Axl Rose vs. David Lee Roth vs. Steven Tyler

Axl Rose
12 (33.3%)
David Lee Roth
9 (25%)
Steven Tyler
15 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Axl Rose vs. David Lee Roth vs. Steven Tyler  (Read 3153 times)

Offline WildRanger

Axl Rose vs. David Lee Roth vs. Steven Tyler
« on: March 03, 2021, 07:55:34 AM »
Who is the best frontman in your book out of these three?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Axl Rose vs. David Lee Roth vs. Steven Tyler
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 07:56:26 AM »
Objectively?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 07:57:02 AM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 08:00:58 AM »
None are among my favorites.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 08:03:28 AM »
None are among my favorites.

Yup. Axl is a diva and can often be a dick, I never followed Van Halen, and I don't really care for Aerosmith aside from the occasional song here and there.

Steven Tyler I assume is / was the best frontman out of the three.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 08:03:48 AM »
Perhaps David Lee Roth, in his prime.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 08:04:15 AM »
I seriously do not care for any of these three.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 08:04:38 AM »
The silliness that is about to ensue aside, I went with Steven Tyler. Axle Rose was a god but hasn’t been for a very long time. David Lee Roth was a god but became a dancing clown. Tyler has kept pretty damn consistent.

Though none of them are among my favorites.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 08:17:51 AM »
As singers, they’re all kind of not great. As entertainers/frontmen they’re all really dynamic. I’ll say Tyler is the best singer of the three.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:59:55 AM by HOF »

Online Mladen

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 08:36:13 AM »
Steven Tyler gets my vote. I've always liked his voice, and in terms of stage presence, he's always been a good frontman.

I like David's energy, but in terms of vocals, he's not particularly unique.

I've never cared about Axl at all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 08:39:35 AM »
To answer the asked question, FRONTMAN:

1. David Lee Roth
2. Steven Tyler
3. Axl Rose

It's all relative, though; I think all three are upper eschelon.

To answer the unasked question, SINGER:

1. Steven Tyler
2. Axl Rose
3. David Lee Roth

Honestly, though, I think all three are really good singers.   I've seen Steven Tyler a number of times (they used to be a "go see whenever they came through town" band when I was married to my first wife) and even in the show where he was wasted and fell off the drum riser and needed to be carried off stage, he still sounded really good in terms of delivering what was asked of him vocally.   His voice has also deteriorated a lot less than most of his peers.

I've written already about seeing Rose twice; the first time was a visceral experience and one of the best "rock concerts" in the mythological sense of the phrase that I've ever seen.  They were DANGEROUS, and there was this real feeling of "anything can and just might happen" during the show.    The second time - on the Chinese Democracy tour, in a club - was a vocal tour de force.   Over three hours, and he sang almost the entire time, at a high level.

I also think David Lee Roth is a way better singer than he gets credit for.  Not in a Presley/Pavarotti way, but he has a fairly broad range, he has a multitude of different voices, and he brings a fair amount of variety to the table.   I've seen him twice, and while both were spectacles more about the show than the technique, he still acquitted himself well, holding his own with some of the best musicians on the planet (Vai, Sheehan, Van Halen, Van Halen).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 08:58:16 AM »
Rose is (somewhat or largely) responsible for inciting numerous riots to his antics on stage, which is something a great frontman should not do. Therefore, he is disqualified from this conversation.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 09:11:02 AM »
I was going to say DLR but after seeing him at rib fest around 15 years ago he was absolute shit.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 09:13:27 AM »
I'm a huge fan of all three, but for my money, Tyler is a personal, all-time top-5 frontman/singer—that dude just exudes music and attitude from every pore of his body.

(they all do, obviously, but Steve's body of work is, in my opinion, pretty unparalleled)

That being said, a GNR, Aerosmith, VH (assuming Roth stayed) bill circa 1987 would've been a dream concert for me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 09:14:49 AM »
Rose is (somewhat or largely) responsible for inciting numerous riots to his antics on stage, which is something a great frontman should not do. Therefore, he is disqualified from this conversation.

it's okay to point out what an asshole he has been but to say that disqualifies him from this discussion is utterly ridiculous because he is still an incredible frontman whether you like him or not, whether he beat up a fan in the crowd or not. he's still the band's singer and voice and pretty much has run the show for almost 30 years.

axl is the greatest frontman in rock and roll history imo, and honestly, part of that *is* because of the violence that erupted in gnr shows. there is a danger i want in my rock and roll frontmen and axl embodies(embodied?) that 100%, more than a lot of metal musicians even. my 2 cents
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 09:22:09 AM »
Based on volume of songs that I like, it's DLR  >> Tyler >> ∞ >> Rose, but being a "frontman" involves more than just the singing.  I saw DLR solo, and it was ok (I was basically dragged to DLR and Poison by a girl I was sort of dating and who liked me more than I liked her).  I saw GNR open for the Stones, but I remember nothing at all about the GNR set.  Never seen Aerosmith live.

Still...going with DLR.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 09:26:35 AM »

I also think David Lee Roth is a way better singer than he gets credit for.  Not in a Presley/Pavarotti way, but he has a fairly broad range, he has a multitude of different voices, and he brings a fair amount of variety to the table.   

I would say exactly the same for Geddy Lee. I think all people who call him a bad vocalist (even "one of the worst ever") are absolutely wrong. I get not digging his singing but it doesn't mean he is a bad vocalist. He has a very good and broad vocal capabilities.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 09:36:29 AM »

axl is the greatest frontman in rock and roll history imo, and honestly, part of that *is* because of the violence that erupted in gnr shows. there is a danger i want in my rock and roll frontmen and axl embodies(embodied?) that 100%, more than a lot of metal musicians even. my 2 cents

I think the punkers are most "dangerous". Axl was influenced by Johnny Rotten.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »

I think the punkers are most "dangerous".

yeah some of the punk dudes are ridiculously wild too, to be fair
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 09:58:34 AM »
He was only dangerous because he's show up late for the shows and piss off his fans.  Axel Blows.

Honestly all 3 tried to derail their careers unconsciously.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »
He was only dangerous because he's show up late for the shows and piss off his fans.  Axel Blows.

Honestly all 3 tried to derail their careers unconsciously.

well, no. he'd piss off his fans by being late, but that doesn't make him dangerous. fans throwing bottles and rioting because he's late are the dangerous things. axl was dangerous because he's a volatile hothead with a temper and a chip on his shoulder about a lot of things, and bit calvin klein's leg.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 11:19:47 AM »
That's my point. His actions were dangerous.   Fans wouldn't act out if he acted appropriately.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 11:21:17 AM »
That's my point. His actions were dangerous.   Fans wouldn't act out if he acted appropriately.

But placing the dangerous label on Axl for that seems to imply that the people who made a conscious choice to be violent are absolved of blame which implies they aren't in control of their actions which is not true. The people who are violent are dangerous. You're not dangerous just cause you're an asshole.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 11:39:06 AM »
Actions have consequences.   His selfish actions lead to violence.   Sure he physically didn't do it but he is equally to blame.

It's not like he was hurt or sick and couldn't go.  It was a selfish move. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 11:43:19 AM »
Actions have consequences.   His selfish actions lead to violence.   Sure he physically didn't do it but he is equally to blame.

Right but that doesn't justify any violence whatsoever. I guess that's where we'll have to agree to disagree because I only blame Axl for the anger and frustration but I don't see that as inherently dangerous. But those people chose to do what they did instead of being civil.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2021, 11:47:27 AM »
I went with "least worst". Can't stand DLR's shtick - I saw him back in '91 and was NOT impressed. From the tons of crap I've read about him, having never witnessed GNR live, Axl has little respect for the audience and therefore loses my vote. Saw Aerosmith only once in 2001, and while I don't remember anything exceptional about the show other than them making their way to play a "B stage" at the back of the venue during the show (and then returning to the main stage), I don't remember anything terrible about the show or Tyler either. Tyler gets my vote.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2021, 11:58:58 AM »

Right but that doesn't justify any violence whatsoever. I guess that's where we'll have to agree to disagree because I only blame Axl for the anger and frustration but I don't see that as inherently dangerous. But those people chose to do what they did instead of being civil.

Do you blame Trump for inciting the riot at Capitol?  Obviously he's not directly involved but his poor actions (I'm being generous in calling them poor) lead to idiots rioting.  I'm just pointing out his poor behavior and I think you would agree his behavior was the downfall of GnR. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2021, 12:17:35 PM »

Do you blame Trump for inciting the riot at Capitol?  Obviously he's not directly involved but his poor actions (I'm being generous in calling them poor) lead to idiots rioting.  I'm just pointing out his poor behavior and I think you would agree his behavior was the downfall of GnR.

Bro you're comparing Trump saying "take back our country" and "fight like hell" and spreading lies about democracy to Axl being late because he was taking a nap. I don't think that's dangerous. I'm not gonna absolve the crowd of blame because they're too immature to behave when things happen they don't like. Simple as that. I blame Axl for taking his sweet time but that is not 'incitement.' Incitement implies active encouragement and provocation, neither of which Axl does because he literally has no presence or involvement anywhere until he is on the stage. For the record I'm not trying to come off as argumentative, I think there's just a clear distinction with the words and context here that I find important. I mean I guess one COULD theoretically argue that not doing anything is in itself a form of provocation but meh I don't

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2021, 12:21:09 PM »
In their respective primes I'm going with Dave. He was perfect at what he did, and what he did seemed more accessible. All three bands had an image, one that involved a ridiculous amount of partying, and all three singers projected that image.  At the same time, only Dave made it seem cool. Tyler/Perry were just junkies. Axl was simply an asshole. At no point would I have ever wanted to be Tyler or Rose. Ever. Dave made his image something to be envious of. At least in the early 80s when I was a young and impressionable partying-teenager.

For people who weren't around for it, read up on or watch a video about MTV's Lost Weekend with Van Halen. They actually awarded as a prize a weekend hanging with VH during the1984 tour, and it looked like a fantastic trip. Why didn't they send people off to party with Aerosmith or GnR? Because it would have been morbidly depressing and potentially fatal.

See, that was also my first thought on the subject. Yet I came to the opposite conclusion. This is rock and roll. There should be that element of danger involved. Now, as has been stated, Rose's behavior just came from being a dick, and not from a sense of Rock and Roll attitude, and that blows it for him. Not the actual riots, though.

The other night I was [once again] pondering who the first rock singer/band was. Inevitably I decide it's either Little Richard or Jerry Lee Lewis. There had been people doing the same sorts of things they were, but they brought balls, or in LR's case, attitude into their gig. Big Mama Thornton was doing her trip years before either of them, but there was nothing threatening about her. LR, certainly in part because he was black, and JLL, entirely because he was a crazy fuck, would have scared the bejeezus out of the adults at the time. I think when it's all said and done, that sort of attitude is probably the defining characteristic of R&R, and somebody dangerous like Rose deserves some props for it, even if it was for the wrong reason.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2021, 12:29:07 PM »

Bro you're comparing Trump saying "take back our country" and "fight like hell" and spreading lies about democracy to Axl being late because he was taking a nap. I don't think that's dangerous. I'm not gonna absolve the crowd of blame because they're too immature to behave when things happen they don't like. Simple as that. I blame Axl for taking his sweet time but that is not 'incitement.' Incitement implies active encouragement and provocation, neither of which Axl does because he literally has no presence or involvement anywhere until he is on the stage. For the record I'm not trying to come off as argumentative, I think there's just a clear distinction with the words and context here that I find important. I mean I guess one COULD theoretically argue that not doing anything is in itself a form of provocation but meh I don't

You are getting tied up in semantics.  His action led to people rioting.  If he shows up on time there is no riot. That's all.  no big deal.  Don't get tied up because he didn't say works to incite doesn't mean that he's off the hook.

And El Barto is right.  Alex was just being a dick.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2021, 12:33:13 PM »

You are getting tied up in semantics.  His action led to people rioting.  If he shows up on time there is no riot. That's all.  no big deal.  Don't get tied up because he didn't say works to incite doesn't mean that he's off the hook.

And El Barto is right.  Alex was just being a dick.  :lol

You say that like it's not important, but I find semantics extremely important and actually do agonize over the correct choice of words because all words have meaning. I don't like the notion that I'm overthinking this when I think there's a lot to consider. This is an interesting topic to me and we don't just have to come to an agreement for it to be a good, thought provoking conversation. Neither of us is 'right' about this - I just believe in my perspective more.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2021, 12:42:17 PM »
I seriously do not care for any of these three.

Yea I really do not like Axl Rose and the other two have never done anything for me at all. Where's the option to vote for Bieber?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2021, 12:49:49 PM »
It's ok Mike.  I understand what you are saying.  I think actions are just as important as words. 

Now if I hard to pick a singer it would be Dave until after his 2nd solo album.  He was a leading man in a movie that was a concert stage.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2021, 12:56:33 PM »
Axl was the one who started the riot here in STL by diving into the crowd to attack a fan.  Let's not act like they just decided to riot because Axl showed up late.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2021, 12:57:38 PM »
Axl was the one who started the riot here in STL by diving into the crowd to attack a fan.  Let's not act like they just decided to riot because Axl showed up late.

I forgot about that.  Yeah, I remember him violently diving in.