Poll

What's your favorite era for the Scorps?

70's: Lonesome Crow - Lovedrive
12 (44.4%)
80's: Animal Magnetism - Savage Amusement
15 (55.6%)
90's: Crazy World - Eye II Eye
0 (0%)
00's +: Unbreakable - Return to Forever
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Scorpions: your favorite decade/era?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Scorpions: your favorite decade/era?
« on: February 05, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »
Which was the best Scorpions era? I don't foresee many votes for 90's or 00's, but you never know.

I went with the 70's. When I first got into the Scorpions, I sort of dismissed Lonesome Crow and Fly to the Rainbow, but now I absolutely love them.

70's: Lonesome Crow, Fly to the Rainbow, In Trance, Virgin Killer, Taken by Force, Lovedrive

80's: Animal Magnetism, Blackout, Love at First Sting, Savage Amusement

90's: Crazy World, Face the Heat, Pure Instinct, Eye II Eye

00's +: Unbreakable, Humanity Hour I, Sting in the Tail, Return to Forever
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:59:49 AM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Scorpions: your favorite decade/era?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »
Definite the 80's era - they were absolutely on fire during those years. 

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 11:50:32 AM »
70's (non-commercial) stuff, hands down.
Taken by Force and Tokyo Tapes - 'nuff said. When they were young, hungry, creative and had no cheesy ballads. And when they had Uli Jon Roth!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:53:06 AM »
I love UJR but it has to be the 80s
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 01:35:47 PM »
This is REALLY tough; with Lovedrive in the "70's" group, I'm going for that.   I like the first four post-Roth records, but it drops off pretty quick after that. I can take or leave Roth's voice, mostly leave, but there's more good in the first half than the next phase.

"We'll Burn The Sky"!   :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 01:47:35 PM »
I gotta go with 80s, but splitting it in this way doesn't make a ton of sense.  The better splitting point is between Tokyo Tapes and Lovedrive (which would make my vote even stronger).  In other words, my real vote is Lovedrive through Love at First Sting.  The Roth era is rather hit-or-miss for me.

Full disclosure:  Other than Wind of Change, I don't think I've heard any Scorps material after Savage Amusement.

When they were young, hungry, creative and had no cheesy ballads.

Well...sure, but can you really say that He's a Woman - She's a Man is appreciably better than a song like Lady Starlight or Still Loving You?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 02:24:25 PM »
I gotta go with 80s, but splitting it in this way doesn't make a ton of sense.  The better splitting point is between Tokyo Tapes and Lovedrive (which would make my vote even stronger).  In other words, my real vote is Lovedrive through Love at First Sting.  The Roth era is rather hit-or-miss for me.

Full disclosure:  Other than Wind of Change, I don't think I've heard any Scorps material after Savage Amusement.

When they were young, hungry, creative and had no cheesy ballads.

Well...sure, but can you really say that He's a Woman - She's a Man is appreciably better than a song like Lady Starlight or Still Loving You?

You're making me rethink my choice.   But you're right: Tokyo Tapes is a far better line in the sand.   I think the duds in the 70's (HAW-SAM, Steamrock Fever, Hell Cat) are worse than anything in the 80's, but the peaks of the 70's are pretty darn high.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 02:56:37 PM »

I have Crazy World and it's not bad. But Humanity Hour One is AMAZING!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 03:00:12 PM »
You're making me rethink my choice.   But you're right: Tokyo Tapes is a far better line in the sand.   I think the duds in the 70's (HAW-SAM, Steamrock Fever, Hell Cat) are worse than anything in the 80's, but the peaks of the 70's are pretty darn high.

That's for damn sure.

Also, I rather like Steamrock Fever (I don't even mind HAW-SAM, but it seemed an apt song to use in response to WR's point about "cheesy ballads").
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 03:02:24 PM »
Lovedrive is the swing vote for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 11:35:42 PM »
I voted 70s but the 80s era is amazing too. Blackout was my first Scorps album, so that’s near and dear to my heart.

Post 80s, my two favourite albums are Unbreakable and Humanity Hour One.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 06:38:39 AM »
This is REALLY tough; with Lovedrive in the "70's" group, I'm going for that.   I like the first four post-Roth records, but it drops off pretty quick after that. I can take or leave Roth's voice, mostly leave, but there's more good in the first half than the next phase.

"We'll Burn The Sky"!   :metal

Yup

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 10:46:49 AM »
I went with the 80s.

I know it gets slagged a lot by fans, but I really love Savage Amusement. Not everything on that album is perfect, but the highs and lows are not as extreme as say on Crazy World (Crazy World, Hit Between the Eyes, Don't Believe Her, Send Me an Angel = killer; Tease Me Please Me, Money and Fame and especially Kicks After Six = awful). SA is a good album.

Humanity Hour One is AMAZING!
I agree! Wonder if there will ever be an "Hour Two".
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline emtee

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 01:13:07 PM »
80's

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 05:19:30 PM »
My the way...

Is there any mainstream band that has had more album covers censored or changed?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 09:41:14 AM »
I went with the 80s.

I know it gets slagged a lot by fans, but I really love Savage Amusement. Not everything on that album is perfect, but the highs and lows are not as extreme as say on Crazy World (Crazy World, Hit Between the Eyes, Don't Believe Her, Send Me an Angel = killer; Tease Me Please Me, Money and Fame and especially Kicks After Six = awful). SA is a good album.

I agree.  I liked that album a lot. 

For the poll, I went with '80s.  Every one of those albums is solid.  For the '70s, I don't own a single album, and have no desire to.  But there are a lot of strong [i[songs[/i].  But the thing is, this is a band that has so many greatest hits and live packages that it isn't hard to collect the songs I like without having to buy the albums and skip the filler. 

For the '90s, they had some decent output.  Face the Heat was pretty solid.  And I liked Pure Instinct, even if it did sound a bit "by the numbers" and uninspired.  But Crazy World didn't do it for me, and Eye II Eye was one of only two albums that I bought and promptly returned after one listen. 

In the '00s, Humanity Hour I was amazing.  I put it up there with the classic material.  Haven't heard the other albums, and don't really feel a strong need.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 09:49:36 AM »
But Humanity Hour One is AMAZING!

In the '00s, Humanity Hour I was amazing.  I put it up there with the classic material.  Haven't heard the other albums, and don't really feel a strong need.

Humanity Hour 1 is fantastic, not a single weak song. Incredibly strong effort, and I'll go as far as to say it's my favourite Scorpions album.

I've heard and own Sting in the Tail and it's half killer, especially if you like trademark Scorpions ballads, and half meh. Raised on Rock, The Good Die Young, Sly, Lorelei and The Best is Yet to Come are all very strong songs, in my opinion, the rest I could do without.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 11:43:38 AM »
This may sound a bit odd, given where they had a lot of their success, but I never really cared for their ballads, for the most part.  Even Still Loving You.  I mean, it's not a bad song.  But there are a bunch of real rockers on that album that I would rank ahead of it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 11:47:30 AM »
I grew up with the ballads man, so their ingrained into my soul. In my opinion it's high quality cheese.

I just love the debut though, it's just so diffrent and I would've never guessed it was Scorpions if I heard it without context.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 11:49:59 AM »
Still Loving You is amazing!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 12:33:45 PM »
My the way...

Is there any mainstream band that has had more album covers censored or changed?

The "In Trance" cover is one of my favorite album covers of all time (the caveat being that I have every reason to believe the model is of age. ;0)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 03:52:59 PM »
Yes it is!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 06:01:02 PM »
My the way...

The "In Trance" cover is one of my favorite album covers of all time (the caveat being that I have every reason to believe the model is of age. ;0)

...as opposed to what came immediately after.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2021, 07:47:48 PM »
we are in a tie!!!!  :metal
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2021, 09:16:23 AM »

I saw that tour, and that was one of the few moments of the show I remember.   Hearing Klaus sing that in an arena was pretty friggin' cool. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2021, 09:20:51 AM »
Like I said, I don't dislike it at all.  But I never really liked it as much as most seem to, and just feel it is overrated.  If you love it, that's great.  You obviously aren't alone.  It was a massive hit for a reason.

For the most part, when I reach for Scorpions these days, it is usually either World Wide Live, Live Bites, or Humanity.  And those satisfy my Scorps itch pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 09:27:57 AM by bosk1 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2021, 09:26:09 AM »

I saw that tour,

Me too. Bon Jovi opened.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2021, 09:55:03 AM »

I saw that tour,

Me too. Bon Jovi opened.

Yep; they were good too, even though I never really followed up on them as a fan.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2021, 10:09:25 AM »
They were so good, I bought the sleeveless sweatshirt thingy they were selling, and I bought their tape the next day.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2021, 10:17:53 AM »
I only saw the Scorps once -- on the Savage Amusement tour at the old LA Sports Arena.  The internet suggests that Winger opened, but I don't think I watched them.  My interest in the band was waning at that point, but it was a damn good show.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2021, 10:20:05 AM »
I only saw the Scorps once -- on the Savage Amusement tour at the old LA Sports Arena.  The internet suggests that Winger opened, but I don't think I watched them.  My interest in the band was waning at that point, but it was a damn good show.

That was actually the last time I saw them. We got Kingdom Come opening here.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2021, 10:44:36 AM »
Only saw them once when they co-headlined with Deep Purple and Dio opened in 2002. Actually, that's the only time I ever saw any of those bands live, but it was a great show. I think Scorpions put on the most energetic set (DP closed) but it was enjoyable all around.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2021, 08:29:35 PM »
My first Scorpions show was in 82, with Iron Maiden and Girlschool in support. That was a cracker of a show.

My other Scorps shows were in 84 on the Love at First Sting tour, 1990 on the Crazy World tour, around 1997 with Alice Cooper, and in 2007 with the band Three opening.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2021, 08:35:28 PM »
Love at First Sting tour with Bon Jovi opening for me. What a killer show. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2021, 08:36:55 PM »
My first Scorpions show was in 82, with Iron Maiden and Girlschool in support. That was a cracker of a show.

That's awesome Zoom. I saw Girlschool open or Deep  Purplein '84.