Author Topic: When Dream and Day Unite - 35 Years on...  (Read 8100 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: When Dream and Day Unite - 35 Years on...
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2021, 11:21:00 AM »
I'm listening to When Dream And Day Reunite now, and I forgot how good this was.  Holy mackerel.

By the way I LOVE Status Seeker; I love that keyboard intro.  It's not very "Dream Theater" as we later came to know it, but I love that sound.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2021, 02:23:07 PM »
I'm listening to When Dream And Day Reunite now, and I forgot how good this was.  Holy mackerel.

By the way I LOVE Status Seeker; I love that keyboard intro.  It's not very "Dream Theater" as we later came to know it, but I love that sound.

:tup :tup :tup

We are two then

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2021, 07:17:26 PM »
And I am not with you two. That's the only thing that brings that song down, IMO. Much prefer the reworked version they played on the Music in Progress tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 07:20:44 PM »

:tup :tup :tup

We are two then

It’s probably my favorite track on the album.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 08:36:37 PM »
I have always liked Status Seeker.  I put it somewhere in the middle of the album.  Only ones I really don't like off the top of my head are TOWHTSTS and Afterlife.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2021, 09:26:39 PM »
Don't love it.  But the band was REALLY smart to have done that anniversary show and put out WDADRU so fans could gain exposure to these songs.  I probably would never have paid attention to most of them otherwise.

Definitely. Even if it gained a few fans, it was a bold decision. I know Mike said on commentary that it might have put some fans at the show off, which is fair. If I was at the show, not having been familiar with that album at all, I do not know how I would have reacted.

My first taste of a song from this album is Only A Matter of Time from Budakon.

Might have been for me as well. I honestly do not know how I was introduced to WD&DU but I know it was past 2000. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »
I gave this a listen this morning at the gym.  It's not an album I revisit all that often but I always enjoy it when I do.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2021, 08:36:17 AM »
I have always liked Status Seeker.  I put it somewhere in the middle of the album.  Only ones I really don't like off the top of my head are TOWHTSTS and Afterlife.

It's funny because Status Seeker is my all-time least favorite DT song from the MP era, while TOWHTSTS is among my favorites. :P
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Trav86

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2021, 09:33:12 AM »
TOWHTSTS is the one I assume is my least favorite. Then I listen to it, and it’s badass. Especially the intro and the guitar solo section.  I can’t pick a least favorite. I love every song on this album.  I don’t go back to this album often, but when I do it gets repeat listens. Then I dig out the WDADU demos and I just get sucked into this whole era.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2021, 01:35:06 PM »
I have still never heard this studio album to this day, and I've been hooked on DT since Images and Words. I have the live version on dvd with JLB, but I never got around to ordering the album.
I need to quit being a jerk and order a copy.

Since I haven't heard the album yet, the only flaw I can see is the artwork cover.  Cringeworthy.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2021, 10:53:05 AM »

That one’s a great performance indeed!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2021, 11:18:21 AM »

That one’s a great performance indeed!

That one and TKH Live at the Marquee  :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2021, 02:32:16 PM »
Live at the Marquee may very well be my favourite DT live release..  :|

But that's maybe also mostly because it's short. Scenes From New York and Score are great too, but I'll never have time to listen to those in one sitting, whereas Marquee basically fits in my morning commute.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2021, 05:56:15 AM »
While we talk about live albums from that era, are you guys familiar with the Osaka Samurai CD? I was fortunate enough to get it many years ago and it basically has the entire I&W plus some great songs from WDADU like Another Hand/The Killing Hand and Only a Matter of Time. This release is easily in my top 3 live albums of the band!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2021, 10:10:01 AM »
While we talk about live albums from that era, are you guys familiar with the Osaka Samurai CD? I was fortunate enough to get it many years ago and it basically has the entire I&W plus some great songs from WDADU like Another Hand/The Killing Hand and Only a Matter of Time. This release is easily in my top 3 live albums of the band!
Sounds like a bootleg, so not a real band release.  But no, I've never heard of it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2021, 11:12:02 AM »
Sounds like a bootleg, so not a real band release.  But no, I've never heard of it.

I've never heard of it either, but it sounds like one of many bootlegs from the I&W tour -- e.g., this one, https://dreamtheater.fandom.com/wiki/New_York_City_3/4/93 , which I received a copy of on cassette via *Prodigy sometime in mid-1993, and which was later released as an "official bootleg" through Ytse Jam Records.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2021, 12:34:17 PM »

I've never heard of it either, but it sounds like one of many bootlegs from the I&W tour -- e.g., this one, https://dreamtheater.fandom.com/wiki/New_York_City_3/4/93 , which I received a copy of on cassette via *Prodigy sometime in mid-1993, and which was later released as an "official bootleg" through Ytse Jam Records.
Yeah, I had that one under a different name before the Official Bootleg was released.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2021, 01:50:22 PM »
Another great live too. Honestly it might be better than the one I mentioned! I mean it has Eve and A Change of Seasons..that's incredible!

As for the Osaka Samurai this is the album and the tracklist, https://www.discogs.com/Dream-Theater-Osaka-Samurai/release/7380191

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2021, 03:13:45 PM »
Looks like it's one of the soundboard recordings included in the Forbidden Dreams bootleg set, which also includes another show from their 1993 run through Japan (from the same leg of the show featured on Live in Tokyo). The sound on those 3 recordings is absolutely killer and I can imagine might have been released as part of the official bootleg series if they hadn't already gotten into circulation.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2021, 03:16:46 PM »
Another great live too. Honestly it might be better than the one I mentioned! I mean it has Eve and A Change of Seasons..that's incredible!

As for the Osaka Samurai this is the album and the tracklist, https://www.discogs.com/Dream-Theater-Osaka-Samurai/release/7380191

Yeah...with the obvious exception of the demo tracks, that's the same set list as when I saw them twice in November 1992, which makes sense since the two shows I saw bookended the band's three show trip to Japan.

I also have this one:  https://www.last.fm/music/Dream+Theater/Majestic+Harmonies

They must have been seriously wiped:  Tuesday, Nov. 10 in San Francisco, Wednesday, Nov. 11 in San Jose, Thursday, Nov. 12 in Westminster (the first show I saw), Friday, Nov. 13 in West Hollywood, Tuesday through Thursday, Nov. 17-19 in Japan (the 11/19 show is the one recorded for your boot), then Monday through Wednesday, Nov. 23-25 in San Diego, Phoenix and El Paso.  They got Thanksgiving off but were back at it the following Friday and Saturday in OKC and Dallas.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2021, 03:20:56 PM »
Looks like it's one of the soundboard recordings included in the Forbidden Dreams bootleg set, which also includes another show from their 1993 run through Japan (from the same leg of the show featured on Live in Tokyo). The sound on those 3 recordings is absolutely killer and I can imagine might have been released as part of the official bootleg series if they hadn't already gotten into circulation.

I think the one that Ignotus mentioned is from the November 19, 1992 show, whereas Live in Tokyo is from August 1993 (with the differences being that they switched up the WDADU songs, swapped out Moon Bubbles for Puppies on Acid, and added TLF and Eve).  Isn't that right?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2021, 03:32:16 PM »
I think the one that Ignotus mentioned is from the November 19, 1992 show, whereas Live in Tokyo is from August 1993 (with the differences being that they switched up the WDADU songs, swapped out Moon Bubbles for Puppies on Acid, and added TLF and Eve).  Isn't that right?
No - I know what show Ignotus is referring to. I'm just commenting that in the Forbidden Dreams bootleg (which is a collection of 3 Japanese shows), not only is there the 1992/11/19 show, but *also* one of the shows they did on their second run through Japan - can't remember if it's the show from August 23 or 28 (there are soundboard recordings circulating of both shows). But yeah, like almost all the shows they did on Images and Tour/Music in Progress, they played all of IaW and 3 tracks from WDaDU and changed up some live-only instrumental pieces, depending on the leg of the tour.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2021, 07:32:47 AM »
OK.  I have Forbidden Dreams somewhere.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2021, 09:56:32 AM »
I think I do too.  I remember having so much fun collecting DT bootlegs back in the day.  Then it just got to a point where it was overwhelming and started feeling like a chore.  I have them all in a box.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2021, 12:17:18 PM »
I think I do too.  I remember having so much fun collecting DT bootlegs back in the day.  Then it just got to a point where it was overwhelming and started feeling like a chore.  I have them all in a box.
Same.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2021, 01:14:58 PM »
Same.

I was so insane with every Rush tour that I had audio bootlegs and video bootlegs.  Nothing more insane than buying a VCR tape for $25 for a single camera, crappy audio of a concert.  Oh, and I had to pay to get in to buy these bootlegs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2021, 06:53:22 PM »
Same.

I was so insane with every Rush tour that I had audio bootlegs and video bootlegs.  Nothing more insane than buying a VCR tape for $25 for a single camera, crappy audio of a concert.  Oh, and I had to pay to get in to buy these bootlegs.

Those were the days....

Offline nick_z

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2021, 02:36:48 PM »
LOVE When Dream and Day Unite! All of the usual appreciation for the youthful energy and enthusiasm apply here, but above all I still think it's a fantastic collection of creative, varied and exciting metal songs. Obviously it doesn't sound as "mature" as I&W (funny to use that word for a sophomore effort) but I have always enjoyed it so much. The production is what it is, but it doesn't really bother me. And while the vocals can't touch prime JLB, they actually work ok for the songs.

I always thought that while I&W brought a bit of AOR influence in the progressive + metal mix (in the best possible way), WDADU was really the record where Rush were jamming with some of the more adventurous metal bands of the 80s, to come up with something quite unique. A Fortune in Lies and Killing Hand are probably my favorite (KH's version on Live at the Marquee probably even better - not so much, or not only, because of James' vocals, but thanks to Another Hand as the intro...). Ytse Jam is always a fun one, and I would agree with the Status Seeker's appreciation comments: such a cool intro and overall song. Interestingly enough, Only a Matter of Time was an early favorite, but I do find its busy vocal lines a bit much these days. Still like it, though. As I do the rest of "side B".

Bottom line - still a big fan!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2021, 04:00:13 PM »
LOVE When Dream and Day Unite! All of the usual appreciation for the youthful energy and enthusiasm apply here, but above all I still think it's a fantastic collection of creative, varied and exciting metal songs. Obviously it doesn't sound as "mature" as I&W (funny to use that word for a sophomore effort) but I have always enjoyed it so much. The production is what it is, but it doesn't really bother me. And while the vocals can't touch prime JLB, they actually work ok for the songs.

I always thought that while I&W brought a bit of AOR influence in the progressive + metal mix (in the best possible way), WDADU was really the record where Rush were jamming with some of the more adventurous metal bands of the 80s, to come up with something quite unique. A Fortune in Lies and Killing Hand are probably my favorite (KH's version on Live at the Marquee probably even better - not so much, or not only, because of James' vocals, but thanks to Another Hand as the intro...). Ytse Jam is always a fun one, and I would agree with the Status Seeker's appreciation comments: such a cool intro and overall song. Interestingly enough, Only a Matter of Time was an early favorite, but I do find its busy vocal lines a bit much these days. Still like it, though. As I do the rest of "side B".

Bottom line - still a big fan!

That album made an impression on me from the get go and arrived at the perfect time in my world.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2021, 08:58:22 AM »
I got WDADU sometime in 2004 between April (show 1) and August (show 2). It was about a year after I got into the band. I remember knowing the titles to the songs and recognizing the title "Light Fuse and Get Away" when they played it in Boston that year. Little did I know that that was only the fourth (and last) time they'd played it with JLB. That's a night I wish I could re-live (although the bootleg kinda lets me).

Then I was familiar with the album when they played "A Fortune In Lies" in Worcester. It was one of the best songs of the night. No boot for this show exists though.

Now I love it any time they play stuff from this album. Getting Ytsejam in 2011, and Afterlife in 2006 (in CT and NYC), I've only seen half the album live. Still waiting on TKH and OaMoT, two of my favorite DT songs ever.

Interesting local tour fact: Afterlife is the only song from the album not ever played in Boston/MA. I'm lucky to have seen it twice!

EDIT: The lack of WDaDU in the setlist in the last decade makes me sad. No songs played stateside since 2012, if I remember correctly. I hope they bring at least one track out next tour!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 09:05:31 AM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »
EDIT: The lack of WDaDU in the setlist in the last decade makes me sad. No songs played stateside since 2012, if I remember correctly. I hope they bring at least one track out next tour!

The DT fanbase now is all long-time fans and internet kids. Those songs would kill
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2021, 07:57:20 PM »
Random thing: I was a local vinyl shop this weekend and they actually had a copy of When Dream and Day Unite.  I am trying to keep my vinyl collection to either major favorites and/or ones with really awesome covers.  Even though I like the DT debut a lot, that cover is not good, so I couldn't pull the trigger.  And that was not going to be only one of two DT albums I own on vinyl (I currently have Awake, still hoping to get I&W and Scenes).

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2021, 09:01:20 PM »
Random thing: I was a local vinyl shop this weekend and they actually had a copy of When Dream and Day Unite.  I am trying to keep my vinyl collection to either major favorites and/or ones with really awesome covers.  Even though I like the DT debut a lot, that cover is not good, so I couldn't pull the trigger.  And that was not going to be only one of two DT albums I own on vinyl (I currently have Awake, still hoping to get I&W and Scenes).

How much? And do you wanna pick that up for me? :D
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2021, 07:28:23 PM »

Original or one of the many reissues that seem to be around?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2021, 02:37:24 PM »
Original or one of the many reissues that seem to be around?
Of WDaDU on vinyl?!? Not that it matters to me since I don't collect vinyl, but this is the first I've ever heard of there being reissues of that album on vinyl.