Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 71633 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #700 on: January 17, 2022, 06:34:47 AM »
Looks like we're getting a first Moon Knight trailer this monday.

This is one of my top characters from the comics, and I will be the first to admit that I am very nervous about it being on Disney as opposed to a Netflix series, given how god damn brutal the character is. I just hope they do him justice and don't make it really funny.
Moon Knight is one of my favorites too, and while I do agree with you in general, I think if it was completely devoid of humor it would ultimately end up making it not fun to watch. Now I'm not saying make it a constant barrage of one-liners, but some humor (when used correctly) is always good, in my opinion.

Humor in these things is a delicate instrument.  For the most part the Marvel Universe has got it right.  Every once in a blue moon, particularly with Tony Stark, they overdo it, but on balance it's just right.  I know these are superheroes, but I'm not generally a fan of the movies where the hero is putting on a Chris Rock standup routine while swinging planets in a slingshot.  Some characters are able to get away with more than others; I think Spider-Man lends itself to a bit more humor than, say, Batman (I know I'm switching franchises). I honestly don't know this character, so I don't know where the line might be.

Online HOF

« Reply #701 on: January 17, 2022, 08:32:26 AM »

This is one of my top characters from the comics, and I will be the first to admit that I am very nervous about it being on Disney as opposed to a Netflix series, given how god damn brutal the character is. I just hope they do him justice and don't make it really funny.
Moon Knight is one of my favorites too, and while I do agree with you in general, I think if it was completely devoid of humor it would ultimately end up making it not fun to watch. Now I'm not saying make it a constant barrage of one-liners, but some humor (when used correctly) is always good, in my opinion.

Humor in these things is a delicate instrument.  For the most part the Marvel Universe has got it right.  Every once in a blue moon, particularly with Tony Stark, they overdo it, but on balance it's just right.  I know these are superheroes, but I'm not generally a fan of the movies where the hero is putting on a Chris Rock standup routine while swinging planets in a slingshot.  Some characters are able to get away with more than others; I think Spider-Man lends itself to a bit more humor than, say, Batman (I know I'm switching franchises). I honestly don't know this character, so I don't know where the line might be.

I can’t stand Tony Stark’s schtick, but we just watched Ragnarok last night, and I find Thor genuinely hilarious.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #702 on: January 17, 2022, 02:03:23 PM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: January 18, 2022, 06:51:52 AM »

I can’t stand Tony Stark’s schtick, but we just watched Ragnarok last night, and I find Thor genuinely hilarious.

And I think you just nailed that fine line.  I think Thor is handled perfectly.  PERFECTLY.  (Spider-Man too). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #704 on: January 18, 2022, 10:17:59 AM »
When animatronics go wrong.  https://mobile.twitter.com/uptotask/status/1483170938241753088
lol

I watched a video on that Spider-Man animatronic, and it was fascinating.  But mishaps like that are why they have extra parts that can be switched out quickly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #705 on: January 18, 2022, 10:26:00 AM »
I watched the Titan scenes with Thanos vs. Avengers from Infinity War for the millionth time this morning. I really think those are my single favorite action scenes in the entire MCU. It's just the most batshit crazy thing to watch from the moment it starts, through Quill punching Thanos, to Strange fighting him. I would watch an entire documentary on how they choreographed and edited all of that.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #706 on: January 28, 2022, 02:43:27 PM »
I'm still two movies behind but we're just about done with Hawkeye (2 episodes left) and this is far and away my favorite of the shows. So entertaining and hope we see a lot more of Kate Bishop in the future.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #707 on: February 12, 2022, 09:16:20 AM »
Anyone interested in participating in a "Rank the MCU Title" thread like what Kev did with DT and is now doing with Rush? We would need to define exactly what the official MCU releases are - the 20-odd movies as well as TV and Disney streaming shows. Anyone up for it? I can coordinate it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #708 on: February 12, 2022, 09:21:01 AM »
I'd be interested. As for official releases...I'd definitely include...

All MCU Movies
All D+ shows
All Netflix Shows
Agents of Sheild/Agent Carter

Not sure if anything else falls in the blast radius.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #709 on: February 12, 2022, 09:48:23 AM »
I'm interested as well, sounds fun. Maybe it will get me to rewatch some of the older movies
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: February 12, 2022, 09:48:31 AM »

All MCU Movies
All D+ shows
All Netflix Shows

Inhumans... but only because that deserves to be blasted into oblivion.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #711 on: February 12, 2022, 09:59:29 AM »

All MCU Movies
All D+ shows
All Netflix Shows

Inhumans... but only because that deserves to be blasted into oblivion.

:lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #712 on: February 12, 2022, 10:06:27 AM »
I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I think it was about a year ago that I watched the Inhumans on D+ for the first time. And I was expecting this MST3K level dumpster fire that we could LOL at like Plan 9 from Outer Space or some thing. But with my expectations set THAT low, I actually found myself rather enjoying many aspects of it. I don’t think it’s as terrible as everybody says it is. But maybe it’s just because I went in expecting something so much worse.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #713 on: February 12, 2022, 10:37:15 AM »

All MCU Movies
All D+ shows
All Netflix Shows

I'd be down, but how would you do the Netflix shows? Separate seasons or just as one show? Cause it'd be pretty hard to compare Daredevil season 1-3 to movies.

Also anyone else read that all Marvel shows are leaving Netflix in March?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #714 on: February 12, 2022, 11:13:57 AM »
I'm not sure I would include the shows.  It's hard to rank an entire season (or multiple seasons) of a show against a 2+ hour film.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #715 on: February 12, 2022, 12:07:40 PM »
It could be 2 separate ranking for the shows and movies.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #716 on: February 12, 2022, 12:10:43 PM »
It could be 2 separate ranking for the shows and movies.

Yea, I'd be down for an MCU films ranking and a TV show ranking.

It's hard with the TV shows to decide what to count. Is it just the Disney + stuff? Netflix stuff included? Agents of Shield? The Gifted? Inhumans?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #717 on: February 12, 2022, 02:28:00 PM »
I'm not sure I would include the shows.  It's hard to rank an entire season (or multiple seasons) of a show against a 2+ hour film.

Not really, just ask yourself, what's better, Daredevil as a series or The Eternals?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #718 on: February 12, 2022, 03:19:11 PM »
In other news, gotta figure out what to binge before they pull all the Netflix stuff March 1st. Definitely have to do another run of DD, LC and Punisher. Maybe JJ S1 too. Such good material.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #719 on: February 12, 2022, 03:41:50 PM »
In other news, gotta figure out what to binge before they pull all the Netflix stuff March 1st. Definitely have to do another run of DD, LC and Punisher. Maybe JJ S1 too. Such good material.
I wouldn't be surprised if they reappear on D+ or Hulu

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #720 on: February 12, 2022, 06:49:58 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they reappear on D+ or Hulu

Oh I'm sure they will, Hulu I'd imagine since the material is a bit too dark for D+, but they'll give it some. Time, make sure we miss it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #721 on: February 13, 2022, 04:25:41 PM »
New Dr. Strange trailer in the Superb Owl ( :)) need to rewatch it, some interesting footage. This movie is going to be amazing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b-6ph5og-UE

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: February 14, 2022, 06:58:23 AM »
Opening night IMAX guaranteed!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: February 14, 2022, 10:17:09 AM »

All MCU Movies
All D+ shows
All Netflix Shows

Add Runaways and Cloak & Dagger. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #724 on: February 15, 2022, 07:00:26 AM »
Marvel Netflix original shows and Agents of SHIELD last day on Netflix February 28.

I imagine that SHIELD migrates to Disney + and the Netflix originals hit Hulu (maybe too violent/dark for Disney +).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #725 on: February 17, 2022, 05:55:42 AM »
Anyone else watch the making of documentary for The Eternals on D+? The most interesting thing in it was Kevin Fiege calling Endgame the "final Avengers movie".

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: February 17, 2022, 06:32:18 AM »
Anyone else watch the making of documentary for The Eternals on D+? The most interesting thing in it was Kevin Fiege calling Endgame the "final Avengers movie".

Still been meaning to check that out.  My initial reaction to that is he's probably referring to *that* lineup of the "Avengers".  Never say never... but there are lots of different iterations of "Avengers" in the comics.  From a TV perspective, they're certainly starting to put together the Young Avengers.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #727 on: February 17, 2022, 07:02:16 AM »
It's also very possible that, even if we see another group of Avengers, the movie itself won't have the title.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #728 on: February 17, 2022, 08:37:51 AM »
Oooh, didn't know that was up, I love those. Just watched the Hawkeye one the other day. I love the reverence the actors hold for the MCU, it's such a bucket list these days for the community.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: February 17, 2022, 08:44:31 AM »
I still have to check the Shang-Chi and Hawkeye ones!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #730 on: February 17, 2022, 10:53:15 AM »
I still have to check the Shang-Chi and Hawkeye ones!

Kinda bummed now we won't see one for No Way Home. :sad:

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #731 on: February 17, 2022, 01:45:12 PM »

Still been meaning to check that out.  My initial reaction to that is he's probably referring to *that* lineup of the "Avengers".  Never say never... but there are lots of different iterations of "Avengers" in the comics.  From a TV perspective, they're certainly starting to put together the Young Avengers.
Yeah, they're clearly setting up a young Avengers team-up. Or at least the possibility of it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #732 on: February 17, 2022, 05:26:53 PM »
Just finished the Eternals edition of Assembled. Really liked it, almost more than the movie itself. Makes you really appreciate the tremendous effort that goes into an MCU film, and how as I said above, being in the MCU is a special marker in a movie career for actors.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: February 21, 2022, 01:42:15 PM »
Is there a comic book thread?  I'm wondering what the most comprehensive Dr. Strange anthology/omnibus is.  I've read a lot of the early stories, but I'd like to go back and start from day one and read through.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #734 on: February 21, 2022, 01:50:03 PM »
There is a comic book thread. I might start posting my (brief and rubbish) reviews of the things I've just read in it.

*Toddles off to find it*
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.