Poll

What is your favorite of these albums?

Def Leppard - Hysteria
Whitesnake - Whitesnake
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Europe - Out of This World
Bon Jovi - New Jersey

Voting closes: December 21, 2026, 07:38:40 PM

Author Topic: Favorite of these hard rock albums from 1987/1988  (Read 2794 times)

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
Re: Favorite of these hard rock albums from 1987/1988
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2021, 11:04:16 AM »
Appetite is good from start to finish. The other albums on the list have a couple good songs, that's it.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2021, 11:05:21 AM »
Appetite easily for me. One of the best hard rock albums ever created.
Whitesnake's S/T rocks and it's very good, but not my favorite by them.
I've never heard that Europe album.
And I can't stand commercial cheesy rock of "Hysteria" (Pour Some Sugar on Me is terrible) and Bon Jovi in general.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2021, 11:05:48 AM »

... Oh and Def Leppard are WAY too processed for my tastes. They sound like the "rock" demo on a Yamaha Keyboard.

I know exactly what you mean (and that’s essentially how the guitars were recorded on Hysteria), and yet I love that sound for what it is (rather than what it’s not).

For me - Waking Up The Neighbours is better. It has a similar vibe but sounds way less robotic. Even though the drums are programmed.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2021, 11:20:37 AM »
I've never heard anything from the Europe album, so that one gets my vote. Bon Jovi and Leppard were played to death. Just made me sick of them. There's only one song I like on Appetite (running Axl's vocals through a flanger covers up a multitude of sins). I don't like the Whitesnake album based on general principle (great blues rock band, terrible metal band). That leaves the relative unknown.

This made me LOL for real. :lol :lol

His logic is sound.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2021, 12:05:55 PM »
This is a huge no brainer.  Whitesnake by many, many miles.

Hysteria embodied so much of the nascent glam metal scene.  Garbage and quite a let down after Pyromania.

My dislike of GnR has been well-chronicled here.

I had to look up the Europe album to see if it had anything I'd ever heard other than The Final Countdown, but lo and behold that song isn't on this album.  If I've ever heard any of the songs on the album, I don't know it.

Simply by process of elimination, New Jersey is my #2 album on this list.  I can't say that I really like any of the songs on the album, but I'll Be There for You is ok, and Bad Medicine has some 80s nostalgia value.  I don't like Lay Your Hands on Me, and none of the other songs seem familiar.

So that takes us to Whitesnake.  Great album with one monster song after another (although I honestly don't listen to it much anymore).  Holds a special place for me because my first serious girlfriend loved this album, and playing it while we hung out was pretty much a guarantee of fun times.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2021, 01:07:56 PM »
Another worthy hard rock album from 1987:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2021, 01:12:56 PM »

I don't HATE them but I think I listened to them too late. Shoulda been there type thing.

I like some songs but I tried to listen to AFD recently and did not like it at all.

IMO Metallica (1991) is far superior.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2021, 01:23:18 PM »

Appetite, Hysteria, New Jersey and Whitesnake were MONSTER sellers.  I think they're all at least 7x platinum, and Appetite and Hysteria are probably double that.  The Europe album isn't anywhere near that level (although it did go platinum).

Aerosmith's Permanent Vacation is probably the only other hard rock/metal album from those years on the same level as Appetite, etc. (I'm talking sales only).  Maybe Motley Crue's Girls x3 and Poison's Open Up and Say...Ahh!

But for my money, the best albums of those two years are

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys: Part 1 and Part 2
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Triumph - Surveillance
Fates Warning - No Exit
Metallica - And Justice for All
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Judas Priest - Ram It Down

I don't HATE them but I think I listened to them too late. Shoulda been there type thing.

I like some songs but I tried to listen to AFD recently and did not like it at all.

Maybe...I was there.  Didn't help.

My fat cat whining at my bedroom door at 5:30 a.m. because he wants to be fed is far superior.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2021, 01:29:02 PM »
The only album in that group I really care about is the Guns & Roses album.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2021, 02:18:09 PM »

So easy choice, as far as what album has aged the best and continues to get my airtime, my vote is Whitesnake's 87.

Not for the videos though but for the songs  :metal

Surely a bonus point for Tawny on the Shaguar?

I used to so love that song and video.  However, seeing recent photo's of Ms Kitaen has sullied my memories.  And if I never heard the song again, that would still make it the most overplayed / over-rated song of the 80s... right next to Pour Some Sugar.

'That' Europe album was great way better than Countdown IMO and Superstitious got loads of airtime here although for this list would sooner replace with Pump, a Van Halen album, Motley's Feelgood or even the debut Skid Row!?

Well, since those were released in '89, and the thread title is '87/'88, that probably explains why they weren't options to choose.

Stay tuned, I'm sure there will be an '89/'90 poll imminently.  If not from Kev, then from WildRanger.

Well that's a darn fine point you have there :)

My brain was singing Rag Doll which would mean Permanent Vacation anyways but both MC and SR I put idown to old age creeping in LOL it's becoming a blur and how could I forget Mindcrime :(

Righto look forward to the next...

'That' Europe album was great way better than Countdown IMO and Superstitious got loads of airtime here although for this list would sooner replace with Pump, a Van Halen album, Motley's Feelgood or even the debut Skid Row!?

Anyway as great as it was always thought Appetite a little overrated, the singles were key and while never loved Jovi  New Jersey was rather good. As big an impact as it was about half of Hysteria got tired quickly back when too...

So easy choice, as far as what album has aged the best and continues to get my airtime, my vote is Whitesnake's 87.

Not for the videos though but for the songs  :metal
]I didn't intend to talk nonsense about Europe. I'm not familiar with them enough to say anything about them. Very sorry.

Errr, you didn't.  And am sure they be used to it by now anyway  :lol
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 02:34:07 PM by WardySI »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2021, 03:34:56 PM »
Whitesnake - has a meaty, cheesy sound I love to this day.

Def Leppard were great on High'n'Dry but there's a lot I dislike about the later stuff. I still play Gods Of War and Run Riot regularly, mind.

The Jovi one has a couple of corkers but only a couple.

Love Europe but hate that album. Europe without the amazing John Norum? Nope.

GnR suck hairy balls.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2021, 03:36:03 PM »
I've never heard anything from the Europe album, so that one gets my vote. Bon Jovi and Leppard were played to death. Just made me sick of them. There's only one song I like on Appetite (running Axl's vocals through a flanger covers up a multitude of sins). I don't like the Whitesnake album based on general principle (great blues rock band, terrible metal band). That leaves the relative unknown.

This made me LOL for real. :lol :lol

His logic is sound.

Maybe.  My nostalgic love for certain 80's songs and albums will always result in a strong bias. :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2021, 03:41:45 PM »

Appetite, Hysteria, New Jersey and Whitesnake were MONSTER sellers.  I think they're all at least 7x platinum, and Appetite and Hysteria are probably double that.  The Europe album isn't anywhere near that level (although it did go platinum).

Aerosmith's Permanent Vacation is probably the only other hard rock/metal album from those years on the same level as Appetite, etc. (I'm talking sales only).  Maybe Motley Crue's Girls x3 and Poison's Open Up and Say...Ahh!

Triumph - Surveillance
Fates Warning - No Exit

In the States:
1987:            8x  Platinum (8,000,000)
New Jersey:   7x
Hysteria:       12x  (one of two Diamond records: Pyromania is 10x)
Appetite:       18x

Permanent Vacation is 5x (Pump is 7x, the highest selling Aerosmith record is Toys at 8x).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2021, 05:47:10 PM »

So that takes us to Whitesnake.  Great album with one monster song after another (although I honestly don't listen to it much anymore).  Holds a special place for me because my first serious girlfriend loved this album, and playing it while we hung out was pretty much a guarantee of fun times.

I have fond memories of that album because it came out in the spring of 1987, and the summer of 1987 was like the last time a bunch of us hung out together (I went to a catholic grade school and then we all graduated from 8th grade in May 1987 and we all seemingly ended up going to different high schools in the area).  We had a blast that summer, and the Whitesnake cassette (yes, cassette) was one that always seemed to be playing at our old friend Tony's house.  :hat

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2021, 05:56:35 PM »
Of the albums listed, I have to go with Whitesnake, simply because of Still of the Night. That is the best song from any of those albums. The rest of the album is pretty good too.

If we are talking just Hard Rock albums from those 2 years, there are a few that seem like obvious omissions from the list:
The Cult - Electric
Triumph - Surveillance
King's X - Out of the Silent Planet
Blue Öyster Cult - Imaginos

If I had to rank them all it would probably be something like:
1. King's X - Out of the Silent Planet
2. Triumph - Surveillance
3. The Cult Electric
4. Whitesnake - Whitesnake
5. Def Leppard - Hysteria
6. Blue Öyster Cult - Imaginos
7. Europe - Out of this World
8. Guns N Roses - Appetite
9. Bon Jovi - New Jersey
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2021, 06:00:49 PM »
Of the albums listed, I have to go with Whitesnake, simply because of Still of the Night. That is the best song from any of those albums.

Agreed!  That song is still awesome.  I still have much love for Is This Love as well, and despite my ambivalence towards a lot of GnR's music, Welcome to the Jungle is still pretty bad ass, but it's hard to for anything from any of those records to top Still of the Night.  :metal

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2021, 06:06:24 PM »
Of the albums listed, I have to go with Whitesnake, simply because of Still of the Night. That is the best song from any of those albums. The rest of the album is pretty good too.

If we are talking just Hard Rock albums from those 2 years, there are a few that seem like obvious omissions from the list:
The Cult - Electric
Triumph - Surveillance

3. The Cult Electric
9. Bon Jovi - New Jersey

KINGS X,, OOTSP is truly an epic amazing album,  by far their best and timeless
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2021, 06:10:03 PM »
In the States:
1987:            8x  Platinum (8,000,000)
New Jersey:   7x
Hysteria:       12x  (one of two Diamond records: Pyromania is 10x)
Appetite:       18x

Permanent Vacation is 5x (Pump is 7x, the highest selling Aerosmith record is Toys at 8x).

??

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2021, 06:53:28 PM »

The Cult - Electric
Triumph - Surveillance

3. The Cult Electric
9. Bon Jovi - New Jersey

Are not considering Metallica, Iron Maiden, or Queensryche for this list?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2021, 07:22:18 PM »

The Cult - Electric
Triumph - Surveillance

3. The Cult Electric
9. Bon Jovi - New Jersey

Needs more Winger!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2021, 07:24:21 PM »
It definitely does not need more Winger.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2021, 07:44:54 PM »

The Cult - Electric
Triumph - Surveillance

3. The Cult Electric
9. Bon Jovi - New Jersey

Those are Metal bands. I was only considering Hard Rock.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline HOF

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2021, 07:51:02 PM »

The Cult - Electric
Triumph - Surveillance

3. The Cult Electric
9. Bon Jovi - New Jersey

KINGS X,, OOTSP is truly an epic amazing album,  by far their best and timeless

I like OOTSP but it’s far from my favorite. Hard to pick a favorite from the 4 that followed it (I also love Mr. Bulbous).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2021, 08:05:55 PM »

OK, then I'd add:

Gary Moore-Wild Frontier
AC/DC-Blow Up Your Video
Dio-Dream Evil
Tesla-The Great Radio Controversy
Frehley's Comet-s/t
Van Halen-OU812
Scorpions-Savage Amusement
Black Sabbath-The Eternal Idol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2021, 08:42:51 PM »

OK, then I'd add:

Gary Moore-Wild Frontier
AC/DC-Blow Up Your Video
Dio-Dream Evil
Tesla-The Great Radio Controversy
Frehley's Comet-s/t
Van Halen-OU812
Scorpions-Savage Amusement
Black Sabbath-The Eternal Idol
I thought about adding OU812 and Savage Amusement to my list, but then I remembered they are terrible albums.  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2021, 08:50:48 PM »
I am prepared to virtually fist fight anyone who dogs OU812.  :biggrin:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2021, 09:20:02 PM »

Triumph - Surveillance
Fates Warning - No Exit

Maybe...I was there.  Didn't help.

My fat cat whining at my bedroom door at 5:30 a.m. because he wants to be fed is far superior.

OMC   in a biblical landslide..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2021, 09:42:47 PM »
I am prepared to virtually fist fight anyone who dogs OU812.  :biggrin:
Are you challenging me to a bout of fisticuffs, good sir?  :rollin :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jammindude

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2021, 10:15:44 PM »
OU812 is VHs worst Hagar album.

....and I like the Hagar era.

FUCK
Balance
OU812
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2021, 10:42:47 PM »
OU812 is VHs worst Hagar album.

....and I like the Hagar era.

FUCK
Balance
OU812
I'd put 5150 at the top, but yeah.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2021, 11:45:42 PM »
1987:
-Def Leppard - Hysteria
-Dokken - Back for the Attack
-Whitesnake - s/t
-Y&T - Contagious

1988:
-Metallica - AJFA
-Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
-Cinderella - Long, Cold Winter
-Bon Jovi - New Jersey
-Scorpions - Savage Amusement
-Stryper - In God We Trust
-House of Lords - s/t
-Testament - The New Order

1987 was good.  1988 was pretty spectacular.

...and, yeah, OU812 is not on my list.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2021, 01:08:32 AM »
1987 was good.  1988 was pretty spectacular.

Thanks also to two glaring omissions from your list (yeah, I know, they're not omissions, they're just tastes  :D) - Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys part II.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2021, 03:11:45 AM »

I thought about adding OU812 and Savage Amusement to my list, but then I remembered they are terrible albums.  :biggrin:

I agree, Scorpions started to suck after "Love at First Sting".

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2021, 04:11:24 AM »
Back then, I loved Hysteria, so I'd have picked that. Now, Appetite for Destruction.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2021, 05:37:59 AM »

I agree, Scorpions started to suck after "Love at First Sting".

+1
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude