Author Topic: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist  (Read 38454 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2021, 02:06:52 PM »
One of the reasons I'm kinda sour on Petrucci (beyond him largely mailing it in in terms of songwriting for much of the last 15 years) is when MP left the band he emphatically stated Ytsejam would continue, with more content and support. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think a single release has been added since MP left. Further, many of the previous releases are no longer available. Why commit to providing fans with something then just ignore that commitment?

Now, maybe I'm wrong. Haven't followed DT nearly as much the last 15 years, but I do recall checking in on YR and generally finding the exact same offerings that were available when MP was running things. If so, I'll admit my ignorance.

Just saw this. So even though you haven’t paid much attention to DT, you somehow know JP’s been mailing in the songwriting? Rrriiighttt. My troll alarm is ringing full-bore. JP’s written some amazing songs in the last 15 years, too bad you missed them.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2021, 02:49:18 PM »
One of the reasons I'm kinda sour on Petrucci (beyond him largely mailing it in in terms of songwriting for much of the last 15 years) is when MP left the band he emphatically stated Ytsejam would continue, with more content and support. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think a single release has been added since MP left. Further, many of the previous releases are no longer available. Why commit to providing fans with something then just ignore that commitment?

Now, maybe I'm wrong. Haven't followed DT nearly as much the last 15 years, but I do recall checking in on YR and generally finding the exact same offerings that were available when MP was running things. If so, I'll admit my ignorance.

Just saw this. So even though you haven’t paid much attention to DT, you somehow know JP’s been mailing in the songwriting? Rrriiighttt. My troll alarm is ringing full-bore. JP’s written some amazing songs in the last 15 years, too bad you missed them.

He, the poster, may or may not be trolling, I have no idea.  But it was said from John and the band that all the things Mike did, they would divvy up between them and keep doing, and it didn't really play out that way.  Can't really deny that, even if you don't think it's all that big a deal (fair enough if you don't).

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »
NudesSORRY! WRONG FORUM...

I'd like a BR of that show when they played Erotomania full of mistakes on purpose. Don't remember when and where.

I assume that's impossible, right?
Probably.

They might be able to do a DVD if someone happened to film it on a handheld camcorder, but you would never get Blu-ray-worthy video out of that.

But, even then, to do that at all they would probably need to talk to Mike Portnoy about getting a copy of it (plus the audio) from his archive.
Robo - do you know what show JK1969 is talking about? I don't remember ever hearing about that.
No idea, sorry. It's news to me too.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline darkshade

« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2021, 09:00:53 PM »
An album's worth of Mangini drum solos.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2021, 07:19:18 AM »

He, the poster, may or may not be trolling, I have no idea.  But it was said from John and the band that all the things Mike did, they would divvy up between them and keep doing, and it didn't really play out that way.  Can't really deny that, even if you don't think it's all that big a deal (fair enough if you don't).
Yeah, but that's not the part of the comment that Dream Team was taking exception to.  He was talking specifically about JP's songwriting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2021, 11:08:08 AM »

Yeah, but that's not the part of the comment that Dream Team was taking exception to.  He was talking specifically about JP's songwriting.

And that is his Opinion, and is also, not what he was talking about anyways....

Here's what I think happened with regards to Ytsejam. MP was the only one who is adamant about keeping live show recordings. He also went out of his way to listen to these archives find one that is a really good show, and what he felt deserves to be heard by the fans. MP himself is a music fan, and did things with the band that he wanted himself as a fan, and now was able to do those things with his own band.

The other guys realized just how much MP did, and took upon himself to do, that when they tried, they just couldn't do it. So they left it alone, and didn't bother, because they are not MP and do not have that Fan Mindset that MP has. It's a lot of work to make an unofficial bootleg. And the guys have other interests and families, as well. MP's interest was these bootlegs, he enjoyed doing all the work involved in releasing these bootlegs.

That's why I say, us DT fans, were spoiled by Mike Portnoy, with all these goodies that he took upon himself to give us. That was nice, but now since it's gone, it's like people are upset because the benefits are gone.

The only member that I see that is close to how MP's mindset was, is Jordan Rudess. He likes to film, and record, things. And mostly all the videos we've seen from behind the scenes came from JR. MP was the one who always had a camera, he was the one whom recorded the behind the scenes documentation for albums, all those were recorded by MP's Camera. If he hadn't done so, there would be no Behind The Scenes. The band hired a filming crew to document the current album progress, that would've been done by MP himself. But fans want a behind the scenes, and honestly, this is the time to document that process.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2021, 11:48:19 AM »
And that is his Opinion, and is also, not what he was talking about anyways....
Stadler responded to Dream Team about his response to MHStrawn.  But he responded as if Dream Team was responding to MHStrawn's entire post, which he wasn't.  Look, and follow the bolded sections.

Stadler's response didn't even touch on JP's songwriting, which was the only part of MHStrawn's post to which Dream Team responded.  He didn't even address any of the YtseJam stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2021, 07:29:32 AM »
My only point - ONLY point - was that whether MHStrawn was trolling or not wasn't material to the underlying facts.  I'm not weighing in whether it's good or bad, whether they SHOULD have continued or not, or whether John's songwriting has improved, declined, or stayed the same. 

IF Dream Team was ONLY talking about John's songwriting, then fair enough; that's not a fact, that's one fan's opinion that cannot be proved one way or another anyway, so it's sort of moot.   The IMPLICATION, at least as I read it, though, was that the concept of "TROLL" invalidated ALL of what MHStrawn was saying, and I just wanted to go on record as saying that was a false assumption.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2021, 07:38:48 AM »
Yes, but it seems to me that it was the disparaging of JP's songwriting that led to the aforementioned Troll accusation.

OK, I know this is the internet and all, but this is a pretty silly thing to be talking about.  Sorry to drag it out like this.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2021, 08:51:34 AM »
I am interested in why he thinks and feels JP is mailing in the songwriting.

I am not calling him a Troll over that opinion either.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2021, 12:25:47 PM »
I understand that A Dramatic Turn of Events and the self titled are usually considered safer efforts, even if I wouldn't consider them to be mailing things in, but with stuff like the new musical directions and vast structures of Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds, as well as the more densely packed and dynamic songwriting of both TA and D/T (both of which also including songs with novel ideas like Three Days, Lord Nafaryus, Room 137 and Pale Blue Dot), the accusation puzzles me.

Offline omie

« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2021, 12:23:15 PM »
There's a release date for "Lost Not Forgotten Archives" Does this mean they'll be releasing several releases from different years?
https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Not-Forgotten-Archives-Images/dp/B093C8287F/ref=sr_1_450?dchild=1&qid=1619288036&s=music&sr=1-450

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2021, 12:50:40 PM »
I am interested in why he thinks and feels JP is mailing in the songwriting.

I am not calling him a Troll over that opinion either.

To be fair, I haven't been all that impressed by any of the band's songwriting since the self-titled, JP's included. The magic just seems to be gone.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2021, 01:00:58 PM »
There's a release date for "Lost Not Forgotten Archives" Does this mean they'll be releasing several releases from different years?
https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Not-Forgotten-Archives-Images/dp/B093C8287F/ref=sr_1_450?dchild=1&qid=1619288036&s=music&sr=1-450

Nice find! Interestingly enough, the one you linked only lists the IAW part of the set (I thought they were going to include ACOS too) and the biggest surprise to me is that it'll also be released under IO Music.

Maybe they'll do several releases under the same LNFA series and even a box set of all of them if they do offer physical media.
EDIT: They're offering this as CD and Vinyl. Interesting.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 01:06:26 PM by gzarruk »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2021, 06:46:25 AM »
Not to be a naysayer - at all - but Amazon isn't always foolproof.   I'm sure the title and artwork is accurate, but beyond that, I'm not taking anything as gospel from there.   

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2021, 04:47:18 PM »
the cdversion says it's about an hour, and the vinyl version over 2hours.. :huh:

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2021, 05:06:07 PM »
the cdversion says it's about an hour, and the vinyl version over 2hours.. :huh:

The vinyl, I'm sure, comes with the CD. Total time is probably vinyl+CD.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2021, 06:20:56 AM »

Offline dvargas

« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2021, 06:34:20 AM »
Website now live - https://lostnotforgottenarchives.dreamtheater.net

Awesome news.  Need to get my hands on some of those YtseJam releases.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2021, 07:20:06 AM »
Coming June 25, 2021 pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!

Part Of The "Lost Not Forgotten" Archives! Previously Unreleased Live Recording!
The Entire Images And Words Album Performed Live!

Dream Theater, the two-time GRAMMY-nominated and millions-selling legends of progressive music, are pleased to announce the "Lost Not Forgotten Archives." This fresh collaboration between the band and record label InsideOutMusic will see the virtuosic quintet's long-standing Ytsejam Records catalog reissued, alongside some brand-new additions to this special collector's series.

Ytsejam Records previously played host to Dream Theater's official bootleg release collection comprising of live shows, demos & studio outtakes from throughout the band's prolific career. As part of "Lost Not Forgotten Archives," the entirety of the collection will be reissued on CD, as well as for the very first time on vinyl and digital, with brand new artwork and packaging. The band have also been busy digging into their encyclopedic vault to find some very special, previously unreleased material. The first brand new release in the reinvigorated archival series will be a recording of the band's start-to-finish performance of their classic second ever studio album, Images and Words, taken from their performance at Tokyo, Japan's legendary Budokan venue in September of 2017.

Following this inaugural "Lost Not Forgotten Archives" release, the extensive back catalog of Ytsejam Records offerings will start to be reissued throughout the next several years. Plenty more previously unreleased material will get its initial publication, presenting an absolute treasure trove of Dream Theater music for fans both old and new to explore.

https://elusivedisc.com/dream-theater-lost-not-forgotten-archives-images-and-words-live-in-japan-2017-2lp-cd/?fbclid=IwAR3kPJor3-QYzORlpgGZ9rpnOWAUbTAFqsDnuMlD5amj17TXVJw8WUFI5Jk
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2021, 08:11:59 AM »
"...Following this inaugural "Lost Not Forgotten Archives" release, the extensive back catalog of Ytsejam Records offerings will start to be reissued throughout the next several years"
So, finally it seems that, although only reissues, DT will embrace to release something from the past with MP. Let's hope they will release, at some point, the "lost not forgotten" DVD from Black Clouds japanese tour.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2021, 08:16:54 AM »
Sucks that the video portion won't be released.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2021, 08:18:38 AM »
I feel like we're going to be sitting here a year from now with this one release.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2021, 09:49:14 AM »

I'm not much of a complainer, but we were waiting for this release for almost 4 years, and release less than half of the show and only audio? Business reasons and all, but unfortunately it's disappointing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2021, 09:56:01 AM »

I'm not much of a complainer, but we were waiting for this release for almost 4 years, and release less than half of the show and only audio? Business reasons and all, but unfortunately it's disappointing.

Not disappointing to me. What's disappointing is them not releasing A Change of Seasons as well.

I also, was not expecting them to release the TV special as well. Depending on who has the rights to that show, that could also play into it.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2021, 11:42:33 AM »
I feel like we're going to be sitting here a year from now with this one release.

I feel what you’re feeling.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »
So...the initial/only offering is a $250 vinyl record???

Autographed is cool, but seriously??  Am I supposed to listen to this while I drink my $200 bottle of JP bourbon?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2021, 01:49:51 PM »

Autographed is cool, but seriously??  Am I supposed to listen to this while I drink my $200 bottle of JP bourbon?

This link has a 2LP + 1 CD bundle for $40 (https://elusivedisc.com/dream-theater-lost-not-forgotten-archives-images-and-words-live-in-japan-2017-2lp-cd/?fbclid=IwAR3kPJor3-QYzORlpgGZ9rpnOWAUbTAFqsDnuMlD5amj17TXVJw8WUFI5Jk). My guess is the official link hasn't been finished yet, that's why they haven't announced it.

Offline HOF

« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2021, 03:32:42 PM »
I’m in for some of the demo CDs I never was able to get from Ytsejam if they aren’t in some ridiculous combo package.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2021, 04:06:06 PM »

This link has a 2LP + 1 CD bundle for $40 (https://elusivedisc.com/dream-theater-lost-not-forgotten-archives-images-and-words-live-in-japan-2017-2lp-cd/?fbclid=IwAR3kPJor3-QYzORlpgGZ9rpnOWAUbTAFqsDnuMlD5amj17TXVJw8WUFI5Jk). My guess is the official link hasn't been finished yet, that's why they haven't announced it.

If there's a CD only option, I might be interested, but I'm not paying money for useless vinyl.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline devieira73

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2021, 04:53:15 PM »
Official post by the band:

Dream Theater, in conjunction with Inside Out Music are pleased to officially announce the 'Lost Not Forgotten Archives’, which will see the long-standing Ytsejam Records catalog reissued and remastered alongside some brand new additions to this special collectors series. Released on CD as well as vinyl and digital for the first time, with brand new artwork, they will also be available in limited, autographed special editions direct from the band. Dream Theater are proud to present this exciting new series, starting with the first release, ‘Images and Words - Live in Japan, 2017’. Available for pre-order May 14th, releasing June 25th. https://lostnotforgottenarchives.dreamtheater.net

https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheater/posts/319032042922002

Offline Trav86

« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2021, 05:04:49 PM »
I’m excited about the digital remastered rereleases of the ytsejam bootlegs.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2021, 05:05:02 PM »
Ever since the YJR site closed, I've been on a mission to buy some missing stuff.  But I've been smart about it, either buying directly from someone here who needed some extra cash (so I was more than happy to pay a little over YJR prices), or by buying on Ebay only when the final price + shipping came out to what it would have been on the YJR site.

Still, it's nice to know that I can fill in some gaps if I want to of the OG sruff.

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2021, 06:35:40 PM »
Good lord. The only "NEW" things I really wish they release are:

- Any live show of TA
- The full High Voltage 2011 show
- Any D/T tour show
- Download Fest 09

And the ones I see kinda difficult/near impossible to release, but I really wish they do, are:

- The final MP Show
- Any show of the BC&SL era
- PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD RELEASE THE MAKING OF SDOIT, I PRAY TO GOD THEY COULD GIFT US WITH THAT  :hefdaddy
- Tokyo 01/17/2006
- Making of Octavarium, SC and BC&SL
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)