Poll

What is your favorite of these albums?

Def Leppard - Hysteria
Whitesnake - Whitesnake
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Europe - Out of This World
Bon Jovi - New Jersey

Voting closes: December 21, 2026, 07:38:40 PM

Author Topic: Favorite of these hard rock albums from 1987/1988  (Read 2796 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Favorite of these hard rock albums from 1987/1988
« on: March 10, 2021, 07:38:40 PM »
Anyone who was watching MTV around this era remembers how much videos from all of these were played non-stop.

Pick your favorite.

I probably have to go with Whitesnake. That one has held up pretty well. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Favorite of these hard rock albums from 1987/1988
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 07:45:02 PM »
I don't remember anything from Out Of This World. I had made a copy of The Final Countdown (the album) and listened to it a few times, but it never stuck. I did see Europe open for Del Leppard in the summer of '88, but looking at the tracklist of Out Of This World, I don't recognize a single song.

I voted Appetite as it's easily the most consistent album of the ones listed.

Whitesnake '87 is way overrated. New Jersey is a great album. I actually just listened to it a couple of weeks ago.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 07:46:51 PM »
I don't remember anything from Out Of This World. I had made a copy of The Final Countdown (the album) and listened to it a few times, but it never stuck. I did see Europe open for Del Leppard in the summer of '88, but looking at the tracklist of Out Of This World, I don't recognize a single song.

Not an MTV watcher at the time?  The vidoes for Superstitious (my favorite song for a while in 1988), Open Your Heart and Let the Good Times Rock were all played to death.  And the rest of the album is good.  Much more consistent than The Final Countdown, which fizzles out in the back half after Cherokee.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 07:47:26 PM »
Bon Jovi. It was an album that hit all strides for them musically and commercially 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 07:49:40 PM »
Bon Jovi. It was an album that hit all strides for them musically and commercially

I hated Bad Medicine, which was the lead single, so I was jaded in regards to the band for a bit because of it, but I was a big fan of Lay Your Hands on Me.

Online HOF

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 07:59:55 PM »
I only own Hysteria, so it got my vote.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:03:23 PM »

Not an MTV watcher at the time?  The vidoes for Superstitious (my favorite song for a while in 1988), Open Your Heart and Let the Good Times Rock were all played to death.  And the rest of the album is good.  Much more consistent than The Final Countdown, which fizzles out in the back half after Cherokee.

OK, I just dropped the needle on Spotify in this. I definitely do not recognize those songs.

87/88 was my sophomore year of college. Obviously there was no cable in the dorms. That summer I worked a lot, had a gf, and really didn't watch a lot of MTV. Maybe Headbanger's Ball on Saturday nights in the summer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 08:09:12 PM »

OK, I just dropped the needle on Spotify in this. I definitely do not recognize those songs.

87/88 was my sophomore year of college. Obviously there was no cable in the dorms. That summer I worked a lot, had a gf, and really didn't watch a lot of MTV. Maybe Headbanger's Ball on Saturday nights in the summer.

Makes sense. :tup :tup

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 08:13:28 PM »
I played the hell out of my Hysteria cassette, so it got my vote.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 08:15:01 PM »
Yeah Kev, but like I said, I saw Europe on 7-30-88.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 08:28:58 PM »
Whitesnake    PERIOD

Hysteria second    the rest  hard pass

The only BJ album worth anything is 7800

but Props to Axls Thin Lizzy Tat and Slash mimicking his look after Phil   so I do like that
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 08:32:03 PM »
All 5 were on very heavy rotation for me in the late 80s..........Hysteria a bit less as I preferred the previous couple of albums.  If pushed I guess Whitesnake but loved them all at the time.

I agree with Kev re Bad Medicine .........normally I barely even notice lyrics but that song just registered as lame with me from the minute I heard it and put me off listening to New Jersey until I heard some of the other songs.   I like pretty much the whole album bar Bad Medicine.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 08:45:10 PM »
If Def Lep would have been anything from before Hysteria, they might have gotten my vote. I hate Bon Jovi. Not really into Whitesnake and I only own one Europe album and it's obviously not that one.

GNR for me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 09:17:01 PM »
Def Leppard was my first "favorite band" and Hysteria was my second "favorite album," and the first or second CD I ever bought. Holds a special place for me, and something I don't listen to often yet will always enjoy.

Owned New Jersey and listened to it a lot.

Never got in to Whitesnake or GnR, and I am drawing a blank on Out of This World. I couldn't name two Europe songs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Realm

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 09:24:39 PM »
Appetite and Hysteria are the best for me. Both were huge albums on heavy rotation (on cassette) at the time. I was a big Bon Jovi fan too but New Jersey didn't have the same impact.

Like others have said I also don't know the Europe album and was never a big Whitesnake fan.

I voted for Appetite.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 11:11:11 PM »
I’m the first one to say that GNR (in general) are probably a bit overrated. I mean...they made the RNRHOF because they made one perfect album.

....but they did make *ONE* absolutely perfect album.  Appetite deserves all the praise it gets. But the wheels fell off that band before they even finished making it.

My vote goes to AFD, but with that caveat.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 01:08:16 AM »
Bon Jovi, New Jersey is one of his best albums.  Born to Be My Baby, Blood on Blood and Wild is the Wind are awesome.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 01:42:35 AM »
None :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 03:57:52 AM »
Out of This World and New Jersey were significant dropoffs from their predecessors, that's for sure.

I voted Whitesnake, though AfD is a very close second.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 04:18:02 AM »
Hysteria. (I'm not familiar with that Europe album though)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline WardySI

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 05:44:18 AM »
'That' Europe album was great way better than Countdown IMO and Superstitious got loads of airtime here although for this list would sooner replace with Pump, a Van Halen album, Motley's Feelgood or even the debut Skid Row!?

Anyway as great as it was always thought Appetite a little overrated, the singles were key and while never loved Jovi  New Jersey was rather good. As big an impact as it was about half of Hysteria got tired quickly back when too...

So easy choice, as far as what album has aged the best and continues to get my airtime, my vote is Whitesnake's 87.

Not for the videos though but for the songs  :metal

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2021, 05:46:09 AM »
'That' Europe album was great way better than Countdown IMO and Superstitious got loads of airtime here although for this list would sooner replace with Pump, a Van Halen album, Motley's Feelgood or even the debut Skid Row!?

Anyway as great as it was always thought Appetite a little overrated, the singles were key and while never loved Jovi  New Jersey was rather good. As big an impact as it was about half of Hysteria got tired quickly back when too...

So easy choice, as far as what album has aged the best and continues to get my airtime, my vote is Whitesnake's 87.

I didn't intend to talk nonsense about Europe. I'm not familiar with them enough to say anything about them. Very sorry.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2021, 05:57:48 AM »
Hysteria or Destruction. 

I much prefer the album either side of New Jersey (Slippery and Keep the Faith).

I can't name another song by Europe other than 'The Final Countdown'.

Whitesnake suck.

Would have stuck Permanent Vacation in there.  Dude (looks like a lady), Angel and Ragdoll were all over the airwaves.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 05:58:57 AM »

Surely a bonus point for Tawny on the Shaguar?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2021, 06:28:46 AM »

Surely a bonus point for Tawny on the Shaguar?

I used to so love that song and video.  However, seeing recent photo's of Ms Kitaen has sullied my memories.  And if I never heard the song again, that would still make it the most overplayed / over-rated song of the 80s... right next to Pour Some Sugar.

Well, since those were released in '89, and the thread title is '87/'88, that probably explains why they weren't options to choose.

Stay tuned, I'm sure there will be an '89/'90 poll imminently.  If not from Kev, then from WildRanger.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online HOF

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2021, 06:32:28 AM »
Bon Jovi, New Jersey is one of his best albums.  Born to Be My Baby, Blood on Blood and Wild is the Wind are awesome.

JBJ loves alliteration!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2021, 07:52:57 AM »
Appetite for Destruction and it’s not even close. One of the top three debut albums of all time alongside Van Halen and Boston.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2021, 08:13:12 AM »
Stay tuned, I'm sure there will be an '89/'90 poll imminently.  If not from Kev, then from WildRanger.

:lol  Laughing because I legit thought this was a WildRanger thread at first, and had to do a double take when I realized it was Kev.

Anyway, it has to be Hysteria for me, although Whitesnake is a pretty close second.  That WS album is pretty close to perfect, especially side 1. 

Honorable mentions to both New Jersey and Appetite.  I don't listen to either anymore, but I spun New Jersey a TON after it came out, and I definitely respect Appetite, even if I don't care for it myself.

No idea on the Europe album.  I'm with TAC on that one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2021, 08:22:11 AM »

That's me, exactly.    For me, though, I lived in a dorm complex called "The Jungle", so you can imagine which album got the most play in my world.   I quasi-dated a girl in '88 that was neck deep in love with Hysteria (and we both REALLY dug the b-sides a lot; there's no innuendo there at all), so there's that. 

1.  Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
  1. Def Leppard - Hysteria
  2. Whitesnake - Whitesnake

3.  Europe - Out of This World
  3.  Bon Jovi - New Jersey

Tie goes to the runner, so Appetite if I had to pick one, but Hysteria has good memories (including, but not limited to the girl).  Whitesnake was big amongst the guys I would play hockey with when I was home for the weekends/summer, but I MUCH preferred Slide It In.   I only know the singles from New Jersey, and only sort of like "Lay Your Hands On Me"; the rest you can have.  Not much of a latter day Bon Jovi fan.  I don't know one song from the Europe album.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2021, 09:06:01 AM »
Hysteria by a country-mile.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2021, 09:41:56 AM »
Hey now, I am the originator of these types of threads here, not the copycat.  :hat

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2021, 09:54:17 AM »
I've never heard anything from the Europe album, so that one gets my vote. Bon Jovi and Leppard were played to death. Just made me sick of them. There's only one song I like on Appetite (running Axl's vocals through a flanger covers up a multitude of sins). I don't like the Whitesnake album based on general principle (great blues rock band, terrible metal band). That leaves the relative unknown.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2021, 09:58:41 AM »
I've never heard anything from the Europe album, so that one gets my vote. Bon Jovi and Leppard were played to death. Just made me sick of them. There's only one song I like on Appetite (running Axl's vocals through a flanger covers up a multitude of sins). I don't like the Whitesnake album based on general principle (great blues rock band, terrible metal band). That leaves the relative unknown.

This made me LOL for real. :lol :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2021, 10:00:31 AM »
Out of all those - the only band I'd enjoy listening to would be Bon Jovi.

Not into hair metal or Hair 80s Rock or whatever you wanna call it.

I did really enjoy Keep The Faith era Bon Jovi back in the day.

I've never ever clicked with GNR. As with Megadeth - the voice kills it for me.

... Oh and Def Leppard are WAY too processed for my tastes. They sound like the "rock" demo on a Yamaha Keyboard.

Online HOF

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2021, 10:08:34 AM »

... Oh and Def Leppard are WAY too processed for my tastes. They sound like the "rock" demo on a Yamaha Keyboard.

I know exactly what you mean (and that’s essentially how the guitars were recorded on Hysteria), and yet I love that sound for what it is (rather than what it’s not).