Author Topic: The Cryptocurrencies Thread  (Read 22392 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Cryptocurrencies Thread
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2021, 05:12:32 AM »
Long story short... I had 2000 Dogecoin at .049 that I completely forgot about in my Voyager app  :lol :lol I bought it at the end of February. Pretty sure I was a bit inebriated. I went to buy some through the app last night and there was some already in my account  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2021, 06:06:35 AM »
Long story short... I had 2000 Dogecoin at .049 that I completely forgot about in my Voyager app  :lol :lol I bought it at the end of February. Pretty sure I was a bit inebriated. I went to buy some through the app last night and there was some already in my account  :metal

That's awesome!

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2021, 07:33:17 AM »
It's been a fun few days. I'm up close to 30% total in all my crypto just over the last few weeks since I started buying. I'm honestly a bit confused how to handle crypto. If we're talking stock, I buy and hold basically until I reach the point I need the money. It feels like crypto may not be the same type of game. Is it wrong to just buy and hold and ride the crazy ups and downs and hope over the next decade or two that the value continues to climb?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2021, 07:46:20 AM »
It's been a fun few days. I'm up close to 30% total in all my crypto just over the last few weeks since I started buying. I'm honestly a bit confused how to handle crypto. If we're talking stock, I buy and hold basically until I reach the point I need the money. It feels like crypto may not be the same type of game. Is it wrong to just buy and hold and ride the crazy ups and downs and hope over the next decade or two that the value continues to climb?

No.  You don't need to play the game.

Does anyone know why cryptos are skyrocketing this week?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2021, 07:51:45 AM »

Coinbase IPO is today

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2021, 07:55:38 AM »

I am not sure, but I've been reading that this is a bull year for alt coins whatever that means.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2021, 07:59:12 AM »

Coinbase IPO is today

Interesting.  Also, I understand NFTs use Eth, is that something I should invest in as well?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2021, 09:34:30 PM »

I know you are smarter than many on the subject of personal finances, so do what works best for you. My investments are for the long-term, and I am treating crypto the same. We are by no means wealthy, but live modestly and fortunately do not need to rely on stock transactions for any additional income. Yet it is nice to know it is there for us should we need it in an emergency.

In January I would never have told my wife how much I put in to crypto. That is beyond her scope and knowledge, and more importantly, her risk tolerance. When I showed her the positions of our crypto, she asked me why I didn't invest more.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2021, 06:23:40 AM »

I know you are smarter than many on the subject of personal finances, so do what works best for you. My investments are for the long-term, and I am treating crypto the same. We are by no means wealthy, but live modestly and fortunately do not need to rely on stock transactions for any additional income. Yet it is nice to know it is there for us should we need it in an emergency.

In January I would never have told my wife how much I put in to crypto. That is beyond her scope and knowledge, and more importantly, her risk tolerance. When I showed her the positions of our crypto, she asked me why I didn't invest more.

Yeah, I think it's more in my nature to just buy and hold. I think that once I get closer to financial independence, I'll choose as percentage of my investments I want in crypto and anytime it goes above that I'll sell and anytime it drops below that I'll buy. I don't know what that percentage will be long term. Right now I want to get up to 5%, but that's going to take a couple years to get to probably. For now I'm going to toss a few hundred bucks a month in like clockwork and hope for the best.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2021, 09:15:20 PM »
Right now I want to get up to 5%, but that's going to take a couple years to get to probably. For now I'm going to toss a few hundred bucks a month in like clockwork and hope for the best.

Did some quick spreadsheet updating, and I am at about 4% but that is largely due to the spike of the past 48 hours. Speaking of which... how is Chino doing?

I made a cool $200 on doge today. I got out about twenty minutes ago.....
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2021, 04:52:55 AM »
I'm just shy of 1% right now, but considering I had nothing a few weeks ago, maybe I'll be able to make it to 5% fairly quickly. Though I have the third stimulus check to thank for nearly all of what I have in now.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2021, 07:39:08 AM »
I bought a dollar amount's worth of doge at .14 that I'm not comfortable sharing, but the last 36 hours have been the most excitement I've had in over a year, maybe ever. This is basically a game of who's willing to hold the bag the longest at this point.

The new roof and chimney work I'm getting over the next two weeks is now bought and paid for if I were to decide to dump right now... I don't know what to do. I'm a greedy bastard.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2021, 07:48:02 AM »
My little $40 I threw into Doge last week seems to be doing well

:lol that $40 has turned to $340, of course now I wish I put serious money and not "for fun" money into it.  But honestly, I still don't get it so I'm not comfortable putting serious money into things I don't understand.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2021, 05:07:43 AM »
Well... There go nearly all my gains in a single day! Time to buy the dip I guess.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2021, 01:16:08 PM »
Nearly all? I lost a decent amount of what I gained over the past week, which, as Chino said, was ridiculously exciting for my mundane life. I drive a lot for work some days and it got to the point where I was nearly checking my account at red lights!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2021, 07:07:00 AM »
Not sure if this was posted early but it gave me a good laugh

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2021, 07:09:32 AM »
 :lol yup, I unloaded my Doge this weekend and then it continues to go up

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2021, 07:24:26 AM »
Nearly all? I lost a decent amount of what I gained over the past week, which, as Chino said, was ridiculously exciting for my mundane life. I drive a lot for work some days and it got to the point where I was nearly checking my account at red lights!
I had lost about 75% of my gains at one point. It's bounced back a bit now.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2021, 07:45:42 AM »
So I think I'm going to pump the brakes with doge even though I'm confident we'll see it hit a dollar this year. I took out enough of my earnings to put $4K down on my new roof. I took out my initial investment and a bit extra to treat myself to some great steak over the weekend. I've got 3500 doge left that I didn't pay a cent of my own money for, and I think I'm going to leave it at that and let it ride. It's been fun.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2021, 08:17:33 AM »
So I think I'm going to pump the brakes with doge even though I'm confident we'll see it hit a dollar this year. I took out enough of my earnings to put $4K down on my new roof. I took out my initial investment and a bit extra to treat myself to some great steak over the weekend. I've got 3500 doge left that I didn't pay a cent of my own money for, and I think I'm going to leave it at that and let it ride. It's been fun.   

Well done

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2021, 12:46:29 PM »
Anyone have thoughts on the energy efficiency problems of cryptocurrency?

https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/21/the-debate-about-cryptocurrency-and-energy-consumption/
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2021, 01:52:54 PM »

https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/21/the-debate-about-cryptocurrency-and-energy-consumption/

I think this can be a serious issue.  It definitely makes me wonder if NFTs are truly worth it in the long run.

On another note, I flipped my $40 I had in doge coin when I sold it for $200 last week, just put that $200 into bitcoin when it was 49k today.  If I had more money in my robinhood, I'd probably had put a little more in. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2021, 09:52:34 PM »
Well that was fun while it lasted. I am not in it for the quick turn-around, so will look forward to the next wave of excitement.

There was an article about this in a local source. It was a bit over my head (as all of this is) so I honestly wasn't sure exactly what to make of it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2021, 11:59:23 PM »
Sad story, there are some guys into shitcoins, they contacted me to build a website and told me they could pay me with shitcoins tokens, one they were developing. I asked how many tokens they would give me, they said the equivalent of 0.5 ETH with the condition that I don't dump on them immediately to not bring the price down, I agreed, did the website, they paid me. I was SUPER happy about the 0.5 ETH.

I didn't sell as I agreed with them, and I was very happy because my 0.5 ETH suddenly was 0.6, 0.7 and on and on.

Then I went with my wife and the kids to visit some friends in a region where my connectivity to the internet was non-existing. No signal on my phone, the friends we visited for the whole week didn't have internet connectivity at their house.

Today we came back home we took some time to organized the house, do some cleaning, watch some TV and about 30 minutes ago I checked the chart and almost had a heart attack.

A couple of days ago there was a HUGE green candle that would have turned my 0.5 ETH to at least 5.6 ETH Even if I didn't sell during that huge green candle I would have triple my payment. I have just sold for 0.7 ETH still good but darn, if only...

Right now, I want to get under the table and cry.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2021, 11:50:09 PM »
Do you still have your ETH?

DOGE is having another great run these last couple days. I am ashamed to admit I have thousands of dollars in something I am not sure I know how to pronounce. I have never heard anyone ever say it, I have only read about it.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2021, 07:19:38 AM »
I'm currently around 80% of my crypto portfolio in ETH, waiting for a bit of a pull back to buy more.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2021, 08:37:43 AM »

DOGE is having another great run these last couple days. I am ashamed to admit I have thousands of dollars in something I am not sure I know how to pronounce. I have never heard anyone ever say it, I have only read about it.

Very curious to see how it's going to spike come Saturday when Elon hosts SNL.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2021, 11:49:36 AM »
I didn't realize he was hosting Saturday. I might have to buy some doge

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2021, 11:53:17 AM »
I didn't realize he was hosting Saturday. I might have to buy some doge

Yup, and I'd gather he'll take advantage of the moment to promote it. I'd imagine it's going to be funny af too, especially if he has any talent to act or whether the cast can carry him well.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2021, 06:51:22 AM »

I sold, and seeing current prices I feel stupid.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2021, 07:59:13 AM »
I was thinking over the weekend about crypto wondering if in 5 years I'll regret having put any money in it at all or regret not having put more money in. I think it is much more likely I'll regret not putting more in though there will surely be some crazy ups and downs along the way. Now it's just trying to figure out where to find the money. I could stop contributing to my and my wife's roth IRAs, but I'm not sure I'm ready to go that all-in on crypto. That tax free growth is hard to pass up. I dropped my 401k to just enough to get the full employer match, which frees up $340 a month to put into crypto. I know I should treat this like any other investment and just dollar cost average in every month and watch it grow. I guess I'm just anxious to get enough money in so that if something doubles in value, we'll be talking about some real money instead of just a few thousand bucks. I'm trying to get more aggressive overall with my investments and crypto definitely has the best chance to offer some huge gains. I guess I've been thinking a lot about financial independence and wanting to get the much sooner than I originally planned.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2021, 03:28:43 PM »
Just got off the phone with Vitalik, he's confirmed my suspicions.

There is a sell side liquidity crisis on $ETH. Spot is leading and funding is negative, current price $3250.

May God help us all.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2021, 06:41:21 PM »
I was thinking over the weekend about crypto wondering if in 5 years I'll regret having put any money in it at all or regret not having put more money in. I think it is much more likely I'll regret not putting more in though there will surely be some crazy ups and downs along the way. Now it's just trying to figure out where to find the money. I could stop contributing to my and my wife's roth IRAs, but I'm not sure I'm ready to go that all-in on crypto. That tax free growth is hard to pass up. I dropped my 401k to just enough to get the full employer match, which frees up $340 a month to put into crypto. I know I should treat this like any other investment and just dollar cost average in every month and watch it grow. I guess I'm just anxious to get enough money in so that if something doubles in value, we'll be talking about some real money instead of just a few thousand bucks. I'm trying to get more aggressive overall with my investments and crypto definitely has the best chance to offer some huge gains. I guess I've been thinking a lot about financial independence and wanting to get the much sooner than I originally planned.

That is about where I am at. Of course we don't want to be thinking along the lines of "Why didn't I invest in Amazon and Netflix in the late 90s?!" I max out our IRA, I couldn't bring myself to stop that. We contribute a healthy amount to my wife's defined contribution plan at work, and she has a defined benefits plan too (where, if my math is correct, is where a large chunk of our golden year money will come from). Fortunately, I do not see my wife wanting to retire early. I don't have a ton of money laying around for massive investments elsewhere, but I am putting more in to crypto that I would have imagined before the start of this year.

Just got off the phone with Vitalik, he's confirmed my suspicions.

There is a sell side liquidity crisis on $ETH. Spot is leading and funding is negative, current price $3250.

May God help us all.

Had to look up Vitalik. Thought it might have been an inside guy you know working a burner phone out of an abandoned warehouse.  :)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2021, 05:36:42 AM »

I officially regret this decision  :lol :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2021, 05:36:57 AM »

I regret this decision  :lol :lol
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 06:30:10 AM by Chino »