Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69715 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #630 on: November 22, 2021, 07:01:19 AM »
Yeah, what, if any, the movies lack, the tv shows more than make up for. All three have been quality, and two fall in the outstanding area (WV and Loki). I totally agree on Shang Chi, and have a slightly higher opinion of Eternals, though do agree with some of the criticisms.

Can you bring up a good point that F&WS Was probably slightly less well received than the first two. Even though I personally only saw social issues and not political angles to the storyline, I’m not sure everyone else saw it that way. And sadly, I think political leanings tend to taint peoples opinion of the series. I don’t wanna get too deep into that idea outside of the P/R forum, but even removing all that muck, I thought Stan and Anthony had good chemistry and made a decent “buddy cop” show. Any faults in the story I personally chalk up to the much reported delays of the COVID outbreak, and the entire series being truncated because of that.

For me personally, I think the other two were just so, so outstanding, especially Wandavision. I loved the social issues, especially how the two sides were both battling great injustices. I think the social issues saved it from being just a fun buddy cop show. The scenes with Isaiah were some of the most powerful Marvel has done. Again, comparatively, for me, it was just a step below the other two shows.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #631 on: November 22, 2021, 07:39:26 AM »
Yeah, what, if any, the movies lack, the tv shows more than make up for. All three have been quality, and two fall in the outstanding area (WV and Loki). I totally agree on Shang Chi, and have a slightly higher opinion of Eternals, though do agree with some of the criticisms.

Can you bring up a good point that F&WS Was probably slightly less well received than the first two. Even though I personally only saw social issues and not political angles to the storyline, I’m not sure everyone else saw it that way. And sadly, I think political leanings tend to taint peoples opinion of the series. I don’t wanna get too deep into that idea outside of the P/R forum, but even removing all that muck, I thought Stan and Anthony had good chemistry and made a decent “buddy cop” show. Any faults in the story I personally chalk up to the much reported delays of the COVID outbreak, and the entire series being truncated because of that.

Just want to point out that to many - not necessarily me, but many - "social issues" ARE "political issues" (and vice versa).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #632 on: November 22, 2021, 08:12:12 AM »
Didn’t see it until this morning, but I just wanted to point out that I was using talk to text and the “can“ at the beginning of that post was a phantom addition.

It was just supposed to read “You bring up a good point…”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #633 on: November 22, 2021, 08:17:51 AM »
I keep hearing buzz about phase 4 being a downturn so far, and I feel like it’s grossly premature to say that.

I hardly count BW since it technically takes place in the phase 3 timeline. Shang-Chi (as I stated in that thread) is an incredible film that easily enters the top half (maybe top 6?) of the movies, and definitely improves with a 2nd viewing. And The Eternals isn’t going over that well, but most agree that it at least trying to be different. And most of the shows have been pretty successful with generally very positive feedback.

That’s really just 2 films...one excellent, one not so much. And 4 TV shows, with What If being the only one with fairly meh feedback.

So I’m not seeing this supposed drop in quality that some sites are buzzing on.

No, it's 3 films.  When BW takes place is irrelevant to what phase it is released in.  The "phase" has to do with the release date, not the chronology.  I don't see anyone arguing that Captain Marvel somehow isn't "phase 3" simply because it takes place chronologically before any of the other films (except the first part of Captain America).  And the issue people are discussing isn't that part of the MCU chronology feels weak.  It's that the releases after phase 3 have felt weak. 

Personally, I kinda agree with you in saying that it is premature to say that "phase 3" feels weak.  But I'm fine saying (and I agree) that "phase 3 so far feels weak.  Just talking about the films (I thought the tv shows were all great, but feels weird rating them alongside films), I think it's legit to feel like there has been a big letdown from phase 3.  But that said, I'm also going to defend them somewhat and point out that, even if we agree that there has been a big letdown, some of that likely has to do with the fact that we don't yet see where phase 4 is headed and are just kinda taking these stories more or less in isolation.  If we go back to phase 1, Hulk, IM2, and Thor weren't that great either, in isolation, and that's half of phase 1.  But the thing is, we know in retrospect where they were headed.  And, even at the time, I think people were so giddy over the inevitable Avengers teamup that we were willing to excuse a lot more.  I know that was true for me.  For phase 4, we don't know where we're going.  We don't know how (or whether) these films are integral to a bigger narrative that is going to be fulfilling and exciting.  "Phase 4" may end up being great in retrospect when we have more context for the entire thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #634 on: November 22, 2021, 08:27:00 AM »
When I’m watching the MCU movies in order, I always watch CM after The First Avenger and before Iron Man, but I guess most people view it as a phase 3 film, so I guess I’ll concede that point. Maybe it would just be more accurate to state that we only have 2 films that wholly deal with the story phase 4 is setting up.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #635 on: November 22, 2021, 08:31:27 AM »
I view Captain Marvel as a spiritual Phase 1 film.

Partially because it feels that way and makes the most sense, and partially cause it causes Bosk to grunt a little.  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #636 on: November 22, 2021, 08:34:47 AM »
I view Captain Marvel as a spiritual Phase 1 film.

Partially because it feels that way and makes the most sense, and partially cause it causes Bosk to grunt a little.  :biggrin:

Whew…I thought it was just me.  :rollin :rollin

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #637 on: November 22, 2021, 08:42:20 AM »
Black Widow was underwhelming to me.   Shang Chi was awesome.  I have not seen Eternals yet.

After the big culmination of everything in Endgame, we're back to individual films, like at the beginning of the MCU.  We're used to seeing heroes cross over and show up in everyone else's films, or have big, giant Avengers spectacle films and that's not going to happen again for a while.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #638 on: November 22, 2021, 09:59:38 AM »
Phase 4 for me so far:

Black Widow was OK at best.  Bottom tier.

Shang-Chi was hella fun.  Not sure where to place it, but definitely upper half, maybe upper quarter.

Eternals was huge and awesome, but a little cold.  Upper half for sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #639 on: November 22, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »
Phase 4 for me so far:

Black Widow was OK at best.  Bottom tier.

Shang-Chi was hella fun.  Not sure where to place it, but definitely upper half, maybe upper quarter.

Eternals was huge and awesome, but a little cold.  Upper half for sure.

As Blob stated, Hef is right on all things.  ^This is a validates the accuracy of saidstatement.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #640 on: November 22, 2021, 11:33:03 AM »
I'll play:

-Black Widow:  There just wasn't a "need" for this film.  She is (was) a fantastic supporting character, and even in her own film, didn't seem like she was necessarily the biggest focal point and the one driving the film rather than just, again, being a really great supporting character.  But that said, and despite justifiable angst over how taskmaster was used and developed, I liked it a lot.  I would put it somewhere in the middle of the pack. 

-Shang Chi:  I liked it better on second viewing.  But as I have said a couple of times in the Shang Chi thread, it felt like once they introduced Trevor, which was awesome, the film seemed to tread water and not go anywhere interesting, and kind of felt like its only goal was to give an incredible visual spectacle.  The characters and the plot just seemed to go off into "not very interesting" territory after that point.  I liked it, but felt disappointed and thought that the seeds were there for them to do something truly incredible that never really materialized.

-Eternals:  Hated it.  Worst MCU entry by far and the first time I felt like an MCU film doesn't belong and isn't anywhere near up to Marvel standards.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #641 on: November 22, 2021, 11:55:25 AM »
I don't know if Phase 4 is necessarily bad or if it's just my lack of interest in the movies so far going into them:

Black Widow - Possibly the weakest MCU movie so far. I don't necessarily think it was bad but this felt maybe 10 years overdue and everything about it just felt Marvel by the numbers. Generic CGI action sequences and I was rolling my eyes at how much damage Black Widow could take (as a human) without showing any signs of being hurt.

Shang Chi - Enjoyable but pretty generic, felt a bit like Black Panther 2.0 but with the asian vibe instead of african. Better than Black Widow but would still probably be in the lower half of my MCU rankings. (Probably closer to the middle than bottom)

Eternals - Has some flaws but the best out of the 3 just because it tries to do some new things and it's not as heavy on the MCU formula as the other two. At least throws some interesting moral questions into the mix about whether the Eternals should interfere or not, and while it wasn't a homerun it was enjoyable I thought. In my overall ratings I think this would be in the upper half of MCU but closer to the middle than the top.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: November 22, 2021, 12:55:46 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, the early films were like listening to the Beatles, the Stones and The Beach Boys.  All the big names:  Thor, Iron Man, The Hulk.   I only know Black Widow from the earlier movies, not the comics, and I never heard of the titular characters of the current phase.  Doesn't mean I won't go see them, but that may account for SOME of the perceived drop. Those earlier characters are iconic for a reason.

Online Adami

« Reply #643 on: November 22, 2021, 01:00:22 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, the early films were like listening to the Beatles, the Stones and The Beach Boys.  All the big names:  Thor, Iron Man, The Hulk.   I only know Black Widow from the earlier movies, not the comics, and I never heard of the titular characters of the current phase.  Doesn't mean I won't go see them, but that may account for SOME of the perceived drop. Those earlier characters are iconic for a reason.

I think if it were only a matter of box office, sure. And keep in mind for a lot of people Iron Man, Thor, etc are not The Beatles or Stones. Spider-Man, X-Men and so forth were MUCH more popular before the movies.

But, as someone who is very familiar with Eternals, Black Widow, and most of the rest from the comics, I can't agree that played a huge role. Guardians was super obscure for non-comic fans and that movie did gang busters. Why? Had a good script (even if I didn't love the bad guy at all and had problems with it). I am not super familiar with Shang Chi from the comics but that movie was more praised than even Black Widow. Eternals just had a mess of a script that needed a stronger re-write that focused it a lot more. It being unfamiliar I doubt hindered it a ton. At this point, people go see MCU movie #25 rather than the actual title.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: November 22, 2021, 01:02:54 PM »

I think if it were only a matter of box office, sure. And keep in mind for a lot of people Iron Man, Thor, etc are not The Beatles or Stones. Spider-Man, X-Men and so forth were MUCH more popular before the movies.

But, as someone who is very familiar with Eternals, Black Widow, and most of the rest from the comics, I can't agree that played a huge role. Guardians was super obscure for non-comic fans and that movie did gang busters. Why? Had a good script (even if I didn't love the bad guy at all and had problems with it). I am not super familiar with Shang Chi from the comics but that movie was more praised than even Black Widow. Eternals just had a mess of a script that needed a stronger re-write that focused it a lot more. It being unfamiliar I doubt hindered it a ton. At this point, people go see MCU movie #25 rather than the actual title.

You're right; I WILL see The Eternals even though I've never heard of them.

Online Adami

« Reply #645 on: November 22, 2021, 01:13:36 PM »
God damn right!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #646 on: November 22, 2021, 02:36:23 PM »
I guess first of all, who am I to question the moneymaking machine that is the MCU? They make ton of money and they will keep doing so. But I think they used to do a better job of sprinkling in new properties in between the bigger more established ones. We're now down to the C-tier of heroes and even though we could get a Shang Chi or Black Widow movie that's top tier Marvel, I think as far as the hype going into them, it's not really names that make you go "oh boy I can't wait for that". But we're now getting sequels to Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, Thor and Black Panther so I think hype might go up a bit. Credits to them for having the balls of starting this phase with the more unknown stuff though.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #647 on: November 23, 2021, 01:41:13 AM »
My guess is that once they've pulled in X-Men, Deadpool and the Fantastic Four, Shang-Chi and Eternals will be more like "and-those-other-guys". But who knows at this point.

I'm interested to see how they'll avoid the MCU becoming bogged down with tons of almost-arbitrary characters from this point on. But hey, I trust that the most successful film makers in the world have got it covered.  ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #648 on: November 23, 2021, 06:57:25 AM »
My guess is that once they've pulled in X-Men, Deadpool and the Fantastic Four, Shang-Chi and Eternals will be more like "and-those-other-guys". But who knows at this point.

I'm interested to see how they'll avoid the MCU becoming bogged down with tons of almost-arbitrary characters from this point on. But hey, I trust that the most successful film makers in the world have got it covered.  ;D

The comic universes seemed to handle it ok. I mean, it is based on the comics, and the comics, while sometimes poignant and even powerful, are usually overblown dramatics, heroics, and downright silly at times. Physics and laws of reality are things for posers who don't dare to dream. As they expand the MCU, I fully expect to see more and more of this level of productions, and I'm all in for it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: November 23, 2021, 07:38:35 AM »

The comic universes seemed to handle it ok. I mean, it is based on the comics, and the comics, while sometimes poignant and even powerful, are usually overblown dramatics, heroics, and downright silly at times. Physics and laws of reality are things for posers who don't dare to dream. As they expand the MCU, I fully expect to see more and more of this level of productions, and I'm all in for it.

HAHAHA!   I love that!   :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #650 on: November 23, 2021, 07:57:47 AM »
 :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #651 on: November 23, 2021, 03:01:51 PM »
I'll throw in my thoughts on the Phase 4 Films so far...

Black Widow: A fairly entertaining action spectacle, but beyond the stunts and explosions, the plot is a bit thin. The film is mostly saved by Yelena Belova and a bit by Red Guardian, but everything and everyone else is simply "meh" for me. In my current MCU ranking, it sits at 24th place between Thor 1 and The Incredible Hulk. Like others have said, it's a bit "too little, too late" for me, though if you view it as an origin story for Yelena and possibly taking up the mantle of the MCU's (main) Black Widow, then it gets a bit better. Definitely the worst comic-to-film villain adaptation of the MCU so far, even including all of Iron Man's villains.

Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings: Loved it. Loved seeing Asian-American rep in the MCU more, loved the bits of connective tissues within the MCU, calling back the Ten Rings from previous films, Trevor Slattery, Wong, Abomination, and also introducing us to a new corner of the MCU with new characters and destinations, though the third act falls a bit into the typical CGI-fest big battle that MCU films are known for at the end of their films, but the story of Wenwu and his family are at the core of the film, and Tony Leung really steals the film for me. Shang-Chi is currently 9th in my MCU ranking right now, just below The First Avengers and above Black Panther, two other really good origin story films.

Eternals: I had some high hopes going into this one, and for the most part, they were reached, but with such a large cast, I knew the film wasn't going to give us what we wanted as far as proper character development. The film would have had to have been at LEAST three hours to really do the characters justice, but I enjoyed what we got of all of them. It's such a shame that Dane, Ajak, Phastos, and Makkari were fairly overlooked as I wanted to really know more about all of them. I'm hoping a sequel film (or Disney+ series) will expand upon these characters, but its not the worst MCu film for me. Eternals sits at 18th place for me, just below Ant-Man and just above Iron Man 2. I enjoyed the very artful direction and production, and the song used at the opening credits really put a smile on my face. Sitting at 18th means I liked it more than 8 other films in the MCU.

Looking forward, we've got Spider-Man: No Way Home, which is honestly my most anticipated film of 2021. I know a lot has been leaked and rumored about it and some folks' expectations may not be met, but I am anxiously awaiting to see it either way.

Then we have a LONG wait of 4.5 month til May 6th and Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness, which promises to introduce some exciting elements and characters, as well as revisiting Wanda Maximoff for the first time since earlier this year, so it'll be interesting to see where she's been and what she's been doing since the end of her series. I am sure this one will blow folks away, especially with Sam Raimi at the helm.

Then in July 2022 is Thor: Love And Thunder, and as a HUGE fan of Ragnarok and the Guardians films, I am eager to see what Waititi will do with these characters, though depending on how folks feel about Natalie Portman/Jane Foster, they may or may not enjoy this one. I am curious about how Christian Bale will play Gor the God Butcher, and just how comic accurate he'll be in the film. They did a good job with Hela, so I'm hoping this next villain will be just as menacing.

And the last film of 2022 will be Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, and this is the one of the three films in 2022 that I am the most worried for, not just because T'Challa won't be in it, but I'm just wondering what they'll do with the film and the characters. Losing Chadwick was devastating, though I'm sure they will honor him appropriately. Then of course, there's all of the stuff going on surrounding Letitia Wright, though I won't bring that up here. Hopefully this one will surprise us all and be just as big of a hit as Black Panther was in 2018.

Looking past 2022, 2023 has four films coming - The Marvels on Feb. 17th, GOTG Vol. 3 on May 5th, Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania on July 28th, and an unknown fourth film on November 3rd - and 2024 also has four films (Feb. 16, May 3, July 26, and Nov 8). Of those five un-announced dates, we still have titles without release dates yet including Blade, Fantastic Four, Deadpool 3, Captain America 4, and a film about Mutants, which all sound VERY excited to me. But I'm noticing that, other than Shang-Chi and Eternals, we're not getting anything brand new to the silver screen. Everything known/announced so far is either a sequel or a reboot of another character/franchise that was previously done by another studio.

It seems like all of the new IPs are landing on Disney+, like Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, and Iron Heart, and I don't blame them. They're able to flesh these new characters out more with 5-6 hours of content, and then if they land well with audiences, there's always the chance they could jump to the big screen. Like imagine Moon Knight appearing in Blade, or She-Hulk showing up in Captain America 4. We already known Ms. Marvel and Photon/Monica Rambeau are showing up in The Marvels with Carol Danvers, so it's definitely possible that other Disney+ characters will move into the films, which I think was always the idea with these characters, since it didn't really happen before with other Marvel shows that were tentatively connected to the MCU (like Agents Of SHIELD and the Netflix shows).

The next three years are definitely packed tight with tons of new content, but I can definitely understand if some fans are beginning to feel fatigue at this point. With 3-5 shows and 3-4 films per year, it's a LOT to take in, and unless Marvel Studios/Disney can keep things fresh and interesting, fans may start to find other things to get into.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: November 23, 2021, 03:38:24 PM »
To the very last sentence.... isn't that the whole point of doing things like Shang-Chi, and The Eternals?  To keep things from getting stale, and just the same ole same ole.  That's how I see it at least.  It'd be lazy (imo), just to use the A-List heroes - I like that they're digging deep a little, and giving something unexpected and/or obscure.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #653 on: November 23, 2021, 03:46:49 PM »
To the very last sentence.... isn't that the whole point of doing things like Shang-Chi, and The Eternals?  To keep things from getting stale, and just the same ole same ole.  That's how I see it at least.  It'd be lazy (imo), just to use the A-List heroes - I like that they're digging deep a little, and giving something unexpected and/or obscure.

Oh I agree, and of the three films released so far, those two have been the better two IMO. I was just pointing out that the new characters are all on TV rather than on the big screen, which makes me wonder if that was planned or coincidental. Either way, it'll cost less to see more of these new characters than it would be to see them in theaters, so I'm glad it's working out this way. If the upcoming shows are as good, or better than what we've gotten so far, I might be inclined to say that MCU on Disney+ will exceed MCU on the silver screen, but they've got some long-awaited sequels and reboots coming. A bit of a win-win, I think, giving the big sequels the bigger budgets, but also giving fans more of the new characters on TV with 5-6 hours each for their shows.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #654 on: November 23, 2021, 07:38:10 PM »
After Spiderman and Dr. Strange, none of the films, either with firm release dates, or just off in the future, interest me in the least.  Some of the D+ shows look interesting.  But film-wise, eh, I think I'm content to just say that the MCU's best days are clearly behind them.  What a run it was!  They built up to something amazing, and there's nothing wrong with them never reaching that peak again.  Just, for me, I'm willing to consider it "over" and just enjoy what was rather than getting soured on what looks to be a huge nothing sandwich of future releases.

To Chad's point, that's a tough balance.  The MCU has built a brand, and for better or worse, that brand has certain expectations built into it.  After this long, if you don't change it up enough, some will lose interest because "same-old same-old"/"there's no growth."  But deviate too far, change it up too much or too often, and you lose people who don't want change.  There is probably a sweet spot in there where you maximize the number of people who stay happy (or minimize the number who don't).  But where that is, who knows?  If any of us had the answer, Disney would pay us a ton of money.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: November 23, 2021, 07:55:34 PM »
To me, MCU is like a child growing.  IW / Endgame is tantamount to my kids Christmas when they were 4 years old.  That was the most magical Christmas for the jingle.family.  Was that "peak" childhood, and all the best days were behind me at that point?  No, it just got different.  Some things better, some things worse.  Some things harder, some things easier.  That's kinda the way I'm looking at the evolution of the MCU.  I don't know what the future holds, so I'm not holding them to any expectations - other than the expectation of being entertained.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #656 on: November 23, 2021, 08:05:22 PM »
Bosk1, I don't understand your stance.  These characters you do not know is a great way to see them for the 1st time.  What better hands to see them in than to their  Marvel universe?  Their history should mean something.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #657 on: November 23, 2021, 08:23:31 PM »
Bosk1, I don't understand your stance.  These characters you do not know is a great way to see them for the 1st time.  What better hands to see them in than to their  Marvel universe?  Their history should mean something.

Yeah, I hear you.  And up until recently, I would have (and I have) said similar things.  But we are now 3 movies into phase 4, and the track record is not good.  As far as producing movies I personally would enjoy, they are on a VERY steep downhill trajectory after the end of phase 3.  So, in short, while I would have almost blindly trusted the hands these films are in in the past, that trust no longer exists.  I am still confident they can and will put out some good movies.  But I am no longer confident that they would put out consistently good movies.  And, honestly, it's okay that they will almost for sure never put out anything as good as the first three phases.  That's fine.  At the end of the day, they're just movies.  And they gave me a lot of movies I really, really enjoy.  I have no problem facing the fact that it'll probably never be anywhere even remotely close to that again.  No problem at all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #658 on: November 23, 2021, 08:54:25 PM »
I feel that Black Widow is a movie the never got to in the original phases.  That's on Marvel.   The last 2 I've enjoyed immensely so I'mooking forward to see the story archline.

We are just at the origin so far.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #659 on: November 23, 2021, 10:42:59 PM »
I wonder if the injury to Letitia Wright will hold back BPII's release? Seems it was a severe concussion and a bad shoulder break, putting off production till January at least.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #660 on: November 24, 2021, 12:14:42 AM »
Ouch. Hope she's ok.

I'm looking forward to Spidey, Dr Strange, Thor and Guardians the most.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #661 on: November 24, 2021, 03:35:27 AM »
I'm looking forward to all of it.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: November 24, 2021, 05:03:48 AM »

Same.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: November 24, 2021, 09:27:00 AM »

Same.

Ditto.  The MCU is more like a TV series than a movie series.  We hit a big season finale with Endgame, and now we're in the next season where things calm down for a bit.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #664 on: November 24, 2021, 09:28:47 AM »

Same.

Ditto.  The MCU is more like a TV series than a movie series.  We hit a big season finale with Endgame, and now we're in the next season where things calm down for a bit.

That’s a great way of putting it. I feel like we’re back to the next “setup”.