Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 71518 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #1365 on: February 15, 2024, 09:20:32 AM »
Yeah, I like that they kept the same looks, just cleaned them up a bit.

I haven't seen the original in probably 20 years, I'm sure it would feel outdated if I tried watching it now. X-Men Evolution was another great series too if you have time to catch an episode every so often.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1366 on: February 15, 2024, 09:43:01 AM »
I should watch it eating a bowl of cereal like I did back in the day after coming home from school.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1367 on: February 15, 2024, 09:45:59 AM »
I should watch it eating a bowl of cereal like I did back in the day after coming home from school.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: February 15, 2024, 09:58:27 AM »
Yeah, I like that they kept the same looks, just cleaned them up a bit.

I haven't seen the original in probably 20 years, I'm sure it would feel outdated if I tried watching it now. X-Men Evolution was another great series too if you have time to catch an episode every so often.

I rewatched the series a year or two ago, and still really enjoyed. it. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1369 on: February 15, 2024, 08:18:19 PM »
I didn’t think I’d have such a terrible time trying to get The Marvels on 4K BluRay. My local Fred Meyer “changed vendors and only carries Sony movies now”. Seriously?

I did a search on Amazon and it only showed me the Amazon Prime streaming. Seriously? I can’t even order it on Amazon???

I finally found out that my local Walmart has them in stock, so I’ll pick it up tomorrow on the way home from work. I hate going to Walmart.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1370 on: February 15, 2024, 08:49:00 PM »
I didn’t think I’d have such a terrible time trying to get The Marvels on 4K BluRay. My local Fred Meyer “changed vendors and only carries Sony movies now”. Seriously?

I did a search on Amazon and it only showed me the Amazon Prime streaming. Seriously? I can’t even order it on Amazon???

I finally found out that my local Walmart has them in stock, so I’ll pick it up tomorrow on the way home from work. I hate going to Walmart.

Walmart's page for the steelbook BD set kept going in and out of stock up to release date but thankfully I managed to get one ordered and it arrived yesterday. I'm also sad that it seems like Target won't do anymore Disney/MCU exclusives anymore. The last five MCU films I got on BD were the Walmart exclusives, which all came with cool little pins up until The Marvels, which was a steelbook because I think they got the license to do them now that BestBuy is out of the physical media business.

-Marc
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1371 on: February 15, 2024, 08:55:10 PM »

Yea. Not finding it on Amazon either. Very very odd. I don’t really have a lot of places I can go around here. Maybe Best Buy?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1372 on: February 15, 2024, 09:02:53 PM »

Yea. Not finding it on Amazon either. Very very odd. I don’t really have a lot of places I can go around here. Maybe Best Buy?

As I mentioned above, starting this year (over a month ago), Best Buy stopped carrying physical media, including CDs and BDs (not sure about video games).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Adami

« Reply #1374 on: February 16, 2024, 06:23:44 AM »
Thanks! Dunno why I couldn’t find it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1375 on: February 16, 2024, 07:06:52 AM »
I see the BD on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/The-Marvels-Blu-ray/dp/B0CRRTQBGV?tag=bluray-022-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

edit:

4K version https://www.amazon.com/The-Marvels-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B0CRRY198M?tag=bluray-022-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

That is so weird. I literally typed in “The Marvels 4K BluRay” and nothing came up but the streaming version of The Marvels and the BluRay of every other MCU film except The Marvels. But I thank you for finding it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1376 on: February 18, 2024, 02:22:24 PM »
I just watched The Marvel's.  I absolutely loved it. The extra scene, 🔥
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1377 on: February 18, 2024, 02:29:03 PM »
I watched it last last week. Very middle of the road MCU movie. I liked the chemistry between the 3 leads, but couldn't care less about the villain and whatever her deal was.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1378 on: February 18, 2024, 03:02:21 PM »
I'm planning on re-watching it again tomorrow since I have the day off.

While it is not without its flaws, the movie is way better than reviews made it out to be. But yeah, the villain could've been much better.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1379 on: February 18, 2024, 04:59:13 PM »
The villain was no worse than any other Marvel villain not named Thanos.

At least the decent motivation was there. I thought the angle of Carol thinking she was liberating the Kree and ending up doing more harm than good was a good one. It stays in line with the Marvel mantra of their superhero’s being more fallible.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1380 on: February 19, 2024, 01:24:47 PM »
We are now ten films into the Multiverse Saga, even though only less than half of them really relate to the Multiverse (then again, less than half of the first 23 films in the Infinity Saga related to the Infinity Stones). I figured we could do what DTF does best and rank the ten films released since July 2021's Black Widow.

Spider-Man: No Way Home
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3
Shang-Chi ATLOTTR
Doctor Strange In The M.O.M.
Black Widow
The Marvels
Eternals
Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Thor: Love And Thunder

It's funny how there's so many sequels in this bunch, and really only two brand new franchises/characters in Shang-Chi and Eternals, and I'm really only clamoring for a Shang-Chi sequel (though if written well, an Eternals sequel could be good). Both Spider-Man GOTG show just how good a third film could be, while Quantumania shows how BAD a third film could be. Second films from Phase 3 starters Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel are all over the place as far as quality, with BP doing the best of those three despite not featuring T'Challa. Black Widow is easily the most middle-of-the-road of all of these, saved by Yelena Belova. And while I liked small parts of it, Love And Thunder remains my least favorite of these and probably will remain at the bottom of the Multiverse Saga unless they really butcher something like Thunderbolts or Blade.

I think the studio knows now that their films going forth all have to be bangers to save face from the past couple of years of variable quality. They're definitely going to put their best foot forward for their next few films, especially Deadpool & Wolverine, Thunderbolts, Captain America 4, and The Fantastic Four. I'm not so sure about Blade, given it's tumultuous pre-production struggles, but we can hope it'll be good. If it's a launching point for Marvel Knights or Midnight Sons/Suns, and brings together characters like Moon Knight, Black Knight, and Ghost Rider, I'm sure it'll do well.

-Marc.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1381 on: February 20, 2024, 07:02:36 AM »
Spider-Man: No Way Home.   My third favorite MCU film.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3.   Fantastic film, maybe the best Guardians film.
Doctor Strange In The M.O.M.   I seem to be the only person who loves this.
Shang-Chi ATLOTTR.   Good solid origin story.
The Marvels.   A tad lightweight but good fun.
Black Widow.   Solid introduction to a couple of characters, letdown by a terrible villain.
Thor: Love And Thunder.   Don't dislike this as much as some do.
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.    Pretty boring.
Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania.    A mess.
Eternals.    Worst MCU film.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1382 on: February 20, 2024, 08:02:29 AM »
We ranking, let's do this:

Spider-Man - No Way Home
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Shang-Chi
Black Panther - Wakanda Forever
The Marvels
Eternals
Doctor Strange - M.O.M.
Black Widow
Ant-Man and the Wasp - Quantumania
Thor - Love and Thunder

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1383 on: February 20, 2024, 08:16:26 AM »
Guardians 3
Shang-Chi
Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Mildness
The Marvels
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Eternals
Thor: Love and Thunder
Black Widow

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1384 on: February 20, 2024, 09:20:45 AM »
Even among just four ranking lists so far, it's pretty clear that No Way Home, GOTG Vol. 3, and Shang-Chi are clear stand-outs of Phases 4 and 5 so far, with DSITMOM and Wakanda Forever not too far behind on average, all five of which are my top five of these ten films, and I suspect that they're most fans' top five of the last ten MCU films.

-Marc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1385 on: February 20, 2024, 09:50:02 AM »
I don't like rankings as much as others here at DTF, but I will say that Doc Strange 2 is probably 2nd from the bottom, right above Thor 4.

It was just a huge miss for me. It wasn't the head scratcher that Thor was, but it was just poor decisions and wasted potential from beginning to end with a few good moments sprinkled in, none of which were sadly involving all of those cameos.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1386 on: February 20, 2024, 09:50:38 AM »
Shang-Chi ATLOTTR
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3
Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Doctor Strange In The M.O.M.
Eternals
Black Widow
The Marvels (haven't seen this one yet)

Thor: Love And Thunder
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1387 on: February 20, 2024, 09:53:16 AM »
Guardians of the Galaxy 3
Everything else

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1388 on: February 20, 2024, 11:04:38 PM »
The problem with ALL of these films is that even the ones I generally like, I find myself saying, "It's pretty good, BUT..."  That rarely happened with phases 1-3.  So there aren't any truly great movies since phase 3 ended.

"It's Pretty Good, But..." Tier
1.  Spider Man:  No Way Home:  Could have been really good, but the premise of Dr. Strange doing what he did was just so stupid that it's hard to overlook throughout the film. But the rest of it actually is really good, so it probably takes the top spot (or is close).
2.  Black Widow:  The film nobody needed, but was actually done pretty well.  The only thing that dragged it down a bit was the treatment of taskmaster.
3.  Shang-Chi ATLOTTR:  Another one that could have been #1 if not for some flaws.  It was great up until the third act when they abandoned the family dynamic too much and put the emphasis on the big CGI battle that didn't feel like it really had any consequences.  I'm fine with a big CGI battle, but it should have served the family dynamic story rather than usurping it.

"Could Have Been in the Top 3, BUT..." Tier
4.  Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3:  Definitely outside my top 3, but a strong effort.  As I said when it came out, Gunn obviously had a strong story.  But he took so many opportunities to throw as much over-the-top goofiness/weirdness into this one that it was distracting at times.
5.  Black Panther: Wakanda Forever:  Could have been better.  The grief that Shuri and her mother are going through was beautifully handled, and Namor was treated really well.  But there were problems of scale and stakes, and some things were crammed in that distracted from just telling a good story.
6.  Doctor Strange In The M.O.M.:  I really want to rank this one higher.  But while the seeds of Wanda's turn were there, that crucial story element was not developed enough, and we didn't spend enough time on the Darkhold to make such an extreme turn believable.  Such a shame.  This could have been #1 and could have been up there with phase 1-3 material easily.
7.  Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania:  Good movie, but, like Guardians, was just too weird for its own good sometimes, and the overall story suffered for it.  But I don't have any problem with most of the stuff that most people have problems with.
8.  The Marvels:  This was fun from start to finish and SO much better than Captain Marvel.  It shouldn't be ranked this low.  But it is just because there is a sloppiness to it where lots of little things seem to break the rules of this film or other Marvel films when it is convenient to the plot.

"Don't Care / Nothing Can Save These" Tier
9.  Deadpool 3:  Obviously haven't seen it, but just going off the first two.  But it can't be worse than the bottom two, can it?
10.  Thor: Love And Thunder:  So disappointing.  The seeds of a REALLY good story are here, but it was completely botched on so many levels.
11.  Eternals:  I'm trying to think of something redeeming, but can't think of anything.  Pure trash on every level.  Well, actually, Kingo was genuinely funny, and him creating a multigenerational Bollywood identity was something I found very entertaining. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."