Author Topic: Non-Fungible Tokens (NFT) for music: is this anything or a dumb gimmick?  (Read 454 times)

Offline HOF

Just read this article about the Kings of Leon releasing an NFT based album with extra perks essentially to make creating and selling music more profitable.

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/kings-of-leon-when-you-see-yourself-album-nft-crypto-1135192/

I don’t understand how any of it works, but it’s like crypto currency for music and you buy a token that gives you exclusive access to certain content.

“Kings of Leon’s album will be released everywhere albums are released — Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon — but the NFT version available on YellowHeart will be the only product with special perks. The token, priced at $50, includes enhanced media — kind of like an alternate, moving album cover — as well as a digital download of the music, and limited-edition vinyl. The sale of the album NFTs opens on Friday at 12 p.m. E.T. and continues for two weeks. After that time, no more will be made, and the NFT becomes a tradable collectible.”

So my question is can you squint and see this being a real money maker for artists? Is it really any better than selling physical product with special content? Innovation is good, but I have a hard time seeing this take off for artists. I also get the sense this is going to end with some ridiculous pricing due to speculation.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Nope, at least not from me.

My criteria is pretty simple: MUSIC.   If the main album has 12 songs, and the Super Deluxe Trump Version has 12 songs, I'm buying the main album.  Period.

With Transatlantic, I bought both versions, and the standalone Blu-ray, because "music".   

Now, if that token unlocks cool live shows, or unreleased tracks, or bonus tracks, I may be back in.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Nope, at least not from me.

My criteria is pretty simple: MUSIC.   If the main album has 12 songs, and the Super Deluxe Trump Version has 12 songs, I'm buying the main album.  Period.

With Transatlantic, I bought both versions, and the standalone Blu-ray, because "music".   

Now, if that token unlocks cool live shows, or unreleased tracks, or bonus tracks, I may be back in.

What ^ he said