Author Topic: The Triumph Thread  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Zoom E

Re: The Triumph Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2022, 11:33:24 AM »
Does he look significantly different than he did in Beyond the Lighted Stage?

I don’t recall his appearance in Beyond the Lighted Stage.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2022, 02:14:33 PM »

He's one of the many folks who discuss how influential Rush was.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2022, 03:06:40 PM »
We all get old and our appearances change over the years, some better than others.
Bach is no different to anyone from the 1980's who is still alive today.
I look nothing like my 80's persona , in fact I am more comfortable today with my 53 year old body than I was 30 years ago.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2022, 01:06:24 PM »
Triumph documentary premiering for folks in the U.S. on Friday, May 13 at 8:30 p.m. EDT.

$20 for unlimited viewing through the end of May.  Not sure what happens after that.

Unfortunately, I'm usually sitting on the freeway at 5:30 PDT, but maybe I'll leave work early that day.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2022, 07:54:45 PM »

You're one of the lucky ones...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2022, 03:27:37 PM »
Speaking of Triumph, anyone know what's up with that movie that the Beyond the Lighted Stage guy was making about Triumph?

Currently streaming exclusively through Crave and due for DVD release later this year.

I watched it a month or two ago. It was a great watch, and I had forgotten how successful Triumph were in the U.S. They still have a base of superfans.

When I started getting into this type of music, Triumph was (as far as I knew) on the same level as bands like Rush, Styx, Maiden, etc.  This was during the Never Surrender album cycle, so Thunder Seven was my first new album, and then things went downhill pretty fast.  I've still never heard anything from the one album they did without Rik.

I just finished watching the Triumph doc.  I'd say it was good but not great.  A lot of cool, older footage that I'd never seen before, but it also seemed fairly superficial.  They also had a very limited number of guys who had been influenced by the band...Sebastian Bach, some guy named John that I've never heard of...and not much more.  They also had that annoying guy with the super thick glasses who shows up in a lot of Rush stuff (I think he's from some Canadian TV show).  All in all a worthwhile watch.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2022, 11:31:25 PM »
Speaking of Triumph, anyone know what's up with that movie that the Beyond the Lighted Stage guy was making about Triumph?

Currently streaming exclusively through Crave and due for DVD release later this year.

I watched it a month or two ago. It was a great watch, and I had forgotten how successful Triumph were in the U.S. They still have a base of superfans.

When I started getting into this type of music, Triumph was (as far as I knew) on the same level as bands like Rush, Styx, Maiden, etc.  This was during the Never Surrender album cycle, so Thunder Seven was my first new album, and then things went downhill pretty fast.  I've still never heard anything from the one album they did without Rik.

I just finished watching the Triumph doc.  I'd say it was good but not great.  A lot of cool, older footage that I'd never seen before, but it also seemed fairly superficial.  They also had a very limited number of guys who had been influenced by the band...Sebastian Bach, some guy named John that I've never heard of...and not much more.  They also had that annoying guy with the super thick glasses who shows up in a lot of Rush stuff (I think he's from some Canadian TV show).  All in all a worthwhile watch.

The guy with the glasses is Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys. Rush appeared on the show once. It’s a bit of a cult show here, but I personally don’t see the appeal, based on the few episodes I’ve seen.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2022, 09:20:46 AM »
There's definitely nothing about what I've seen that would make me want to watch.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2022, 09:31:07 AM »
You guys are in the minority. Most Canadians love that show that is a Canadian made show who both Rush and Triumph have talked about.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2022, 09:32:06 AM »
Trailer Park Boys? Never seen it. Sound awful.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2022, 09:55:24 AM »
But Tim, you haven't seen TV in decades so you're not a good barometer.   Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2022, 10:05:51 AM »
But Tim, you haven't seen TV in decades so you're not a good barometer.   Lol

I have never claimed to be a good barometer of anything. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2022, 09:12:36 PM »
There's definitely nothing about what I've seen that would make me want to watch.

The original video for Magic Power is worth the price of admission.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2022, 09:28:27 PM »

Just FYI, my comment was referring to Trailer Park Boys.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2022, 06:54:12 PM »

:facepalm:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2022, 06:56:42 PM »

:facepalm:

:lol :lol

The Triumph documentary, while not great, was definitely worth the $20 (although I'd have liked to have seen it in a theater).  I'll try to give it another watch before I lose access at the end of the month.