Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 71704 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #805 on: April 14, 2022, 02:16:07 PM »
My phase 4 expectations are appropriately low. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #806 on: April 14, 2022, 04:37:38 PM »
I don’t understand the shade being thrown at Black Widow. The villain shaped her entire life for crying out loud, how is that not compelling?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #807 on: April 14, 2022, 05:26:25 PM »
I don’t understand the shade being thrown at Black Widow. The villain shaped her entire life for crying out loud, how is that not compelling?

Same...and on top of that, an amazing counterpart in Yelena, good comic relief in the Crimson Dynamo, great action sequences. I dug it all around, but I'm biased since she was my favorite Avenger.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #808 on: April 14, 2022, 11:20:17 PM »
Ironically my biggest issue with Widow (aside from the terrible casting of Ray Winston) was it's a superhero movie, the action set pieces in particular don't really make a lot of sense a Widow seems superhuman. I think there was a option to try something slightly different like a tense spy thriller.
On saying that it's still enjoyable albeit on the lower end of the MCU list...and it gave us Yelena who is amazing and stole the film (and then stole Hawkeye too).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #809 on: April 15, 2022, 05:18:08 AM »
Ironically my biggest issue with Widow (aside from the terrible casting of Ray Winston) was it's a superhero movie, the action set pieces in particular don't really make a lot of sense a Widow seems superhuman. I think there was a option to try something slightly different like a tense spy thriller.
On saying that it's still enjoyable albeit on the lower end of the MCU list...and it gave us Yelena who is amazing and stole the film (and then stole Hawkeye too).

+1 to virtually all of this (Yelena wasn't in Hawkeye enough to steal all of it).

Despite its flaws, there was more to the movie that I liked, than I disliked.  The final action of the Red Room crashing and all of that descent action was a bit OTT, but I can deal with that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #810 on: April 15, 2022, 06:22:19 AM »

+1 to virtually all of this (Yelena wasn't in Hawkeye enough to steal all of it).

Despite its flaws, there was more to the movie that I liked, than I disliked.  The final action of the Red Room crashing and all of that descent action was a bit OTT, but I can deal with that.

You're using over the top as a criticism of an MCU flick?  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: April 15, 2022, 07:05:33 AM »

IMO, there's over-the-top, then there's OVER-THE-TOP.  I can get my head into a "comic" world that is grounded in reality.  There needs to be a conjoining of spectacle WITH substance.  It's a ying and yang of 'believable' vs 'realistic'.  The action need not be realistic, but like I said, should be grounded in reality for me to believe it.  I can believe a super soldier; I can believe a guy that flies an armored body-tank; I can believe a talking raccoon mourning over the death of a talking stick.  As Christopher Nolan called it, "a cinematic reality".  There just wasn't enough validity to take that crashing scene in BW seriously - imo.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #812 on: April 15, 2022, 07:32:34 AM »

IMO, there's over-the-top, then there's OVER-THE-TOP.  I can get my head into a "comic" world that is grounded in reality.  There needs to be a conjoining of spectacle WITH substance.  It's a ying and yang of 'believable' vs 'realistic'.  The action need not be realistic, but like I said, should be grounded in reality for me to believe it.  I can believe a super soldier; I can believe a guy that flies an armored body-tank; I can believe a talking raccoon mourning over the death of a talking stick.  As Christopher Nolan called it, "a cinematic reality".  There just wasn't enough validity to take that crashing scene in BW seriously - imo.

But the whole time heist plot was kosher? Three Spidermen from alternate universes? A witch holding a town hostage and turning it into a 50s black and white sit com?

Not trying to pin you, it just seems that with all the absurdity in the past 20+ movies, drawing the line at the crashing station just seems nit-picky. I mean, not liking it is one thing, but using OTT as a criticism of any event  in the MCU just doesn't fly for me.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #813 on: April 15, 2022, 07:43:33 AM »
I'm gonna agree with Jingle here.

Not realistic is not the same as grounded in cinematic reality. Iron Man inventing time travel? Fine, depending how it's executed. It would be like if Captain America was like "Time travel? Oh yea, I can do that if I flex the right muscle (DC reference!)."

But everyone in BW was human. One was a semi-super soldier, but the rest were all human. They were grounded by human physics. None of what happened at the end came even close to obeying that at all. And beyond that, I think the problem, for me and possibly JB, wasn't so much that it was realistic, but that it was so contrary to the rest of the movie that it took me out of it. Part of the charm of BW was the human element. They are people being people doing people things. Yes, there are lots of explosions and stuff, but when the action scenes elevated to beyond human, it felt out of place and took me out of it. But that's just me. If it didn't bug you at all, cool. But I can see where OTT is legit.

Edit: For me it was a little like the final lightsaber battles in the Star Wars prequels. Sure, it's a world where you have the force and a little green dude, and big foot running around. Sure it's a world where they can build a ship the size of a moon and blah blah blah. But when everyone was flipping around and doing insane gymnastics during the fights? It just felt over the top and took me out of it. It's a similar sense of over the top.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 08:01:47 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: April 15, 2022, 11:22:51 AM »

Not realistic is not the same as grounded in cinematic reality. Iron Man inventing time travel? Fine, depending how it's executed. It would be like if Captain America was like "Time travel? Oh yea, I can do that if I flex the right muscle (DC reference!)."

But everyone in BW was human. One was a semi-super soldier, but the rest were all human. They were grounded by human physics. None of what happened at the end came even close to obeying that at all. And beyond that, I think the problem, for me and possibly JB, wasn't so much that it was realistic, but that it was so contrary to the rest of the movie that it took me out of it. Part of the charm of BW was the human element. They are people being people doing people things. Yes, there are lots of explosions and stuff, but when the action scenes elevated to beyond human, it felt out of place and took me out of it. But that's just me. If it didn't bug you at all, cool. But I can see where OTT is legit.

That's definitely in my line of thinking.  I guess there's a leap that the brain has to make to 'get' to the point of accepting all the *superhero* stuff, as well as the far fetched "science" (eg, shrinking Ant-man, quantum realm, vibranium) that is used to explain a lot of it.  But in BW, no one is powered other than Dynamo, and the story never transitioned or prepared the audience for the characters being able to do super-extraordinary things.  It's the same beef I had with IM3, and the 'barrel-of-monkeys' thing.  For a story grounded in a real-world, I have slight issues with throwing out obvious laws of gravity and physics.  You can't stop a 30,000 ft free fall in less than 1000 feet... let alone it being a dozen people daisy-chained together arm-in-arm.  *that* is kind of stuff I say is  OTT.  If I had to watch and think/expect every event of every MCU movie all had to exist in our real-world, then EVERYTHING is over the top - but I can park my mind in "cinema-reality".  BW didn't do anything to get my mind there.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #815 on: April 15, 2022, 11:27:18 AM »

Same...and on top of that, an amazing counterpart in Yelena, good comic relief in the Crimson Dynamo, great action sequences. I dug it all around, but I'm biased since she was my favorite Avenger.

That's definitely in my line of thinking.  I guess there's a leap that the brain has to make to 'get' to the point of accepting all the *superhero* stuff, as well as the far fetched "science" (eg, shrinking Ant-man, quantum realm, vibranium) that is used to explain a lot of it.  But in BW, no one is powered other than Dynamo, and the story never transitioned or prepared the audience for the characters being able to do super-extraordinary things.  It's the same beef I had with IM3, and the 'barrel-of-monkeys' thing.  For a story grounded in a real-world, I have slight issues with throwing out obvious laws of gravity and physics.  You can't stop a 30,000 ft free fall in less than 1000 feet... let alone it being a dozen people daisy-chained together arm-in-arm.  *that* is kind of stuff I say is  OTT.  If I had to watch and think/expect every event of every MCU movie all had to exist in our real-world, then EVERYTHING is over the top - but I can park my mind in "cinema-reality".  BW didn't do anything to get my mind there.

"It's the Red Guardian."

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #816 on: April 15, 2022, 11:47:52 AM »
Quite possibly the best moment in the movie... That or when she said 'I don't think the God from space has to take an ibuprofen after a fight'

She truly did steal that movie.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #817 on: April 15, 2022, 11:48:42 AM »

"It's the Red Guardian."

-Marc.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #818 on: April 15, 2022, 11:50:50 AM »

Well we're just gonna have to disagree, cause I can't seem to distinguish one stupid stretch of reality from another. They're all over the top, that's why it's so fucking fun.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #819 on: April 15, 2022, 01:28:03 PM »
I'm with Chad and Adami.  And not that any of it was "bad."  Just, as Adami said, for what was set up and what the abilities of the characters were, my subconscious objected to having to suspend reality that far during the final act.  It was just hard to make that leap. 

My other nitpick is that the writing at the very end was choppy in having it end with Ross's arrival, and then suddenly Natasha is free and getting ready to spring those on the Raft, with no explanation. 

That said, I liked the movie.  A lot.  And it has grown a lot with repeat viewings.  Probably my second favorite film of phase 4 after the flawed but fun No Way Home.  And if I had to compare it to the other original Avengers' phase 1 solo films, I think it stands up there with them.  I would definitely put it ahead of Hulk and Iron Man 2, and maybe ahead of Thor as well.  To me, it was the MCU film we really didn't need (or want), but was a lot better than it deserved to be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #820 on: April 15, 2022, 01:40:34 PM »
I honestly think Black Widow would have been better served if it were released after Civil War.

Since by the time the movie came out, the character was dead, it changed how we're supposed to see her but it really didn't. It didn't do anything at all for the character but fill in parts of her story that didn't impact how we left her last time. If it had come out after Civil War (and maybe had a much better villain/plot) then we might have enjoyed it in a different way and Yelena returning would have had a larger impact.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #821 on: April 15, 2022, 01:55:49 PM »
I honestly think Black Widow would have been better served if it were released after Civil War.

Since by the time the movie came out, the character was dead, it changed how we're supposed to see her but it really didn't. It didn't do anything at all for the character but fill in parts of her story that didn't impact how we left her last time. If it had come out after Civil War (and maybe had a much better villain/plot) then we might have enjoyed it in a different way and Yelena returning would have had a larger impact.

I totally agree here, and will always be baffled as to why they didn't do this initially

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: April 18, 2022, 08:24:52 AM »
Love and Thunder trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgB1wUcmbbw

I dig it.  Thank god for that last 5 seconds, otherwise it would've been just a bit too campy and light hearted for me.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #823 on: April 18, 2022, 08:46:21 AM »
Love and Thunder trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgB1wUcmbbw

I dig it.  Thank god for that last 5 seconds, otherwise it would've been just a bit too campy and light hearted for me.

Just watched like 5 times. Loving what we see so far, and it looks like Thor will have a half-dozen costume changes throughout the film, most of which look inspired directly from various versions of him from the comics!

Cannot wait to see more Thor four!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

« Reply #824 on: April 18, 2022, 09:06:18 AM »
Looks fun. I did appreciate the god version of crossfit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #825 on: April 18, 2022, 09:22:26 AM »
Wow.  Everything looks pretty good, except I fucking hate Axl Rose's voice so that kind of ruined it for me.  The trailer, anyway.  If it's like other Marvel movies, the song will show up once and I can suffer through it.  Or if I'm really lucky, it will be end credits music.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #826 on: April 26, 2022, 11:53:11 AM »
REALLY good video that articulates very well the reason I felt Shang Chi failed to rise to the level of a lot of the earlier MCU films:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS5YmRlF7qU

The gist of it is that some Marvel films, Shang Chi being perhaps the best example, are in the process of telling a compelling story that gets derailed by a big CGI-fest of a battle in the third act that detracts from and undermines the existing story.

To me, this "third act" problem was most glaring in Shang Chi, followed by Black Widow.  Both of these films had tremendous potential, and were still good, but fell short of what they could have been.  The various live action D+ TV series, on the other hand, mostly did a great job in this department.  Even though WandaVision similarly ended with a big CGI battle, the stakes matched the tone of the show and the scope of the actual conflict.  This is why, to me, phase 4 has been so all over the place and, combined with the absolute disaster that was Eternals, makes phase 4 easily the weakest MCU phase so far.  As I have posted, I expected phase 4 to be a letdown from prior phases.  After the climax of phase 3, how could it not be?  But I was expecting it more from a necessity of having to scale down the stakes and the plots of the individual films.  I was not expecting it from the perspective of bad writing.  And although Eternals was so inexplicably horrible, I guess I can sort of overlook it in the grand scheme of things just because the MCU was SO good for SO long that it was due for a misfire.  It's kind of like a Tom Brady-led playoff team or a Stef Curry-led playoff team--they're typically so great that we forget that they're human, and when they do actually flame out, it's an understandable reminder that they are only human. 

Shang Chi and Black Widow are different.  They had the potential to be great films.  They both focused for most of their run time on smaller scale conflicts that were personal, emotional, and relatable.  They were shaping up to be much like Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil War in that respect.  Then they diverged in Act 3 and seemed to forsake what they were about in favor of superfluous CGI battles, and that's where they went off the rails.  Both tried to dial it back in the end and remind us what they were truly about.  I thought Black Widow was more successful in that regard.  But it's just disappointing that both could have had much bigger impact and been overall much better films if they kept it dialed back the entire time and remembered what they were about.  And while they are both still better than the typical non-MCU superhero film, that isn't by much.

Overall, here's my brief take on each of the films:
-Black Widow:  The film that both exceeded and failed to meet expectations all in on movie.  I didn't think we needed a Natasha movie.  But it set up an emotional closure for the character that I wasn't previously willing to admit that we needed, and it nicely set the stage for some future events, and really added nice continuity with both the Falcon and Winter Soldier and Hawkeye series.  The writers mostly did a good job of keeping the scope personal.  But the over-the-top nature of Act 3 detracted from that a bit and kept the movie from being as good as it could have been.  Still, I would consider it an overall success.
-Shang Chi:  Similar, but the third act problems were much more egregious.  The video I lined says it all.  I don't always agree with Ryan's hot takes, but his take on the problems with act three of Shang Chi, as compared to what it should have been given the very personal story it had been telling up to that point, are spot on to me.  This film really could have been fantastic, but was overall just "good," and I hate when a film leaves me perpetually feeling like every time I talk about it, I have to say, "well, it was good, BUT..." 
-Eternals:  Doesn't really fit the topic, but for the sake of completeness in discussing phase 4 overall, I'll again repeat that it was a disaster and should never have been allowed to have been released with the Marvel name on it.  Far worse than anything with the Marvel (MCU or not) or DC labels that I can recall.
-No Way Home:  Again, just for completeness, I'll deal with it.  Overall, good film.  I don't like the multiverse premise at all.  But given that that is where the MCU as a whole is headed, I do my best to set that major distraction aside.  There were some other issues I had with the writing.  The entire premise of the film was set up without Spiderman or Strange really seeming to give a second thought to what could go wrong.  This is...very hard to swallow, to say the least.  I think that was the movie's biggest failure.  But getting past that, there was a lot that was really, really good about this film.  Easily the weakest of the Spiderman films, but still really good.  And this is a good example of a big climactic CGI-fest at the end that made sense in the context of the film.  And that CGI-fest never once felt like it lost sight of the many complex levels of personal stakes that this film was really about.  Overall, this is how to do a third act correctly.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 08:16:14 PM by bosk1 »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #827 on: April 27, 2022, 05:54:59 AM »

Just to finish up on Black Widow . . . I don’t know whether it’s the character or ScarJo that people undervalue, but you know she’s the bravest Avenger of them all. This little woman with no powers and she’s going hand-to-hand with the WINTER SOLDIER . . . not to mention Rumlow and a ton of other bad guys, Russian thugs, etc. Total bad-ass, and then gave it up for the greater good.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: April 27, 2022, 06:31:51 AM »
Not seeing what you folks are in that trailer. For the first time in MCU history, I'm thinking I'll skip it. Too much What We Do in the Shadows vibe for a Thor movie IMO. It was borderline in Ragnarok, but this appears to be too Waititi.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #829 on: April 27, 2022, 10:21:18 AM »

Just to finish up on Black Widow . . . I don’t know whether it’s the character or ScarJo that people undervalue, but you know she’s the bravest Avenger of them all. This little woman with no powers and she’s going hand-to-hand with the WINTER SOLDIER . . . not to mention Rumlow and a ton of other bad guys, Russian thugs, etc. Total bad-ass, and then gave it up for the greater good.

That's definitely part of why she's my favorite, the other is her redemption arc, unlike the others who are going on what's right or by some sense of duty, she's trying to right scales she'll always see skewed away from her being a good person, and only in giving her life does she feel she righted them. Guess it's a character trait I relate to intimately.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #830 on: April 27, 2022, 12:22:13 PM »
Announced at Cinema Con, Kevin Feige is headed to a retreat with the creative team at Marvel Studios to plan out the next decade of MCU projects. Unless things go incredibly south over the next 3 years, I think the MCU is here til 2032!

Looks like the post-Endgame/Phase 3 era will be just as long as the Infinity Saga- 2008-2019, 2021-2032.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #831 on: May 08, 2022, 08:09:56 PM »
Didn't see it shared here, but two films in the 2023 MCU slate have swapped release dates:

Ant-Man 3, previously dated for July 28, 2023, now goes four months earlier on February 17. Captain Marvel sequel The Marvels, previously on that February date, now goes to July 28 next year.
https://deadline.com/2022/04/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-the-marvels-swap-release-dates-1235013181/

I figured something like this might happen when it was revealed principle photography for Ant-Man had wrapped up last November while The Marvels was still shooting.

As it stands, the rest of the film slate remains unchanged:

July 8th 2022 - Thor: Love And Thunder
November 11th 2022 - Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
February 17th 2023 - Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania
May 5th 2023 - Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3
July 28th 2023 - The Marvels
November 3rd 2023 - (Unknown)
February 16th 2024 - (Unknown)
May 3rd 2024 - (Unknown)
July 26th 2024 - (Unknown)
November 8th 2024 - (Unknown)

And films being planned/in pre-production, but without planned release dates, include: Fantastic Four, Blade, Shang-Chi 2, Deadpool 3, Captain America 4, and a film involving mutants. I think there may also be a third Doctor Strange coming in the next few years, hopefully before 2028, and probably third films in the Black Panther and Captain Marvel franchises as well.

As for Disney+, 2022 still has Ms. Marvel coming in June, and eventually She-Hulk and most likely Secret Invasion, plus specials like Werewolf By Night and the GOTG Holiday Special. Series in 2023 and beyond should include Iron Heart, Armor Wars, Loki Season 2, What If Season 2, Echo (Hawkeye character spin-off), Agatha: House Of Harkness, Spider-Man: Freshman Year, Marvel Zombies, as well as something by Destin Daniel Cretton (Shang-Chi dir.), a Nova series/film, and possibly a Daredevil reboot.

For fans who've been enjoying the MCU so far, there is definitely no slowing down now, and with getting 4 films a calendar year, plus at least four Disney+ series a year, there's a *lot* to look forward to. Let's just hope the quality of all of these projects continues to improve as they move forward.

-Marc.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #832 on: May 08, 2022, 09:27:33 PM »
Damn that's a shit load of content from Disney coming out MCU related. I think Jon Watts who was supposed to helm the Fantastic Four movie is officially stepping away from all MCU and comic book genre related involvement for the time being. Who know if the FF movie/franchise is cursed, will be interesting to see who's going to follow it up.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #833 on: May 09, 2022, 07:27:00 AM »
One thing with Spider-Man NWH and Dr. Strange ITMOM is that both films suffered from release date changes (more so DR. Strange it seems). I hope is not the same for Ant-Man and Captain Marvel, though I doubt there will be much connection between those two movies like Dr. Strange and Spider-Man.

While I am still enjoying these movies and shows, I am a little worries about future movies after seeing Dr. Strange, but we will see how it goes.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #834 on: May 10, 2022, 05:51:00 AM »
Watched Loki, really enjoyed it. First half was better than last half, but the last episodes were still a very enjoyable ride.

I am near the end of Moon Knight. It is okay, fine to watch but not very memorable or engaging.

I want to retry Wandavision because it is important for Dr Strange and the MCU in general I hear, but I just don't enjoy the sitcom stuff. Never do. Almost skipped through that particular Mr Robot episode as well. Though in Wandavision I have no idea where it is going.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #835 on: May 10, 2022, 07:10:46 AM »
Watched Loki, really enjoyed it. First half was better than last half, but the last episodes were still a very enjoyable ride.

I am near the end of Moon Knight. It is okay, fine to watch but not very memorable or engaging.

I want to retry Wandavision because it is important for Dr Strange and the MCU in general I hear, but I just don't enjoy the sitcom stuff. Never do. Almost skipped through that particular Mr Robot episode as well. Though in Wandavision I have no idea where it is going.

It’s not really a sitcom. I can’t explain without spoiling it…but it’s just not.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #836 on: May 10, 2022, 08:10:26 AM »

It’s not really a sitcom. I can’t explain without spoiling it…but it’s just not.

What he said. If you just do a small amount of research you will see this is the case.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #837 on: May 10, 2022, 09:41:12 AM »

I know it is not actually a sitcom, but the whole classic sitcom aesthetic/acting/subplot/element or however you call it was not for me. I only saw the first episode. But I will watch it before watching Dr Strange so I will eventually find out.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #838 on: May 10, 2022, 11:20:27 AM »

I know it is not actually a sitcom, but the whole classic sitcom aesthetic/acting/subplot/element or however you call it was not for me. I only saw the first episode. But I will watch it before watching Dr Strange so I will eventually find out.

Yeah, if you only watched one episode, you basically took one sip of an ocean of content.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #839 on: May 10, 2022, 11:48:04 AM »
It might help to know/remember that the original plan was to drop the first three episodes of WandaVision all at once.  All the WTF would have been cleared up (mostly) the following week.  Instead, by only dropping one episode per week, the WTF was drawn out for three weeks.  I stuck with it because it seemed odd and original enough, but I was ready to bail after that third episode because I too hate sitcoms.  I decided to give it one more episode, and with the fourth episode, a lot of stuff was explained and/or made a hell of a lot more sense, and also pointed towards even more going on than we'd thought.