Axl Rose vs. David Lee Roth vs. Steven Tyler

Axl Rose
12 (33.3%)
David Lee Roth
9 (25%)
Steven Tyler
15 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Axl Rose vs. David Lee Roth vs. Steven Tyler  (Read 3155 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Axl Rose vs. David Lee Roth vs. Steven Tyler
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2021, 12:58:53 PM »
Not just diving in to attack a fan but also ended the show VERY early with an angry rant and blamed the venue security for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2021, 01:05:50 PM »
just so I'm clear here in my posts I was specifically referring more to modern GnR shows where he's literally napping or watching TV or something, not in the very obvious case of the St. Louis riots where he stage dived to get in that ass, but in that case yeah I'm 100% with king in that he incited that for sure
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2021, 01:17:12 PM »

axl is the greatest frontman in rock and roll history imo, and honestly, part of that *is* because of the violence that erupted in gnr shows. there is a danger i want in my rock and roll frontmen and axl embodies(embodied?) that 100%, more than a lot of metal musicians even. my 2 cents

I think the punkers are most "dangerous". Axl was influenced by Johnny Rotten.

Google Richard Black from Shark Island.

I don't really see a lot of Johnny Rotten in Axl; I've got to think about that one.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2021, 01:19:52 PM »
I have always held that DLR might be a bit of a joke today, but from 78-84, that man was the greatest frontman in rock history.  He was in a league all his own.   This is an easy vote for DLR. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2021, 01:20:23 PM »
If the poll was "Which of these 3 is the biggest asshole?", sure, Axl any day of the week.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »
I have always held that DLR might be a bit of a joke today, but from 78-84, that man was the greatest frontman in rock history.  He was in a league all his own.   This is an easy vote for DLR.

That's a bold statement when in those years Queen were in their pomp.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2021, 01:29:04 PM »
I went with "least worst". Can't stand DLR's shtick - I saw him back in '91 and was NOT impressed. From the tons of crap I've read about him, having never witnessed GNR live, Axl has little respect for the audience and therefore loses my vote. Saw Aerosmith only once in 2001, and while I don't remember anything exceptional about the show other than them making their way to play a "B stage" at the back of the venue during the show (and then returning to the main stage), I don't remember anything terrible about the show or Tyler either. Tyler gets my vote.

I think it's worth discussing:  Axl has a ton of disrespect for people, but I don't get disrespect for the FANS.   When he's on stage with Guns 'n' Roses, over the last ten years or so, it's been nothing BUT respect for the fans.   The G'n'R shows are what, 3 hours, 35 songs long?  And he's singing most if not all of that set with few breaks.   Yeah, he's not afraid to stand up for his "rights" (in quotes because their not rights, just his BELIEF they are his rights) but still.  When I saw the club show, it was in Philly, and it was the first time back since an "incident" there and he was very humble and took his share of responsibility.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2021, 01:39:22 PM »
Greatest rock frontmen of all time:

1. Robert Plant
2. Freddie Mercury
3. David Lee Roth
4. Paul Stanley
5. Mick Jagger
6. Bruce Dickinson (best METAL frontman of all time)
7. Bono
8. Gary Barden
9. Steven Tyler
10. Axl Rose

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2021, 01:39:28 PM »
but I don't get disrespect for the FANS.   When he's on stage with Guns 'n' Roses, over the last ten years or so, it's been nothing BUT respect for the fans.   The G'n'R shows are what, 3 hours, 35 songs long?

They has a history of being extremely late on stage (including when I saw them in 2017, London), and looking at Setlist FM they average about 24 songs per show in recent time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2021, 01:41:03 PM »
but I don't get disrespect for the FANS.   When he's on stage with Guns 'n' Roses, over the last ten years or so, it's been nothing BUT respect for the fans.   The G'n'R shows are what, 3 hours, 35 songs long?

They has a history of being extremely late on stage (including when I saw them in 2017, London), and looking at Setlist FM they average about 24 songs per show in recent time.

I haven't seen the reunion, but a close friend has three times now, and I just remember him saying it was LONG (not in a complaining way).  I thought it was 35, but it could well be 24, 25. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2021, 01:45:10 PM »

I haven't seen the reunion, but a close friend has three times now, and I just remember him saying it was LONG (not in a complaining way).  I thought it was 35, but it could well be 24, 25.

Don't get me wrong it was a great night with a strong setlist (26 songs on the night I saw them) and Axel was on good form.....but they were about 70 minutes late on stage - which is just uncalled for.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2021, 01:47:03 PM »
Steven Tyler for me.  Aerosmith was my second concert Boston Garden, 1978, I was 14.  They were fucking HUGE already.  The place was packed.  That was before they rebuilt it and I think back then it held around 17,000. 

Van Halen started in '72 (under a different name) but they didn't release their first album until 1978. 

By 1978 Aerosmith had released 5 albums all of which would go on to be gold and platinum sellers:
Aerosmith
Get Your Wings
Toys In The Attic
Rocks
Draw The Line

Guns & Roses, yeah, they have a couple of good albums and Axl Rose was a pretty good frontman/vocalist but in my opinion he doesn't have the same credentials as Steven Tyler. 

David Lee Roth was great on a couple of Van Halen albums then he did some solo stuff for a short time and then he was gone.

Yeah, gotta go with Tyler here and it's not really close at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2021, 01:48:49 PM »
Madonna is also known for often being late on stage (I am talking hours), and while I like a lot of her songs over the years, she is pretty difficult to like as a person as well.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2021, 01:51:03 PM »

1. Robert Plant
2. Freddie Mercury
3. David Lee Roth
4. Paul Stanley
5. Mick Jagger
7. Bono
8. Gary Barden
9. Steven Tyler
10. Axl Rose

Where are Daltrey, Ozzy and Morrison? And WHO is Gary Barden?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2021, 01:53:14 PM »

1. Robert Plant
2. Freddie Mercury
3. David Lee Roth
4. Paul Stanley
5. Mick Jagger
7. Bono
8. Gary Barden
9. Steven Tyler
10. Axl Rose

Good list.  I'd throw Springsteen in there, probably quite high up.  Any artist who changes up their setlist every night always gets my respect (like Pearl Jam).  I also really liked Gord Downie whenever I saw The Hip live, wonderful performer.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2021, 02:00:50 PM »
Madonna is also known for often being late on stage (I am talking hours), and while I like a lot of her songs over the years, she is pretty difficult to like as a person as well.

OK, I know I'm actually admitting that I went to a Madonna concert on a Dream Theater message board, but, well, here we go.  I went to a Madonna concert with Mrs. NoseHair, had to be about 7 or 8 years ago now and she showed up 55 minutes late and the minute she showed up the air conditioning in the Providence Civic Center was shut off on a 90-degree/95% humidity day in Providence, RI.  Within 45 minutes it had to be 85 degrees in that place.  It was awful.  About 1/3 of the audience had left by the time we bailed at 1 hour and 15 minutes, roughly.  She's notorious for this and has done it at other venues too.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »
Axl was the one who started the riot here in STL by diving into the crowd to attack a fan.  Let's not act like they just decided to riot because Axl showed up late.

Well, the people of Montreal thought differently.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »

OK, I know I'm actually admitting that I went to a Madonna concert on a Dream Theater message board, but, well, here we go.  I went to a Madonna concert with Mrs. NoseHair, had to be about 7 or 8 years ago now and she showed up 55 minutes late and the minute she showed up the air conditioning in the Providence Civic Center was shut off on a 90-degree/95% humidity day in Providence, RI.  Within 45 minutes it had to be 85 degrees in that place.  It was awful.  About 1/3 of the audience had left by the time we bailed at 1 hour and 15 minutes, roughly.  She's notorious for this and has done it at other venues too.

Serious question, what's the point of that?  To make the audience think they got more than they did?   

Online Adami

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2021, 02:17:21 PM »

1. Robert Plant
2. Freddie Mercury
3. David Lee Roth
4. Paul Stanley
5. Mick Jagger
7. Bono
8. Gary Barden
9. Steven Tyler
10. Axl Rose

Where are Daltrey, Ozzy and Morrison?

Living nice on your list I assume?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2021, 02:19:47 PM »

EDIT:

Quote from: Stadler

Serious question, what's the point of that?  To make the audience think they got more than they did?

The showing up late part of the turning off the air conditioning part?  She whines about the air conditioning, some bullshit about how it's bad for her skin or something  :\

As for the being late thing I think it's 100% derived from her sense of privilege because she's rich and she's Madonna.  An OG diva and she acts accordingly.  My wife and I agreed on that night that we'd never attend one of her shows again.  I didn't mind her being late but the AC thing was just obnoxious.  A gigantic FUCK YOU to everyone in the audience and people were PISSED OFF about it.

Online Adami

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2021, 02:20:22 PM »

See, this is an issue with the question and how it's interpreted. If you ignore the majority of an artist's career and focus only a select range of years, then sure you can make a huge argument for DLR or any of them. But I wanted to look at their entire career from beginning to today. DLR is just a joke these days and has been for a long time. Same with Rose. And while I'm not a huge Steven Tyler fan, the dude has been consistently either great or very good and never really became a joke outside of looking like an old woman.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2021, 02:22:07 PM »

See, this is an issue with the question and how it's interpreted. If you ignore the majority of an artist's career and focus only a select range of years, then sure you can make a huge argument for DLR or any of them. But I wanted to look at their entire career from beginning to today. DLR is just a joke these days and has been for a long time. Same with Rose. And while I'm not a huge Steven Tyler fan, the dude has been consistently either great or very good and never really became a joke outside of looking like an old woman.

Yes, this is exactly why I picked Tyler and for me he's really in a higher class than Rose or Roth. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2021, 02:22:29 PM »

1. Robert Plant
2. Freddie Mercury
3. David Lee Roth
4. Paul Stanley
5. Mick Jagger
7. Bono
8. Gary Barden
9. Steven Tyler
10. Axl Rose

Seriously, bro.  Before you start any more polls, you need to go listen to the first four Michael Schenker Group albums (he sings on three of them).   

:) :) :)

That was a joke, by the way.  I love him, but he doesn't belong there.   Bruce is a good call; I kind of forgot about him.  Elvis and Phil Collins deserve a mention too.

I'm not a fan of Morrison to start with, and I never saw - even on video - him front The Doors, so no comment.  I saw Ozzy twice and I love him for what he is, but he's not in the same league as Freddie or Robert.   I think Daltrey is in the next tier.  10 through 20, with Dio, McCartney, Bowie, Eddie Vedder.... I think you have to mention Ann Wilson, Dee Snider, and Wayne Coyne at some point as well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:33:32 PM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2021, 02:24:30 PM »

EDIT:

Quote from: Stadler

The showing up late part of the turning off the air conditioning part?  She whines about the air conditioning, some bullshit about how it's bad for her skin or something  :\

As for the being late thing I think it's 100% derived from her sense of privilege because she's rich and she's Madonna.  An OG diva and she acts accordingly.  My wife and I agreed on that night that we'd never attend one of her shows again.  I didn't mind her being late but the AC thing was just obnoxious.  A gigantic FUCK YOU to everyone in the audience and people were PISSED OFF about it.

I get the late; I've been to shows where there has been delay (Extreme, G'n'R though not as late as you'd think).  I was asking about the air conditioning.  That seems weird to me, and selfish.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2021, 02:26:57 PM »

Yes, this is exactly why I picked Tyler and for me he's really in a higher class than Rose or Roth.

You guys aren't wrong; probably more than anyone other than maybe Bruce, when you see and hear the Steve T. you see on stage today it doesn't take a lot of squinting or imagination to put yourself back to 1978.  I already said I think he's top three in how his voice as held up of any singer that was active in the 70's (Jagger and Paul Rodgers are the others, and Rodgers didn't tour nearly as much as the first two).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2021, 02:34:21 PM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2021, 02:36:40 PM »
I have to say, he was quite impressive when I saw Kiss for the very first time about 5 years ago.  Surprised the hell out of me how good he sounded and he did a fantastic job as the frontman

Online Adami

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
It is quite hard to top Freddie, but Freddie didn't have to tour into his 50's and 60's.

That said, I'd still put Hetfield on my top 3 somewhere.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2021, 02:45:26 PM »
Whoa, I completely forgot about Hetfield!

Others worthy of being mentioned:

Chris Cornell

David Coverdale

Ian Anderson

Ozzy Osbourne

Rob Halford (most range I've ever witnessed live - 4 octaves!)

Pat Travers

Bon Scott

Steve Perry

Glenn Frey/Don Henley

Lou Gramm

Dennis Deyoung

Tommy Shaw

Brad Delp

Sting

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2021, 03:06:19 PM »

1. Robert Plant
2. Freddie Mercury
3. David Lee Roth
4. Paul Stanley
5. Mick Jagger
7. Bono
8. Gary Barden
9. Steven Tyler
10. Axl Rose

Seriously, bro.  Before you start any more polls, you need to go listen to the first four Michael Schenker Group albums (he sings on three of them).   

:) :) :)

That was a joke, by the way.  I love him, but he doesn't belong there.   Bruce is a good call; I kind of forgot about him.  Elvis and Phil Collins deserve a mention too.

I'm not a fan of Morrison to start with, and I never saw - even on video - him front The Doors, so no comment.  I saw Ozzy twice and I love him for what he is, but he's not in the same league as Freddie or Robert.   I think Daltrey is in the next tier.  10 through 20, with Dio, McCartney, Bowie, Eddie Vedder.... I think you have to mention Ann Wilson, Dee Snider, and Wayne Coyne at some point as well.

But where would you put Bon Scott, Johnny Rotten, James Hetfield, David Coverdale, Anthony Kiedis and Rob Halford? Rob Halford gets the "metal god" title much more than Dickinson.

Also Ian Astbury of The Cult is a very overlooked and under-recognized frontman.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2021, 03:10:53 PM »
Whoa, I completely forgot about Hetfield!

Others worthy of being mentioned:

Chris Cornell

David Coverdale

Ian Anderson

Ozzy Osbourne

Rob Halford (most range I've ever witnessed live - 4 octaves!)

Pat Travers

Bon Scott

Steve Perry

Glenn Frey/Don Henley

Lou Gramm

Dennis Deyoung

Tommy Shaw

Brad Delp

Sting

Ronnie Van Zant?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2021, 03:47:50 PM »
Rob Halford gets the "metal god" title much more than Dickinson.
Yeah, because he gave himself that title!  :lol

Never saw Priest, so I can't really comment on him with JP, especially back in the day, but I remember seeing him with his band Halford open for Queensryche and Maiden in 2000, and I was far from impressed with Rob's stage presence. He just walked around slowly trying to put out the "metal god" vibes but looking rather bored and like an old man, even back then. Dickinson, OTOH was like a wild animal unleashed on that stage running around stirring up the crowd. That alone was enough to impress me that Dickinson is the best metal frontman out there, at least from all the bands I've seen live.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2021, 04:29:02 PM »
Steven Tyler for me.  Aerosmith was my second concert Boston Garden, 1978, I was 14.  They were fucking HUGE already.  The place was packed.  That was before they rebuilt it and I think back then it held around 17,000. 

Van Halen started in '72 (under a different name) but they didn't release their first album until 1978. 

By 1978 Aerosmith had released 5 albums all of which would go on to be gold and platinum sellers:
Aerosmith
Get Your Wings
Toys In The Attic
Rocks
Draw The Line

Guns & Roses, yeah, they have a couple of good albums and Axl Rose was a pretty good frontman/vocalist but in my opinion he doesn't have the same credentials as Steven Tyler. 

David Lee Roth was great on a couple of Van Halen albums then he did some solo stuff for a short time and then he was gone.

Yeah, gotta go with Tyler here and it's not really close at all.

So...wait.  Are you holding it against Van Halen that they "started" in 1972 but didn't release an album until 1978?  Heck...Van Halen technically "started" in 1964 when Eddie and Alex started the Broken Combs, which later became The Trojan Rubber Co., then Genesis, then Mammoth.  DLR joined in 1973, and Michael Anthony joined in 1974, which was also the year the band officially became "Van Halen."  By 1978, the band was already legendary here in SoCal, which one reason why their debut album went to #19.

The five Aerosmith albums you mentioned were released over a period of just under five years, while the first six Van Halen albums were released over a proportionally similar period of just under six years.  The five Aerosmith albums are collectively certified 19x platinum.  The six Van Halen albums are AT LEAST 34x platinum (with the two Diamond certified albums likely having sold well over 10M copies each).  So if you're going off of sales of each band's first half dozen albums, VH blows Aerosmith out of the water.  The biggest thing Aerosmith has going for it is that it rode the glam metal wave in the late 80s and earned three consecutive 7x platinum albums, whereas DLR's solo albums managed to eek out only three platinum certifications and one gold.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2021, 05:36:15 PM »

Serious question, what's the point of that? To make the audience think they got more than they did?

Based on just about everything I have heard and read about Madonna, it's probably a simple case of she doesn't know how to treat people, and that includes her fans.  Someone who cares about their fans would not repeatedly show up grossly late for concerts and keep them waiting for hours. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2021, 05:43:59 PM »
I've never heard that about Madonna. I guess that makes her a ...primadonna..  :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol