Author Topic: Bill Burr Appreciation Thread  (Read 7247 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Bill Burr Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2021, 10:59:08 AM »
Colbert just comes off as arrogant, thinking he's smarter than everyone else. Idk if that's his actual personality or just his character (he definitely played it up during his Colbert Report days) but he comes off as unlikeable to me.

Totally Agree. One of the more condescending personalities out there.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2021, 12:20:37 PM »
But he can't have it both ways; he's distanced himself from his previous "Daily Show" character, who was purposefully condescending, but that characteristic has remained.

I guess it wasn't acting back then.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2021, 05:31:54 PM »
Colbert is too "woke" to be able to deal with a guy like Burr.  Conan knows how to deal with it.  He just lets him go and knows when to throw something out there that either brings it down a little or gets Burr going even more.  It's like watching two dance partners perfectly in synch with one another.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2021, 06:21:43 PM »
Colbert is too "woke" to be able to deal with a guy like Burr.  Conan knows how to deal with it.  He just lets him go and knows when to throw something out there that either brings it down a little or gets Burr going even more.  It's like watching two dance partners perfectly in synch with one another.

The problem is that Colbert is too “woke” to realize that Bill is the ACTUAL woke one. Everything Bill says, no matter how controversial and off-color it may seem at face value, comes from a place of perspective when you take more than one second to think about it. Colbert is too reactionary to actually process what Bill is saying.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:51:49 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Mladen

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2021, 07:23:55 AM »
I'm a fan of both Colbert and Conan, but yeah, Colbert didn't quite know how to handle Bill and, probably as a result, Bill never came back. I wish Colbert found a way to balance out the act once he realized his audience isn't going along with it. Conan helps Bill get back up once the audience seems to start hating on him.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2021, 10:04:38 PM »
I've been on a binge of Bill Burr on Conan lately and these short clips are such a great laugh, what really makes these clips is how Conan cannot hold back and is laughing like crazy. I truly think Conan brings out the best rants out of Bill when he's on his show.

This Oprah rant by Bill is probably a top 5 Bill rant for me. Conan is just dying here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9YL04v-J5U&ab_channel=TeamCoco
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2021, 11:08:35 PM »
That clip is great. There are so many of them. I’ve been listening to his podcast a lot. Just a lot of off the cuff stuff about nothing. Just him talking for an hour each week. It’s entertaining enough

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2021, 06:52:06 AM »
I've been on a binge of Bill Burr on Conan lately and these short clips are such a great laugh, what really makes these clips is how Conan cannot hold back and is laughing like crazy. I truly think Conan brings out the best rants out of Bill when he's on his show.

This Oprah rant by Bill is probably a top 5 Bill rant for me. Conan is just dying here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9YL04v-J5U&ab_channel=TeamCoco

Damn you, Faizoff.  I'm now going down that rabbithole, and I have my annual review here in two hours.  "Achievements?  Uh, boss, I watched five Bill Burr clips this morning!"

Offline faizoff

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2021, 06:55:10 AM »
haha believe me I've been going down that rabbit hole for several days now and that YouTube algorithm doesn't help with constantly suggesting more Bill clips.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2021, 07:08:05 AM »
I'm like seven in now.  The rants on Black Friday and Canada are especially good.

EDIT:   Sorry, I promise I won't keep doing this, but this is mandatory viewing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2021, 07:21:22 AM »
I don't even need to look up the Black Friday and Canada one, I know exactly which ones those are. And the linked clip is gold!

My suggested clips are outta control!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:26:36 AM by faizoff »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2021, 08:36:06 PM »
Bill Burr coming through St. Louis in September. Grabbing some tix in the morning  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2021, 09:04:16 PM »
Bill Burr coming through St. Louis in September. Grabbing some tix in the morning  :metal

Hey, me too!  Had no idea, but an old work buddy I rarely see anymore texted me about it earlier and is getting us tickets in the morning.  :tup :tup

Offline faizoff

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2021, 09:09:37 PM »
Just checked and he's coming to FL as well about 4 hours away from me..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2021, 07:09:18 AM »
I've gone through three separate Bill Burr "rabbitholes" this week alone.  The guy is hilarious.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2021, 04:48:16 PM »
Have spent many nights doing the same. I mentioned before, but I love the Black people reaction videos to his stuff. Hilarious.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2021, 05:14:55 PM »
I saw him in his early days in the 90's and then in 2018. Man always updates his work. His craft is as sharp as it was 30 years ago.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2021, 05:23:20 PM »
Update.....the $70 were literally the last row of the theater. Top of the top. That $70 is pre tax and fees as well.....so, we decided to pass. It’s a bummer....but gonna have to stick to YouTube clips and tv specials.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2021, 05:39:43 AM »
Completely understandable.

Thank you, but no...it's actually insane. :lol

I don't know, Mrs. TAC is pretty awesome. Put in your shoes, I might have given up an adult life of watching movies and popular TV to hang with her. But you're right, I suppose, that's pretty insane.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »
Update.....the $70 were literally the last row of the theater. Top of the top. That $70 is pre tax and fees as well.....so, we decided to pass. It’s a bummer....but gonna have to stick to YouTube clips and tv specials.

That sucks.  Ours ended costing $101 for tickets on the floor.  A little pricey, but what the heck, I haven't been to a concert or any kind of live event since 2019, so I view this as money set aside for ones I would have gone to already.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2021, 11:09:48 AM »
Completely understandable.

Thank you, but no...it's actually insane. :lol

I don't know, Mrs. TAC is pretty awesome. Put in your shoes, I might have given up an adult life of watching movies and popular TV to hang with her. But you're right, I suppose, that's pretty insane.  :)

She is, Gregg.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2021, 01:47:14 AM »
Bill Burr was on Conan last night. I cannot wait to dig into the clips.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2021, 04:51:59 AM »
Bill Burr was on Conan last night. I cannot wait to dig into the clips.

There's just one so far and it's classic Bill

https://youtu.be/znI046F4FKg

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2021, 05:28:07 AM »
Not quite the same without a live crowd there to react to Bill's non-PC comments, which always then gets him to react and go more over the top, but still good stuff.  :tup :tup

Offline faizoff

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2021, 05:38:36 AM »
Crowd or no crowd, Conan's reactions to Bill's comments are what makes those clips for me.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2021, 06:09:52 AM »
I can take or leave him.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline romdrums

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2021, 08:04:37 AM »
Crowd or no crowd, Conan's reactions to Bill's comments are what makes those clips for me.

I'm dyin' here!  :rollin  "We're a couple of Ron Howards sitting here."  I wish they'd do a special where Conan just sets him up for an hour or two.  It would kill!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2021, 08:47:52 AM »

I'm dyin' here!  :rollin  "We're a couple of Ron Howards sitting here."  I wish they'd do a special where Conan just sets him up for an hour or two.  It would kill!

That would possibly be the best hour of television ever.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2021, 09:25:54 AM »
Burr has been on Rogan's show a number of times if any of you are interested. They're pretty good conversations and they're really lengthy.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rogan+bill+burr

Offline Mladen

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2021, 02:51:41 PM »
I've been meaning to check out the interviews with Joe Rogan. They're usually lengthy so I never seem to find time.  :lol

The full interview with Conan is up now, however, and I did manage to watch it. My favorite line was "Everything I'm saying totally makes sense to me." The bit about Bill and Melinda Gates was also fantastic. At the end, both guys get emotional discussing how they ended up jamming a couple of years ago. Can you imagine having a clip of Conan at the guitar and Bill at the drums, just rocking out?

Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmR069qvjmg

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2021, 03:25:28 PM »
"You're playing a blacksmith.  Do you have an anvil?"

EDIT:  FROM 21:24 TO ABOUT 22:00.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:44:55 PM by Stadler »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2021, 09:15:37 PM »
And the full interview is up. Vintage Bill and Conan.

https://youtu.be/CmR069qvjmg

Offline darkshade

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2021, 06:05:10 AM »
He's the George Carlin of our time, though not as clever as George, but almost as funny.

He essentially says what rational thinking Americans wish they could say in public.

Not a fan of his podcasts, but his original stand up specials are some of the funniest routines. Same with when he appears on Conan. He always has Conan cracking up. It's like Rodney Dangerfield when he appeared on Johnny Carson (not that I'm that old, I just watch youtube.) he had the host and guests cracking up uncontrollably.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2021, 07:04:09 AM »
He's the George Carlin of our time, though not as clever as George, but almost as funny.

He essentially says what rational thinking Americans wish they could say in public.

Not a fan of his podcasts, but his original stand up specials are some of the funniest routines. Same with when he appears on Conan. He always has Conan cracking up. It's like Rodney Dangerfield when he appeared on Johnny Carson (not that I'm that old, I just watch youtube.) he had the host and guests cracking up uncontrollably.

I think he's easily as clever as Carlin and without a doubt funnier. Carlin seemed to become a bit too preachy to me.

I also couldn't sit through Burr's podcast. I started it once..He's just a better performer. The podcast..I don't understand or have the time to sit through any podcast, really.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2021, 07:16:28 AM »

I think he's easily as clever as Carlin and without a doubt funnier. Carlin seemed to become a bit too preachy to me.

I also couldn't sit through Burr's podcast. I started it once..He's just a better performer. The podcast..I don't understand or have the time to sit through any podcast, really.

I'm a fan of Carlin, but I think Burr is navigating murkier waters and is just as funny.  It was, if not "easy", then straightforward to mock corporations, and the War, and censorship.   But how to mock the cancel culture, or some of the political divisiveness when it's your very position that is at issue?