Author Topic: TIL Kevin Moore is a Psychiatrist  (Read 10229 times)

Offline Lupton

Re: TIL Kevin Moore is a Psychiatrist
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2021, 02:17:31 AM »
I'm not so sure every single line wrote by a lyricist is to be taken literally and at face value.......

Unless of course you're Phil Collins when at least some of the lyrics should be  ;)

Offline HOF

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2021, 07:22:12 AM »
I'm not so sure every single line wrote by a lyricist is to be taken literally and at face value.......

I think we’re all just having some fun with KM’s unexpected career move.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2021, 09:24:03 AM »

Unless of course you're Phil Collins when at least some of the lyrics should be  ;)

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lupton

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2021, 11:25:25 AM »

Indeed. He's found a new career where he can talk about lifelong mistakes to his heart's content and he doesn't even need to tell anyone's stepfather he said so.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2021, 11:59:46 AM »
As much as I am really enjoying all the lyrical references, on a serious note I am wondering if this means he is done with music now? No more OSI, soundtracks or solo projects ever?

I’m guessing he hasn’t said anything publicly on the subject, but does anyone know if he’s worked on anything musical since his medical studies began?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2021, 12:44:10 PM »
As much as I am really enjoying all the lyrical references, on a serious note I am wondering if this means he is done with music now? No more OSI, soundtracks or solo projects ever?

I’m guessing he hasn’t said anything publicly on the subject, but does anyone know if he’s worked on anything musical since his medical studies began?

In 2013, Ray Alder gave an interview relating to Fates Warning's album Darkness in a Different Light, for which Moore contributed lyrics for one song.  The interviewer asked where Moore was/was he still in Turkey, and Alder responded, "He’s in America now; he’s going to be a doctor. He’s in his third year of medical school."  http://deadrhetoric.com/features/fates-warning-quite-a-bit-left-to-say/2/

Chroma Key has a Patreon page ( https://www.patreon.com/chromakey ) with two posts of music in February 2021, one from February 2020, and a bunch of stuff from 2019, so it seems like he hasn't completely abandoned music.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2021, 01:41:24 PM »

For those interested in staying abreast of Kevin's solo efforts and guest appearances, I recommend visiting The Mooreatoritum (www.themooreatorium.com). :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 09:58:53 PM »
He's in Minot, North Dakota. Talk about getting away from almost everything!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2021, 01:58:25 AM »
He's in Minot, North Dakota. Talk about getting away from almost everything!

When I'm bored I do some Google Maps stalking in various parts of the world. They have a norwegian-style old church there  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2021, 07:10:27 AM »
What does "TIL" mean in the thread subject?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2021, 07:15:04 AM »

"Today I Learned"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2021, 08:00:29 AM »

Had to double check that TAC didn’t post this.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2021, 08:59:08 AM »

HAHAHA. I thought that while writing it.   :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2021, 09:16:02 AM »
Oh my
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2021, 09:19:56 AM »
For whatever reason, I imagine him still driving the same sort of car he drove in the making of I&W videos (some sort of white compact car with a bra on the front).

Offline HOF

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2021, 09:55:54 AM »

HAHAHA. I thought that while writing it.   :)

I'm dumb and thought it meant "truth in life."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2021, 10:02:21 AM »
Imagine a guy who will never be open again, taking on a career that encourages people to be open.  :eek  :lol

Hey, sooner or later you get up off the floor. Usually when no one wants to hear it anymore.

Cause no one wants to hear that shit.

Unless, it's his mother's radio.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline HOF

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2021, 10:49:49 AM »
Imagine a guy who will never be open again, taking on a career that encourages people to be open.  :eek  :lol

Hey, sooner or later you get up off the floor. Usually when no one wants to hear it anymore.

I was worried no one else was going to get that reference!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2021, 11:16:29 AM »

Well count me as one who didn't the reference but then again no one got my "take this for the pain" reference.  :yeahright

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »

SOS is one of my favorite songs of Chroma Key. Just love that beat, and vibe.

Some of his recent Patreon demos have this same vibe.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline HOF

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2021, 11:35:11 AM »

Yeah, that's a favorite from Chroma Key for sure. I lost track of his stuff after Graveyard Mountain Home. If he's back to doing stuff like SOS I may have to check that out.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2021, 09:36:21 PM »

Yeah, that's a favorite from Chroma Key for sure. I lost track of his stuff after Graveyard Mountain Home. If he's back to doing stuff like SOS I may have to check that out.

It's some quite diverse stuff...Some sound like OSI style, and others like how each album sounds. Like Elephant Boy reminds me of Graveyard Mountain Home and OSI blended together.

I personally think it's worth the price for just how much he has put out. Because you get access to all of his past Patreons. It's a cool idea, because I forgot and didn't change my card info so it cancelled me, so I went back to change it and still got access to the stuff I missed that he released, which was quite a lot.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2021, 10:16:49 PM »
Lol that picture tho...

Not exactly the mug of a guy you want to talk out your daddy issues with...amirite?

Since he mentions something in his bio I’m actually going to guess he’s probably not all that sensitive about his time in DT and would probably be chill about a patient/client mentioning it as long as your weren’t completely “fanboy-ing” out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 10:23:41 PM by Volante99 »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2021, 11:04:31 PM »
Lol that picture tho...

Not exactly the mug of a guy you want to talk out your daddy issues with...amirite?

Since he mentions something in his bio I’m actually going to guess he’s probably not all that sensitive about his time in DT and would probably be chill about a patient/client mentioning it as long as your weren’t completely “fanboy-ing” out.

He'd likely say "I see you have an intense infatuation with me?"   :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2021, 02:15:27 AM »

I don't know how big is the pool of people that are simultaneously DT fans, living in North Dakota and close enough to the actual town to be referred to him if needed.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2021, 08:16:14 AM »

I don't know how big is the pool of people that are simultaneously DT fans, living in North Dakota and close enough to the actual town to be referred to him if needed.

Which may be why he's there.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2021, 09:57:02 AM »

Could be.  Minot has a population of about 48,000, and you have to go more than 100 miles to find a more populous city.  The pool in question (in the shape of a heart no doubt) ain't likely too big.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »

Could be.  Minot has a population of about 48,000, and you have to go more than 100 miles to find a more populous city.  The pool in question (in the shape of a heart no doubt) ain't likely too big.

Perhaps not, but even so it’s hard to imagine he hasn’t had at least one or two patients referred to him that have some awareness of his past. Or at least, who have heard Pull Me Under at some point in their lives...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2021, 04:36:16 PM »

Perhaps not, but even so it’s hard to imagine he hasn’t had at least one or two patients referred to him that have some awareness of his past. Or at least, who have heard Pull Me Under at some point in their lives...

Who knows, but it's not like DT or any of its current or former members are household names among the general public.  My wife has heard PMU many times, but she wouldn't have the first clue who JP is, much less KM.  I work with a guy who knows DT marginally (meaning he knows PMU from way back and knows SFAM because I lent it to him prior to the concert that I talked him into to going to).  He knows JR and JP from Facebook but wouldn't have a clue who KM was.  Also, while I hate to admit this, PMU was nearly 30 years old.

My guess would be that the most that might have happened is that a patient noticed the reference in the bio to a music career and asked him, "Anyone I might have heard of?"  To which KM might respond with either, "no," or, "we had a song called Pull Me Under back in the 90s you might have heard."

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2021, 08:16:38 AM »
Cool on him for pursuing and aiming to achieve. I can see an appointment going like this, though:

“So what brings you in to my office today?”

“Well, I saw that you had a pencil and a pad of paper and I thought, ‘What the fuck...’”

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2021, 10:04:21 AM »
Cool on him for pursuing and aiming to achieve. I can see an appointment going like this, though:

“Well, I saw that you had a pencil and a pad of paper and I thought, ‘What the fuck...’”

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2021, 01:03:48 AM »

Indeed. He's found a new career where he can talk about lifelong mistakes to his heart's content and he doesn't even need to tell anyone's stepfather he said so.

Nice

Also nice
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline badger

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2021, 06:19:50 PM »
and to think I could have ran across him when he was going to medical school in Des Moines.
When did we all let you down?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2021, 07:31:51 AM »
"Hey doc, I'm a Silent Man, but I'm Learning to Live with being Awake Another Day, and I feel Surrounded, Scarred, and Caught In A Web when I look in The Mirror and see the Lie that my Space Dye Vest doesn't Take The Time to Pull Me Under A Glass Moon and Light Fuse and Get Away. It's Only A Matter of Time before The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun bring me to the Afterlife and Voices in my head tell me dance to the Ytse Jam while Images and Words are running through my head... Can you help me??"

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2021, 12:27:34 PM »
Good on him for pursuing it.  He's reinvented himself.

That pic though... thought you guys were being dramatic, but I feel like he's staring into my soul.  I bet all his patients stare at the ceiling, and try not to think.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar