Author Topic: The Triumph Thread  (Read 6024 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Triumph Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2021, 06:01:41 PM »
If John Curulewski hadn’t quit, the entire band would have become a small cult following footnote in rock history.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2021, 06:04:24 PM »
Well, Damn Yankees blows. And sure DDY has done shit. I don't think he really cared about being a rock band singer guy.

I did see DDY at (fucking) EPCOT (of all places) a few years ago and he was great. The Tommy Shaw dude he had in his band was fantastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2021, 06:06:26 PM »
Damn Yankees were really good. I will go down with the ship on that one. :lol :biggrin:

I think DDY does the greatest hits stuff better than Styx this century, largely because Gowan acts like a clown on stage and it's too distracting, but that album Styx released a few years ago was great.  I'd love to get another of similar quality.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2021, 06:09:12 PM »
I think DDY does the greatest hits stuff better than Styx this century, largely because Gowan acts like a clown on stage and it's too distracting, but that album Styx released a few years ago was great.  I'd love to get another of similar quality.

Actually, I remember checking out a new Styx album a few years ago and it was pretty good. Probably the same one you mention.

Damn Yankees were really good. I will go down with the ship on that one. :lol :biggrin:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2021, 06:13:48 PM »
That's what should happen to anyone who disparages Power Windows.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2021, 06:14:10 PM »
That's what should happen to anyone who disparages Power Windows.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2021, 06:15:53 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2021, 06:59:11 PM »
Well this spiraled out of control like Tim's take on Power Windows.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2021, 07:05:52 PM »
Blame WildRanger err Kev.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2021, 10:07:13 AM »
DDY voiced their biggest hits.

Crystal Ball - Shaw
Come Sail Away - DeYoung
Fooling Yourself - Shaw
Blue Collar Man - Shaw
Sing for the Day - Shaw
Renegade - Shaw
Babe - DeYoung
Best of Times - DeYoung
Too Much Time on My Hands - Shaw
Mr. Roboto - DeYoung

That's a 6:4 ratio in Shaw's favor (I intentionally didn't include Lady since that was before Shaw joined).

The guy who has really reaped the biggest benefit from all this is James Young.  That's a guy who has ridden the coattails of others for 45 years without contributing much more than a menacing snarl.  Styx without James Young is still Styx, but Styx without either DDY or Tommy Shaw doesn't reach anywhere near the heights that they did.

And while this is just my opinion, since the Styx breakup in '83, Tommy has lapped DDY so many times, it is not even funny.  I can count on one hand the number of songs I like that Dennis has written since 1984. Tommy has tons between his solo records, Damn Yankees, Shaw Blades and Styx.

That's kind of a duh.  Obviously, DDY missed almost all of what Styx has done since '83.  Honestly, the only thing I know that DDY did outside of Styx was the song Desert Moon.  DDY is a musical theater guy through and through.  I know he dabbled in that area, but I don't think he ever really immersed himself in it, which I think he would have been great at.  Honestly, for my tastes, none of the three were worth a damn without each other.  Definitely a "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts" sort of thing.

You're right, of course, but hey...remember when this was The Triumph Thread?!

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2021, 10:31:05 AM »
It never occurred to me until just now that Pieces of Eight had exactly zero DDY singles.

I wonder if that had something to do with the paradigm shift on Cornerstone?

But yes...we should take this to the proper Styx thread.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2021, 01:35:49 PM »
Well, Damn Yankees blows. And sure DDY has done shit. I don't think he really cared about being a rock band singer guy.

I did see DDY at (fucking) EPCOT (of all places) a few years ago and he was great. The Tommy Shaw dude he had in his band was fantastic.

I seen the both - actual Styx with DDY and Styx with Lawrence Gowan and DDY with August Zadra and they were equally good musically, but the Styx stage setup was quite a bit more elaborate.  I've heard rumors that Dennis Deyoung wants back in with Styx, and he is right that the fans would love to see a reunion tour. 

But Tommy's rationale sounds quite reasonable for why he won't do it:

Quote from: Tommy Shaw
Shaw went on to say that he is content to let the past remain in the past, choosing instead to surround himself with positivity as he enters the next part of his career. He continued: "Personality-wise, at this stage in my life, I want to be happy. I want to be around people who love me and that have my best interest at heart, and I don't have to fight with. There's just not enough years left that I would want to risk not having that again."

Tommy is 67 and as a dude who is rapidly approaching 60 I *totally* get this.  It's the exact reason why I've stayed at the same job for just short of 21 years.  Everything is great for me here and I'll be retiring in less than 10 years if all goes according to plan.  Why risk my happiness with a different job at this point in my career?  I can see DDY's side of it, though, and I admit I'd love to see them work something out for maybe a quick US reunion tour.   I'd pay good money for a seat at one of those shows, that's for sure.

That said, I don't see it happening nor do I really care all that much.  Styx's latest album "The Mission" is awesome and from what I understand they are working on new material right now.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2021, 01:36:46 PM »
edit: moved this post to the Styx thread

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2021, 04:52:04 PM »
Triumph rocks!!!!!

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2022, 06:20:14 PM »
So while going through a couple of bins of pictures for my brother in law's funeral last year, I found a pic from my friend's wedding. So I'm posting this for the first time. Taken sometime during the summer of 1999..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2022, 07:14:27 PM »
5/1/99 is the only time I saw Rik Emmett in concert, so not far off!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2022, 07:42:06 PM »
I love the picture you have Tim with Rik in a parking lot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2022, 07:43:36 PM »
Yeah, it's such a weird thing, isn't it?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2022, 07:45:19 PM »
It's a moment you'll never forget.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2022, 07:46:51 PM »
Yup, and everytime a new Triumph or Rik Emmet thread pops up, you guys'll never forget it either! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2022, 07:48:13 PM »
How can we not?!  It's such a cool moment!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2022, 11:57:40 AM »
Speaking of Triumph, anyone know what's up with that movie that the Beyond the Lighted Stage guy was making about Triumph?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2022, 03:44:04 PM »
Speaking of Triumph, anyone know what's up with that movie that the Beyond the Lighted Stage guy was making about Triumph?

Currently streaming exclusively through Crave and due for DVD release later this year.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2022, 06:36:06 PM »

Currently streaming exclusively through Crave and due for DVD release later this year.

Damn.  Almost makes me want to get my free (whatever free period) trial subscription is.

Almost.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2022, 06:37:43 PM »
Never heard of Crave.  I'll check it out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2022, 06:39:14 PM »
Yeah, what in the hell is Crave?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2022, 06:42:21 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2022, 06:48:48 PM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crave_(streaming_service)

Thanks for the link.

"Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name."

Not so dumb after all. :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2022, 06:51:26 PM »
Crave is Bell Media's streaming service/platform.  Consider it a Canadian equivalent to Paramount+.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2022, 06:53:13 PM »

Thanks for the link.

That's weird. I read it all. Wonder why the link didn't work.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2022, 07:05:37 PM »

Thanks for the link.

That's weird. I read it all. Wonder why the link didn't work.

For whatever reason, when you click on the link, it doesn't close the parentheses, so it comes up with no result found.

Looks like it's only available north of the border.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2022, 12:01:14 PM »
Looks like it's only available north of the border.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2022, 02:18:59 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2022, 08:28:11 PM »

I watched it a month or two ago. It was a great watch, and I had forgotten how successful Triumph were in the U.S. They still have a base of superfans.

The first person you see in the movie is Seb Bach. He has not aged well  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2022, 10:54:15 AM »
Does he look significantly different than he did in Beyond the Lighted Stage?