AM »
So much content it's hard to keep up with. The only phase 4 film I haven't liked so far is Eternals. Black Widow... I'm just in the camp that never, ever really found her interesting and felt the same about her movie. And I feel similarly about Hawkeye who I've always cared about even less, and the Hawkeye show hasn't made me care about him any more. Really struggling to finish the last half of this series.

It's gotten to the point where I need to keep a spreadsheet to track everything MCU related that I have or have not seen.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #850 on: May 15, 2022, 07:41:13 AM »
 I was lead to believe She-Hulk in the comics (or at least some comic version) was very meta, like Deadpool a lot of talking directly to the reader?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #851 on: May 15, 2022, 05:57:23 PM »
I was lead to believe She-Hulk in the comics (or at least some comic version) was very meta, like Deadpool a lot of talking directly to the reader?

I'm pretty sure it's not going that far, which is pretty much full-on camp. Back when I was collecting the comics, She-Hulk was a serious character so I'm hoping they don't screw this up too much.

Online Adami

« Reply #852 on: May 15, 2022, 08:20:19 PM »
Yea. It’s hard to think of a future MCU project I am excited about less than She Hulk.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #853 on: May 15, 2022, 09:15:32 PM »
I was never a fan in the comics.  But by and large, the MCU has done a pretty great job (1) developing great characters from ones I never cared much for in comics, and (2) with the D+ shows.  Add in my profession, and I'm actually looking forward to this one. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #854 on: May 16, 2022, 08:07:44 AM »
Release date for She-Hulk is revealed. But they are calling it a “comedy series”.

I just went from :xbones to  :|
Why?  Her comics were always comedic, going so far as breaking the fourth wall.  Even in her appearances in other books, her sense of humor was in the forefront.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #855 on: May 16, 2022, 08:25:08 AM »
Yea. It’s hard to think of a future MCU project I am excited about less than She Hulk.

Agatha: House of Harkness for me.  Didn't like the character in Wandavision.

Online Adami

« Reply #856 on: May 16, 2022, 08:40:58 AM »

Agatha: House of Harkness for me.  Didn't like the character in Wandavision.

Forgot about that one. I guess I'll need to see what direction they're going. I really liked her, but I didn't like the flashback to Salem or whatever. So if it's set all in the past, I can't see being too pumped for it, but if it's not....Kathryn Hahn is a treasure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #857 on: May 16, 2022, 08:57:10 AM »
Isn't Tatiana Maslany playing She Hulk? That alone is reason enough to be excited about it (also possibly the only reason?).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #858 on: May 16, 2022, 09:01:59 AM »
Isn't Tatiana Maslany playing She Hulk? That alone is reason enough to be excited about it (also possibly the only reason?).

Yeah.  She was amazing in Orphan Black.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #859 on: May 16, 2022, 09:18:04 AM »
Kathryn Hahn is a treasure.

I've honestly never heard of her before.  Looking at her filmography it's mostly middling comedies (I genre I very rarely watch).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #860 on: May 16, 2022, 09:29:49 AM »
Definitely exciting.

And yes, Kathryn Hahn is fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #861 on: June 01, 2022, 05:20:43 PM »
Saw No Way Home for the second time yesterday on a plane, and there's a minor detail I did not notice before (not sure if it's been mentioned).

When Tom Holland's Spidey meets Sand-Man, he's wearing his suit inside out, which makes it look black. When we first saw Sand-Man in Tobey's Spidey, he was fighting Spiderman with the symbiote/Venom suit, which is also black. Just thought that was cool.

Anyways, we are a week away from Ms. Marvel  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #862 on: June 02, 2022, 12:09:17 AM »
Nice detail.

I've got everything crossed for Ms Marvel.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #863 on: July 11, 2022, 06:15:42 AM »
Just watched Wandavision and I am glad I pushed trough my intial dislike of the 50's sitcom stuff. It paid off and it is the best MCU Disney+ show by a significant margin (that I have seen).

Really well made too, it looked polished and they nailed the feeling of different timeperiods. Obi Wan feels so amateurish compared to this.

Now on to Dr Strange 2.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #864 on: July 11, 2022, 06:24:15 AM »
Totally agree, Wandavision is just such an outstanding leap of storytelling for the MCU. Doubt they'll ever touch that level of ingenuity again.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #865 on: July 12, 2022, 09:53:37 AM »
I watched Dr Strange 2 yesterday and ... eh? Unfortunately I found it a bit weak. Not sure where the problem lies for me. On paper the plot sounds good, Wanda works well as a villain and I do like the current MCU thing to show characters in different timelines/realities. If I am honest the illuminati and their universe fell flat for me, perhaps ditching that whole thing and just focusing on Wanda and the Strange related characters would've worked better for me (and made dimension girl more of a character). It was ultimately a perfectly fine film, but I wasn't really feeling it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #866 on: July 14, 2022, 05:01:07 PM »
Opinion question:  Which heroes in the MCU are "Avengers?"  Not that it ultimately matters, but curious what people think.

Here's my list:
-The original six:  Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Thor
-The next wave:  War Machine, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Vision, [Quicksilver (I mean, Hawkeye said if Wanda fought alongside them against Ultron, she was an Avenger, so I am assuming that would apply to Pietro as well.  But then again, that comment was sort of off the cuff and doesn't necessarily mean he had authority to make people official members)]
-Spiderman (according to Tony in Infinity War)

This site https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Avengers also lists Rocket, Captain Marvel, Nebula, Okoye, and Ant Man.  I guess we could say that that all of those besides Ant Man are implied in Endgame, but not sure.  They seemed more like allies of the Avengers than members.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #867 on: July 14, 2022, 05:13:18 PM »
Nick Fury personally recruited each of the MCU Avengers as part of the Avengers Initiative.  A lot of other heroes appeared in the MCU films, including those with "Avengers" in the title, but that doesn't make them official Avengers in my opinion.  So I'm going with the original six.

In the first Ant-Man movie, when Scott Lang goes to the supposedly abandoned Stark facility (which is now an Avengers facility) to steal the thingamajig that Pym needs, he fights Falcon and eventually gets past him.  Later, he's all fired up about it, saying that he'd "fought an Avenger" and won the fight.  I remember thinking that Falcon isn't really an Avenger.  Being Captain America's friend, even one who joins in the fights (and gets his own comic books), doesn't make you an Avenger.  Sorry, but Falcon was always "Hero Support" to me.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #868 on: July 14, 2022, 05:14:33 PM »
I think everyone who was in the battle for earth in Endgame when Cap said 'avengers assemble' count as an Avenger. They all suited up to fight and save Earth.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #869 on: July 14, 2022, 05:16:01 PM »
So, basically the entire MCU?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #870 on: July 14, 2022, 05:22:57 PM »
Nick Fury personally recruited each of the MCU Avengers as part of the Avengers Initiative.  A lot of other heroes appeared in the MCU films, including those with "Avengers" in the title, but that doesn't make them official Avengers in my opinion.  So I'm going with the original six.

In the first Ant-Man movie, when Scott Lang goes to the supposedly abandoned Stark facility (which is now an Avengers facility) to steal the thingamajig that Pym needs, he fights Falcon and eventually gets past him.  Later, he's all fired up about it, saying that he'd "fought an Avenger" and won the fight.  I remember thinking that Falcon isn't really an Avenger.  Being Captain America's friend, even one who joins in the fights (and gets his own comic books), doesn't make you an Avenger.  Sorry, but Falcon was always "Hero Support" to me.

I get what you are saying, but Falcon (and a few others) were more than that.  Cap has Falcon, Iron Patriot, Wanda, and Vision "assemble" as Avengers in the Avengers' compound at the end of Age of Ultron, so I think it is clear that they are actual Avengers at that point.

I get R.J.'s point as well.  It just feels weird to me to be that expansive.  But that could be just a me thing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #871 on: July 14, 2022, 05:40:04 PM »
I think the ones in the next wave have a pretty strong case for being called Avengers, so I don't "hard" disagree with you.  And a lot of the time, I see "Avengers" used more or less as a synonym for the MCU in general.  This leads to conversations like:

"Have you seen the new Avengers movie?"
"What? No, it's Guardians of the Galaxy.  Technically..."
"STFU, pedant"

Anyway, this leads to the question of where I'd draw the line, and since the line between Hero Support and "the entire MCU" gets really blurry, I pulled back to the original six.  You could really build a case for any of these options.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #872 on: July 14, 2022, 05:42:19 PM »
To me, is those that fought in Age of Ultron + Spiderman.

Edit: + Nebula, Captain Marvel and Rocket.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #873 on: July 14, 2022, 06:43:24 PM »
I mean, if Cap called them all Avengers, who am I to argue?

Although the term is probably a bit looser for some than others, I'm sure Iron Man and Howard the Duck won't have the same health plan, but Cap called them both Avengers, right?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #874 on: July 16, 2022, 03:41:36 PM »
Cast and director of F4 will be announced at D23.