Poll

How do you feel about the use of harsh or growling "cookie monster" vocals in music?

I love them and wish all bands would use them
11 (10.2%)
I think they're OK
26 (24.1%)
I can take them or leave them
14 (13%)
I'm not a fan but I still listen to some bands who use them
40 (37%)
Hate them and won't listen to bands who use them
17 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Harsh or Growling Vocals - Yes or No?  (Read 7387 times)

Offline ozzy554

Re: Harsh or Growling Vocals - Yes or No?
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2021, 06:55:41 PM »
I like harsh vocals but I'm picky about it. Here is what I usually look for.

1. The singer has to be able to enunciate. I can't stand it when it just sounds like unintelligible garbage (Chris Barnes)

2. The music surrounding it has to be good.

3. At least semi-decent production.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2021, 07:05:05 PM »
Love, love, love them.

Hate, hate, hate them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2021, 07:10:32 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2021, 01:39:07 AM »
Love them, but don't want all bands to use them, that would be just stupid.

And like every other singing style, there are good ones and bad ones.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2021, 02:00:09 AM »
Yea I voted for the top option, but that's not my true feelings. I just like them more than thinking they're "ok".

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2021, 02:05:03 AM »
I'm between the fourth and the fifth option. I really, really DO NOT LIKE AT ALL harsh vocals. But I'm not an integralist about it to the point that I refuse on principle to listen to any band who uses them. I like Haggard, mainly for the symphonic stuff. I like Eluveitie, mainly for the folk side of the band. And I like also Ensiferum, especially the latest albums that are not as harsh as the first ones.

So, in the end, there are some bands where I can tolerate the harsh vocals (and never for the vocal themselves, but for the rest of the sound). All things being equal and with the RARE exception here and there (I love Twilight of the Thunder God  :metal), I absolutely and completely dislike harsh vocals and won't go anywhere near them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2021, 02:39:07 AM »
I'm not the biggest growling/screaming guy, but I absolutely love it when it's used as one of many colors:
Leprous on the whole Congregation album
Haken - The Architect (also by Einar)
Opeth - Watershed, Ghost Reveries

In some cases, I listen to bands who only (or mostly) use harsh vocals, like Meshuggah or earlier Opeth.
any rock can be made to roll

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2021, 02:45:38 AM »
I'm not really a fan of harsh vocals, but I can still listen to some early Opeth where they appear. But that's about it. I much prefer clean vocals.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2021, 03:00:14 AM »
I remember hearing Linkin Park and Slipknot when I was like 17 and HATING it! I got to a point later on though, where I realised there was just so much good music out there with harsh vocals.

As I said before, Pantera and Children of Bodom were the bands where I really forced myself to persevere with the vocals. It was plain sailing after that. I know personally for me, my ear is drawn to the guitars and drums when listening to metal, so it may be somewhat easier for me to tolerate vocals, than it is for others.

I just couldn't imagine missing out on so much good stuff because I couldn't get past the vocals. I would say, for those who find them hard to tolerate, perseverance can pay off! I'm pretty sure almost everyone who listens to harsh vocals went through that at some point!

Online gazinwales

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2021, 03:13:50 AM »
Love them to death, I just take them onboard as another instrument in the music.
Best metal growler is Tomi Joutsen from Amorphis, he is that good that you can actually understand what he is 'screaming' about.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2021, 04:08:14 AM »
For those that hate growls, why exactly do you not like them?  What is it about them you find such a turn off? You like distorted guitars, so what is the difference between that and some vocals?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2021, 04:15:50 AM »
For those that hate growls, why exactly do you not like them?  What is it about them you find such a turn off? You like distorted guitars, so what is the difference between that and some vocals?

I'm a wannabe singer. I always loved singing and that was always what I was focusing on on any song. Guitarists notice the great guitar work. Drummers focuse on that wicked and groovy pace of the rhytm. As someone interested in singing, vocals get all my attention.

Of course I do notice all the other instruments. I'm musically ignorant for all things guitar-related, but that doesn't hold me back from realizing Petrucci's greatness and admire his work, especially the more melodic ones like, for example, the solos before The Spirit Carries On live, man I could go on and on listening to him jamming away like that. But still, vocals are what make a song for me.

With harsh or growling vocals, I don't find the personal connection, the emotion and the delivery I find in clean singing. It takes away a personal connection with the singer. Yes, I know that the harshness IS an emotion. Yes, I know that they fit the nature of the song and I said above, there are selected examples of bands or songs where I don't mind at all harsh vocals. But more often than not, I cannot connect with the harsh vocals and therefore my biggest enjoyment of a song, the vocal delivery and all the nuances that come with it, comes less.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2021, 04:24:45 AM »
Fair call mate.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2021, 05:15:05 AM »
Another thing of note, in regards to harsh vocals. I think they are a great way to get out anger/frustration/stress and all other similar emotions.

I consider myself to be a chill guy, I don't really get angry or shout or anything like that. I put that down to channeling that, and getting it all out by singing/screaming along to my favourite songs (especially alone in my car). I find that it is a release that I NEED.

Some get that out by exercising or something. There are a multitude of other ways people get there emotions all out. But I wonder if a lot of the people who dig harsh vocals are like me, and get it all out that way?

I've met so many people over the years who buy into that stereotype that metal heads are angry, depressed people. It surprises some people that I listen to such angry music. Like, "You're not angry or aggressive at all!". No Karen, I'm not, and this is because of the music I listen to.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2021, 06:14:13 AM »
For me they literally only fit 1 genre and that is full-on death metal. Out of place everywhere else including any -core diarrhea.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2021, 07:04:17 AM »
As I said before, Pantera and Children of Bodom were the bands where I really forced myself to persevere with the vocals.
Given that there's so much other music out there that I have yet to explore, the *last* thing I want to do is force myself to listen to something that is repulsive to me. There's no need for me to waste my time or energy.

To a large degree, distorted guitars still have melody that is enjoyable. Cookie monster vocals do not - they are pure noise to my ears. I view music that lacks melody in the same way, which is why I cannot stand Meshuggah.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2021, 07:15:28 AM »
I generally don't like them, and I would never listen to a band because of them.  However, I also listen to multiple bands that use them, and I like them just fine in their music.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2021, 07:18:07 AM »
As I said before, Pantera and Children of Bodom were the bands where I really forced myself to persevere with the vocals.
Given that there's so much other music out there that I have yet to explore, the *last* thing I want to do is force myself to listen to something that is repulsive to me. There's no need for me to waste my time or energy.

To a large degree, distorted guitars still have melody that is enjoyable. Cookie monster vocals do not - they are pure noise to my ears. I view music that lacks melody in the same way, which is why I cannot stand Meshuggah.

This is exactly how I feel. When it is used to express anger in a moment of a song I like it.  When it's used throughout a whole song it's white noise to me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2021, 09:07:26 AM »
I'm with several people here, like Paul, Scotty and Barry.  Not a fan.   I'm not exclusive to that; I like a fair amount of Devin, but I like him less the more there are harsh/growly vocals.  I don't really like when Mike does it.   I get it as a tool, I get it as an artistic expression, but it's not my thing.

I don't see the comparison between guitars and vocals; for the vast majority of distorted guitars I like there's an underlying total warmth that is satisfying.  To the extent the guitars are harsh too, trebly, I don't like them either.   There's something gutteral about the vocals that is off-putting to me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2021, 09:20:21 AM »

I find them monotonous as there’s very little attempt at melody - it’s the metal version of rap. It alsojust sounds juvenile to me.

I can see a use for it in some circumstances, in a limited way - to represent the devil or evil or something, but extended use is a no no for me.

Every time I’ve heard growls I always wanted a vocal melody instead.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2021, 09:38:15 AM »
By the way, possibly the very worst thing DT ever did was that version of Damage, Inc. on 5YIAL.  If I recall correctly, even JM started laughing when the guy started to "sing."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2021, 10:02:21 AM »
By the way, possibly the very worst thing DT ever did was that version of Damage, Inc. on 5YIAL.  If I recall correctly, even JM started laughing when the guy started to "sing."

Barney!    When I was younger, my friend - I've written about him here before (he just found his dad) - taught at a private high school.  He took a group of kids to Montreal for a ski trip, and I went as chaparone.   Some of the kids - thinking they were being funny - brought a Napalm Death video (I don't remember if it was a boot or not; Live Corruption didn't come out until after I remember the trip being held) thinking they were going to bust our balls.   Little did they know we were both in bands, both liked metal (though not death metal) and thought it was funny.   By the end of the trip we were kind of busting their balls by making THEM play it after the novelty wore off.  :)

I won't say that's not "music", because it is but it's in my collection for completeness and for the event, not because it's a stellar version of the song.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2021, 10:05:14 AM »
Depends on the band, but for the most part, I can take 'em or leave 'em.

I will say this, there are a few examples where a well placed 'scream' (like Bruce's mega-shriek in 'Number of the Beast') can really elevate a song, but for a band to lean on growling for the majority of their catalog, I'm pretty 'meh'...it kinda all blends together.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2021, 10:16:29 AM »

not a hater of them but to answer.  More often than not they detract from a song for me rather than add.

if i hear an opening to a song and i go wow i'm diggin' this.  Then i hear. GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I go......ok we're doing this.  i loose a bit of interest in the song.

again i can overlook if i love the band.  but also if you hand me an album of al harsh vocals.  it won't get played.  i can't do it.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2021, 11:28:53 AM »
Where do you all place Gojira?
For those who don't like growls or harsh vocals, do you include Gojira there?

To me I think the vocals are strangely melodic even though they kinda fits into growling.

Offline 425

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2021, 11:31:19 AM »

Just listened to this, and wow, this is godawful. It's a good demonstration of what I don't like about the use of growls for more than color. As others have said, it's monotonous, it's amelodic, there's nothing artistic or even pleasant about it. Even though this is exactly the kind of music that might call for prominent growls. Hetfield's sung performance is just leagues better in terms of having anything interesting or enjoyable about it—even though at that time he was not a particularly melodious singer. And after listening to the 5YIALT performance, I listened to DT playing this song with JLB singing. Even though the song is not well-tailored for JLB's voice, he also sounds leagues better than the guy from Napalm Death. There's melody, there's personality, there's something to it besides monotonous harshness.

What I think would be a more effective use of growls on this song, if one were to use them, would be to have everything sung except the "Damage Incorporated" at the end of the chorus. Then there would be some sense of surprise and contrast, and it would punctuate a particularly aggressive part of the song.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2021, 11:42:21 AM »
It's funny because I really love good clean vocals and melody but ever since I discovered bands with harsh vocals I always thought the combination of clean melodies and growls blended so nice together if done right.

I listen to all kinds of genres with harsh vocals and some with only harsh vocals but I do have a soft spot when growls are utilized as a conveyor of emotions from the lyrics rather than the only singing style in the music if you know what I mean. Like in Day Twelve: Trauma.

In general though i've never had a problem with growls to begin with, I just found them to be a really cool enhancer of certain kinds of metal music.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2021, 11:59:35 AM »
I think if done correctly, harsh vocals could enhance a song.

I'm in between. I prefer clean vocals, but don't mind harsh vocals.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2021, 12:08:56 PM »
I voted for the first option because I'd like to see The Flower Kings, Billie Eilish, Marillion, Alanis Morrisette, IQ, Marketa Irglova, Anneke van Giersbergen solo and all the other bands to use harsh vocals. No guest singers too. Show me what you've got.

Seriously though, I think sometimes you could give or take them—in terms that the song could still work well without them—and sometimes they absolutely make the album. How can you do the themes The Reticent did in their last two albums so eloquently without harsh vocals? How can you do that Agalloch song that got me into growls (Our Fortress is Burning - II) without showing the complete anguish encompassed into the harsh vocals the band used there?

Hate harsh vocals all you want—I hated them until 2016 I think—but, in my opinion, they definitely have their use in the art of music.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2021, 12:15:38 PM »

Someone wrote on YT: "Barney is my favorite Dream Theater singer"  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2021, 12:28:36 PM »
I voted for the first option because I'd like to see The Flower Kings, Billie Eilish, Marillion, Alanis Morrisette, IQ, Marketa Irglova, Anneke van Giersbergen solo and all the other bands to use harsh vocals. No guest singers too. Show me what you've got.

Seriously though, I think sometimes you could give or take them—in terms that the song could still work well without them—and sometimes they absolutely make the album. How can you do the themes The Reticent did in their last two albums so eloquently without harsh vocals? How can you do that Agalloch song that got me into growls (Our Fortress is Burning - II) without showing the complete anguish encompassed into the harsh vocals the band used there?

Hate harsh vocals all you want—I hated them until 2016 I think—but, in my opinion, they definitely have their use in the art of music.

Not arguing with you, just sharing a thought.    I've heard the new Anneke album, and while it's not my favorite album of all time, it's very, very good, and one of the things about it is that it's unabashedly BEAUTIFUL.  There's an elegance, a grace to almost all the songs, and for me, one of the two best songs on the album - the closer, "Love You Like I Love You" - is just... beautiful.  There's no other word for it.   The arrangement, the lyrics, the melody, the singing, it's like a photograph, and it's meant, I believe, to express the beauty (and power) of love.   I don't see what hard vocals would do there other than to break the spell, to ruin the photorama. 

As a general proposition, in life, anger is the easiest emotion.  I have a bus-full of people in my life who only know how to express emotion through anger, whether it's embarrassment, fear, hurt, disappointment, or, well, anger.   I don't say that growls/harsh are "easy", but there are more singers that can do that in one form or another than can hold a pure, crystal, clean note, like, for example, Freddy Mercury does in "Somebody To Love".   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2021, 12:42:46 PM »

Barney!    When I was younger, my friend - I've written about him here before (he just found his dad) - taught at a private high school.  He took a group of kids to Montreal for a ski trip, and I went as chaparone.   Some of the kids - thinking they were being funny - brought a Napalm Death video (I don't remember if it was a boot or not; Live Corruption didn't come out until after I remember the trip being held) thinking they were going to bust our balls.   Little did they know we were both in bands, both liked metal (though not death metal) and thought it was funny.   By the end of the trip we were kind of busting their balls by making THEM play it after the novelty wore off.  :)

I won't say that's not "music", because it is but it's in my collection for completeness and for the event, not because it's a stellar version of the song.

Are you calling me a Barney or is that the guy's name?   :biggrin:  Let's just say that it's a good think that that's only one song on 5YIAL.  Musically, they ripped it up, but I just can't with the "vocals."

Obviously, it's a subjective thing, and, to me, they sound like shit.  What's the difference between distorted guitars and some dude (or chick) grunting like an animal?  I don't know that I could articulate it, but the difference is, to me, manifest.  It's sort of like saying, "why do you like Geoff Tate's vocals but think Axl Rose sounds like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs?

Somewhere between Genesis and Grim Reaper.

Someone wrote on YT: "Barney is my favorite Dream Theater singer"  :lol

If I recall correctly, the comments on that video are gold.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2021, 12:49:22 PM »
Thanks for the responses to my question guys.  I was thinking a lack of melody might have been a big factor.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2021, 12:52:58 PM »

Somewhere between Genesis and Grim Reaper.

Beautiful.  Absolutely beautiful.    :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2021, 12:56:23 PM »

Petrucci fucking destroys on this.  His rhythm is incredible.