Author Topic: Falcon and Winter Soldier Official Thread - How they gonna use that power?  (Read 13502 times)

Offline faizoff

So this is a TV too? Where does this fit in?  Should I be watching this now, or holding off?

You'll have to finish the avengers movies. Both the marvel shows so far happen after the Endgame movie
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I've watched the first two episodes, and I think it's all pretty good so far.  We checked to see if there were any bonus features or anything, and there were the four "Legends" things from before.  Wanda, Vision, Falcon, and The Winter Soldier.  We'd seen the first two, but didn't realize there were some for Falcon and The Winter Soldier, but it made sense and we checked them out.  This was a week or so ago.  Then the other day, there were two more, for Sharon Carter and Zemo.  Momentarily tabling the question of whether or not Sharon and Zemo are "legends", we checked them out as well, as it appears that they will figure into this series.  It was good to review some of the plot points from the movies that they'd each been a part of.

It all made me realize how much background was laid in the movies, background I'd forgotten, so I watched Civil War today for the second time.  The first time was way back during the original run, when we were basically watching them as they came out.  I remember Civil War being really long and having nearly all the characters in it that they'd introduced (Ant-Man, Spider-Man, and Black Panther were all basically pulled into the Avengers storyline here), but I'd forgotten most of the details.  It's a good one to re-watch, since it looks like the series is going to follow up on Zemo and Sharon.  Also, I'd forgotten that Sam and Bucky had already encountered each other and had a few run-ins, and they pretty much happened here, too.

Anyway, I like that The Falcon and The Winter Soldier has a different "feel" from WandaVision.  More action, more "cinematic", but still bringing the character beats.  Also it feels different because the episodes are longer, but there will be fewer of them, so each one packs a bit more punch.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
It's not as good as Wandavision so far but it's a perfectly fine B-tier show that you can watch and enjoy without anything deeper to it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Falcon and Winter Soldier Official Thread - One World / One People
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2021, 07:15:34 AM »
So anyone else think they might switch things up and make Zemo one of the good guys since he hates super soldiers?

Might eventually even lead to a Thunderbolts thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2021, 07:31:05 AM »
So anyone else think they might switch things up and make Zemo one of the good guys since he hates super soldiers?

I just thought the SS’s in Civil War was a means to an end. I never came away with the sense he fundamentally hated SS’s.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2021, 07:36:48 AM »

I just thought the SS’s in Civil War was a means to an end. I never came away with the sense he fundamentally hated SS’s.

He killed them all. I think he even spoke out against wanting more of them. I don’t know if he used them out of hatred but he definitely didn’t want more of them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2021, 04:11:12 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:18:26 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
So this is a TV too? Where does this fit in?  Should I be watching this now, or holding off?
Hold off until you finish the films.

Everything coming out now (except the Black Widow film) is set after the already-released films.  So finish those up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

Two episodes in and I have a sneaking suspicion you will not end up liking this show very much.  :lol
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
It's not as good as Wandavision so far but it's a perfectly fine B-tier show that you can watch and enjoy without anything deeper to it.

I think the first two episodes are better than the first two episodes WV personally.  But WV did get much better, whereas I'm not sure this has the same scope for growth.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2021, 10:05:38 AM »

I think the first two episodes are better than the first two episodes WV personally.  But WV did get much better, whereas I'm not sure this has the same scope for growth.

Well, we've gotten twice as much story in this show as in the first 2 episodes WandaVision.  For a similar place in the story, you'd need to compare to the first 4 episodes of WV.  Personally, I see these D+ shows as more like 6-hour movies than traditional tv shows.  It's hard to judge a movie after just seeing Act 1.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2021, 11:04:06 AM »
I think the first 3 episodes of WandaVision and the first 2 episodes TFaTWS might be a better comparison.  We're 1/3 of the way through TFaTWS which has six episodes, and WandaVision had nine episodes.

After three episodes of WandaVision I was intrigued, but still had no idea what the fuck was going on.  But the original plan for WandaVision included dropping the first three episodes at once, then episode 4 the second week.  All the WTF with the first three episodes would've been resolved when "act 2" kicked things into gear a week later.  Instead, the WTF was drawn out for nearly a month and I was pretty close to bailing.

The first episode of TFaTWS was obviously laying the groundwork, but started right off with a good old-fashioned Marvel action sequence.  Episode 2 brought them together and we already have a good idea where we're going with things.  It's still the end of "act 1" and things look to start getting serious this week, but it has a much different feel from WandaVision.  But that's also by design.  They are very different shows with very different approaches to storytelling.

Also possibly of note is that TFaTWS was originally going to air first.  It was ready to go last year when all the Covid shit came down.  That also means that all the references to racism in TFaTWS were scripted and shot before all the racism-related events of last year, which I find interesting.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2021, 11:27:49 AM »
What I like about this show thus far and WandaVision is that as someone who doesn't know all the 'easter eggs' and isn't a massive MCU buff.....just an 'average' viewer.....I can still watch it and enjoy it. I'm sure those out there who have a more vast knowledge of that universe and what not can spot things and may enjoy it more....but for me, I'm just glad I can watch it and not feel like I'm missing something.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2021, 02:00:50 PM »
What I like about this show thus far and WandaVision is that as someone who doesn't know all the 'easter eggs' and isn't a massive MCU buff.....just an 'average' viewer.....I can still watch it and enjoy it. I'm sure those out there who have a more vast knowledge of that universe and what not can spot things and may enjoy it more....but for me, I'm just glad I can watch it and not feel like I'm missing something.

I'm just glad I have jingle.son to fill in some of those blanks/eggs for me.  He does all the spoiler-y background research and such.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2021, 06:05:03 PM »

I think I’ve posted this before, but I’ve been saying since phase two that this is the bare essence of “comic book storytelling” that until the MCU, no one had really tried to recreate.

You didn’t even have to like Thor. But if you were reading a Spidey comic and Thor showed up mentioning that he just came from a such and such place/adventure...it would have an asterisk with a footnote referencing the Thor comic book where you could read about the adventure he was talking about...but not knowing didn’t effect the Spidey story at all. It was just a side note that might give Thor’s presence more meaning. Or whatever...rearrange and solve for X as you please...but the idea of a bigger world being referenced without bringing down the story you’re currently reading (watching).
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2021, 10:56:50 AM »
You didn’t even have to like Thor. But if you were reading a Spidey comic and Thor showed up mentioning that he just came from a such and such place/adventure...it would have an asterisk with a footnote referencing the Thor comic book where you could read about the adventure he was talking about...but not knowing didn’t effect the Spidey story at all. It was just a side note that might give Thor’s presence more meaning. Or whatever...rearrange and solve for X as you please...but the idea of a bigger world being referenced without bringing down the story you’re currently reading (watching).
Exactly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2021, 04:05:02 PM »
This is great so far. I was fine with ep 1 but number 2 really pulled me in. Great character work.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2021, 11:44:53 PM »
Another solid episode, they're really developing this nicely. Great surprise at the end, very curious to see how this wraps up.

This one is only 6 episodes, right?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2021, 05:51:27 AM »
Another solid episode, they're really developing this nicely. Great surprise at the end, very curious to see how this wraps up.

Agreed.  I totally was not expecting that ending.  I mean, it wasn't as surprising as Evan Peters showing up in WV, but it got a decent  :o out of me.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2021, 06:15:47 AM »

Agreed.  I totally was not expecting that ending.  I mean, it wasn't as surprising as Evan Peters showing up in WV, but it got a decent  :o out of me.

Yup, and I love her character too.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2021, 01:25:26 PM »
I went back and watched Civil War on Thursday in preparation for this weeks episode. Proved to be a very good idea. Made the episode that much more enjoyable. I needed the refresher.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline faizoff

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2021, 02:46:51 PM »
I like how the plot of each episode is tied so heavily to previous Captain America movies. It's making things very intriguing. Though there were some scenes that felt kinda odd in the last episode like them walking on the bridge and getting picked up, it just felt so weird. That and the lab interrogation, something about the way it was edited. Minor gripes aside, Zemo was fantastic throughout the episode and the highlight for me.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2021, 04:16:23 PM »
I went back and watched Civil War on Thursday in preparation for this weeks episode. Proved to be a very good idea. Made the episode that much more enjoyable. I needed the refresher.

Yeah, there was one particular callback in yesterday's episode (no spoiler!) that had both myself and Mrs. Orbert laughing out loud.  It was great.  :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2021, 07:08:18 PM »

Yeah, there was one particular callback in yesterday's episode (no spoiler!) that had both myself and Mrs. Orbert laughing out loud.  It was great.  :lol

Which one are you referring to?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2021, 07:31:12 PM »
It’s my understanding that this is the “spoiler thread”, no?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2021, 10:37:43 PM »
I think so, but with WandaVision we usually waited until after the weekend when a new episode dropped before getting spoilerish.  That kinda crumbled a bit towards the end though, I think.

Anyway, it had to do with sitting in a car, who's in the back seat, who's in front, and refusing to move the seat up.  'Twas a great callback.  There were lots of great callbacks, but this one was light-hearted and funny.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2021, 10:48:49 PM »
Ah yes. That got a big belly laugh in my house as well!

:rollin :rollin

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2021, 06:23:02 AM »
Yeah, that callback was great.  Not surprising that there's so much reference back to the Cap movies, since Falcon and Winter Soldier are so tightly intertwined with Cap in the comics as well.

I like the direction they're giving Sharon - much more edge to her, and I'm looking forward to her return.  Ayo showing up was entirely unexpected, and makes things much more interesting.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Falcon and Winter Soldier Official Thread - She's here for Zemo
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2021, 08:52:00 AM »
Agreed, the episode was fantastic.  I loved the introduction of Madripoor as a location - it was heavily associated with the X-Men and other mutants in the comics, so this could just be a way of laying the foundation for their eventual introduction into the MCU.

Zemo's dancing skills though

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2021, 09:00:43 AM »
I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but Mackie and Stan really have some awesome chemistry. The whole comedic buddy cop kind of thing they have going is fantastic. I would love if this 6 episodes weren't the end, but I fear this is all we'll get. Would love another few seasons.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2021, 02:03:21 PM »

Zemo's dancing skills though

Just glorious, I'm sure it'll be a stock gif in no time.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2021, 12:00:51 PM »
Kinda zoned out in the last episode, didn't really get into it.

I got mixed feelings on this show overall so far. I really enjoy the buddy cop element and the banter between Falcon and Bucky, and the addition of Zemo was enjoying to watch as well. What doesn't work as well for me is the story telling and the plot doesn't feel super interesting, but how it's told just feels very weird. Every stand alone episode so far feels almost irrelevant compared to the previous, they introduce some lame "we gotta go to X to do Y" thing so they can add some action scenes but the end of it, the story doesn't progress in a satisfying way imo.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2021, 04:12:02 PM »
I didn't enjoy ep 3 as much as 2 but didn't dislike it at all. I like that both characters and actors are getting fleshed out. I dig them both a ton more now.

It's tonally a bit uneven and I agree that the plot feels kinda bolted together rather than naturally flowing but I'm happy enough with it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2021, 05:46:20 PM »
Well that was an intense episode and ending, I kind of saw that turn coming but they handled it really well. Can't wait for next week, this shit is getting really good.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2021, 07:18:17 PM »
Holy SHIT! what an episode! the action in that last episode 4 was intense! Story for me has been kinda iffy so far and I'm hoping it connects well together by the end but man the action so far has been fantastic.