Author Topic: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist  (Read 38460 times)

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
Re: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist
« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2021, 02:32:53 PM »
Purely logistically speaking, they could alternatingly perform disc 1 and disc 2 of The Astonishing at shows in areas that they didn't get to visit on the TA tour at the time. That way the set wouldn't be entirely dominated by the album and people would get to see both newer and classic stuff alongside the TA material. Then they could film a two-night performance at some bigger city on that tour and just cobble together the full album from these shows for a Blu-ray after all.

But yes, while I do enjoy a lot about that album, let's not kid ourselves - it is quite unpopular and often gets ridiculed, even within the more hardcore fanbase. I'd say even more so by the more casual fans, especially from the metal side. Announcing that their upcoming shows would feature a lot of TA material in sequence would almost certainly be box office poison at this point. So I really don't see this happening.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #211 on: May 14, 2021, 02:40:15 PM »
The warped version is not on L@B '04. It is featured on the Bucharest 2002 official bootleg.
It wasn't warped every time for World Tourbulence.
Correct.  :tup

The version on the Beacon Theater bootleg is mostly normal except for when they double time that one section before "Watch the sparrow falling...". It's that way on L@B '04, as well.
Actually, it's both sped up and slowed down, hence why it is referred to as "warped". You're right about the sped up part in the middle, but don't forget that at the end, they slow down to a crawl.
and I remember that bit very well still to this day. (and I only said that they played the warped version during the four shows I attended. I thought: oh well, what happens now, this is weird. Unusual twist of the arrangement there IMHO. I'd love to know whose idea that was seriously. MP's I guess.)
Pretty sure that it was. I was actually at the Chicago show that was the precursor to it, where they just sped up the middle part, and I'm pretty sure it was just something spontaneous that MP did at that moment. And then at later shows, he decided to also slow it down the outro and the warped version was born! I'm guessing altho I'm not sure, that he never would tell the guys when it was gonna happen. In fact, he might not even know until they would get up to that middle section and he would just decide to do it.

What's interesting is that there is one time when he sped up and slowed down the song multiple times - I heard it on a bootleg, but I can't remember which show it was (maybe later on that leg of the tour, or maybe the Asian leg or summer European run). Even more entertaining, altho I'm gonna guess that the other guys might not have been thrilled with the idea, or maybe he thought it was too much, because that's the only time (AFAIK) that it ever happened.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #212 on: May 14, 2021, 03:07:09 PM »
Well, my memory of the change in the arrangement (which I described) first happened during the second of the four shows of the 2002 tour I attended, and that was in June of 2002, so they played during the European summer leg. (and afterwards too, since I attended two shows in October and November of 2002 as well)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2021, 05:23:30 PM »
I realize that - I saw them do the warped version at the San Diego show they did with Satch and King's X in August. I did an interview with MP at that show, and put in the request for the warped version, which he granted!   :biggrin:

But my point is that the extra warped version I heard on a bootleg was later during that first North American leg (so sometime in March), in Asia (in April) *or* the summer run through Europe - almost 100% positive it wasn't during the NA tour with Satch, nor the last European leg of the tour. I just can't remember which show off the top of my head.  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: May 14, 2021, 11:19:45 PM »
But yes, while I do enjoy a lot about that album, let's not kid ourselves - it is quite unpopular and often gets ridiculed, even within the more hardcore fanbase. I'd say even more so by the more casual fans, especially from the metal side. Announcing that their upcoming shows would feature a lot of TA material in sequence would almost certainly be box office poison at this point. So I really don't see this happening.

Agreed. Wasn't the original tour announced before the album was released? I bought us very expensive tickets (they all were) to the opening two nights at The London Palladium. Compared to the 20ish shows I'd seen prior to that, it received only a lukewarm reception from the audience. People were bored. You could see it. You could feel it. Worse, you could hear it. And so could the band, absolutely no doubt. The second night was better - JP took a little more ownership of the stage - but was still very middling. Every single person I spoke to from the old Voices UK fanclub after that first night agreed they badly needed to add in an additional song as an encore. It says everything that we'd even have enjoyed a rendition of Pull Me Under :biggrin:

Speaking of VoicesUK, I literally knew (Covid very sadly got him) only one person out of all those long-time DT fans - maybe two at a real push - who really enjoyed The Astonishing. My sense - and I have no literal proof of this, of course - is that the majority of the 'normal' fanbase would rank it in the bottom two or three of DT albums.

All that said, I too wish one of the shows had been filmed.

Regarding the first LNF release, I won't be buying it. Do we really need another version of Images & Words? The original YtseJam releases were full of interesting material for the most part (although a couple of them, mostly due to the vocals, should never have seen the light of day - is it the LA show I'm thinking of? It's almost unlistenable vocally).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:09:27 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2021, 08:20:42 AM »
I saw the warped version of Pull Me Under at the Worcester show in 2004. I loved it.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2021, 11:04:03 AM »

Agreed. Wasn't the original tour announced before the album was released? I bought us very expensive tickets (they all were) to the opening two nights at The London Palladium. Compared to the 20ish shows I'd seen prior to that, it received only a lukewarm reception from the audience. People were bored. You could see it. You could feel it. Worse, you could hear it. And so could the band, absolutely no doubt.

I take no pleasure in saying this, but my friend and I left at intermission. It didn't help that these were the worst seats we had ever gotten at a DT show so we were 20 rows back or whatever and sitting. The people in front of us loved it and were singing along to everything but were also just sitting there and nodding their heads. I only liked a few songs from the album so the rest of the time my friend and I just kept sharing glances like, "This is weird." Sadly, we encountered several people that did the exact same thing we did.

All that said, I too wish one of the shows had been filmed.

Same here. I would buy it in a heartbeat but I do that with all DT releases. I want to experience it again and honestly, there is a slim chance I'll change my opinion later in life about this album. It happens from time to time. I'd honestly be happy if it did.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2021, 12:13:50 PM »

I take no pleasure in saying this, but my friend and I left at intermission.

I legit started nodding off at one point.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2021, 12:17:46 PM »

Hypothetically, if that were to happen, I would most definitely be staying home.  I hate to say it but the show I went to on their tour for TA was the worst concert to which I'd ever been.  Every second of that show seemed like an eternity. 

I take no pleasure in saying this, but my friend and I left at intermission.

I legit started nodding off at one point.

I wasn't tempted to leave early.  But, I couldn't wait for it to end.  I nodded off once or twice, too.

As for the first release from their LNF Archives, I'll probably get it.  I managed to get all but one of the original Ytsejam Records releases back in the day.  I'll give the first new one a shot.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2021, 03:05:55 PM »
I went to my first DT concert a few months after my discovery of them in Feb 2016. I had bought TA, and liked just a few songs. I was more into finding the "metal" sounding DT music. I hadn't been to a concert in over 15 years, so I decided to go see them. The concert blew me away so much that I came home and told my hubby and son, "if they do another leg, we are going." And I did 2 more times. After that first show, I fervently dug into their discography and fell in love with all their music, and funny enough, my favorites aren't necessarily the most metal of their songs. I also learned TA lyrics and storyline and played the whole album many times over that summer. Then I bought Scenes, and listened to that for about a year!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: May 16, 2021, 02:24:30 AM »
I went to my first DT concert a few months after my discovery of them in Feb 2016. I had bought TA, and liked just a few songs. I was more into finding the "metal" sounding DT music. I hadn't been to a concert in over 15 years, so I decided to go see them. The concert blew me away so much that I came home and told my hubby and son, "if they do another leg, we are going." And I did 2 more times. After that first show, I fervently dug into their discography and fell in love with all their music, and funny enough, my favorites aren't necessarily the most metal of their songs. I also learned TA lyrics and storyline and played the whole album many times over that summer. Then I bought Scenes, and listened to that for about a year!

I love this! Always great to hear tales of introduction :biggrin:

Wonder how I'd have felt about The Astonishing and the live performance if I'd only just got into DT? Might be a moot point though because I'm not sure I'd have bothered with their back catalogue if The Astonishing had been my first taste.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #221 on: May 16, 2021, 08:16:44 AM »
For me, I was already delving into the catalog, before I heard TA. I was on spotify and knew PMU - that's why I looked them up, wondering "do they have any other music?" LOL. So I was bouncing around, Greatest Hit helped, and then realized, "wow! They just came out with a new album!". When I went to the show I was hot for the songs RoAE, Nightmare, Home, OtBoA.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #222 on: May 16, 2021, 11:34:44 AM »
I completely remember the sensations when I first listened to TA. I enjoyed the first audition, but at the same time two things kept coming back to me. The first was that the guys had a lot of courage to make that record and the second was the certainty that I had how much of the fans would hate the album and would gloat over it.

The atmosphere in the community of local DT fans that I had been actively participating in for almost 15 years was already bad since MP left the band. Listening to TA I thought it was going to get considerably worse. In the end I got it right. The community became the perfect place to bring the angry (very, very angry) people of the band together and became a place of hatred. I think at least 3/4 of the participants were completely irritated with the band. It was an irreparable damage and I had to get out of there.  :facepalm:

And that's why in the next cycle (DoT) I ended up here.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: May 16, 2021, 03:07:20 PM »
Glad to have you here, bro!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #224 on: May 16, 2021, 06:30:13 PM »
Glad to have you here, bro!

:tup  :)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #225 on: May 16, 2021, 07:47:48 PM »
Why did you wait until then to make the switch? I would think you would've bailed in the middle of the TA tour.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2021, 08:23:07 PM »
Why did you wait until then to make the switch? I would think you would've bailed in the middle of the TA tour.

Oh, actually, I really gave up on my old community in the middle of the TA tour, but after that I stayed away from the DT universe for a while. It also helped that during that time I finished writing my thesis and started a new job, so I was very busy.

When the first rumors of a new album surfaced, I thought it was a good time to return to the DT universe. Then I remembered the DTF that I already knew but had never actively participated in.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2021, 09:48:50 AM »
The only think I didn't like about the TA tour was the fact that it was all seated.  The Reno show being the odd venue where they had a pit up against the stage helped make that show pretty awesome.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2021, 10:06:48 AM »
The only think I didn't like about the TA tour was the fact that it was all seated.  The Reno show being the odd venue where they had a pit up against the stage helped make that show pretty awesome.

Thats the show where JP winked at me  :o.  I was standing there thinking nahh.. but then my hubby turns and says "he just winked at you!". I am sure it was nothing, but for a girl at a rock concert?!  lol!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2021, 06:29:55 AM »
Anyone want to split that?  I want the CDs, I have no use for the vinyl...

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2021, 07:10:10 AM »
Don't worry I'm 100% sure a 2CD version will be available.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2021, 07:48:53 AM »
Cool? I guess?

Maybe #3 will be something we haven't heard before....
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2021, 07:51:02 AM »
A live version of The Count of Tuscany? Nice.

https://fb.watch/5MHLduICFb/
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2021, 07:58:21 AM »
2/2 in re-releasing stuff that's already available in some form.

Can't say i'm excited to be honest, and the ridiculous prices of the limited edition vinyls seem a bit like a cash grab.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2021, 08:04:53 AM »
I'm happy to finally get a physical copy. I hate digital stuff.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2021, 08:18:16 AM »
Let's be realistic; most, if not all, of the releases for the foreseeable will be stuff that was already available in some shape or form - they've committed to rereleasing the Ytsejam series, which on its own is 18 cds and 2 dvds (that weren't also released as cds). If we're looking at 1 release a month, that's almost two years worth of material in just getting the Ytsejam stuff out there again, and add in potential fan club stuff and whatnot...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2021, 08:45:56 AM »
2/2 in re-releasing stuff that's already available in some form.

Can't say i'm excited to be honest, and the ridiculous prices of the limited edition vinyls seem a bit like a cash grab.

The Happy Holidays release isn't easily available anymore. Unless, you have the link.

I am happy this is getting a physical release though, as more people would be interested in it. Since, not everyone likes digital releases.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2021, 08:47:36 AM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2021, 09:32:48 AM »
Egad that cover art!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »
Let's be realistic; most, if not all, of the releases for the foreseeable will be stuff that was already available in some shape or form - they've committed to rereleasing the Ytsejam series, which on its own is 18 cds and 2 dvds (that weren't also released as cds). If we're looking at 1 release a month, that's almost two years worth of material in just getting the Ytsejam stuff out there again, and add in potential fan club stuff and whatnot...

Would love to see a new/upgraded version of Cleaning out the Closet from these releases. No need to have two versions of TLF, just the final one, and maybe add a few more non-album tracks like Raw Dog, Cry For Freedom (if such recording exists), some new leftover tracks...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2021, 12:20:04 PM »
No need to have two versions of TLF...

No need to have any versions of TLF  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2021, 12:29:01 PM »

My thoughts exactly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2021, 12:30:23 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2021, 12:47:42 PM »
Egad that cover art!

It's like the Happy Holidays album art got tossed into a blender.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.