Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69735 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #385 on: July 08, 2021, 11:49:33 PM »
Of course you can have spoilers.  You don't need permission for that.  :lol  We've just agreed to keep this thread spoiler free for a short time after something airs.  If you want to start a spoiler thread to discuss, have at it.
Yeah this. I feel like we keep having the same conversation every few weeks. :lol

Individual dedicated threads = spoilerpocalypse.
This thread = no recent spoilers, per the title.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #386 on: July 09, 2021, 04:50:42 AM »
Geez, lighten up... I was just razzin.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #387 on: July 09, 2021, 09:19:58 AM »
Black Widow tickets for Sunday at 11am, just have to avoid spoilers for the next 2 days, shouldn't be too hard right?  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #388 on: July 09, 2021, 09:41:39 AM »
Honestly, with the one off nature of the film, I'm not to concerned about spoilers, there's no real timeline to bust like in the tv shows or like we had rolling towards the end of the Infinity saga.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #389 on: July 19, 2021, 12:11:28 PM »
I rewatched the whole lot last year on furlough and did a list, here it is with added Widow.

1. Infinity War.
2. Cap America : Civil War.
3. Endgame.
4. Cap America : Winter Soldier.
5. Avengers
6. Guardian of the Galaxy.
7. Spider-man Homecoming.
8. Avengers : Ultron
9. Iron Man 3.
10. Ant-Man.
11. Captain Marvel.
12. Iron Man
13. Thor 1.
14, Black Panther.
15. Captain American 1
16. Thor : Ragnarok.
17. Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
18. BLACK WIDOW.
19. Spider-Man : Far From Home.
20. Doctor Strange
21. Ant-Man and Wasp.
22 Thor 2.
23. The Incredible Hulk.
24. Iron Man 2

I know she will complain about Ragnorok so low, and I accept that is probably the one I'm furthest away from general consensus.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: July 19, 2021, 12:44:48 PM »
Watched Iron Man last weekend, thought it was pretty solid.  I may have liked Captain America 1 a bit more, but both were much better than Captain Marvel IMO.  Looks like we are onto Iron Man 2 next, not sure when we will watch, maybe in the next week. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #391 on: July 19, 2021, 12:49:28 PM »
I don't have a problem with Ragnarok being so low in your list. For me, the movie quality in the MCU is so good that I consider all but 3 movies, to be in the "good" to "great" categories. Those 3 movies excluded I consider them average (not bad).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:00:26 PM by Vmadera00 »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #392 on: July 19, 2021, 02:40:18 PM »
I gotta do a list, I've seen each movie enough times (aside from Black Widow) to do it justly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #393 on: July 19, 2021, 03:06:03 PM »
I don't know that I can.  How do I rank the GOTG1 vs. GOTG2?  Just put them consecutive and "1" first because it came first?   Who knows?   

I do know that some are higher than others.  I like the Spider-Man film a lot, I liked the second Iron Man a lot.  I didn't go gaga over Black Panther.   I thought Ant-Man was amusing for a while.  I LOVED Dr. Strange....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #394 on: July 19, 2021, 03:12:39 PM »
Here is my ranking.

Avengers: Infinity War
Avengers: Endgame
The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
Iron Man
Black Panther
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain America: The First Avenger
Ant-Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Iron Man 3
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Doctor Strange
Black Widow
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Ant-Man and The Wasp
Thor
Captain Marvel
The Incredible Hulk
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #395 on: July 19, 2021, 03:30:26 PM »
So I'm nearing the end of my massive month-long MCU Rewatch marathon, and I've rewatched the first 22 films, WandaVision, and now I'm in the middle of TFATWS. After that will be Spider-Man: Far From Home (the last film chronologically speaking, which also takes place after WV and TFATWS). As I've rewatched each film, I've placed them in different tiers, but haven't quite nailed down a ranking as of yet, so I'll try that here (minus SM:FFH, but I'll update this post once I've watched it again later this week).

S-Tier:
Avengers: Endgame & Avengers: Infinity War (these are both so good, they practically tie for first place for me)
Avengers (Assemble)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
Thor: Ragnarok

A-Tier:
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Black Panther
Spider-Man: Homecoming & Far From Home (tied)
Doctor Strange
Avengers: Age Of Ultron
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 1 & Vol 2 (They're tied for me)
Ant-Man
Iron Man 2
Captain Marvel

B-Tier:
Ant-Man And The Wasp
Iron Man 3
Thor
Black Widow
The Incredible Hulk

C-Tier:
Thor: The Dark World

As for the three Disney+ shows, Loki barely edged out WandaVision for the top spot, but both are A-Tier, and TFATWS is below those two in B-Tier (which is probably where I feel it will remain as I run through it again, great action and fun dynamic between Sam and Bucky, but a neutered villain plot and what they did with Sharon kind of soured some of the show for me, but it had Zemo and introduced Isaiah Bradley, as well as the Dora Milaje, so credit where credit is due). I'm looking forward to everything else in the pipeline for Disney+ though, especially Hawkeye, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk.

If I had to think where I'd put Far From Home, it would probably be mid A-Tier for me, perhaps just under Homecoming or AOU. Guess we'll see!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:04:41 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #396 on: July 19, 2021, 08:44:49 PM »
Ok, here goes...

Infinity War
Avengers
Endgame
Spiderman- Homecoming
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America- Winter Soldier
Avengers- Age of Ultron
Iron Man
Captain America- Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Ant Man
Iron Man 2
Thor
Black Panther
Thor- Ragnorok
Spiderman- Far from Home
Dr. Strange
Incredible Hulk
Black Widow
Captain America- First Avenger
Captain Marvel
Ant Man and the Wasp
Iron Man 3
Thor 2- Dark World

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #397 on: July 20, 2021, 05:29:39 AM »
Infinity War is my number one - but in a way it has an unfair advantage, it doesn't have to end with a victory.  Sitting in the cinema watching this for the first time, when the dusting happened.....I mean that was just something else.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: July 20, 2021, 06:34:25 AM »
Ok, here goes...

Infinity War
Endgame
Avengers
Captain America- Civil War
Captain America- Winter Soldier
Spiderman- Homecoming
Iron Man
Avengers- Age of Ultron
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor- Ragnorok
Black Panther
Thor
Dr. Strange
Black Widow
Spiderman- Far from Home
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 3
Ant Man
Captain America- First Avenger
Captain Marvel
Ant Man and the Wasp
Iron Man 2
Thor 2- Dark World

Close enough for jazz.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #399 on: July 20, 2021, 07:04:03 PM »
So it seems Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye will be on Disney + in 2021. This might be a bit much. 4 movies and (counting in head) 6 shows in one year?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #400 on: July 20, 2021, 07:11:55 PM »
Sorry Adami.  My body is ready. Their was a gap because of the pandemic. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #401 on: July 20, 2021, 07:26:04 PM »
So it seems Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye will be on Disney + in 2021. This might be a bit much. 4 movies and (counting in head) 6 shows in one year?

Well, given that half of what we're getting this year was supposed to happen last year, I don't mind, and it doesn't bother me. Sure, it creates a bit of a saturation if you're into all of it, and it kind of creates an expectation of having new MCU content nearly every month, but I think they're really going all in with it now considering how many more movies and TV shows are coming in the next few years.

And if you really think about it, from Black Widow (July 2021) to Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (July 2022), we are getting SEVEN MCU films within a single year, which is a record. It used to be five, between GOTG Vol. 2 and Infinity War (or Homecoming and Ant-Man And The Wasp).

So with four films in 2021, four in 2022, and five in 2023, it doesn't seem like the film side of Marvel Studios will be slowing down. And as far as Disney+ shows go, we've got at least 3 shows next year (Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Secret Invasion) and the GOTG Holiday Special, and beyond all of that, sequels to Loki and What If...?, a spin-off from Hawkeye featuring Echo, as well as Ironheart, Armor Wars (feat. War Machine), and an untitled Wakanda series, and I'm willing to bet all of that will be out by the end of 2023 or early 2024.

Phase four is PACKED. I don't think we'll get to the point of hero-fatigue, especially if these films and shows continue to be diverse in characters, genre, and filmmaking. This year alone, we've got a spy thriller, a martial arts action fantasy, a sprawling sci-fi adventure, and a bonkers multiversal crossover. Despite being all MCU films, they all feel largely unique from each other. And next year's films are all sequels, but they all seem highly anticipated, especially since they've been 3-6 years in the waiting!

You could probably say the same for the Disney+ shows, though I'd say WandaVision and Loki are probably about as similar to each other as TFATWS and Hawkeye might be, with Ms. Marvel being an outlier. And the ones coming later are sounding like they'll be quite different from each other as well. With She-Hulk reportedly being more comedic in nature.

Sorry Adami.  My body is ready. Their was a gap because of the pandemic. 

I am totally ready as well. The two-year gap between films was unbearable, and I'm glad we got WandaVision and TFATWS before Black Widow to help tide us over between the MCU returned to theaters, but that was the longest gap between MCU films since The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 were released. Needless to say, I was starved for a new MCU film, and I'm glad we're getting the glutton's share in the coming years!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 08:47:38 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #402 on: July 21, 2021, 05:58:27 AM »
Keep 'em coming.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #403 on: July 21, 2021, 08:42:54 AM »
Bring it on
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #404 on: July 21, 2021, 08:47:01 AM »
Bring it on

And I get that. I'm a huge Marvel fan, obviously. I just wouldn't want it to become cheap. When something is SO abundant, it often becomes less special. It just becomes another thing, which I'd hate. I wouldn't want the MCU to become the next CSI or NCIS franchise. There's always a few of those around and for the most part no one cares.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #405 on: July 21, 2021, 08:53:30 AM »
Bring it on

And I get that. I'm a huge Marvel fan, obviously. I just wouldn't want it to become cheap. When something is SO abundant, it often becomes less special. It just becomes another thing, which I'd hate. I wouldn't want the MCU to become the next CSI or NCIS franchise. There's always a few of those around and for the most part no one cares.

Well, how different are those procedural shows from each other? Seems like the strengths of those shows might be characters that you get to know as they solve each case, but that could get repetitive and predictable.

Each Disney+ show will be featuring different, and eventually all-new characters to the MCU,  with different stories and developments. I think seeing new characters and stories will keep these shows fresh. We've never gotten live action versions of Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, or Iron Heart, so there are a lot of fresh ideas coming down the pipeline.

I think it does the MCU a disservice if someone just lumps all these shows and films under the broad umbrella of "comic book" media when they can all be quite different from each other.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:49:11 AM by The Letter M »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #406 on: July 21, 2021, 09:09:05 AM »
Bring it on

Well, how different are those procedural shows from each other? Seems like the strengths of those shows might be characters that you get to know as they solve each case, but that could get repetitive and predictable.

Each Disney+ show will be featuring different, and eventually all-new characters to the MCU,  with different stories and developments. I think seeing new characters and stories will keep these shows fresh. We've never gotten live action versions of Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, or Iron Heart, so there is a lot of fresh ideas coming down the pipeline.

I think it does the MCU a disservice if someone just lumps all these shows and films under the broad umbrella of "comic book" media when they can all be quite different from each other.

-Marc.

If the MCU could create a Gil Grissom or a Leroy Jethro Gibbs, I would be impressed.  :).   

(I'm kidding; in a way, that's Tony Stark, but only tangentially.)

Offline Adami

« Reply #407 on: July 21, 2021, 09:42:49 AM »
Bring it on

Each Disney+ show will be featuring different, and eventually all-new characters to the MCU,  with different stories and developments. I think seeing new characters and stories will keep these shows fresh. We've never gotten live action versions of Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, or Iron Heart, so there is a lot of fresh ideas coming down the pipeline.

-Marc.

I hope so. I know I'm on board with it all. I'd just hate it to see it fade from societal awareness due to oversaturation.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #408 on: July 21, 2021, 09:49:58 AM »
I’m going to beat this drum again….

So far, they have stuck to comic book style of storytelling in their overarching universe. The comic books remained popular over the years because there were different writers telling different stories about different characters, but ultimately tying into the framework of a singular universe. There’s enough diversity in that approach that has allowed comic books to remain relevant for decades. MCU could have the same success with the same diversified approach.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #409 on: July 21, 2021, 09:57:29 AM »
I’m going to beat this drum again….

So far, they have stuck to comic book style of storytelling in their overarching universe. The comic books remained popular over the years because there were different writers telling different stories about different characters, but ultimately tying into the framework of a singular universe. There’s enough diversity in that approach that has allowed comic books to remain relevant for decades. MCU could have the same success with the same diversified approach.

Well yes and no. First, movies are a different medium and beast all together. It costs hundreds of millions of dollars to make each one of these movies (or so). It takes (I'm guessing) less than that to make a comic book. So if a comic doesn't sell, no one cares much. Also they can produce a new issue of a title every week. It's a different way of telling a story. Each movie is not like an issue. Each movie is like a big story that is the culmination of many issues in a sense.

Also the comic industry has survived......barely....but each title has not. When X-Men or Avengers or whatever gets oversaturated, sales decline and they retool it. They either stop producing them for a while or they reboot in a sense. Can't really do that with the movies.

So as much as I hope and believe the MCU will continue for a good long while, it's not fair to say that it'll work because it worked with comics.

I feel like this is making me look anti-MCU when I am clearly not. I just worry since I DO want this stuff around for a long time. Over saturation can kill anything, even the really good stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #410 on: July 21, 2021, 10:06:46 AM »
If it’s not a matter of just copying comic books. I specifically use the term “comic book style of storytelling“ for a very specific purpose. I wish I could quantify it a little bit better. Combination of content and structure and style and approach. No comic book movie has ever done this until the MCU did.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #411 on: July 21, 2021, 10:08:53 AM »
If it’s not a matter of just copying comic books. I specifically use the term “comic book style of storytelling“ for a very specific purpose. I wish I could quantify it a little bit better. Combination of content and structure and style and approach. No comic book movie has ever done this until the MCU did.

I agree. Like I said, there CAN be too much of a good thing. Over-saturation does hurt good products. MCU is a fantastic thing. Hopefully they continue to be awesome. I just worry that so much of it will hurt them. Hope I'm wrong.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #412 on: July 21, 2021, 10:22:58 AM »
I understand what Adami is saying. The MCU kept getting bigger and bigger up until culminating phase 3 with Infinity world and Endgame. At the same time, there were a lot of people (some that I knew personally) who did not bother watching anything on phase 3 because "it was too many movies to keep track of". Others were just done with the super hero stories (even if each character was different).

With the way the MCU opened up so many possibilities now, and with so many shows and movies to keep track of, I can see a good amount of people being turned off by it. That, on top of the fact that I'm sure many fans dropped out after phase 3 and won't follow the upcoming movies and shows.

I think Marvel will need to come up with a Thanos like villain/event to bring back a lot of the hype and crowd that was lost after endgame.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #413 on: July 21, 2021, 11:15:39 AM »

I agree. Like I said, there CAN be too much of a good thing. Over-saturation does hurt good products. MCU is a fantastic thing. Hopefully they continue to be awesome. I just worry that so much of it will hurt them. Hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully MCU won't produce anything as shite as Enterprise and kill the franchise stone dead for a decade  ;D  :xbones  :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #414 on: July 21, 2021, 12:17:41 PM »
"Too much of a good thing" only exists in imaginative wordplay.  I've never really seen it in real life.

If something fails because there is too much of it and it is seen as "oversaturated", it's because it stopped being good, at least to its former level.  It becomes too much of an "OK" thing, or too much of a thing that won't be an issue if I miss it.  That's not too much of a good thing.  There's no such thing as too much of a good thing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #415 on: July 21, 2021, 01:59:42 PM »
"Too much of a good thing" only exists in imaginative wordplay.  I've never really seen it in real life.

If something fails because there is too much of it and it is seen as "oversaturated", it's because it stopped being good, at least to its former level.  It becomes too much of an "OK" thing, or too much of a thing that won't be an issue if I miss it.  That's not too much of a good thing.  There's no such thing as too much of a good thing.

I agree with this very much - isn't that what happened to the Spaghetti Western? I've seen a lot of critics point to that genre of film from the 50s and 60s and say that the superhero genre of films would eventually come to an end much like the Spaghetti Western, though I've not read much about those films to know to what extent their demise in Hollywood and the film industry was attributed to oversaturation, or if it was because the genre had been played out to its natural end.

I do agree that there is enough storytelling diversity in comic book films that it might not end the same way. If the MCU's die-hard fans begin to feel exhausted with the sheer amount of media being released, then I would begin to worry, but it feels like we are reaching a Golden Age of the MCU now, and it doesn't seem like any fans are jumping ship any faster than they have been in recent years. I'd argue that Disney+ probably brought some of those folks back, especially if they already had the streaming service for other things. And now that these series are being prepped by the films, and vice versa, there's an incentive to keep up with everything and staying informed by all the stories from both fronts.

-Marc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: July 21, 2021, 02:11:59 PM »
I don't fear over-saturation.  I mean, given the variety of styles we've seen (in story-telling, genres, character development, cinematography), and the virtual limitless swath of characters / teams to draw from, to me it's like being worried that sci-fi movies will go out of style due to saturation.

That's just me.  Deplorable me.

Offline Adami

« Reply #417 on: July 21, 2021, 02:19:54 PM »

This only applies to you. No such thing as too much Hef.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #418 on: July 21, 2021, 03:03:58 PM »

This only applies to you. No such thing as too much Hef.
I love you too, pal.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #419 on: July 22, 2021, 07:07:00 AM »
You two get an alternate universe will ya?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC