Author Topic: Arc of Life - Feat. YES members  (Read 734 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Arc of Life - Feat. YES members
« on: February 11, 2021, 10:42:18 AM »
Stadler wrote a glowing review of the new album by Arc of Life that comes out tomorrow.
Check it out!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/arc-of-life-arc-of-life/

:metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Arc of Life - Feat. YES members
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 11:23:29 AM »
Let me just say; I HATED the first song when I heard it.  I wanted to hear the album so I agreed to the review.  I listened to the record a number of times through, and I found myself actually going to it for pleasure.  It's a WAY better record than that first single suggested (and even that song sounds better in context).  You have to like Yes, and Jon Davidson's voice, but if that came out as a Yes record, I would be thrilled.  It's worth a listen!

(And I have no vested interest in this, other than I just like it.)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 11:58:29 AM »
Let me just say; I HATED the first song when I heard it.  I wanted to hear the album so I agreed to the review.  I listened to the record a number of times through, and I found myself actually going to it for pleasure.  It's a WAY better record than that first single suggested (and even that song sounds better in context).  You have to like Yes, and Jon Davidson's voice, but if that came out as a Yes record, I would be thrilled.  It's worth a listen!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a Kerzner fan but damn, the single was horrible and was a massive turn off. Guess I'll have to give it a chance.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 01:13:28 PM »
Stads!  No way! Very cool!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 01:32:04 PM »
Nice job on the review, bro.  :tup

I have no use for Yes, so I'm probably gonna pass on the album, but I enjoyed reading your review.   :)

Offline DTA

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 10:02:25 AM »

Good review. I actually didn't dislike You Make It Real against all my natural instincts, but I didn't like it enough to want to dig deeper. Maybe I'll give it a chance now that someone's heard the rest and had positive things to say

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 07:49:53 AM »

Good review. I actually didn't dislike You Make It Real against all my natural instincts, but I didn't like it enough to want to dig deeper. Maybe I'll give it a chance now that someone's heard the rest and had positive things to say

Look, I get "taste", but if you have ANY inclination, try out "Just In Sight", "Locked Down" and/or "Therefore We Are".  Billy - who's vocals I think are very weak in "You Make It Real", sounds like Peter Gabriel in "Therefore We Are", and as I've said, his bass playing is killer.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 08:14:49 AM »
Thanks for the review, Stadler.  It does make the album sound a lot better than that first single did.

I have to say, though, that unless I knew anything about William Feltovic before reading it, I would have completely dismissed the review itself, as I do any review which gets the name of the lead singer wrong half the time.  I didn't actually count, but it seemed like "Davidson" was mentioned as often as Davison, sometimes in the same sentence.  That always bugs me, and I'm sorry, but regardless of who wrote it, my brain has trouble taking seriously the words of someone who can't be bothered getting the band member's names right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 08:21:18 AM »
Thanks for the review, Stadler.  It does make the album sound a lot better than that first single did.

I have to say, though, that unless I knew anything about William Feltovic before reading it, I would have completely dismissed the review itself, as I do any review which gets the name of the lead singer wrong half the time.  I didn't actually count, but it seemed like "Davidson" was mentioned as often as Davison, sometimes in the same sentence.  That always bugs me, and I'm sorry, but regardless of who wrote it, my brain has trouble taking seriously the words of someone who can't be bothered getting the band member's names right.
I'm sorry about that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 08:54:29 AM »
I'm sorry for being an asshole about it.  The review was otherwise really good, and I honestly might pick it up now.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 12:29:13 PM »
Typos on Davisonñs name have been corrected, I am sorry for that!