Author Topic: Bill Burr Appreciation Thread  (Read 7248 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Bill Burr Appreciation Thread
« on: February 22, 2021, 03:31:52 PM »
How funny is this guy?

If you like laughing, go to YT and watch the many clips of when he is on Conan's show.  I can still watch some of those and laugh like seeing them for the first time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Bill Burr Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 03:47:00 PM »
I can never get enough of Bill. Always relevant and crafts new sets every year. Only the vest of the best are that good for that long.

Kev, need I say what you already know?  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 03:52:37 PM »
Don't get me started.  His Philly rant is ESSENTIAL listening (you have to know the back story on that).

I also like him in movies.  He was in that movie The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy; he was one of McCarthy's family members and was hilarious in the scene where McCarthy brings Bullock home with her ("From the get go?").   He was good in Crashing too.

I'm a big fan; he's probably my favorite active comedian at this point.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 03:59:06 PM »
Big fan of F is for Family. Absolutely hilarious.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 04:02:07 PM »
I got introduced to Bill's work through Conan's show and I am getting more and more familiar with his stand up over the years. The last special he put out, Paper tiger, is really good.

One of my favorite bits he ever did was the one about Oprah's interview with Lance Armstrong. "You know exactly what he's doing!"  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 04:13:13 PM »
He's great

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 05:22:55 PM »
Don't get me started.  His Philly rant is ESSENTIAL listening (you have to know the back story on that).

I listened to that a few years ago but I don't remember much of what was sad. Nasty crowd. Didn't they end up cheering for him at the end?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 05:32:46 PM »

Kev, need I say what you already know?  Lol

Which part??

One of my favorite bits he ever did was the one about Oprah's interview with Lance Armstrong. "You know exactly what he's doing!"  :lol

That kills me every time, and Conan's reactions the whole time are perfect. "Everyone, turn in your yacht." :lol :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 05:46:21 PM »
That I've seen him live 3 times. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 05:48:58 PM »

I listened to that a few years ago but I don't remember much of what was sad. Nasty crowd. Didn't they end up cheering for him at the end?

Yeah, they were being dicks, so he ripped them a new asshole. Which is basically how you get the respect of a rowdy philly crowd.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 05:54:32 PM »

Yeah, they were being dicks, so he ripped them a new asshole. Which is basically how you get the respect of a rowdy philly crowd.

LoL yeah I remembered he just shit talked back to them for like fucking 10 minutes straight  :lol
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 06:01:37 PM »
Love Bill Burr. You can go down a youtube rabbit hole with him.

He was on Mike Tyson's 'Hot Boxin' podcast. It's like two hours but it's great. I accidentally watched it all at once. Was going to break it into a few nights but it's just great. Bill's Monday morning podcast is funny as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Huq0dkD_l0
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 06:04:03 PM »
Love Bill Burr. You can go down a youtube rabbit hole with him.

That's the truth. I love watching the reaction videos of his routines, especially by Black reaction channels.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 06:08:19 PM »
That I've seen him live 3 times. :lol

Haha, I should have known.

Online faizoff

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 06:35:45 PM »
One of my favorite comedians, another huge F is for Family fan here. His podcast bit about Meshuggah's chugging riff always makes me laugh. I can't get enough of him and all his roles be it movies or TV.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 06:38:33 PM »
I've only watched his standup and his talk show interviews. I'm not familiar with any of the TV shows he's on. I've also tried his podcasts, but I couldn't get into it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 06:40:14 PM »
I still need to watch F Is For Family. I have heard great things.

The only thing I've seen him act in is Breaking Bad.

*cue Tim asking "What is Breaking Bad?"*

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 06:46:22 PM »
I've heard of Breaking Bad. I've just never seen it. :P

Online faizoff

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 07:04:53 PM »
I don't listen to his whole podcasts, I just catch clips of them here and there.

He's got some acting chops for sure, he's a comedian at heart but in his dramatic roles, he's really good.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 07:08:36 PM »
First time I ever saw him was on Chapelle's show way back. Always found him funny

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 07:54:37 PM »
I saw him in the early 2000's.  Lucky for me he was a Boston dude. Followed him early on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 07:59:35 PM »
I had never heard him until a couple of years ago.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 08:05:52 PM »

I make fun of it but you were in a different time of your life with kids.  It's easy to miss what popular being a parent. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 08:12:19 PM »

I make fun of it but you were in a different time of your life with kids.  It's easy to miss what popular being a parent.

The ironic thing is that before I met my wife, I was a pop culture expert. She had a 5 y/o when I met her, so she was already a parent. She has never watched pop TV and she has always hated going to the movies. Other than kid movies, the last movie I saw in the theaters was when I dragged her to see The Blair Witch Project. That's how long it's been since I've seen a movie.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 08:18:17 PM »
Completely understandable.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 08:23:47 PM »
Completely understandable.

Thank you, but no...it's actually insane. :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 08:24:50 PM »
I don't follow any stand-up these days, so he isn't really on my radar at all. Thought he was so good in The Mandalorian. That scene in the Imperial outpost where that officer is talking about the how the Empire will return and he is biting his tongue as best as he can before he finally loses it was great.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 09:04:28 PM »
He’s my all time favorite stand up comedian. His comedy style is insane but it comes from an informed place. He actually makes good points but does it as his signature “Angry Bostonian” character which makes it hilarious while also making the audience think.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 08:15:54 AM »

LoL yeah I remembered he just shit talked back to them for like fucking 10 minutes straight  :lol

It was a comedy tour, with a pretty decent set of comedians - Tracy Morgan, Bob Saget, Dom Irrera and Patrice O'Neal, and some local people - and the crowd was just being dicks to all the previous comedians right from the get-go.  I think it was Tracy Morgan, he actually just walked off after about five minutes.    Dom Irrera, who was right before Burr, was just SAVAGED, and I think Bill just took it on himself to stand up for the rest of the bill.

It's funny; he's been humble about it in hindsight; he admits to being angry and annoyed, and called himself "unprofessional",  but in typical Burr fashion, his only real regret is forgetting to trash the Sixers.    Interestingly, and at least in part a testament to Burr,  the crowd to some degree turned by the end.   It was mean, but it was also funny. 

(FYI, the show was actually in Camden, right over the Ben Franklin Bridge from Philly; when I lived in Philly I could see the venue from my roof.)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 10:02:10 AM »
Bill Burr is my favorite living comedian. Almost all of my other favorites are sadly dead

The Opie & Anthony Traveling Virus Tour had some mammoth names in comedy but by the third one in 2008 a lot of huge names wouldn't even do it because they were afraid of their fans (the 'pests' as they were called, the hardcore fans, and they could be absolutely vicious hecklers, as an extension of O&A's own brand of brutality). Bill's rant in 2006 didn't stop them from heckling in 2007 and 2008 though (I almost wonder if they were trying to get a Bill Burr Philly Rant 2.0), to the point where O&A themselves couldn't even get the drunk stupid pests to behave themselves so they canned the 08 tour as it was going on. I've been listening to hundreds of hours of old Opie & Anthony since the start of the year and one of the shows I just revisited was them announcing the cancellation of the tour because their fans were such dicks. That level of mean humor (Bill's rant, O&A in general) is my favorite kind of humor though. It's visceral, it's absurd, and best of all it's among friends so the burns can sting but they're in good spirit and brutally funny.

I'm actually listening to O&A now and Bill Burr is in studio. Great shows whenever he's on or anybody in that circle of comedians (Jim Norton, Rich Vos, Patrice O'Neal, Bob Kelly, etc.).

All of Bill's Netflix specials are classics, his Monday Morning Podcast is funny (I listen to it religiously), and I loved him in Breaking Bad and The Mandalorian (the TPS reports reference to Office Space, LOL)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2021, 02:31:57 PM »
That kills me every time, and Conan's reactions the whole time are perfect. "Everyone, turn in your yacht." :lol :lol :lol
That clip is also quite possibly the hardest I've ever seen Conan laugh. The only other comedians that crack him up as much are Norm Macdonald and Louis CK.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2021, 10:49:16 PM »
That clip is also quite possibly the hardest I've ever seen Conan laugh. The only other comedians that crack him up as much are Norm Macdonald and Louis CK.
Conan is the only person who should be allowed to interview Bill. Every other host is either clearly nervous about what he’s gonna say (looking at you Stephen Colbert) or tries to match his funny and fails miserably (hello Jimmy Fallon). Conan understands when Bill is on a roll and let’s him rant, clearly enjoying the free show and only interjecting with questions which allow Bill to elaborate and make even more jokes. I regularly fall down the rabbit hole of watching clips of Bill on Conan and they get me every time.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2021, 06:42:14 AM »
I've been a huge fan of his for years now discovering him on his Monday Morning Podcast, now it's one of the things I look forward to the most (along with his other podcasts "Bill & Bert Podcast" & "Anything Better?")

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2021, 07:23:19 AM »
Conan is the only person who should be allowed to interview Bill. Every other host is either clearly nervous about what he’s gonna say (looking at you Stephen Colbert) or tries to match his funny and fails miserably (hello Jimmy Fallon). Conan understands when Bill is on a roll and let’s him rant, clearly enjoying the free show and only interjecting with questions which allow Bill to elaborate and make even more jokes. I regularly fall down the rabbit hole of watching clips of Bill on Conan and they get me every time.

Not for nothing, but MOO, Stephen Colbert ruins almost any interview he's given.   Unwatchable to me.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2021, 10:57:18 AM »
Not for nothing, but MOO, Stephen Colbert ruins almost any interview he's given.   Unwatchable to me.
Colbert just comes off as arrogant, thinking he's smarter than everyone else. Idk if that's his actual personality or just his character (he definitely played it up during his Colbert Report days) but he comes off as unlikeable to me. He also seems scared when anybody says something that might even be remotely controversial, which is not ideal for when someone like Burr comes on the show.

-MirrorMask