Author Topic: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist  (Read 38468 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Re: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2021, 06:53:22 PM »
Isn’t Distant Memories a D/T tour show?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2021, 08:17:35 PM »
Good lord. The only "NEW" things I really wish they release are:

- Any live show of TA
- The full High Voltage 2011 show
- Any D/T tour show
- Download Fest 09

And the ones I see kinda difficult/near impossible to release, but I really wish they do, are:

- The final MP Show
- Any show of the BC&SL era
- PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD RELEASE THE MAKING OF SDOIT, I PRAY TO GOD THEY COULD GIFT US WITH THAT  :hefdaddy
- Tokyo 01/17/2006
- Making of Octavarium, SC and BC&SL

That High Voltage show is the only thing I would be interested in from the last 10 years. Or just any show from that summer tour. It was a great setlist covering every album up to that point.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online faizoff

« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2021, 08:41:06 PM »
Glad they finally got the ball rolling but I'm going to be cautious and see how often they do these updates and how much of the vault stuff gets released. Though I am happy about the ytsejam re-releases, hopefully some of the DVDs get released that were out of stock.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2021, 09:07:25 PM »
I do not have high hopes for this endeavor as it pertains to my own interests, but am glad they are launching something new and potentially exciting for the fans.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2021, 09:10:57 PM »
I'm pretty pumped for this. I will say that I'm a little bummed that after ten years they only come out with ONE new release, let alone being an incomplete show. But excited for the future of these archives.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2021, 04:59:35 AM »
I would love to support this when it becomes possible to purchase one of the releases. Given that there is no touring at the moment, the guys used the opportunity to finally invest in the official bootlegs. Good call.  :tup

Offline Trav86

« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2021, 05:22:57 AM »
They mention remastering the old Ytsejam official bootlegs, and giving them new cover art. So...that shows they have some kind of specific idea which would mean it is some kind of priority.
Can't we find the minds

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2021, 05:25:18 AM »
I wonder if they'll make them available on streaming platforms.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2021, 05:34:11 AM »
Hopefully. They said they’ll be available digitally. And really, in this day and age, a band at their level should release everything on streaming platforms. It doesn’t make much sense not to.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2021, 09:51:09 AM »
They mention remastering the old Ytsejam official bootlegs, and giving them new cover art. So...that shows they have some kind of specific idea which would mean it is some kind of priority.
They mention reissuing, not remastering.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline HOF

« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2021, 10:52:59 AM »

No, they mentioned both. From a little ways up:

Official post by the band:

Dream Theater, in conjunction with Inside Out Music are pleased to officially announce the 'Lost Not Forgotten Archives’, which will see the long-standing Ytsejam Records catalog reissued and remastered alongside some brand new additions to this special collectors series. Released on CD as well as vinyl and digital for the first time, with brand new artwork, they will also be available in limited, autographed special editions direct from the band. Dream Theater are proud to present this exciting new series, starting with the first release, ‘Images and Words - Live in Japan, 2017’. Available for pre-order May 14th, releasing June 25th. https://lostnotforgottenarchives.dreamtheater.net

https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheater/posts/319032042922002

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2021, 03:39:05 PM »
I do not have high hopes for this endeavor as it pertains to my own interests, but am glad they are launching something new and potentially exciting for the fans.

This is my take as well.  A well-shot official bootleg DVD or Blu-ray of a full show from The Astonishing tour is I really care about getting at this point, but I won't hold my breath.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2021, 04:05:38 PM »

This is my take as well.  A well-shot official bootleg DVD or Blu-ray of a full show from The Astonishing tour is I really care about getting at this point, but I won't hold my breath.

I think I remember JP saying they had a full recorded Astonishing show in the can, but no video.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2021, 06:08:41 PM »
I think I remember JP saying they had a full recorded Astonishing show in the can, but no video.
Actually, they've multi-tracked all the shows, so they have plenty to choose from, and I can see them mixing and matching to get the "ultimate" performance with minimal re-recording needing to be done.

As for the video, correct. In fact, JP mentioned that there's very little audience shot video footage because of the ban they had on using phones/cameras during that tour. While he didn't say so, you can kinda tell he's kicking himself now for that decision (of not letting people use their phones/cameras).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2021, 08:14:23 PM »

As for the video, correct. In fact, JP mentioned that there's very little audience shot video footage because of the ban they had on using phones/cameras during that tour. While he didn't say so, you can kinda tell he's kicking himself now for that decision (of not letting people use their phones/cameras).

I know of one complete audience recorded video of The Astonishing tour. You can find it on YouTube.

I'm sure that if they wanted to, they have the entire shows worth of on screen videos they could pull from.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2021, 11:16:24 AM »

No, they mentioned both. From a little ways up:

[snip]

Oh.

Well, that's very good.

I wonder if this means we'll get better quality copies of the FII demos; I always found the low frequencies really overpowering on that release. It would be great to have a version more akin to how some of these demos sounded on Cleaning Out the Closet (or the Hollow Years single, in the case of You Or Me, or the Japanese FII bonus disc for Take Away My Pain).

Regarding Astonishing:
An audio-only release would be quite nice, but it would be GREAT if they could get some audience video and use the tour visuals to make a full version of the Astonishing Live, from various shows. I've certainly seen audience video of the tour go around; I'm aware of a decent chunk of the first London show existing on video.
If the band reached out to fans to share video with them, maybe they would get enough footage to use.
Failing that, as Weymolith notes, the screen videos would also work.

Another potentially fun prospect would be for DT to do a one-off Astonishing show in New York before their next album releases. Film it, and use that.
It would be a big undertaking, and I'm probably kidding myself by even suggesting the possibility of this, but it's a fun thought at least.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2021, 03:19:00 PM »
It looks like they’re releasing these things in partnership with insideout though so I doubt they’d want to put out a video some dude made on his phone.  There would have to be a level of quality control.

I think they will do a one-off show of The Astonishing for posterity one day, maybe in a few years when (they hope) it has grown in appreciation a bit and people would be excited to see it.  After the actual tour for The Astonishing, followed by I&W in full, followed by SFAM in full, I don’t think the appetite is there for it right now.  For a one off, maybe they could even get some guest singers in to play some of the different parts, an orchestra maybe?  Make it a bit of an event.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2021, 06:30:42 AM »
I think they will do a one-off show of The Astonishing for posterity one day, maybe in a few years when (they hope) it has grown in appreciation a bit and people would be excited to see it.  After the actual tour for The Astonishing, followed by I&W in full, followed by SFAM in full, I don’t think the appetite is there for it right now.  For a one off, maybe they could even get some guest singers in to play some of the different parts, an orchestra maybe?  Make it a bit of an event.
I don't think that will ever happen.  No way could they recoup the massive cost (in money or time) for such a thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2021, 12:30:44 PM »
I won’t pretend to have any idea how much stuff costs but most people recoup the costs of a show by selling tickets to said show.  They could then release in expensive deluxe box set editions and stuff.  Like I say though, I’m probably talking out of my arse.  I have no idea what it would cost to put on one show and record it for dvd release.  If Neal Morse can do it for his Jesus Christ The Exorcist thing though, why can’t DT manage it?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2021, 12:35:14 PM »
I won’t pretend to have any idea how much stuff costs but most people recoup the costs of a show by selling tickets to said show.  They could then release in expensive deluxe box set editions and stuff.  Like I say though, I’m probably talking out of my arse.  I have no idea what it would cost to put on one show and record it for dvd release.
Well, I'll just say that there is a reason that most acts don't do one-off shows.  The costs of the production and sets are recouped by a tour, not one night.

Given how divisive the album was among the fanbase, I'm not sure what the market would be after this much time for a deluxe box set edition.

*shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2021, 12:42:00 PM »
The divisiveness is why I’m saying they would have to wait and see if fans grow to appreciate it in the coming years and there’s enough interest.  Even now though, in this very small sample on here, it seems to be the number one suggestion for a future LNF release.

Perhaps they could do this during a tour so they have all the sets and screens already there.

I just think if Neal Morse can manage to get a Jesus Christ The Exorcist show done, why not DT?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2021, 12:59:22 PM »
The divisiveness is why I’m saying they would have to wait and see if fans grow to appreciate it in the coming years and there’s enough interest.  Even now though, in this very small sample on here, it seems to be the number one suggestion for a future LNF release.

Perhaps they could do this during a tour so they have all the sets and screens already there.

I just think if Neal Morse can manage to get a Jesus Christ The Exorcist show done, why not DT?
The production set for The Astonishing was the biggest of DT's career.  It was one reason the show was so awesome.  They won't already be there.

Are you suggesting DT do one night of The Astonishing on their next tour?  With that tour's production and set?  That would be weird, and definitely not worth the trouble.  Not to mention having to learn and prepare a whole other concert's worth of material in the middle of a tour for which they've already prepared.

I'm not saying it's impossible.  I just find it highly unlikely.

There is no comparison between Neal Morse and DT in tour production.  That's just two different animals.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2021, 01:20:40 PM »
Well, I'll just say that there is a reason that most acts don't do one-off shows.  The costs of the production and sets are recouped by a tour, not one night.

This, exactly.  For example, if $X is the cost to put on a single show, the cost to put on TEN shows won't be $10X.  Rather, it would be something like $2X.  If revenue per show is $0.20X, then you're breaking even with the tenth show and will be earning profit from each additional show.  Unless they could get folks to pay through the teeth for a single show, it would be very hard to do it at a profit (even if you add revenue from an album/video).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2021, 01:50:52 PM »

The production set for The Astonishing was the biggest of DT's career.  It was one reason the show was so awesome.  They won't already be there.

Are you suggesting DT do one night of The Astonishing on their next tour?  With that tour's production and set?  That would be weird, and definitely not worth the trouble.  Not to mention having to learn and prepare a whole other concert's worth of material in the middle of a tour for which they've already prepared.

I'm not saying it's impossible.  I just find it highly unlikely.

There is no comparison between Neal Morse and DT in tour production.  That's just two different animals.

They’re not going to get the awesome set back agreed, that’s gone.  Would it really be that weird to use their set during a standard tour though.  It’s usually just lights and screens for DT, nothing particularly pertaining to that particular album.  Is it too different from when they used to do cover album shows mid-tour?  I know they have stayed away from that post Portnoy but it’s not like they’re learning someone else’s album, just re-learning their own. 

Let’s say they’re playing the U.K. on the tour for their current album and say “we’re doing an extra special separate show at the Royal Albert Hall for the 10th anniversary of The Astonishing to be filmed for a live dvd.”

Would it be a bit of a ball ache to arrange? Probably but if (and only if) they felt the interest was there and JP really wanted something special to document this huge undertaking of an album he came up with, it could surely be done.

I just think it’s weird that they don’t have a live dvd of this album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2021, 02:24:34 PM »
They’re not going to get the awesome set back agreed, that’s gone.  Would it really be that weird to use their set during a standard tour though. 
Yeah, kind of.

I was at the final show of the Astonishing tour.  It was awesome.  Seeing it performed in any lesser way has no appeal for me whatsoever, and I love the album.

It’s usually just lights and screens for DT, nothing particularly pertaining to that particular album.  Is it too different from when they used to do cover album shows mid-tour?
They have come a long way since then, production-wise.

I know they have stayed away from that post Portnoy but it’s not like they’re learning someone else’s album, just re-learning their own. 
That would be a huge pain in the ass.  Again, I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it's a big enough pain in the ass that I would be shocked if they did it.

It's definitely weird that they didn't film a show when they were on that tour.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2021, 02:33:21 PM »

I think the reason (excuse) they gave at the time was that live DVD/Blu-ray albums weren't selling as well and they didn't want to do it because of that, but I think it had more to do with TA not being that well received by a significant portion of the fanbase. They also apparently changed their plans mid tour and instead of touring Asia/Australia, etc. for TA, they did the IAW anniversary tour instead, which scrapped all the chances they had to record one of those later shows.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »
I think the only way they could record TA for a video release would be to schedule a 2 night stint in one city  (kind of what they did when they covered a full album) and make the 2nd one the TA set and record it. Major undertaking as far as learning the material and not screwing up but it's feasible. I don't see it happening any other way to be honest.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2021, 07:26:25 PM »

I think the reason (excuse) they gave at the time was that live DVD/Blu-ray albums weren't selling as well and they didn't want to do it because of that, but I think it had more to do with TA not being that well received by a significant portion of the fanbase. They also apparently changed their plans mid tour and instead of touring Asia/Australia, etc. for TA, they did the IAW anniversary tour instead, which scrapped all the chances they had to record one of those later shows.

Bosk has addressed this before, but my recollection was that there was a specific show(s) planned for recording, but that fell through and they weren't able to reschedule.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2021, 07:29:27 AM »
They also apparently changed their plans mid tour and instead of touring Asia/Australia, etc. for TA, they did the IAW anniversary tour instead, which scrapped all the chances they had to record one of those later shows.
They may have changed their mind about touring Asia/Australia, but it didn't have anything to do with the IAW tour, and didn't happen mid-tour, at least to my knowledge.  That tour didn't get announced until the extra added North American leg of the Astonishing tour.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2021, 01:22:26 PM »
The more I think about this release, the less excited I am about it.

With Ytsejam, they were putting out 3-4 releases at a time. This one seems to be just one release (we'll see when the product releases on Friday). And on top of that, it's a) An incomplete live show, would have been much better to get Set One and Encore (both of which were more interesting than I&W); b) something we just paid for a few months ago to stream (I wish they had offered a package for stream/CD/vinyl back then).

I dunno. Maybe they'll release more frequently than the one-a-year that Ytsejam was doing. I don't foresee that, but it could happen. I'm VERY excited for the FUTURE releases, and I'll definitely get this one. I just wish there was more off the bat than just 8 songs/live versions I've already heard.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2021, 06:28:35 PM »

With Ytsejam, they were putting out 3-4 releases at a time. This one seems to be just one release (we'll see when the product releases on Friday). And on top of that, it's a) An incomplete live show, would have been much better to get Set One and Encore (both of which were more interesting than I&W); b) something we just paid for a few months ago to stream (I wish they had offered a package for stream/CD/vinyl back then).

I dunno. Maybe they'll release more frequently than the one-a-year that Ytsejam was doing. I don't foresee that, but it could happen. I'm VERY excited for the FUTURE releases, and I'll definitely get this one. I just wish there was more off the bat than just 8 songs/live versions I've already heard.

Just so you know, it’s won’t be released until June 25. I think you can preorder starting Friday.
Can't we find the minds

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2021, 06:37:15 PM »

it’s won’t be released until June 25.

I don't feel I'm being impatient when I say... Let's F'n Go!
I wished they'd accompany the announcement WITH the release. And how long until the next release?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2021, 07:27:09 PM »
And how long until the next release?
:soon:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2021, 07:41:15 PM »
Exactly. I'm sure there won't be another one before the new album is released, so we're likely waiting until the next tour cycle is over. If this becomes one half concert every two years, why bother?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2021, 07:43:43 PM »

it’s won’t be released until June 25.

I don't feel I'm being impatient when I say... Let's F'n Go!
I wished they'd accompany the announcement WITH the release. And how long until the next release?

Right?? Like, they ANNOUNCED. a PREORDER.WEEKS in advance. lol. Just announce it on June 25th and let me order it right away!

I'm being nit-picky, because this is the kind of stuff I've been hoping they release since they stopped 10 years ago. I just want them to drop the info and the release all at once
WELP.