Author Topic: Bridges In The Sky: Appreciation Thread  (Read 22719 times)

Offline tarskian

Re: Bridges In The Sky: Appreciation Thread
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2016, 01:08:12 PM »
Apologies for dredging this thread up, but I wanted to ask a question to those of you who have knowledge about the nuts and bolts of this song.

One of the things that I really like about BiTS is the super-deep bass during the "Sun, come shine my way..." verse of the song. On my audio setup it sounds really delicious, and deeper and fuller than most anything that JM has done on prior albums (one possible exception: Another Day). It sounds somewhat comparable to when JM uses the Moog Taurus 3, especially on Illumination Theory during the "We seek to understand..." section. This could totally be an artifact of my audio setup, or maybe I'm just imagining things, but to me it sounds like there's more than just JM's bass going on here (and also more than JP just going really deep on the 7-string). On LaLP JM isn't using the Moog in this section, but that doesn't mean that he didn't use it in the studio.

Anyways, if anyone could explain the super-deep bass in this section, I'd appreciate it. If you think I'm just hearing things and need to get my ears checked, I suppose that'd also be helpful, lol.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:14:48 PM by tarskian »

Offline Metaldude

« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2021, 09:13:36 PM »
My first post in the DT forums and I post it in honor of my favourite DT song.
I have only been listening to DT for about a year and have not even heard all their songs yet but they have stolen the #1 spot on my music sphere from Metallica.
I just love this Bridges in the Sky - has a magical spiritual quality to it and that is punctuated mostly by "To the power of the earth I'm calling..."
Breaking all Illusions is also a masterpiece.
JP is the most inventive and creative lead I have heard since Tony Iommi.
Amazing.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2021, 10:03:43 PM »
I have only been listening to DT for about a year and have not even heard all their songs yet but they have stolen the #1 spot on my music sphere from Metallica.
I just love this Bridges in the Sky - has a magical spiritual quality to it and that is punctuated mostly by "To the power of the earth I'm calling..."
Amazing.

Enjoy the ride!! I am 5 years in,
...and DT also usurped Metallica for me. To this day, it is still hard for me to want to listen to any other band.
It is so awesome to have this great catalog of music - none of which sounds the same!. JP's guitar evokes emotions in me that have no name.
In my 5 years, I have seen them 7 times, gone to 3 VIP's, hosted a pre-show fan club meet up and 1 aftershow :o.
I recommend Scenes from a Memory if you haven't listened. Other than that, everyone loves different songs and albums (ok Images and Words too).  Rock on!  :metal

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2021, 05:24:59 AM »
Amazing.
one of my alltime favourites by DT as well. ADTOE and DT12 are my alltime favourite albums by DT to date. Precision galore.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2021, 06:56:16 AM »
It's got a nice chorus.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White