Author Topic: Null  (Read 1395 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Null
« on: February 08, 2021, 05:20:11 PM »
So, Null showed up in my Release Radar on Spotify this week. They were towards the end of the playlist and I almost stopped before I got to them. I was about to click out when I thought..what the hell, give it a shot.

WOW! I'm glad I did. Holy shit, this is a great new album.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5mriDeZzkJxUopiumw4hTC?si=RfgG7PxgTU6v4bEPf5zA0Q
https://nullblackmetal.bandcamp.com/album/hiraeth

Hiraeth is a DOUBLE CD, as is their debut, 2019's Lore Of A Sleeping Forest.

I've been listening to Hiraeth for a couple of days now, and I'm amazed. Their sound is atmospheric, reflective, a little folky, black metal vocals (some cleans) that I can handle, and great compositions. The band gets nice and heavy too.

I don't know anything about them, but I ordered both double CDs from Bandcamp. I would've purchased the downloads but each CD comes with a booklet and I am interested in that.

Here's the title track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6WMMljRNZs

A great track..Discovery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoC9lNFLn5g
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Null
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »
Sounds good dude. I've added the new album to my '2021 releases' playlist  :metal

I'll hopefully report back before the day is through.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 09:40:33 PM »
I still need to get to this album. I've listened to Lore of a Sleeping Forest and thought it was good. Hoping this one is just as good, if not better.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 10:52:16 PM »
I listened to the first song. It is excellent musically, but shame about the growly vocals. I will check out more by them when I have the chance.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 03:45:01 AM »
I sampled the first album when you pimped it Tim.  It sounded good, I'll have to make some time to check them out again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 04:28:23 AM »
Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought this was a thread made my mistake and with the word "null" meaning it should be deleted   :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 05:11:13 AM »
This album is pretty good so far (I'm about 2/3rds of the way through) but I'm not sure how often I'd revisit this album, being that it's nearly 2 hours long!

I like to listen to albums all the way through the majority of the time, and this is quite an undertaking.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 07:07:55 PM »
Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought this was a thread made my mistake and with the word "null" meaning it should be deleted   :lol

:lol

This album is pretty good so far (I'm about 2/3rds of the way through) but I'm not sure how often I'd revisit this album, being that it's nearly 2 hours long!

I like to listen to albums all the way through the majority of the time, and this is quite an undertaking.

Yeah, there's a lot to chew on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 07:31:42 PM »
Got my CDs today!! :metal :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 06:38:37 AM »
Listening now and I have to say, while I wasn't sure I'd appreciate how long the album is, it really is some fantastic, extremely melodic folk/black(ish) metal and there's enough variety of sounds and ideas to keep it interesting.

I'll give their first album a listen at some point too.

Thanks for the recommendation Tim!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 07:41:58 AM »
So, Null showed up in my Release Radar on Spotify this week. They were towards the end of the playlist and I almost stopped before I got to them. I was about to click out when I thought..what the hell, give it a shot.

Yet another almost illegible logo!  :) :)

I LOVED the intro to Hiraeth, and when the main riff came in at about 1:15, I was like "yeah, TAC!"    Then the vocals came in.  Nope.  Just can't do it. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 11:06:50 AM »
I'm guessing it's gonna be a hard pass for me.  Considering the members that are pimping it, and Stads hates it.

I don't even have to listen to know that Bill's got this one right.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 11:12:28 AM »

Yet another almost illegible logo!  :) :)

I LOVED the intro to Hiraeth, and when the main riff came in at about 1:15, I was like "yeah, TAC!"    Then the vocals came in.  Nope.  Just can't do it.

Same.  Hard pass.

I wasn't gonna even commend but goddam what the fuck is wrong with these people who are designing these logos?  That has got to be the worst one yet.  I would NEVER have gotten "Null" from that logo.  Not in a million years.   :facepalm:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 11:31:20 AM »
That logo is super legible for black metal standards. Same for that Awaken band in the other thread (might not be black metal, but whatever). You sweet summer children.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 12:00:40 PM »
That logo is super legible for black metal standards. Same for that Awaken band in the other thread (might not be black metal, but whatever). You sweet summer children.

Yeah, no problem with the Awaken / Iotunn / Null logos whatsoever here. I do have a problem with the "Hiraeth" font/color though, it looks like they opened the cover via Paint, picked a random font and typed the album name in.

I need to listen to this I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 07:26:58 PM »
So Null dropped their new album today..

https://open.spotify.com/album/5QvT8SfEf6KYGoRN1iodg0?si=DrVcEIKhQmq5mJxiwsNtZQ

This one is ONLY 78 minutes.  :lol

I really like the song Ancient Memories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UOppMCnk4A

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 01:29:59 PM »
On my second listen and it's sounding really top-notch!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 06:35:12 PM »
I'll make some time to check this out.  I didn't go back to the last album to be honest but I'm a little more into this style these days.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 07:16:40 PM »
Just hit the song I linked. It's only 11 minutes. ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2022, 06:32:55 AM »
Fucking outstanding vocals.