Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 70959 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #1085 on: November 25, 2022, 10:31:19 PM »
one piece of info that'll probably come into play later.

So since it's Marvel, you're saying that whatever happens in this special is canon, right?  'Cause everything is.  The movies, the shorts, the TV shows, the animated stuff, why not the Christmas special?

Not sure how much of it they want to draw out, but as I said, they do drop one bit of info that'll probably come into play in GoTG III.... Tiny text incoming if you don't want to watch the damn thing... (Mantis is actually the half sibling of Peter Quill, Ego was her father as well )

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1086 on: November 26, 2022, 07:30:40 AM »
It's not worth watching just for that little tidbit of new information.

It's worth watching because it's delightful as hell. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't groundbreaking or anything, but it was exactly what it set out to be. A fun, heart warming, silly, holiday special. And it succeeded perfectly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1087 on: November 26, 2022, 08:13:12 AM »
I did say in my initial post it was a good deal of fun.

Online Adami

« Reply #1088 on: November 26, 2022, 08:14:18 AM »
I did say in my initial post it was a good deal of fun.

Oh for sure, that was more for people who are hoping to watch it for the sole purpose of seeing how it connects to Kang or something. It's just a fun watch on its own.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1089 on: November 26, 2022, 03:41:22 PM »
Yeah, I was going to watch it anyway.  I guess it was really just a comment on how everything in the MCU is canon.  I do appreciate how they're very careful to make sure things stand on their own, yet reward those who do catch everything can put it all together.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1090 on: November 27, 2022, 05:33:30 AM »
Saw the Christmas special last night and I thought it was fun, liked it a lot.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1091 on: November 27, 2022, 10:32:47 AM »
It was cheesy and stupid, and relied WAY too heavily on '70s/'80s holiday special tropes.  And that is why I loved it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1092 on: November 27, 2022, 08:50:59 PM »
We watched it tonight.  I laughed much.  Very entertaining.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1093 on: December 02, 2022, 09:16:57 AM »
Finally had time to watch the GOTG Holiday Special last night.

Very entertaining.  I can't believe Kevin Bacon agreed to do that lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #1094 on: December 02, 2022, 09:21:57 AM »

Apparently he signed on to do it without even knowing his role. They just asked (years ago) if he wanted to be in a Guardian's special and he said yes. Seems like a cool dude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1095 on: December 02, 2022, 11:40:29 AM »

Apparently he signed on to do it without even knowing his role. They just asked (years ago) if he wanted to be in a Guardian's special and he said yes. Seems like a cool dude.
I read that Gunn had a backup actor in case Bacon backed out.  That would have been interesting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: December 02, 2022, 01:40:42 PM »

I read that Gunn had a backup actor in case Bacon backed out.  That would have been interesting.

Sean Gunn?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1097 on: December 09, 2022, 07:07:33 PM »
Lizzie with 2 Peoples’ Choice awards? Yes please.

Online Adami

« Reply #1098 on: December 22, 2022, 08:44:28 AM »
So I've been reading a lot of rumors about The Sentry having a big role in Cap 4, Thunderbolts, and then his own movie.

Since that's one of my favorite Marvel characters of the last 20 years, I'm a bit nervous. He's very complicated but also WAY over powered for the MCU and I'm worried they will water him down to the point of being pretty boring. I dunno. I will remain hopeful but skeptical to see if they ever do anything with it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1099 on: December 22, 2022, 09:14:49 AM »
So I've been reading a lot of rumors about The Sentry having a big role in Cap 4, Thunderbolts, and then his own movie.

Since that's one of my favorite Marvel characters of the last 20 years, I'm a bit nervous. He's very complicated but also WAY over powered for the MCU and I'm worried they will water him down to the point of being pretty boring. I dunno. I will remain hopeful but skeptical to see if they ever do anything with it.

Could be interesting, and probably why I've seen a lot of folks fancasting Henry Cavill in the role (especially now that he's no longer employed by WBD/DC).

Admittedly, I don't know much about the character since I stopped really keeping up with comics nearly two decades ago, but it would be neat!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

« Reply #1100 on: December 22, 2022, 09:15:52 AM »

Could be interesting, and probably why I've seen a lot of folks fancasting Henry Cavill in the role (especially now that he's no longer employed by WBD/DC).

Admittedly, I don't know much about the character since I stopped really keeping up with comics nearly two decades ago, but it would be neat!

-Marc.

I don't think the actor you mentioned would work at all for this character, but I've definitely seen him fan cast as Hyperion, who is basically Marvel's Super Man, so a bit obvious and on the nose.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1101 on: December 22, 2022, 09:28:55 AM »

-Marc.

I don't think the actor you mentioned would work at all for this character, but I've definitely seen him fan cast as Hyperion, who is basically Marvel's Super Man, so a bit obvious and on the nose.

I've seen that too, which is even more obvious and on the nose as you said, but either way, it would be neat to see him in the MCU. Interesting rumors, though, which I've caught up on reading. It seem like NWO/Thunderbolts will be the big summer event of 2024, and I can't wait. I am way more excited for every film in Phase 5 than I was for Phase 4, which had me feeling curious and interested, but Phase 5 brings me back to Phase 2/3 levels of excitement, and it probably helps that we are getting four sequels (two closing out trilogies, a 2nd film and a 4th film in their respective series), a team-up movie (FINALLY), and the return of Blade to the big screen. All VERY exciting stuff.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1102 on: December 22, 2022, 04:26:25 PM »
Just watched the GOTG Holiday Special together with the fam. Great stuff. They really hit the tone just right.  :tup
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1103 on: December 22, 2022, 08:17:06 PM »
I don’t know much about who you mentioned Adami … only really his role in WW Hulk. And didnt he have a part in Annihilation as well?  From what I’ve seen of him, yeah … definitely over powered.

I would lov, love, LOVE an appearance sometime by Squadron Sinister/Supreme.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1104 on: December 23, 2022, 08:44:26 PM »
I was today years old when I realized that Yondu is the evil dad from Mallrats.

“Would you like a chocolate covered pretzel? They’re a little melty, but BOY are they good!”

:rollin :rollin :rollin
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 08:58:29 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1105 on: December 24, 2022, 01:05:40 AM »
I was today years old when I realized that Yondu is the evil dad from Mallrats.

“Would you like a chocolate covered pretzel? They’re a little melty, but BOY are they good!”

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Oh, yeah!  :lol

I love those actors that you see everywhere over the years but rarely know the name of. They're the unsung heroes of the film and tv industry.

He's been in a lot. I don't want to Google it but S1 of The Walking Dead is another one that springs to mind.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1106 on: December 24, 2022, 12:09:59 PM »
Oooh just saw Lizzie’s video announcing she would be at Comic-Con next year. Promoting her possible role in the Agatha series maybe?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1107 on: December 29, 2022, 02:37:15 PM »
Controversial but maybe not too controversial opinion:  Black Widow (the movie) didn't make me like Yelena very much.  Hawkeye very much DID make me like Yelena.  And rewatching Black Widow after seeing Hawkeye made me LOVE Yelena. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1108 on: December 29, 2022, 08:57:32 PM »
I'm with you on the first two parts.  I haven't watched Black Widow again since seeing Hawkeye, so I can't weigh in on part three.  But it makes sense to me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1109 on: December 30, 2022, 12:38:58 PM »
Controversial but maybe not too controversial opinion:  Black Widow (the movie) didn't make me like Yelena very much.  Hawkeye very much DID make me like Yelena.  And re-watching Black Widow after seeing Hawkeye made me LOVE Yelena.

I don't think it's controversial bosk1!  That was a 2 hour movie.  A storyline can flush out a character. Now if you're talking Captain America, sure, they can flush him out more in movies because A) he's the lead character, B) multiple movies to do so. If she was the main character, they would have had a more detailed background. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1110 on: December 30, 2022, 12:54:06 PM »
The moment Yelena dropped the line "I doubt the God from space needs an ibuprofen after a fight" I was head over heels in love with her.

Online Adami

« Reply #1111 on: December 30, 2022, 01:14:54 PM »
I walked away from Black Widow likely only a handful of things and Yelena was in there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1112 on: January 05, 2023, 10:37:20 AM »
So it turns out I know (through the internet) the guy who is writing the new Blade movie. Turns out he’s a big Milwaukee Bucks fan and he’s been a part of the Bucks forum on the RealGM website for years.

Crazy.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: January 18, 2023, 05:27:37 PM »
Phase 4 needed Phase 5 broadcast incoming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMWsaRknjuk

I am pumped

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1114 on: February 02, 2023, 12:06:15 PM »
Just heard during the Super Bowl we're supposed to get trailers for GOTG3 and The Marvels.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1115 on: February 02, 2023, 12:12:55 PM »
The Marvels are the big pull for me.  I kind of know the baseline for the new GOTG from the 1st 2 trailers. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1116 on: February 02, 2023, 12:23:09 PM »
Just heard during the Super Bowl we're supposed to get trailers for GOTG3 and The Marvels.

If they can somehow either manage to make Captain Marvel NOT insufferable, of if she takes a back set and the other characters take the spotlight, The Marvels could be decent.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1117 on: February 02, 2023, 01:56:01 PM »
Insufferable?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1118 on: February 02, 2023, 02:08:05 PM »

If they can somehow either manage to make Captain Marvel NOT insufferable, of if she takes a back set and the other characters take the spotlight, The Marvels could be decent.

Insufferable?

Yeah, I don't get it either. If folks had issues with Captain Marvel in her first film, they probably don't understand that that's how she was SUPPOSED to be. She was a brainwashed soldier who was brought up to be the way we see her in the beginning of the film. She had to learn about her real past and eventually change. Even her character in Endgame seemed to be much different than she was in her first solo film, so I expect her characterization to follow suit in The Marvels. especially interacting with Monica and Kamala.

-Marc.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1119 on: February 02, 2023, 04:04:38 PM »
I had not a single problem with Captain Marvel, personally.