Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 71644 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #735 on: February 21, 2022, 01:54:09 PM »
Is there a comic book thread?  I'm wondering what the most comprehensive Dr. Strange anthology/omnibus is.  I've read a lot of the early stories, but I'd like to go back and start from day one and read through.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=4320.msg2828427#msg2828427

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can sort by release date and whether the character made an appearance or is the featured character in the comic.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/characters/1009282/doctor_strange?byZone=marvel_site_zone&offset=0&byType=character&dateStart=&dateEnd=&orderBy=release_date+asc&formatType=issue,digitalcomic,collection&byId=1009282&limit=10&count=10&featured=true
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #736 on: February 21, 2022, 03:40:31 PM »
Is there a comic book thread?  I'm wondering what the most comprehensive Dr. Strange anthology/omnibus is.  I've read a lot of the early stories, but I'd like to go back and start from day one and read through.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=4320.msg2828427#msg2828427

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can sort by release date and whether the character made an appearance or is the featured character in the comic.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/characters/1009282/doctor_strange?byZone=marvel_site_zone&offset=0&byType=character&dateStart=&dateEnd=&orderBy=release_date+asc&formatType=issue,digitalcomic,collection&byId=1009282&limit=10&count=10&featured=true

Thank you; I'll check it out!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #737 on: February 22, 2022, 12:44:41 PM »
Well, crap.  I was vaguely aware that Netflix had a Daredevil series year ago, and some other Marvel-related (as opposed to MCU canon) shows, but didn't really care because we didn't have Netflix.  Well, Mrs. Orbert signed up for Netflix, and based solely on Matt Murdock's brief appearance in Spider-Man 3, and maybe a little bit because Fisk showed up in the Hawkeye show, we decided to watch Daredevil.  If it's all going to be canon now, we gotta catch up.

They (Netflix) just announced that Daredevil is going away at the end of the month.  We're eight episodes in.  Even binging madly, we're not going to get through 31 episodes by next Monday.  Bummer, because I'm really digging it so far.

So it's a Netflix show, and if Netflix decides to not carry it any more, is it basically gone?  There are no other options?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #738 on: February 22, 2022, 12:51:38 PM »
Well, crap.  I was vaguely aware that Netflix had a Daredevil series year ago, and some other Marvel-related (as opposed to MCU canon) shows, but didn't really care because we didn't have Netflix.  Well, Mrs. Orbert signed up for Netflix, and based solely on Matt Murdock's brief appearance in Spider-Man 3, and maybe a little bit because Fisk showed up in the Hawkeye show, we decided to watch Daredevil.  If it's all going to be canon now, we gotta catch up.

They (Netflix) just announced that Daredevil is going away at the end of the month.  We're eight episodes in.  Even binging madly, we're not going to get through 31 episodes by next Monday.  Bummer, because I'm really digging it so far.

So it's a Netflix show, and if Netflix decides to not carry it any more, is it basically gone?  There are no other options?
It was mentioned a few posts before, but I would not be surprised if the shows migrate to Hulu or Disney+, maybe at some point before the end of the year.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #739 on: February 22, 2022, 01:33:05 PM »
Yep.  There hasn't been an official announcement yet, but it will wind up on Hulu or Disney + before long.

Try to finish at least the first season before it leaves.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: February 22, 2022, 02:15:25 PM »

The shows are owned by Disney, they just leased the distribution rights out to Netflix.  That contract is now ending, so as others have stated, it's expected they'll migrate to Disney+ or Hulu soon.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #741 on: February 22, 2022, 02:18:51 PM »
That would be nice.  We can probably knock out the last five episodes of Season One.  Mrs. Orbert even suggested with binge out on Saturday, but the math just isn't working in our favor.  But yeah, we can probably finish Season One.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #742 on: February 22, 2022, 02:21:59 PM »
It's been awhile since I watched DD, so I don't remember whether it ever got as overtly sexually graphic as some of the other Netflix shows in subsequent seasons (I don't recall any of that in season 1).  But I don't believe Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, or Iron Fist could ever find their way onto D+ for going as far as they did, unless Disney+ were to come out with an "adult only" section, or something like that.  (dunno about Punisher.  I never got around to watching it)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #743 on: February 22, 2022, 02:22:45 PM »
I never got round to finish all the Netflix Marvel shows. I started Iron Fist and then lost track, anything released after that I haven't kept up so I guess I'll wait for Hulu to get it and then catch up.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: February 22, 2022, 02:26:20 PM »
It's been awhile since I watched DD, so I don't remember whether it ever got as overtly sexually graphic as some of the other Netflix shows in subsequent seasons (I don't recall any of that in season 1).  But I don't believe Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, or Iron Fist could ever find their way onto D+ for going as far as they did, unless Disney+ were to come out with an "adult only" section, or something like that.  (dunno about Punisher.  I never got around to watching it)

Apparently, in other countries, Disney+ just has a special section for the more mature content that has parental locks on it.  But in the US they've been segregating that material off to Hulu.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #745 on: February 22, 2022, 02:32:16 PM »
@Faizoff:  Iron Fist was easily my least favorite, and I think that is true for most people, from what I have seen.  But aside from that, it's an odd place to start because it builds on stuff from some of the other shows, so I personally don't think it works nearly as well as a standalone series.  Going off of really fuzzy memory, I think the only ones where you can watch all the seasons of a given show without watching the other shows, and still have it feel cohesive enough would be DD and maybe JJ.  Otherwise, I would recommend watching the Netflix shows in release order:

Daredevil (Season 1)
Jessica Jones (Season 1)
Daredevil (Season 2)
Luke Cage (Season 1)
Iron Fist (Season 1)
The Defenders (Limited Series)
The Punisher (Season 1)
Jessica Jones (Season 2)
Luke Cage (Season 2)
Iron Fist (Season 2)
Daredevil (Season 3)
The Punisher (Season 2)
Jessica Jones (Season 3)

*Again, I somehow skipped The Punisher, so I guess I need to quickly rectify that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #746 on: February 22, 2022, 02:34:57 PM »
Sorry should have clarified, I didn't start at Iron Fist. I watched everything as it was released up and until episode 1 or 2 of Iron Fist season 1. I didn't resume after that, got sidetracked with other things and just didn't get to watch the rest.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #747 on: February 22, 2022, 07:18:39 PM »
I never even finished Iron Fist. I liked the first season better than most people did. But the second season was quite a bit sillier and I had a tougher time with it. But my wife thought the second season was so idiotic that she stopped watching it all together. And I didn’t care enough about it to keep going so I think I only saw the first two or three episodes.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #748 on: February 22, 2022, 08:21:02 PM »
Daredevil (Season 1)
Jessica Jones (Season 1)
Daredevil (Season 2)
Luke Cage (Season 1)
Iron Fist (Season 1)
The Defenders (Limited Series)
The Punisher (Season 1)
Jessica Jones (Season 2)
Luke Cage (Season 2)
Iron Fist (Season 2)
Daredevil (Season 3)
The Punisher (Season 2)
Jessica Jones (Season 3)

I've seen all of these except the last two. After Daredevil S3, I just didn't find myself wanting to go back, even though I liked The Punisher in his previous appearances, and I liked JJ a lot as well, but I think I was burnt out on the Netflix Marvel stuff by that point. I mean, I have 6 days, but I don't think I'm quite in the mood to binge through those two shows. I guess I'll wait til it hits Disney+.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #749 on: February 23, 2022, 05:59:50 AM »
I never got around to The Punisher at all and I missed season 3 of Jessica Jones.  And then came the announcement that all of the shows were being canceled, so I figured, "What's the point?" and moved on to watching other things.

Daredevil is pretty great all around, season 1 of Jessica Jones is excellent, and the first half of season 1 of Luke Cage was really good.  The Defenders was, well, better than Iron Fist, at any rate.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #750 on: February 23, 2022, 06:32:37 AM »
I enjoyed the first season of The Punisher a lot. Season 2 was not as strong, but it was also enjoyable.

I never understood the dislike towards Iron Fist. Maybe it is because I went in expecting to be the worst thing to be shown on TV, but I ended enjoying.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #751 on: February 23, 2022, 08:49:35 AM »
I am working through as much of Punisher as I can before it goes away.  So far, season 1 is REALLY strong.

I never understood the dislike towards Iron Fist. Maybe it is because I went in expecting to be the worst thing to be shown on TV, but I ended enjoying.

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well.  Never understood the hate.  Definitely the least of the Netflix shows overall (although JJ season 3 would perhaps have been better left unmade), but still pretty good. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #752 on: February 23, 2022, 08:50:25 AM »
The problem with Iron Fist was the main character himself.  Just a doofus who can't go 5 minutes without announcing to anyone in earshot that he is the Immortal Iron Fist, as if they should know what the fuck he's talking about.

I thought the rest of the cast was fairly good.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #753 on: February 23, 2022, 08:59:06 AM »
The problem with Iron Fist was the main character himself.  Just a doofus who can't go 5 minutes without announcing to anyone in earshot that he is the Immortal Iron Fist, as if they should know what the fuck he's talking about.

I thought the rest of the cast was fairly good.

Not only that, but just announcing he's Danny Rand.  FFS pal, we get it.  S1 was a chore to get through, and if it wasn't the setup series for The Defenders, I would've pulled the ripcord on it pretty quick.  I didn't even watch S2.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #754 on: February 23, 2022, 09:41:10 AM »
Putting aside whether you two are greatly exaggerating things (which I think you are), I don't see why any of that is a problem.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #755 on: February 23, 2022, 09:55:03 AM »
Putting aside whether you two are greatly exaggerating things (which I think you are), I don't see why any of that is a problem.

Ok, so maybe not every 5 minutes ... but go back to the Iron Fist discussion thread, and virtually everyone was mentioning how ridiculous that aspect of the character was.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #756 on: February 23, 2022, 09:57:13 AM »

Ok, so maybe not every 5 minutes ... but go back to the Iron Fist discussion thread, and virtually everyone was mentioning how ridiculous that aspect of the character was.

I watched it in America and my mom watched it in Israel. When we'd talk about it, we'd basically just say "Im Danny RAAAAAAAAND" every time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #757 on: February 23, 2022, 01:13:09 PM »
“But…..I am the immortal Iron Fist!” is something of a running gag in my house as well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #758 on: February 23, 2022, 01:18:29 PM »
“But…..I am the immortal Iron Fist!” is something of a running gag in my house as well.

Yea, I think Iron Fist CAN be a very goofy character if not given a strong definition, and I don't think the writers had that strong character definition when they wrote it, so he came across as quite silly much of the time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #759 on: February 23, 2022, 02:27:11 PM »
I am the Immortal hefdaddy42.

Not really exaggerating very much.  If it was only once in a while, it wouldn't have made such an impression, on me or on all of these other fine DTF denizens.

I am the Immortal hefdaddy42.

I am the Immortal hefdaddy42!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #760 on: March 01, 2022, 09:42:58 AM »
It's been officially announced that the Netflix series are headed to Disney+. Which one should I start with? Never seen any of them.

Offline Adami

« Reply #761 on: March 01, 2022, 09:48:43 AM »
It's been officially announced that the Netflix series are headed to Disney+. Which one should I start with? Never seen any of them.

Bosk gave a rundown earlier. I’d do it in that order or at least start that way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #762 on: March 01, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »
It's been officially announced that the Netflix series are headed to Disney+.

Came here to post this. It's happening faster than I expected honestly (March 16), plus they are also bringing Agents of Shield.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #763 on: March 01, 2022, 10:13:47 AM »
It's been officially announced that the Netflix series are headed to Disney+.

Came here to post this. It's happening faster than I expected honestly (March 16), plus they are also bringing Agents of Shield.
Yeah, I'm a little surprised too. That it happened so fast and that it's being all dumped on all at the same time.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #764 on: March 01, 2022, 10:29:26 AM »
I'm just very surprised that it's going on Disney+, I would've thought for sure they'd be on Hulu in the US.

Offline Adami

« Reply #765 on: March 01, 2022, 10:34:24 AM »
I'm just very surprised that it's going on Disney+, I would've thought for sure they'd be on Hulu in the US.

I read there will be new parental controls coming with it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #766 on: March 01, 2022, 11:05:21 AM »

I read there will be new parental controls coming with it.
That's what the D+ announcement said. I suspect this is the start of more grown-up content heading to D+ and maybe ultimately all of Hulu shifting over.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #767 on: March 01, 2022, 11:28:24 AM »

Bosk gave a rundown earlier. I’d do it in that order or at least start that way.

Yep, definitely in order... Start with S1 of daredevil and work your way through. It's one hell of a ride, enjoy!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #768 on: March 01, 2022, 12:25:03 PM »

Yeah, for some, it doesn't matter.  But for others, there will be a lot that you miss by not going in order.  The Netflix shows are their own Marvel "universe," and there is a lot of crossover that makes running order important at times.  I would definitely go in release order.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #769 on: March 01, 2022, 12:42:33 PM »

Yeah, for some, it doesn't matter.  But for others, there will be a lot that you miss by not going in order.  The Netflix shows are their own Marvel "universe," and there is a lot of crossover that makes running order important at times.  I would definitely go in release order.
Cool, thanks! I don't know when I'll be able to start watching due to being in the middle of a move and home renovations, but I'm looking forward to getting started.