Author Topic: Dream Theater - Weekly Musicians Challenge  (Read 10909 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater - Weekly Musicians Challenge
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2021, 04:00:13 AM »
I recorded something! (rough take, be warned)

I just need to find a way to show it to you guys, since I do not have a Youtube account (yet).

EDIT: Here it is! https://youtu.be/_w9CULxUEFQ

Nice rhythm hand technique.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2021, 02:08:54 PM »
Well guys, here is my entry for Week 4!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=295tQDW0fQU&ab_channel=JiM-Xtreme

Close one for me this week. I wasn't quite sure if I was going to get this one up to speed in time, in fact I didn't even expect to record it today - I thought I'd maybe see where I was at tomorrow and decide whether I was going to give this a go, or go with my "Plan B". But I sat down for a bit of a practice session this evening and, as time went by, I could just feel it coming together, getting increasingly comfortable at increasing speeds... and then I had this beautiful and exciting moment when I realised that I was ready, that I was in the zone. So, without even going up to my usual recording room (for fear of losing it due to a change of environment) I just opened up iMovie and hit record, and here is the result!

I have to say I'm quite proud of this one. This particular part has been probably my favourite passage of the track in question for years and years, but I never really had a reason to sit down and put the hours into being able to play it properly. But thanks to this challenge and the encouragement and support I'm getting from you guys, I did it and I'm so happy for it - I feel like my playing is reaching new heights! So grateful to all of you   ;D

Buzzing right now  :biggrin: bring on next week!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2021, 08:01:46 AM »
Sounds awesome dude! I think that's my favorite part of the dance of eternity as well. Glad you are finding yourself able to meet your goals!

I did not have a ton of time to practice this week so I picked an easier part, even still I didn't want to waste any time on the video so I just played it without trying to do any background production or sync up with the actual audio track.

https://youtu.be/-bjxMkIZrjc

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2021, 06:19:00 PM »
Good job guys!

Really like your Bass sound Jim, keep it up.

Skeever, good job, you guys are giving me ideas for future challenges.

Here is my video for this week:

https://youtu.be/7fwQ6o9WF68

I missed week 3, this week I started practicing a different song but realized I wasn't going to get it up to speed by today so switched last minute to ITPOTE.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2021, 07:26:33 PM »
@Vmadera00: Nice job, that lick is one of my favorites to play to test how well my right and left hand are in sync.

@Skeever: Well done, I'll have to add that lick to my list to learn  :tup

@JiM-Xtreme: Great job, glad to hear you're making strides in your playing, it certainly sounded great.

Unfortunately, life got a little too busy this week and I couldn't get a video together in time, but thanks to Vmadera00 I dusted off my old 7-string and will be practicing on the wider neck for next week's submission.  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2021, 11:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the responses, guys! I have played that Count of Tuscany part before, but it's definitely some sort of endurance run. Once you got that down, it's actually not too difficult to do. I didn't film anything this week so far, but I'll get the 7-string (or 8) out as well :)

I just need to find a way to show it to you guys, since I do not have a Youtube account (yet).

Nice rhythm hand technique.

You should join too!

---

@Vmadera: Cool, good start! Now the rest of the song :biggrin:

@Skeever: Nice choice; 6:00 is lots of fun to play! And good job :) Why are you not playing along to the music though?

@JiM-Xtreme: that's great; that part is quite difficult on guitar as well, but it looks like it's way more difficult on bass. Nice job!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2021, 07:42:30 AM »

For a "rough take" that was pretty solid, dude  :tup

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2021, 07:44:57 AM »
Well guys, here is my entry for Week 4!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=295tQDW0fQU&ab_channel=JiM-Xtreme

Close one for me this week. I wasn't quite sure if I was going to get this one up to speed in time, in fact I didn't even expect to record it today - I thought I'd maybe see where I was at tomorrow and decide whether I was going to give this a go, or go with my "Plan B". But I sat down for a bit of a practice session this evening and, as time went by, I could just feel it coming together, getting increasingly comfortable at increasing speeds... and then I had this beautiful and exciting moment when I realised that I was ready, that I was in the zone. So, without even going up to my usual recording room (for fear of losing it due to a change of environment) I just opened up iMovie and hit record, and here is the result!

I have to say I'm quite proud of this one. This particular part has been probably my favourite passage of the track in question for years and years, but I never really had a reason to sit down and put the hours into being able to play it properly. But thanks to this challenge and the encouragement and support I'm getting from you guys, I did it and I'm so happy for it - I feel like my playing is reaching new heights! So grateful to all of you   ;D

Buzzing right now  :biggrin: bring on next week!

That was badass, bro :metal

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2021, 11:51:13 AM »
Hi everyone, I had a couple of rough weeks and haven't been able to keep track of this thread. Are submissions still "open" (in the sense that one can play any song)?

I hope I can follow the thread again. Great submissions everyone!

PS: Sorry if my message is confusing, english is not my native language.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2021, 04:25:21 PM »
Hi everyone, I had a couple of rough weeks and haven't been able to keep track of this thread. Are submissions still "open" (in the sense that one can play any song)?

I hope I can follow the thread again. Great submissions everyone!

PS: Sorry if my message is confusing, english is not my native language.

I don't see why not. A new week starts today, not sure what the theme for this week is though.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2021, 05:06:38 PM »
Yep, today starts a new week, and since people are having a good time with that, I think we can just leave it open indefinitely.

I will update the front page as soon as I get a chance - sorry, but been pressed for time in the past week or so.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2021, 01:57:05 PM »

For a "rough take" that was pretty solid, dude  :tup

Thanks, man!
It's a part I've played many times before and it's a good part to play to keep that right hand in shape. It was a 'rough take', because I was thinking of what to record, because I wanted to join in and I recorded three different (parts of) songs and then stuck with this one. But I must say, looking back at it, it does look pretty cool. :biggrin: My thumb is doing some weird twisting here and there though.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2021, 03:18:49 PM »
https://youtu.be/ZDzEuDij7-E

For this week I wanted to keep it melodic with a part I really like but never tried to learn for some reason. After uploading, I realized I could've done better. some transitions from note-to-note sound disconnected, and I missed a few slides that are played on the original.

I'll admit that I've been a bit discouraged to play lately, so I have not been spending enough time practicing. Let's hope for a better week. On to week 6!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2021, 06:58:56 AM »

For this week I wanted to keep it melodic with a part I really like but never tried to learn for some reason. After uploading, I realized I could've done better. some transitions from note-to-note sound disconnected, and I missed a few slides that are played on the original.

I'll admit that I've been a bit discouraged to play lately, so I have not been spending enough time practicing. Let's hope for a better week. On to week 6!

Sounds great to me! You handled the quick runs well, and nice job with those hammer-ons at the end.

No submission from me this week - the Covid vaccine 2nd shot knocked me on my ass, so I missed a bunch of practice time. I will try and get what I'm working on ready for next week. 

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2021, 12:57:20 PM »

Nice job man! I love that part and you did it justice  :tup

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2021, 01:21:30 PM »
Here's my entry for week 5!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PHsKWXUEio&ab_channel=JiM-Xtreme

Ok, so I should point out that I have pretty much known how to play this particular riff since the album came out... the only bit here which I've never been able to play up to speed before is 0:20-0:22. Although it appears quite simple I've always found it tricky to play that part in time and up to speed, and never really felt inclined to put in the time or effort to nail it. But once again, this is what I love about this challenge... it's really giving me the opportunity to polish up things I've sort-of learned to play in the past, but not properly.

God, this album makes me so nostalgic!! It was the first "new" album I heard after discovering DT. I was 16. Just hearing it takes me right back...

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2021, 05:47:29 PM »

Ok, so I should point out that I have pretty much known how to play this particular riff since the album came out... the only bit here which I've never been able to play up to speed before is 0:20-0:22. Although it appears quite simple I've always found it tricky to play that part in time and up to speed, and never really felt inclined to put in the time or effort to nail it. But once again, this is what I love about this challenge... it's really giving me the opportunity to polish up things I've sort-of learned to play in the past, but not properly.

God, this album makes me so nostalgic!! It was the first "new" album I heard after discovering DT. I was 16. Just hearing it takes me right back...

I've been rediscovering Octavarium lately, really great album and song.

Your playing is great as always. Very consistent week to week  :tup

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2021, 08:17:21 PM »
@Vmadera00: Great job, you really nailed the basics of that solo, and those hammer-on runs were clean  :tup As far as discouragement goes, I feel you there, though I admit that this challenge has done quite a bit to keep me accountable to practice even just a little bit (just having my guitar out and on a stand ready to pick up and play made a huge difference for me). I'm my own worst critic, and if this challenge means anything it's turning my criticisms of my own playing (by my own standards and/or the feedback of others) into a goal that can be broken down into a series of attainable sub-goals. Our only comparison is with the musician we were yesterday, and I see improvement from every participant so far.

@JiM-Xtreme, excellent as always, your tone is great, and that's as much your technique as your gear. That section (and the one it leads to) is one of my favorite parts of Octavarium.  :tup

Like JiM-Xtreme, I also tightened up a song I mostly knew but was sloppy (still am in parts) and haven't played in a while (haven't pulled my 7-string out of its case for over a year!), so this was a great opportunity to brush up on my technique as well as develop more calloused fingertips in areas never touched on a 6-string  :lol.

I screwed up a bit in the chorus (wasn't originally planning to record that far) but I was really happy with how the rest came out so here's my intro (plus some) to Bridges in The Sky.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2021, 07:16:48 AM »
That was cool!

I was planning to play this for the same reason. When I first got my 7-string, this was the first riff I tried to learn, and after realizing how sloppy I was playing it, I gave up and didn't try again. Good job  :metal

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2021, 08:44:47 AM »
My entry for this week, my take on "Regression":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mwA-77MTWI

Maybe I'm cheating a bit because I already had the video, but I really wanted to participate in this and I've been really busy the last weeks.

I have have always find interesting to play/analyse the vocal melodies, also, I'm not a very good singer!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2021, 10:26:22 AM »
Really cool!

Have you used the GeoShred app? Even the free version is tons of fun to play with.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2021, 07:36:41 PM »
My entry for this week, my take on "Regression":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mwA-77MTWI

Maybe I'm cheating a bit because I already had the video, but I really wanted to participate in this and I've been really busy the last weeks.

I have have always find interesting to play/analyse the vocal melodies, also, I'm not a very good singer!

As someone who "cheated" with his first video, welcome to the challenge! That was a really cool blend of two instruments that I had not even considered going into this challenge, so props to you for the arrangement and performance.  :tup

That was cool!

I was planning to play this for the same reason. When I first got my 7-string, this was the first riff I tried to learn, and after realizing how sloppy I was playing it, I gave up and didn't try again. Good job  :metal

Thanks! It certainly feels faster than it sounds, not unlike riding a rollercoaster vs. spectating from the ground, and that required a lot of slow bpm practice in an almost meditative state to keep my hands relaxed. Keep at it, it's certainly within your reach  :tup

I haven't decided what to work on for next week yet, but I can't thank Skeever enough for getting the ball rolling on this, you and all the participants here have encouraged/inspired me to keep doing something that I love, but all too often let fall to the side for "more important" things.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:24:31 PM by Fiery Winds »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2021, 04:47:58 AM »

Bitchin'!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2021, 04:52:07 AM »
You should join too!

I don't have time much anymore to do videos but here are a couple of DT vids I did years back;

Constant Motion solo;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBqcsvtkuTI

Ministry short solo;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1V92or60gg

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:11:24 PM by wolfking »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2021, 03:33:42 PM »
I started this last week before the vaccine kicked my ass, so technically I've been working this into my practice routine for about 1.5 weeks. That said I'll give it another week to see if I can get it a bit more smoothly. Hopefully one day I can play it as good as Fiery Winds  ;D

The bluesy part is deceptively tough!

Erotomania solo 2:
https://youtu.be/QyLrb_8JLVI

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2021, 07:56:44 AM »
You should join too!

I don't have time much anymore to do videos but here are a couple of DT vids I did years back;

Constant Motion solo;

Ministry short solo;

Is that an authentic JPM100 on the Constant Motion video? A friend of mine was obsessed with finding one for years (authentic and not overpriced). He finally found one in 2018. Really nice guitars. Good jobs with those solos.

I started this last week before the vaccine kicked my ass, so technically I've been working this into my practice routine for about 1.5 weeks. That said I'll give it another week to see if I can get it a bit more smoothly. Hopefully one day I can play it as good as Fiery Winds  ;D

Erotomania solo 2:

Really cool! Keep at it man. you have the main structure there, just need to clean it up a bit more  :metal

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2021, 04:01:42 PM »
So, week 6 I think we are on now?

Up until now, my submissions have all been parts of songs that I have either known how to play in the past, or had a vague idea how to play them and just polished them up for this. This week, for the first time I finally decided to have a go at a part I had never yet attempted to play.

So here's my entry for this week... it's Pale Blue Dot once again  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B18mm6hiIpA&ab_channel=JiM-Xtreme

This part was quite fun to learn but whilst doing so, I was quite surprised to discover that JM actually skips one of the notes that the guitar and keys play. I really can't imagine why he chooses to play it this way (and it is definitely a choice - I have watched and slowed down multiple life performances on YT to verify), but to be honest if it was simply to make it easier I wouldn't blame him. The fingering of this part is incredibly awkward and caused such pain on my left wrist after only a couple of practice attempts. And of course, the fact is it is always going to be that much trickier for a bassist to play something like this...  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2021, 08:26:17 PM »
You should join too!

Constant Motion solo;

Ministry short solo;

Is that an authentic JPM100 on the Constant Motion video? A friend of mine was obsessed with finding one for years (authentic and not overpriced). He finally found one in 2018. Really nice guitars. Good jobs with those solos.

Erotomania solo 2:

Really cool! Keep at it man. you have the main structure there, just need to clean it up a bit more  :metal

Yeah mate it is.  Got it about 15 years ago now at a second hand shop for $400!  The store didn't know what they had, on the tag it had something like "Joe Petruni model.'  Best deal I'll ever come across in my life.  Was in perfect condition too.  And thanks.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2021, 10:06:23 PM »
Wow wolfking, what a steal on that guitar! Also, that is some great shredding you've got there, but I'm impressed with your vibrato as well, great job  :tup

@Skeever, for only a week+, that's a great start! Keep at it and you'll flow straight through.

@JiM-Xtreme great job, my guess is maybe he omits that note for "chunking" purposes, breaking up what would otherwise be a continuous stream of notes, but your guess is as good as mine!

I didn't attempt anything ambitious this week, rather I learned the intro riff to Stream of Consciousness while adding the harmony (I'm not sure the official transcription, so I don't know if it's two guitars, guitar+keyboard) but I found it fun to add the extra note to the descending progression. Also, I really need a haircut but I kinda want to wait until I get the vaccine.

https://youtu.be/OO3Pcsmjoyw

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2021, 11:58:50 AM »
I didn't attempt anything ambitious this week, rather I learned the intro riff to Stream of Consciousness while adding the harmony (I'm not sure the official transcription, so I don't know if it's two guitars, guitar+keyboard) but I found it fun to add the extra note to the descending progression. Also, I really need a haircut but I kinda want to wait until I get the vaccine.

https://youtu.be/OO3Pcsmjoyw

Sounds great dude! I really love that song.

Even though it's not really a song as there's no vocals... you know what I mean  :D

Whether that's the way JP plays it or not, it sounds really good. To interpret the parts as you see fit or put your own spin on them is totally in the spirit of the challenge, at least as I understand it. It's all just a bit of fun  :D

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2021, 01:27:48 PM »
When I was in college, I wrote a 10 page analysis paper on Stream of Consciousness. The professor came back to me and told me he started listening to DT because of it  :metal Sounds pretty good though.

I think JP does a lot of stretching playing this. For example, going from the C# down to B, he would keep the root on the 5th string and just move down to the 3rd fret. The way you are playing it sounds good to me, you have the correct notes, which is all that matters  :tup :metal

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2021, 11:13:30 PM »
Sounds great dude! I really love that song.

Even though it's not really a song as there's no vocals... you know what I mean  :D

Whether that's the way JP plays it or not, it sounds really good. To interpret the parts as you see fit or put your own spin on them is totally in the spirit of the challenge, at least as I understand it. It's all just a bit of fun  :D

Thanks! That's definitely what I was going for this time around.

When I was in college, I wrote a 10 page analysis paper on Stream of Consciousness. The professor came back to me and told me he started listening to DT because of it  :metal Sounds pretty good though.

I think JP does a lot of stretching playing this. For example, going from the C# down to B, he would keep the root on the 5th string and just move down to the 3rd fret. The way you are playing it sounds good to me, you have the correct notes, which is all that matters  :tup :metal

That's awesome! This is one of my favorites too, I'd love to read that if you don't mind sharing.

After looking at JP playing it live, I definitely see how I made certain modifications in order to make the larger chords possible.

@Skeever, I put together an updated list of all the submissions so far, feel free to add it to the first post.

Week 1
Skeever - Surrounded Solo
JiM-Xtreme - As I Am bass intro and verse
Vmadera00 - The Astonishing (A Savior in the Square, I think?)
Fiery Winds - Finally Free Acoustic
nikatapi - At Wit's End riff

Week 2
JiM-Xtreme - Pale Blue Dot intro
Fiery Winds - Erotomania Solo
Skeever - Learning to Live Solo
nikatapi - Overture 1928 solo
Vmadera00 - Panic Attack riff

Week 3
JiM-Xtreme - Ytse Jam
Skeever - Learning to Live Solo
Fiery Winds - Erotomania Solo 2
nikatapi - Barstool Warrior

Week 4
JiM-Xtreme - The Dance of Eternity
Skeever - 6:00 Verse
Vmadera00 - In The Presence of Enemies
Elite - The Count of Tuscany

Week 5
JiM-Xtreme - Octavarium
Vmadera00 - Surrender To Reason
Fiery Winds - Bridges in the Sky
nattmorker - Regression

Week 6
JiM-Xtreme - Pale Blue Dot
wolfking - Constant Motion solo
wolfking - The Ministry of Lost Souls solo
Skeever - Erotomania Solo 2
Fiery Winds - Stream of Consciousness

Offline Skeever

« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2021, 07:55:22 AM »
Done! Thanks for picking up the ball  :lol

Good job to everyone who submitted. JiM - I'm glad we've got a bassist here submitting. Watching you play is giving me a deeper appreciation of JM's parts, especially on the newer albums where I often can't hear whether what he's playing is that impressive or not especially given how chunky JP's guitars have become. Seeing is believing!  :tup

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2021, 12:27:49 PM »

Good job to everyone who submitted. JiM - I'm glad we've got a bassist here submitting. Watching you play is giving me a deeper appreciation of JM's parts, especially on the newer albums where I often can't hear whether what he's playing is that impressive or not especially given how chunky JP's guitars have become. Seeing is believing!  :tup

Thanks, that's great to hear! Indeed, JM is fully deserving of the credit he receives as one of the greatest bassists on the planet, even though he never really goes out of his way to show off just how technical he can be. He just plays what is right for the song, providing the perfect foundation for the sound of the band as a unit. For that reason he is one of my greatest inspirations as a player, although I must confess my natural tendency is to show off a bit more...!

He does spend a lot of time doubling JP's riffs/rhythm guitar parts, so if ever you are struggling to clearly distinguish what he is playing it is a fairly safe assumption that that is what he is doing. But that in itself deserves a huge amount of credit, as a lot of these parts were clearly not written to be played on a bass guitar, and yet somehow he manages it!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2021, 06:02:18 PM »
Welp...here is my very humble attempt at the outro to Innocence Faded. There are about 147 mistakes, and I totally flubbed up the speedy ending run. But hey, fake it until you make it! I’d say I’m about 80% there.

As another warning, my “amp” is literally my head phone speakers attached to a cranked up Digitech pedal from 2003. So...it sounds a little rough.

I always loved this outro, reminds me of Journey/Neal Schon on crack.

https://youtu.be/5bsae50hMiI