Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 71231 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #1050 on: October 10, 2022, 09:12:45 PM »
Really enjoyed Werewolf By Night. I was though expecting it to be much more scary and horror like than it actually was. The female lead Laura Donnelly is just fantastic. I first came across her in the show The Nevers, where she was also excellent and by far the best thing about that show. Ted was also awesome.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: October 11, 2022, 10:02:48 AM »
Really enjoyed Werewolf By Night. I was though expecting it to be much more scary and horror like than it actually was. The female lead Laura Donnelly is just fantastic. I first came across her in the show The Nevers, where she was also excellent and by far the best thing about that show. Ted was also awesome.

I love Laura Donnelly.  She also has a recurring role on Outlander.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1052 on: October 11, 2022, 12:38:20 PM »
‘AVENGERS: SECRET WARS’ has been delayed to May 1, 2026.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1053 on: October 11, 2022, 01:23:04 PM »

Yea, looks like Blade, FF, and Deadpool are also delayed.

Seems like a good move. Given the changes in directors/writers for some of them, more time is good. Rather they take their time and get right than rush to appease the masses. Plus we get a new Avengers in 2025 either way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1054 on: October 11, 2022, 05:42:37 PM »
Got my Wakanda Forever tix for opening night. Very excited for this one.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1055 on: October 11, 2022, 05:43:11 PM »

YOU WOUND ME SIR!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1056 on: October 11, 2022, 05:44:56 PM »

YOU WOUND ME SIR!

Sorry boo  :-*

(I mean, I'd be talking about getting off at 2, driving at least an hour home, then almost an hour back, all through I680 Friday Afternoon traffic which makes a root canal look pleasant)

Offline Adami

« Reply #1057 on: October 11, 2022, 05:47:11 PM »

YOU WOUND ME SIR!

(I mean, I'd be talking about getting off at 2, driving at least an hour home, then almost an hour back, all through I680 Friday Afternoon traffic which makes a root canal look pleasant)

AND I'M NOT WORTH THAT?!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1058 on: October 11, 2022, 07:14:23 PM »

YOU WOUND ME SIR!

AND I'M NOT WORTH THAT?!?!

Aren't we hanging out the whole next day together?

And I'll be wearing a tie? A TIE!!!!!

Offline Adami

« Reply #1059 on: October 11, 2022, 07:19:54 PM »
A tie?

I mean.....yea.....you got a point.  :-*
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: October 11, 2022, 07:55:22 PM »

Seems like a good move. Given the changes in directors/writers for some of them, more time is good. Rather they take their time and get right than rush to appease the masses. Plus we get a new Avengers in 2025 either way.

New release date for MCU films

#Blade — Sept 6, 2024
#Deadpool3 — Nov 8, 2024
#FantasticFour — Feb 14, 2025
#AvengersSecretWars May 1, 2026

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1061 on: October 11, 2022, 08:17:56 PM »

I love Laura Donnelly.  She also has a recurring role on Outlander.

Never watched Outlander, I might have to start...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1062 on: October 11, 2022, 09:24:19 PM »

New release date for MCU films

#Blade — Sept 6, 2024
#Deadpool3 — Nov 8, 2024
#FantasticFour — Feb 14, 2025
#AvengersSecretWars May 1, 2026

And here's the complete film line-up for Phases 5 and 6:

Phase Five:
Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania - 2/17/23
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 - 5/5/23
The Marvels - 7/28/23
Unknown - 11/3/23 (formerly Blade's release date)
Unknown - 2/16/24 (was once on the schedule but never assigned a film)
Captain America: New World Order - 5/3/24
Thunderbolts - 7/26/24
Blade - 9/6/24 (formerly Deadpool 3's release date)

Phase Six:
Deadpool 3 - 11/8/24 (formerly Fantastic Four's release date)
Fantastic Four - 2/4/25
Avengers: The Kang Dynasty - 5/2/25
Unknown - 7/25/25
Unknown - 11/7/25 (formerly Secret Wars' release date)
Unknown - 2/13/26
Avengers: Secret Wars - 5/1/26

Future 2026 dates:
July 24th, 2026
November 6th, 2026

And of those Unknown film dates, they could slot in any of the following, which are all in some stage of development:
X-Men/Mutants Film (probably not until after Secret Wars)
Shang-Chi 2 (probably not until after Kang Dynasty, as Destin Daniel Cretton will be directing that)
Eternals 2 (definitely likely before Secret Wars now with some open dates in the mix)
Spider-Man 4 (I could see this happening in 2024)
Armor Wars (originally a Disney+ series, but now as a film, it could probably land Blade's old release date if they finish it quickly)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1063 on: October 13, 2022, 10:00:34 AM »
So has anyone else caught the Werewolf By Night special on Disney +?

I really enjoyed it.  Perfect for a a special.  Not enough there for a film or even a series, but 55 minutes was just about right.  I loved the black and white, and the music was fantastic, which makes sense, since it was directed by a composer.

Very tasty.  I also really liked Ted.

Late to the party here, but finally saw it last night.  I really enjoyed it.  I think everything you said is about right to me.  The twist was very obvious, but then again, I don't think they were trying at all to hide it. 

I will say I was a bit confused by the TV-14 rating.  Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but I didn't see anything that warranted that. 

Overall, this show is another great example of Marvel getting creative and "coloring outside the lines," and getting it right. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: October 13, 2022, 12:28:36 PM »
So has anyone else caught the Werewolf By Night special on Disney +?

I really enjoyed it.  Perfect for a a special.  Not enough there for a film or even a series, but 55 minutes was just about right.  I loved the black and white, and the music was fantastic, which makes sense, since it was directed by a composer.

Very tasty.  I also really liked Ted.

Late to the party here, but finally saw it last night.  I really enjoyed it.  I think everything you said is about right to me.  The twist was very obvious, but then again, I don't think they were trying at all to hide it. 

I will say I was a bit confused by the TV-14 rating.  Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but I didn't see anything that warranted that. 

Overall, this show is another great example of Marvel getting creative and "coloring outside the lines," and getting it right.

There was a lot of blood in that one scene, but it's less in your face in b&w than it would have been in color.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1065 on: October 13, 2022, 12:53:33 PM »
Yeah, that big scene near the end may have gotten a TV-MA rating if it wasn't in black & white.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1066 on: October 25, 2022, 04:24:06 PM »
Trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (11/25): https://youtu.be/OYhFFQl4fLs

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1067 on: October 25, 2022, 04:37:59 PM »
Looks fun :tup
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1068 on: October 25, 2022, 05:17:07 PM »
I love it when actors don't take themselves too seriously and just go with the flow when a silly/crazy script comes around based on their celebrity.  [spoiler] is pretty well known for that.  Pretty cool guy in my book.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1069 on: October 26, 2022, 12:52:58 AM »
Nice. Looking forward. Will save it for Christmas Day. 🙂
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1071 on: November 01, 2022, 12:41:25 PM »
Wonder Man?

I'm sorry, but that just makes me laugh.  I'm sure he has a great and honored backstory, but sometimes the very names of some of these superheroes are just silly.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1072 on: November 01, 2022, 12:51:42 PM »
Wonder Man?

I'm sorry, but that just makes me laugh.  I'm sure he has a great and honored backstory, but sometimes the very names of some of these superheroes are just silly.
I don't know if I would say "great and honored", but he definitely has a backstory lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1073 on: November 01, 2022, 01:51:49 PM »
Have we bust across the maximum-number-of-superhero-characters-the-general-non-comicbook-public-can-give-a-fuck-about threshold yet?

Edit: I'm definitely a nerd and, although I'm not a particular fan of costumed hero comics (more a crime/noir/sci-fi/fantasy guy), I think I've read and enjoyed a great deal more of them than the average UK MCU watcher and I'm definitely going to need some really fantastic product from the MCU in the next year or so to keep me more than cursorily interested.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1074 on: November 01, 2022, 01:55:27 PM »
Have we bust across the maximum-number-of-superhero-characters-the-general-non-comicbook-public-can-give-a-fuck-about threshold yet?
Clearly not.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1075 on: November 01, 2022, 01:57:44 PM »

The MCU hit that a long time ago. No one (except maybe me) gave a crap about the Guardians of the Galaxy before the movie. Doubt anyone cared much about Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, Ant-Man, Shang Chi, Wanda Maximoff, Hawkeye, etc. before they debuted in the MCU. But they've largely been quit well received.

I think one thing holding back the DCU is that they've largely (minus a few films) tried to stick to the most popular characters only, while Marvel just tried to do a good job executing whatever and trusted in that, rather than how well known the characters were first.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1076 on: November 01, 2022, 02:17:21 PM »
The MCU hit that a long time ago. No one (except maybe me) gave a crap about the Guardians of the Galaxy before the movie. Doubt anyone cared much about Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, Ant-Man, Shang Chi, Wanda Maximoff, Hawkeye, etc. before they debuted in the MCU. But they've largely been quit well received.

That's absolutely been a triumph for the MCU. Very impressive. I couldn't have given two shits about Cap A before the MCU movies, for example, but how they portrayed him rules.

I think one thing holding back the DCU is that they've largely (minus a few films) tried to stick to the most popular characters only, while Marvel just tried to do a good job executing whatever and trusted in that, rather than how well known the characters were first.

I've lacked almost any interest in the DCU. Just feels like no fun. I grew up watching Christopher Reeve and Lynda Carter so would love a good interpretation of the big guns. (Gal Gadot is great casting, mind.)

Clearly not.

My perception of this is that I'm still paying attention to see what they come up with and watching what comes out - but none of my circle of friends, family or work colleagues are anymore, including my teenage kids.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1077 on: November 01, 2022, 02:21:32 PM »
That's all true.  And it's entirely possible that Wonder Man will be a very cool character on screen and have some very entertaining movies.

I'm only a slightly bigger fan than average of comic books, having had one good friend growing up who was a huge comic book nerd, and I'll admit that some of it appeals to me.  Probably appeals to the same part of me that enjoys sci-fi and fantasy.  Real life is boring; give me otherworldly stuff, stuff beyond the norm.  But at the same time, I understand why a lot of people think it's just silly.  And "Wonder Man" makes me laugh because the first thing I think of is "Wonder Woman's husband" which is silly, and I laugh at my own (bad) joke.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1078 on: November 01, 2022, 03:29:59 PM »
I grew up reading comics thanks to my older brother, and collected them through high school. Even after that, I kept up with news and stories online every now and then, so when the MCU hit several years later, I was already all-in, and now 14 years since Iron Man, I'm still all in.

The rumblings about Wonder Man happening soon have piqued my interest greatly, mostly because of how he's tied to Wanda Maximoff and The Vision in the comics, so I hope they retain some of that in the MCU. It's also interesting that, with the casting announcement of Wonder Man/Simon Williams, that it's been rumored that Marvel Studios is developing a Paul Bettany/Vision show for Disney+ titled Vision Quest, named after an arc in the comics. Supposedly, it'll be about the White Vision (last seen in WandaVision) trying to figure out who he is and what his purpose is in the world, so I suspect that that may tie in Wonder Man and/or other properties happening in the next 3 years as we move through Phases Five and Six.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1079 on: November 01, 2022, 04:27:48 PM »

True for me for all of those except Wanda.  I was a huge Vision and Scarlet Witch fan in the '80s.  Hawkeye was cool too.  But the other ones...yeah, absolutely.  As I've said many a time, I love that Marvel took a lot of characters I didn't know or care about strictly from the comics and made me care a great deal about their stories. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1080 on: November 02, 2022, 06:20:08 AM »

True for me for all of those except Wanda.  I was a huge Vision and Scarlet Witch fan in the '80s.  Hawkeye was cool too.  But the other ones...yeah, absolutely.  As I've said many a time, I love that Marvel took a lot of characters I didn't know or care about strictly from the comics and made me care a great deal about their stories.

Not to derail the conversation, but for me, this is what I miss about phase 1-3. I have enjoyed mostly everything in Phase 4, but I am more interested in the bigger story than the individual characters, and that was not the case in the infinity saga.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1081 on: November 05, 2022, 07:26:16 PM »
-Knock knock
-Who's there?
-Door mom
-Door mom who?
-Door mom who, I've come to bargain

:neverusethis:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1082 on: November 07, 2022, 09:37:42 AM »
-Knock knock
-Who's there?
-Door mom
-Door mom who?
-Door mom who, I've come to bargain

:neverusethis:
lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1083 on: November 25, 2022, 10:20:25 AM »
Just watched the Guardian's Christmas special...pretty stupid, with some heavy handed humor, a good deal of fun, and one piece of info that'll probably come into play later.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1084 on: November 25, 2022, 03:00:46 PM »
one piece of info that'll probably come into play later.

So since it's Marvel, you're saying that whatever happens in this special is canon, right?  'Cause everything is.  The movies, the shorts, the TV shows, the animated stuff, why not the Christmas special?