Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69731 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #1260 on: March 31, 2023, 06:47:40 AM »
And he is literally the lynchpin of their storytelling for the next 3 years.  Sticking with him could be death, but getting rid of him would be enormously difficult.

For once, I'm glad I'm not wearing Kevin Feige's hat.

Honesty question:  How many actual ticket buyers - I don't mean Twitter whores, I mean actual MCU fans - are going to say "Hmmm, I'm invested in this Marvel storyline, for which I've watched 37 movies so far.  But the new one has this guy that they say walloped his girlfriend (or whatever); yeah, think I'm going to sit this one out."?
I have no idea.  And since I'm not bankrolling the franchise, it's not a question with which I have to wrestle.

But I suspect that it would be enough to lessen box office takes for at least some of those films, which isn't good in a time where they are already showing lower takes than they are accustomed to.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1261 on: March 31, 2023, 06:56:35 AM »
If this is a one time incident and Majors is never again associated with potential domestic abuse, I think we'll all forget about it in a few months. If I were his manager I get him in counselling, coaching, whatever is needed to ensure this never happens again.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1262 on: March 31, 2023, 12:13:08 PM »
Problem is that history shows it’s never the first time (the one that becomes public).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1263 on: March 31, 2023, 12:24:22 PM »
Certainly not the best collage of images for this news, but, OK.

Looks like they cast the perfect villain. He somehow makes Thanos likeable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1264 on: April 05, 2023, 02:29:52 PM »
And he is literally the lynchpin of their storytelling for the next 3 years.  Sticking with him could be death, but getting rid of him would be enormously difficult.

Well, since you broke the last hat you were entrusted with, I think we're all glad.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1265 on: April 06, 2023, 06:52:25 AM »

Well, since you broke the last hat you were entrusted with, I think we're all glad.
Good point.  Dammit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1266 on: April 06, 2023, 08:50:12 AM »
 :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1267 on: April 07, 2023, 07:47:38 AM »
DC and MCU crossover?

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/marvel-dc-universe-crossover-discussed-james-gunn-1235576102/

I had a thought about this when watching Shazam, given than both universes have made references to each other. I know it has happened in the comics (Though I don't think it has happened on tv), so would be fun to watch it on the big screen. If they do decide to have a crossover, I know it won't be until at least 4-5 years from now, given that Phase 5 and 6 of the MCU are set, and DC is restarting the whole thing.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1268 on: April 07, 2023, 07:48:09 AM »
Hmmm, pass.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1269 on: April 07, 2023, 08:26:55 AM »
DC and MCU crossover?

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/marvel-dc-universe-crossover-discussed-james-gunn-1235576102/

I had a thought about this when watching Shazam, given than both universes have made references to each other. I know it has happened in the comics (Though I don't think it has happened on tv), so would be fun to watch it on the big screen. If they do decide to have a crossover, I know it won't be until at least 4-5 years from now, given that Phase 5 and 6 of the MCU are set, and DC is restarting the whole thing.
Terrible idea.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1270 on: April 07, 2023, 05:33:57 PM »
Agreed, Feige doesn’t need to go slumming like that.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1271 on: April 08, 2023, 06:02:42 PM »
Been doing a re-watch of the D+ shows, and I just have to say, TFatWS aged really, really well. Such a well written and produced show, without really going stupid like a good deal of MCU stuff does.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1273 on: May 06, 2023, 03:54:34 PM »
I saw Thor: Love and Thunder. Liked it beyond my expectations!

I saw it described as a movie too corny and way to much on the humour side, but I thought the humour was just fine? I expected something completely wacky, sure the funny and cheesy moments were there but not in a way that dumbed down the movie, or made it too light-hearted to take seriously, it was just another fun Marvel movie and it was a good experience.

Frankly, the worst offense of the movie was splattering Guns n' Roses all over the place and using Dio (Rainbow in the Dark) only in the credits.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1274 on: May 07, 2023, 05:33:44 AM »

I saw it described as a movie too corny and way to much on the humour side, but I thought the humour was just fine? I expected something completely wacky, sure the funny and cheesy moments were there but not in a way that dumbed down the movie, or made it too light-hearted to take seriously, it was just another fun Marvel movie and it was a good experience.

Frankly, the worst offense of the movie was splattering Guns n' Roses all over the place and using Dio (Rainbow in the Dark) only in the credits.

You must've watched a different movie than most of us.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1275 on: May 07, 2023, 04:50:55 PM »

I thought it was better than the two movies that followed it Black Panther 2 and Ant-Man 3.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1276 on: May 07, 2023, 04:54:46 PM »
Thor 4 just felt like Taika telling Marvel to F themselves through the medium of movie. I love the guy but he just didn’t seem to care at all based on the result.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1277 on: May 07, 2023, 05:10:21 PM »
Yeah, it really didn't do much for me. The only MCU film I haven't re-watched.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1278 on: May 07, 2023, 05:12:06 PM »
LAT is the worst MCU movie. It made Dark World look like Hamlet.

That being said, I still had fun with it. But I most agree with Adami’s statement that it felt like a bit of a raspberry with a middle finger thrown in for good measure.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #1279 on: May 07, 2023, 05:16:05 PM »
I'm sure one I'll rewatch it, and it's pretty close with MoM for my most disliked MCU movie, but the more I think about LaT, the more I dislike it.

Maybe this was Taika's version of quiet quitting. Even Chris Hemsworth (before the whole diagnosis thing) said that future Thor movies should be reinvented and go in a different direction. I'm just shocked that some of these scripts are getting Kevin's thumbs up. Or maybe the initial scripts aren't bad and the movie gets lost in production/editing/post or whatever. Who knows?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1280 on: May 08, 2023, 06:48:58 AM »
I read a comment recently that in a way gave L&T new meaning.

The comment mentioned how the entire movie it's been told from Korg's view (The movie starts and ends with him narrating, so it is assume the rest is also a narration except for the first scene with Gorr), which is why is so goofy. Some of the scenes Korg wasn't even present for, and he might be exaggerating the details based on what he knows.

The comment comes off as an excuse for how poorly executed the movie was, but at the same time it does makes sense in its own way. With that said, I liked the movie a bit more the second time I saw it, but it is still bottom of the barrel for me.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1281 on: May 08, 2023, 08:42:08 AM »
Everything wrong with Love and Thunder is pretty much worst on with Ant-Man 3.  And The Eternals is obviously the worst Marvel movie!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1282 on: May 08, 2023, 08:53:39 AM »

The comment mentioned how the entire movie it's been told from Korg's view (The movie starts and ends with him narrating, so it is assume the rest is also a narration except for the first scene with Gorr), which is why is so goofy. Some of the scenes Korg wasn't even present for, and he might be exaggerating the details based on what he knows.

The comment comes off as an excuse for how poorly executed the movie was, but at the same time it does makes sense in its own way. With that said, I liked the movie a bit more the second time I saw it, but it is still bottom of the barrel for me.

That's a good theory, but the movie was still mostly unfunny. Mostly.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1283 on: May 08, 2023, 09:23:40 AM »

I read something like that way back when the movie first came out, and I thought it made a lot of sense.  The scenes with Zeus, for example, were ridiculous and so over-the-top that they had to be parody.  They were supposed to be!  In that context, I thought they were hilarious.  There were other scenes that were similarly incredible, and again, if you presume they're meant to be that way, they work.

Now... how all that is supposed to work with the very serious story of Gorr and the Godslayer, I don't know.  That didn't work.

Same with Jane becoming the new Thor.  I get that that's a storyline from the comics, but as one of the carefully selected stories they've chosen to tell within MCU, I had trouble with it.  On the other hand, it was very sad that she was dying from cancer and this gave her character a much more positive arc.

The movie was still a mess, but it wasn't completely devoid of entertainment value like some are saying.  There's always a certain amount of "switch off your brain and just get into it" involved with MCU; this one just took a bit more.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1284 on: May 08, 2023, 09:34:31 AM »
Maybe this was Taika's version of quiet quitting. Even Chris Hemsworth (before the whole diagnosis thing) said that future Thor movies should be reinvented and go in a different direction. I'm just shocked that some of these scripts are getting Kevin's thumbs up. Or maybe the initial scripts aren't bad and the movie gets lost in production/editing/post or whatever. Who knows?

There was a ton of stuff that was filmed, but didn't make it into the movie, including entire characters/arcs.  So I think it came down to the editing. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1285 on: May 18, 2023, 07:19:34 PM »
Everything wrong with Love and Thunder is pretty much worst on with Ant-Man 3.  And The Eternals is obviously the worst Marvel movie!

Yes, just saw Quantumania tonight. Groaned out loud at a lot of the dialogue. Visually stunning of course; I guess that’s what’s most important to them. That gal in my avatar could bring back some much needed gravitas to the MCU.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1286 on: May 18, 2023, 07:21:04 PM »

Yes, just saw Quantumania tonight. Groaned out loud at a lot of the dialogue. Visually stunning of course; I guess that’s what’s most important to them.

I would not call it visually stunning. I’d call it visually busy. It’s hard to appreciate anything when there’s 6000 things happening all the time on screen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1287 on: May 19, 2023, 04:16:38 PM »

Yes, just saw Quantumania tonight. Groaned out loud at a lot of the dialogue. Visually stunning of course; I guess that’s what’s most important to them.

I would not call it visually stunning. I’d call it visually busy. It’s hard to appreciate anything when there’s 6000 things happening all the time on screen.

Yeah agreed, reminded me of the Star Wars Prequels.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1288 on: May 19, 2023, 06:44:58 PM »
Was I dreaming or did the protagonist’s daughter actually tell a bad guy “don’t be a dick” and he became a good guy? All the proof I need Feige doesn’t give a shit anymore.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1289 on: May 21, 2023, 05:41:36 PM »
Has a decision been made in Jonathan Majors yet? Seems like a recast for Loki season 2 and having some version of Kang be Majors and other versions be another actor might be a good way to make the switch, if they indeed go that direction.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1290 on: May 21, 2023, 07:26:15 PM »
Marvel’s been burying the story and hoping it goes away.

And even though people raised an eyebrow when his girlfriend defended him, I think they will ultimately be successful at ignoring it as long as there are zero more outbursts.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1291 on: May 21, 2023, 07:58:27 PM »

And even though people raised an eyebrow when his girlfriend defended him, I think they will ultimately be successful at ignoring it as long as there are zero more outbursts.

Yeah, I'd say they're definitely in the grey area now with their fingers crossed nothing else happens

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1292 on: May 21, 2023, 08:02:31 PM »

Yeah, I'd say they're definitely in the grey area now with their fingers crossed nothing else happens

And I’m absolutely positive that Marvel had a private meeting with him, insisting that he take anger management classes, and probably also drew a line in the sand saying that he needs to be Tom Hanks levels of squeaky clean or he’s gone.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1293 on: May 21, 2023, 08:07:40 PM »
Oh absolutely, probably re-wrote his contract a bit too I'd imagine

Offline Adami

« Reply #1294 on: May 21, 2023, 08:36:06 PM »
It's not too surprising.

DC seems to be sticking with Ezra for the moment at least.
fanticide.bandcamp.com