Author Topic: "Isn't this where we came in?" in Octavarium  (Read 7221 times)

Offline Mladen

"Isn't this where we came in?" in Octavarium
« on: February 19, 2021, 10:41:56 AM »
If this isn't worth a thread, feel free to close it, I won't mind. I'd also apologize for the dumb thread.  :lol

But I have just now, after almost 15 years, heard the voice that says "Isn't this where we came in?" before LaBrie starts singing in the Full circle section. I'm not sure if it's directly sampled from Roger Waters or is ist a band member, but damn, whichever way it is, that is so cool! I've been aware of all the many nuggets and cool bits throughout the song and the entire album, but somehow I've missed this one.

Is this a common knowledge? I assume it is. If someone else is hearing it for the first time, I'm happy to share the joy.  ;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: "Isn't this where we came in?" in Octavarium
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 10:52:59 AM »
 It was for me because I was in High School and the nuggets were a thing for me and my friends. Especially the 5's, 8's, and 3's....when those numbers would pop up a lot we would go..."Ahhh...Nuggets"  :lol

What I like about that part is when it appears. When we are trapped in the 8vm, its like the artwork with the Octagon. we enter the Octavarium and then realize..."Isn't this where we came in" and then the lyrics go on to mention all these musical nuggets by connecting the words with one of my favorite creative writing ideas, linking words (Like Wheel of Fortunes Before and After category) it's why I like that section in Strangers In Your Soul as well (I made it my ringtone one time).

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 11:36:53 AM »
I thought it was common knowledge, although I thought the voice said something slightly different.  What does it have to do with Roger Waters?

In any event, there was a very brief time when I edited Wikipedia articles, and this was one I did some work on -- particularly the full circle section.

The other one that I think is cool is during the "Intervals" section where MP runs through the scale degrees (root, first, second, . . . octave) as JLB sings a line that refers to each song on the album.  I understand a clip from each song also plays in the background, but I've never been able to hear them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 11:41:35 AM »
I thought it was common knowledge, although I thought the voice said something slightly different.  What does it have to do with Roger Waters?

In any event, there was a very brief time when I edited Wikipedia articles, and this was one I did some work on -- particularly the full circle section.

The other one that I think is cool is during the "Intervals" section where MP runs through the scale degrees (root, first, second, . . . octave) as JLB sings a line that refers to each song on the album.  I understand a clip from each song also plays in the background, but I've never been able to hear them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcfO_UGxqhU

The Wall starts with "We came in" and ends with "Isn't this where", forming the phrase "Isn't this where we came in" if you loop the album.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 11:42:53 AM »
It was for me because I was in High School and the nuggets were a thing for me and my friends. Especially the 5's, 8's, and 3's....when those numbers would pop up a lot we would go..."Ahhh...Nuggets"  :lol

What I like about that part is when it appears. When we are trapped in the 8vm, its like the artwork with the Octagon. we enter the Octavarium and then realize..."Isn't this where we came in" and then the lyrics go on to mention all these musical nuggets by connecting the words with one of my favorite creative writing ideas, linking words (Like Wheel of Fortunes Before and After category) it's why I like that section in Strangers In Your Soul as well (I made it my ringtone one time).

WOW - sounds like the very definition of a concept album to me.  :hat

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 12:13:44 PM »

WOW - sounds like the very definition of a concept album to me.  :hat

:lol

It is very thematic at that. Even the artwork plays with this concept. Like the octopus. Me and my friends had a field day with it...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 12:15:16 PM »
I knew about it.......but it's always nice to discover nuggets like that.  even after years.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 12:29:34 PM »

Side bar, I still occasionally edit Wiki articles.  Drives me crazy when they read like press releases or pseudo-intellectual nonsense. I spent a good hour the other week editing like five album pages from... I think it was Saga. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 03:56:39 PM »

Side bar, I still occasionally edit Wiki articles.  Drives me crazy when they read like press releases or pseudo-intellectual nonsense. I spent a good hour the other week editing like five album pages from... I think it was Saga.

I think the thing that drove me away was that a simple concept -- "minor scale," I believe -- was defined with reference to about six different terms of art that wouldn't be understood by any non-musician seeking basic information about this basic term.  I posted on the talk page about excessive use of jargon and was quickly pummeled into submission.  Just not worth it to deal with that sort of thing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 08:33:15 PM »
The other one that I think is cool is during the "Intervals" section where MP runs through the scale degrees (root, first, second, . . . octave) as JLB sings a line that refers to each song on the album.

Mike's parts don't add any enjoyment to me, but I do highly appreciate what they did with the main lyrics in that part. That is some great writing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline HOF

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 09:40:35 PM »
I remember when this album came out and the MP forum was all in a tizzy about Teh Nuggetz but honestly don’t think I ever picked up on any of them. I don’t recall hearing the Roger Waters thing but then again I wouldn’t have known what it was anyway (never listened to The Wall).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 10:16:48 PM »
I've always misheard it as "just medicate me" spoken very fast. I'll have to go & check now. :lolpalm:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mladen

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 04:01:50 AM »
I love that part, there are also little musical snippets from those particular songs behind every verse respectively. I am stunned that there are so many nuggets that I've been aware of for years, yet the "Isn't this where we came in?" completely went over my head.  :lol

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
I wasn't even aware of that nugget on The Wall, after countless listens, thanks for sharing! (I had to listen really closely, with headphones, to spot it, even now, after I knew it was there.)

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 10:30:04 AM »
I remember when this album came out and the MP forum was all in a tizzy about Teh Nuggetz but honestly don’t think I ever picked up on any of them. I don’t recall hearing the Roger Waters thing but then again I wouldn’t have known what it was anyway (never listened to The Wall).
You should give it a spin. It's a good album.

Offline HOF

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2021, 02:26:18 PM »

I have heard a lot of the music on The Wall of course, but haven’t ever sat down and listened to the whole thing. I probably should give it a try though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 04:04:05 PM »

I love that part, there are also little musical snippets from those particular songs behind every verse respectively. I am stunned that there are so many nuggets that I've been aware of for years, yet the "Isn't this where we came in?" completely went over my head.  :lol

Indeed, and I still haven't heard them.  By contrast, I can pretty easily hear The Battle Hymn of the Republic in the background on ITNOG.

The other one that I think is cool is during the "Intervals" section where MP runs through the scale degrees (root, first, second, . . . octave) as JLB sings a line that refers to each song on the album.

Mike's parts don't add any enjoyment to me, but I do highly appreciate what they did with the main lyrics in that part. That is some great writing.

It's a bit more audible and interesting (IMO) on the Score video.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 06:08:20 PM »

I have heard a lot of the music on The Wall of course, but haven’t ever sat down and listened to the whole thing. I probably should give it a try though.

The Wall is like the poster child for "nuggets".   Periodically, I will just put it on, and listen on headphones all the way through.  It's not my favorite album of all time, but it's a monumental work, by any standard.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 06:09:10 PM »
I simply cannot get through The Wall.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 07:21:24 PM »
What do Pink Floyd and Princess Diana have in common?

Their last big hit was the wall.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2021, 11:14:45 PM »

You've never listened to The Wall? I would strongly recommend you do, it's a masterpiece in my opinion!

Edit, I just read that you have heard music from the album - still, The Wall deserves to be listened from beginning to end  :tup
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:41:58 AM by Fritzinger »
any rock can be made to roll

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 02:13:50 AM »
I understand a clip from each song also plays in the background, but I've never been able to hear them.

That's amazing. They're not particularly buried and, if memory serves, at least a couple of them are quite dissonant.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 04:10:53 AM »
I understand a clip from each song also plays in the background, but I've never been able to hear them.

That's amazing. They're not particularly buried and, if memory serves, at least a couple of them are quite dissonant.

This thread inspired me to listen to Octavarium (the song) while walking Hudson hound this morning. The first couple of references to previous tracks are more buried in the mix than I remembered but the last three or four are quite audible.

I'd forgotten what a wonderfully well-composed tune it is.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2021, 06:45:25 AM »
I thought it was common knowledge.  I remember reading this page after the album dropped - gives a shit-ton of analysis on all the nuggets from the album.  Who knows how much of these were intentional by Mike/JP/the band vs how much were people looking for and finding something to call a 'nugget'.  https://zilikram96goblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/octavarium-analysis/

Or how much of it is just made up and not something most could/would verify (eg, the heartbeat at the end of These Walls beating at 58bpm)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2021, 09:01:03 AM »
Who knows how much of these were intentional by Mike/JP/the band vs how much were people looking for and finding something to call a 'nugget'.  https://zilikram96goblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/octavarium-analysis/

Or how much of it is just made up and not something most could/would verify (eg, the heartbeat at the end of These Walls beating at 58bpm)
Thanks for the link - took a quick peek and yeah, I'm pretty sure that a portion of the things he listed were not nuggets planted by MP, or have been stretched to fit a narrative. For example, the idea that there are 5 current members, but that there were (at the time) a total of 8 members that had been in the band excluding Chris Collins because he wasn't a part of the band when known as "Dream Theater" was a stretch, as well as the fact that the band was formed in 1985, that they performed in 8 countries on the warm up leg of the tour and that MP played 5 of the 8 songs on his Hammer of the Gods kit which was the 8th drum kit he used in his career (which is false, given that he had 2 other kits besides the purple monster (green for Europe, red for Asia), as well as multiple Siamese Monster kits) and probably other kits he used before then.

For the record, I'm pretty sure the vast majority - if not all - of those nuggets in the album were all MP's doing. I recall a post MP made years ago talking about how he, JL and I believe JR had gone out to Starbucks or somewhere, and JL was commenting about how he was struggling to remember the lyrics to the Intervals section of the title track, and MP explained that the lyrics had been based on all the songs of the album - neither JL nor JR (or whoever the other band member was) ever picked up on that!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2021, 12:52:23 PM »

You've never listened to The Wall? I would strongly recommend you do, it's a masterpiece in my opinion!

Edit, I just read that you have heard music from the album - still, The Wall deserves to be listened from beginning to end  :tup

Well, today is the day it appears. Now I know where Def Leppard got the main riff for Hysteria (Goodbye Blue Sky).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2021, 01:03:06 PM »

I can hear (to varying degrees) SOMETHING going on in the background on some of them, but none are identifiable to me.  Unfortunately, I've never blasted it on quality speakers other than in my car (where my primary focus is obviously on something else), so....

Most of the rest of the "nuggets" are not things that, in a million years, I would have noticed on my own, but some of them are kind of cool when someone tells you that they're there.  Needless to say, I'm NOT someone who really notices or looks for stuff like this.

Ok, but why should a person who has heard only about 4-5 songs on that album and thinks they suck and/or are boring, and who likes nothing he has ever heard by Pink Floyd, listen to the other 20+ tracks?  That's like saying, "oh, you hate rap, but you should listen to such and such 2-Pack album because it's a masterpiece and deserves to be listened to from beginning to end."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2021, 01:17:57 PM »

Ok, but why should a person who has heard only about 4-5 songs on that album and thinks they suck and/or are boring, and who likes nothing he has ever heard by Pink Floyd, listen to the other 20+ tracks?  That's like saying, "oh, you hate rap, but you should listen to such and such 2-Pack album because it's a masterpiece and deserves to be listened to from beginning to end."

Did HOF ever imply this? :huh:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2021, 01:44:08 PM »

My point was that, if, after 40+ years, someone hasn't listened to The Wall, it's probably because he/she doesn't like the band.

Offline HOF

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »

My point was that, if, after 40+ years, someone hasn't listened to The Wall, it's probably because he/she doesn't like the band.

So that is part of it. I’ve heard maybe a third of this before between radio stuff, bits of the movie I’ve seen, and wherever else it’s worked it’s way into popular culture. But I also have heard a good bit of other PF (I own or have previously heard all of Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals, which I’m not wild about, and then The Division Bell, which I think is great). Generally, I think Gilmour is brilliant and Waters is kind of boring. And I gathered that The Wall was more Waters’ thing, though there are certainly some great Gilmour moments here. Mostly though, it’s not an album I ever invested in owning and I may have started streaming it a time or two before but it didn’t grab me. But I do like to give things a try that are considered landmark albums or cultural touchstones just to see what they are about, so I was willing to give it a try.

Having given it a full listen just now, I can see the art in it and can connect with a lot of the themes, but a lot of it is pretty dull. Comfortably Numb is the high point, as I somewhat expected given what I knew of it going in. But there are relatively few “wow that is amazing” points throughout. May I’come back to it another time though. I suppose we should jump to a PF thread so as to not detail this one further. I’ll repost this there.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=5564.1540

Offline HOF

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 02:11:19 PM »
After all that, I didn’t even catch the line that’s referenced in Octavarium!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 02:22:52 PM »

It's right at the beginning & end of the album. In the first few seconds of In The Flesh, you can hear "...we came in" & in the last few seconds of Outside The Wall, you can here "isn't this where...". Put them together & you have the line referenced.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 02:43:05 PM »

It's right at the beginning & end of the album. In the first few seconds of In The Flesh, you can hear "...we came in" & in the last few seconds of Outside The Wall, you can here "isn't this where...". Put them together & you have the line referenced.
which makes The Wall one of these cyclical albums by Floyd, which they often did. (Dark Side, WYWH and Animals being the others)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2021, 03:04:29 PM »

Also some of Outside The Wall is heard as well...

Offline HOF

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2021, 04:06:04 PM »

Now I hear it! Now just need to spot it in Octavarium.

Edit: oh, there it is. Never would have picked that out on my own.