Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 71677 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #770 on: March 01, 2022, 11:46:58 PM »
IMO, they can be pretty addictive once you start.  I imagine that once you dip your toe in, you'll somehow find the time.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #771 on: March 15, 2022, 07:10:13 AM »
Season 2 of What If...? confirmed for this year!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #772 on: March 15, 2022, 08:05:21 AM »
https://youtu.be/m9EX0f6V11Y

Ms. Marvel coming June 8th!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #773 on: March 15, 2022, 08:11:56 AM »
Looks interesting  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #775 on: March 15, 2022, 01:08:22 PM »
OMG that girl looks EXACTLY like my daughter in law!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #776 on: March 15, 2022, 04:20:16 PM »
OMG that girl looks EXACTLY like my daughter in law!!!

Everyone has a doppelganger!  :lol

Also, it's interesting to note that Ms. Marvel will start airing just two weeks after Obi-Wan Kenobi starts, which will be the first time since Disney+ began that both a Marvel show and a Star Wars show will air on the same day. There was speculation that Ms. Marvel wouldn't air until Kenobi was finished, but I guess both will overlap. I wonder if the recent confirmation that What If...? Season 2 airing this year is what led to Ms. Marvel overlapping with Kenobi? They still have She-Hulk AND Secret Invasion to fit in later this year as well, so it looks like we'll have a total of five Marvel shows on Disney+ again this year.

Either way, it'll be an exciting year for new characters and stories. As different as MCU Kamala Khan will be to her 616 comics version, I'm interested in seeing how she fits into the broader MCU, how her powers develop and if she'll be meeting Carol at all in her series, or if that meet-up will have to wait until The Marvels hits theaters next February.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #777 on: March 15, 2022, 05:35:42 PM »
I can't say I'm a fan of how much they're changing her powers/origin story, but that said....it looks great! I'm loving the tonal shift, and the girl looks like she'll be a lot of fun. Excited for this!

Also love how they addressed her name pronunciation so quickly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #778 on: March 16, 2022, 11:30:04 AM »
I only know the briefest outline of the character but that looks really charming and fun.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #779 on: April 02, 2022, 01:03:02 PM »
So not only was Morbius bad (which wasn't that surprising) but the post-credits scenes made it even worse.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #780 on: April 02, 2022, 02:58:18 PM »
So not only was Morbius bad (which wasn't that surprising) but the post-credits scenes made it even worse.

Definitely Marvel, but not officially MCU, yes?

Just making sure because the official MCU has been very nearly flawless (The Eternals being the only real misstep...and even then, time might be kinder to it once we see the bigger picture of how it fits into phase 4). But this Morbius is part of that whole extended Sony “is it or isn’t it canonical” thing, which has a history of being mostly lower quality with maybe a couple of gems.

Online Adami

« Reply #781 on: April 02, 2022, 03:48:12 PM »

Just making sure because the official MCU has been very nearly flawless (The Eternals being the only real misstep...and even then, time might be kinder to it once we see the bigger picture of how it fits into phase 4). But this Morbius is part of that whole extended Sony “is it or isn’t it canonical” thing, which has a history of being mostly lower quality with maybe a couple of gems.

Haven't seen it (probably won't until it's free on streaming), but from what I've read, it's now canon in the same way Venom/other Spider-Man movies are. There's a multiverse, and this takes place in a part of that multiverse. Same universe as Venom if I remember correctly, and since Venom showed up briefly in No Way Home, then it's all canon in some way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #782 on: April 02, 2022, 03:56:50 PM »

It's technically not MCU I suppose but it also ties into Spider-Man and features an MCU character so I guess it's a weird case. I think the MCU (the official ones) has been mostly solid, Eternals for me is middle of the pack though there have been some rough ones like Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Captain Marvel, but overall the MCU level is definitely better than these 'adjacent' movies.

Online Adami

« Reply #783 on: April 02, 2022, 03:59:42 PM »
MCU is hardly flawless, but their lowest lows aren't super low and even their "meh" movies have fantastic qualities to them. I really didn't like the entire plot or villain or anything to Black Widow, but the first 2/3 of the movie and the family stuff and so forth was really fantastic. I really didn't like most of the plot or the execution of the Eternals........but...umm.....I dunno, it had some funny moments? Some cool action? Some really neat ideas that just weren't done well? I Dunno, that one's harder.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #784 on: April 02, 2022, 06:10:39 PM »
MCU is hardly flawless, but their lowest lows aren't super low and even their "meh" movies have fantastic qualities to them. I really didn't like the entire plot or villain or anything to Black Widow, but the first 2/3 of the movie and the family stuff and so forth was really fantastic. I really didn't like most of the plot or the execution of the Eternals........but...umm.....I dunno, it had some funny moments? Some cool action? Some really neat ideas that just weren't done well? I Dunno, that one's harder.

I did say “very nearly flawless” and singled out The Eternals in particular so I think we’re almost on the same page.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #785 on: April 03, 2022, 01:16:28 AM »
Eternals was hot garbage.  The worst of the rest of the MCU is at least "pretty good."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #786 on: April 03, 2022, 03:52:27 AM »
I think Eternals gets more negativity than it deserves because it did raise some interesting philosophical questions about blindly following your leader and also whether they should interfere with life on earth or not, whether humans were worth saving and so on. Not one of the best MCU movies by any means but you compare it to Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Thor 2 or Iron Man 2 for example and it's not nearly as bad. I would say it stays out of the bottom 5 easily. I do think the MCU formula can get a bit grating sometimes (every serious moment undercut with a joke) but the biggest compliment you can give the MCU is that even the worst films (and there are a couple that aren't that great) are still enjoyable to watch the first time. I would maybe say 50% of the MCU movies fall into the category of 'fun to see once, not great enough to see twice', but that also means that the money spent on the movie ticket is never really wasted.

You compare it to something else like the X-Men franchise and that one has a couple that IMO stands up with the best of the MCU - Logan and Days of Future Past, but you also get stinkers like X-Men Origins Wolverine and Dark Phoenix that make even Thor 2 look like Citizen Kane. Morbius makes Captain Marvel feel like Infinity War in comparison.

Definitely feel more hyped for Dr. Strange 2 due to the fact Raimi is directing. One of my favorite directors and I just hope he's given room enough to 'make it his own'. That's otherwise one of my main criticisms with the MCU is that aside from maybe the Guardians of the Galaxy films, many of these films feel like they could be made by the same director. And they have their formula and it works, you don't change the recipe of the Big Mac sauce after all, but I do hope Raimi gets to play around with a creative hero like Dr. Strange.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #787 on: April 03, 2022, 01:53:21 PM »
...but the biggest compliment you can give the MCU is that even the worst films (and there are a couple that aren't that great) are still enjoyable to watch the first time.

All except Eternals.  One of the worst films I have seen in my life, and if I could get my money and time back that I wasted having seen it, I would.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #788 on: April 04, 2022, 09:22:02 AM »
...but the biggest compliment you can give the MCU is that even the worst films (and there are a couple that aren't that great) are still enjoyable to watch the first time.

All except Eternals.  One of the worst films I have seen in my life, and if I could get my money and time back that I wasted having seen it, I would.

I don't know how you can dislike it so much when something like Black Widow was miles worse.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #789 on: April 04, 2022, 09:25:27 AM »

I don't know how you can dislike it so much when something like Black Widow was miles worse.

I can understand the dislike for it relative to all the other MCU movies, but even to just compare it against other blockbuster franchises, this movie is better than virtually every DCU movie, most Sony/Marvel movies, and certainly the last 2 Star Wars movies.  It's not a BAD movie on an absolute basis, but it is worse than most MCU releases.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #790 on: April 04, 2022, 09:33:09 AM »

I can understand the dislike for it relative to all the other MCU movies, but even to just compare it against other blockbuster franchises, this movie is better than virtually every DCU movie, most Sony/Marvel movies, and certainly the last 2 Star Wars movies.  It's not a BAD movie on an absolute basis, but it is worse than most MCU releases.

I didn't love Eternals and it did have a bunch of flaws like many other Marvel movies but I do feel saddened by the reception of it because it shows people would rather have boring safe 'doesn't change up the formula' movies than Marvel doing something different. Shang-Chi was essentially Black Panther with a different coat of paint and a different culture, Black Widow felt like the most watered down 'MCU humor mixed with CGI video game action scenes with no stakes" and it does feel like a bit of a shame that people eat these up.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #791 on: April 04, 2022, 09:41:40 AM »
While I didn't love Eternals on release, watching it a second time made me appreciate it a little more, and those "flaws" I initially saw were not as bad as I initially perceived them.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #792 on: April 04, 2022, 09:42:10 AM »
I came to Eternals late.  I was expecting much badness due to the negativity it got upon release, half way though the film and I actually enjoying it - but then the twist hit and it went to shite.  Maybe because the first half was decent I'd  put it above IM2 (which I think is the worst MCU film) and maybe Thor 2.

Online Adami

« Reply #793 on: April 04, 2022, 09:53:41 AM »
I hope the takeaway from Eternals isn’t to stick to formula. The issue with it wasn’t the newness, it was a very mediocre and often poorly written script.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #794 on: April 04, 2022, 10:13:47 AM »
That would be the Hulk movie.  It's OK, but compared to the rest of the lot.  It's just average.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #795 on: April 04, 2022, 10:48:22 AM »
That would be the Hulk movie.  It's OK, but compared to the rest of the lot.  It's just average.

It feels like a majority of people forget this even exists.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: April 04, 2022, 11:03:05 AM »

Even the TV stations don't play it on replays. :lol You see every other movie always playing. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #797 on: April 04, 2022, 11:06:24 AM »

Even the TV stations don't play it on replays. :lol You see every other movie always playing.

That could just be because it was a Universal film and not from Marvel/Disney themselves. It's not even on Disney+ last I checked, but the MCU has done a fairly good job of trying to reference it despite its loose connections due to a recast and dropped characters (where has Betty gone?).

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #798 on: April 04, 2022, 12:34:38 PM »
I know I read somewhere that it absolutely is a distribution/licensing issue with Universal.

But you notice that they don’t have the Spider-Man movies on D+ for the same reason (only that’s with Sony)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #799 on: April 04, 2022, 12:46:09 PM »
...but I do feel saddened by the reception of it because it shows people would rather have boring safe 'doesn't change up the formula' movies than Marvel doing something different.

No, the poor reception has nothing to do with it changing up the formula.  As Adami said:

I hope the takeaway from Eternals isn’t to stick to formula. The issue with it wasn’t the newness, it was a very mediocre and often poorly written script.

Among other things, but yes.  It was just a very poor film.  And one could argue that Eternals didn't change the formula at all, but was simply "yet another superhero team-up to fight generic baddies" film, and in that regard was much safer than some MCU films that did go out on a limb in various respects.  But we could argue all day about which MCU films took more of a risk and deviated more from "the formula," and still not agree on anything meaningful because, again, that wasn't the issue with this film at all.  Guardians for me is a textbook example of Marvel taking weak, unknown characters, and not much of a core story, and writing a brilliant script that developed into characters that we saw grow that made us care about them and their story.  Eternals, not so much.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: April 04, 2022, 02:10:37 PM »

That could just be because it was a Universal film and not from Marvel/Disney themselves. It's not even on Disney+ last I checked, but the MCU has done a fairly good job of trying to reference it despite its loose connections due to a recast and dropped characters (where has Betty gone?).

-Marc.

Still would play on regular TV but you rarely see it compared to other films.  Spiderman is all over TV yet that's a dual venture as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #801 on: April 04, 2022, 02:46:31 PM »
Well, Spider-Man is roughly 20 times more successful than Hulk.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: April 04, 2022, 04:12:00 PM »
Understood but if that's the case why do I see the Fantastic 4 movies still. Lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #803 on: April 14, 2022, 07:21:56 AM »
Rumors has it that Thor's trailer will be released early next week (possibly on Monday)  :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #804 on: April 14, 2022, 08:40:26 AM »
Rumors has it that Thor's trailer will be released early next week (possibly on Monday)  :corn

My body is ready.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion