Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 57795 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #700 on: September 04, 2023, 11:52:59 AM »
Good golly I’ve been struggling. 95 today, 44/51. Front nine had five consecutive bogeys where I put my drive OB….throw in another bogey and a double and yadda yadda yadda……there you got it. What was a shame was my approach shots were pretty good and my putting was good as well. Just couldn’t keep the ball in bounds off the tee.

More of the same on the back. Opened the back nine with an 8,6,6…..(par 4,3,4) so boom….9 over after three holes……round destroyed.

Was such a beautiful course as well and as said….wasn’t hitting all that bad, just my tee shots were atrocious. I was being stubborn too and sticking with my driver instead of just forgetting about it for a round and hitting a hybrid or something off the tee.

I’m thinking I’m taking a week or two off to let the dust settle.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #701 on: September 04, 2023, 12:01:06 PM »
Gary,

Have you ever thought about developing a fairway finder shot for days when a full swing isn't clicking. Go to a range and practice with a slower backswing to about 1/2 - 3/4 back, start the downswing lazily but really accelerate through the ball to a low hands follow through. Some call it a stinger or punch shot. Once you get the hang of it, it's frightfully easy to hit a straight shot into the fairway. You'll lose yardage, and may have to hit more four, five, and six irons into greens, but if your feeling confident with your approach shots maybe that would be best. Just a thought.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: September 04, 2023, 12:47:07 PM »
Gary,

Have you ever thought about developing a fairway finder shot for days when a full swing isn't clicking. Go to a range and practice with a slower backswing to about 1/2 - 3/4 back, start the downswing lazily but really accelerate through the ball to a low hands follow through. Some call it a stinger or punch shot. Once you get the hang of it, it's frightfully easy  :tupto hit a straight shot into the fairway. You'll lose yardage, and may have to hit more four, five, and six irons into greens, but if your feeling confident with your approach shots maybe that would be best. Just a thought.

I really need to. I do have a 17 degree hybrid I hit about 200 yds that I’ve tee’d off with a few times and it’s pretty reliable. I was being a brat today and refusing to use it because I was trying to figure out my drives but ended up costing me 10 strokes.

I should have just done what you suggest and get off the tee in bounds and play ‘smart’

But I like the idea of a dialed back driver for that stinger shot.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: September 04, 2023, 01:26:33 PM »
I've used "punch shots" for years, especially in high winds, for when I'm not clicking on full swings. It's especially useful with the driver on tight fairways (because of the large face) and strangely for short irons (100 yards and closer) when I'm being directionally challenged. The keys (IMO) are to play the ball more in the middle of your stance than normal, tee lower (with the driver of course), not get too quick on the back swing or beginning the downswing, and to follow through with intension, speed, and low hands.

Similar to this video.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #704 on: September 11, 2023, 05:42:06 AM »
I did my happy dance on Saturday. Not only did I crack 80 for the first time, but I did it with a 77. The course is only a par 70, but I don't care  :lol

Just one of those days where I didn't have to think about or focus on any mechanic. I was throwing the head at the ball and everything was just moving as it should. I wasn't hitting many greens in regulation though. I was falling about 5 yards short or pushing a hair right on a lot of them, but a bunch of close approaches and one-putts on the back helped me a lot.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: September 11, 2023, 05:48:07 AM »
Very nice!! I also like that you circle pars, and double circle birdies. That's a very positive approach.  :tup :tup

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #706 on: September 11, 2023, 05:55:14 AM »
Very nice!! I also like that you circle pars, and double circle birdies. That's a very positive approach.  :tup :tup

Cheers

My buddy and I keep a few running $10 bets going throughout the summer on the rounds we play together (So we have $50 up for grabs at season's end): 
- Number of rounds won by score
- Number of rounds won by match play
- Overall score for the summer
- Number of greens in regulations for the summer
- Number of marks on the summer

For the 5th  bullet, having them all circled on the score cards makes it easier to tally them up at the end of the season. It just kind of became a habit. I think there's definitely a psychology to it too. It feels good to look down and see a bunch of them, especially a few in a row. It's like the "/" and "X" on a bowling scorecard. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 06:36:48 AM by Chino »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: September 11, 2023, 06:02:37 AM »
I like that system! Always incentive to improve, rather than just goof off. My only, and I do mean only, golfing buddy is my wife...and she won't bet money. I keep telling her it's a mistake, that she'd find her competitiveness and actually have more fun. But she won't believe me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: September 11, 2023, 09:45:41 AM »
Nice work Brian  :tup

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: September 14, 2023, 11:25:21 AM »
I'll second that :tup :tup

Curious as to whether you played the blues or the whites.  I found I scored better playing from the blues ...  except I would play the whites on the par 3s.  Often, the whites were still backed up to within five yards on those holes.

Oddly.....my friends and I always circled our pars, and were bass ackwards for birdies by using a square.  A big bold square for the rare eagle.

I signed up for a league this year, after missing all of last year with a foot ligament problem. I figured that being able to use the senior tees, I would be able to come close to my 14 handicap.  Shot a 98 my only round, and could barely walk the last four or five holes (even with a cart).  Did a 5 club 'fun round', using driver, 7W, 8 iron, 56 degree wedge, and putter.  Shot a 48 and had to quit due to the aforementioned problem.

Bully for all of you who get to go out.  I'm very jealous.  Enjoy the bad with the good.  Maybe next year for me.  <fingers crossed>
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #710 on: September 15, 2023, 05:46:56 AM »
I only play the whites. I'm in the camp that the blue tees should only be used by low, single digit handicap players. When I was learning to play 25ish years ago, we always referred to them as the "pro tees", and I almost never saw people playing them. Usually if I did, it was the pro from the pro-shop and whoever he was playing with. These days, the tips see a lot of action, and they're full of hacks. I don't get it. The group we played behind from the round above had all four guys playing from the blues. By the 14th hole, they had two full holes open in front of them (we had a 6:56 tee time). In the fourteen holes that aren't par threes, I would wager maybe ten fairways were hit between the four of them combined. I really don't get it. It can't be fun, and they're fucking up the pace of play.

Not calling anyone here a hack!

(Sorry for the rant. It's just something I've been noticing lately)

I've yet to get an eagle. My dad has had two in his life, and they were both on the same hole on the same course, and we've only played that course twice  :lol
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 06:10:45 AM by Chino »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: September 15, 2023, 07:08:18 AM »
I completely agree, Brian. We have a saying around here, we play to your ability, not your ego. I've spent most of my life playing from the white tees, other than in high school (we were required to play from the blue tees) and into my mid twenties. But in those years a carried a 5 handicap. It's now slowly approaching 20. When it does I'm moving to the senior tees.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: September 15, 2023, 08:34:39 AM »
With you fellas. I don't see the point of back tees when I'm far from a pro. I've seen things like this that suggest tees by handicap:

Championship/Back/Black tees: for low-handicap men (less than 5)
Member/Middle/Blue tees: for medium to high handicap men (5-12), low-handicap or long-hitting women and seniors
Forward/White/Yellow tees: for low handicap women and seniors (12-20), and beginners of all types
Red/Gold tees: for high handicap women and seniors (35+), and beginners of all types

I'm typically a white. I don't know my handicap as I've never taken the time to go through the process of 'officially' figuring it out. If I had to guess...I'd say I'm somewhere between 15-20....but again, I've never done the whole deal to officially figure it out.

I do have two buddies who are VERY good at golf so when I play with them it's back tees. I don't mind playing from there with them when we do play but it's certainly not a habit.

I'm going to try and sneak out today and grab at least 9 holes. I have a job site visit at 1:00pm and I'm thinking after that I'm gonna walk on somewhere.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #713 on: September 30, 2023, 12:39:06 AM »
American players looking jittery as hell so far this Ryder Cup. BBC just ran a (tongue-in-cheek) Breaking News caption that a US player had finally found the first fairway.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #714 on: September 30, 2023, 06:20:29 AM »
American players looking jittery as hell so far this Ryder Cup. BBC just ran a (tongue-in-cheek) Breaking News caption that a US player had finally found the first fairway.

I was just perusing the webz, and a 9&7 loss!?!?   :omg: :omg: :omg:  God the Americans suck.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: February 28, 2024, 07:27:36 PM »
Alrighty.....saw this on the ol' socials and wanted to get your thoughts on what you'd do. I don't think these were or are the 'exact' dollar amounts for the distances but it's close enough to have fun with it.

All things being equal it's a 'straight' putt....slight uphill but nothing drastic....a couple degrees uphill....which one you doing?

One Chance:

9" Tap in For $10k

3 Foot Putt for $100k

5 Foot Putt for $300k

7 Foot Putt for $500k

10 Foot Putt for $750k

15 Foot Putt for $1 million

25 Foot Putt for $2 Million

50 Foot Putt for $10 Million

Me, I think I'm going with the 7 Foot attempt. All things being equal might as well try and snag that extra $200k.....the 5 footer is the lowest I'd consider.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: February 28, 2024, 09:07:13 PM »
Having not picked up a club of any type in several years, I'd probably with the with either the 5' or the 7' putt.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: February 29, 2024, 05:16:05 AM »
Fifteen footer for a million. At that range it's about 50/50.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: February 29, 2024, 06:46:54 AM »
My short game is terrible, I'd probably try the 10' putt.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #719 on: February 29, 2024, 06:54:28 AM »
3ft for $100K. That's a life-changing amount of money and I'd likely make it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: February 29, 2024, 07:47:48 AM »
3ft for $100K. That's a life-changing amount of money and I'd likely make it.

This one does seem like the 'gimme' of the group of higher dollar amounts. I'd still at minimum go for the 5 footer but think I'm still sticking with the 7 footer.

You gotta factor in the but pucker factor though.....standing over that knowing it's a million dollar putt or bust....could mess with ya.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: February 29, 2024, 01:40:26 PM »

You gotta factor in the but pucker factor though.....standing over that knowing it's a million dollar putt or bust....could mess with ya.

Nah, I don't really need another million. This would just be a potential bonus.  :biggrin: