Author Topic: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist  (Read 38450 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2021, 06:14:44 AM »
Hopefully MP allows his time in the band to be represented. He may not legally have a choice, but I would doubt JP would go against his wishes.

We shall see.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2021, 06:18:11 AM »
Hopefully MP allows his time in the band to be represented. He may not legally have a choice, but I would doubt JP would go against his wishes.

We shall see.
G minor cadence.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2021, 06:21:13 AM »

MM era:
- The Astonishing Live
- Another Images show with Don't Look Past Me

MP era:
Just give me what he was working on in 2010...
- Rush covers disc
- Black Clouds Live DVD (two shows, including his last)
- Derek Era Xmas show

I'm good with all of this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2021, 07:43:04 AM »
I'm thrilled at this idea but not holding my breath for any quick updates. And am loving all the suggestions here. I'd take them all honestly.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline DTA

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2021, 08:30:23 AM »
I was just going through a list of LNF material I'd like to see come out earlier today. I actually figured it would just be stuff from the Mangini era, since MP supposedly has all the recordings from 1985-2010 in his personal archive. Is that not the case? Have they come to some understanding with MP on releasing more stuff from his era? In that case, my list will be growing exponentially.

MM era:
- The Astonishing Live
- 30th Anniversary tour
- Budokan bluray
- Another Images show with Don't Look Past Me
- Demo discs or Making of's of the last four albums

MP era:
Just give me what he was working on in 2010...
- Making of Six Degrees
- Rush covers disc
- Black Clouds Live DVD (two shows, including his last)
- Derek Era Xmas show

This is one I'd be most interested in. I know the setlists had some variation so I'd like a collection of all the songs played at the Xmas '98 shows, including live versions of the FII b-sides.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2021, 08:36:04 AM »

We shall see.
G minor cadence.

Yes, we shall see.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2021, 08:36:54 AM »

We shall see.
G minor cadence.

Yes, we shall see.
yes, sorry, the cadence occurs afterwards :D

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2021, 08:54:55 AM »
I'd love a good quality recording of Don't Look Past Me from the I&W tour in 2017.

I wouldn't mind a full video from The Astonishing.

And this.

TA was still digesting when I saw it live. I'd love to go back and revisit it now that it's... aged.
It was always very baffling to me that they didn't do a release from that tour. TA was made to be performed on a stage, and it showed. I'm quite certain the overall impression of the album would've been much more positive if it got a good live release to support it. The stage design, the visuals and the overall vibe was unlike anything DT has ever pulled off.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »
I'm Jon Snow, I know nothing, but I'd like to think that this is a result of something more positive.  A healing of the wounds, a by-product of the rekindling of several relationships within the band.   A metaphorical "hey, it's been ten years; let's get some of this stuff out there".   Mike has been home, he's been spending time in his archives and whatnot; maybe it's a result of that.  Clearly, with LTE3 and John's solo album there have been business discussions had, and agreements made.   I can guess (and that's all they would be) several reasons why the name change, but until I hear otherwise I'm opting to look at this as a productive step forward for the behind the scenes relationships.

Offline DanLore

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2021, 09:50:54 AM »
A short list:

- A TA show, video preferably, but audio would be fine
- A full BC&SL show, audio or video
- The Ronnie Scott's '95 gig

Lastly, although probably not a candidate for this project, I'd love a complete Roseland 2000 video in 5.1, minus the video animation.  The DVD release was good, but could have been so much better.

Just my two cents.

DanLore

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2021, 10:20:04 AM »
Hey Dan!   Good to see you. 

I can't remember what it is now, but I recall having a question, after MP's site closed down, and thinking "DanLore would know the answer to this!".  :)   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2021, 11:06:59 AM »
I mean, anything really.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2021, 11:52:13 AM »
Yes, I'm sure there will eventually be as broad enough of a selection of stuff to offer something for everyone. I'm interested in what they choose to start things off.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 12:53:33 PM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2021, 01:41:48 PM »
I'm sure there are probably legal hurdles, but I'd really like to get some video/recordings of the various Dream Theater/Queensryche combined encore songs from the Escape from the Studio Tour.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2021, 02:29:04 PM »
I'm sure there are probably legal hurdles, but I'd really like to get some video/recordings of the various Dream Theater/Queensryche combined encore songs from the Escape from the Studio Tour.

Maybe they could make the legal agreements public.   :biggrin:

That might be more interesting to me than any recorded material I don't already have.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline PetFish

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2021, 07:00:22 PM »
I really can't think of much that would really make much sense other than a live audio/video of The Astonishing tour.

Since MP left there's really nothing "special" about what DT does.  Each show of a tour is nearly identical and pretty much exactly as-recorded.

- They rarely do live covers, certainly not cover albums.
- No live medleys
- They definitely don't do unique setlists
- Any demo tracks they make would be nearly identical to the final versions
- They write as much as they need to for an album and that's it, so no more unreleased demos
- No "making of" in-studio videos (unless they've been doing them each time but keeping it quiet)

I'm hoping it actually *is* a collaboration with MP, or at least they have access to his vault, so we can get the rest of the releases that MP had planned before the split.

Other than that I'm hoping for The Astonishing and possibly this last streaming show they just released but there's really not much else out there the last 10 years.  Possibly, *maybe*, the full drummer auditions could be released.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2021, 09:24:24 PM »
Since MP left there's really nothing "special" about what DT does.  Each show of a tour is nearly identical and pretty much exactly as-recorded.

I get what you mean and I agree to some extent, but I'm pretty sure they can put together lots of cool stuff from these past 10 years. You got a lot of cool things happening in shows (remember the time when the whole crew made this badass Halloween dance on stage during the ADTOE tour?). You have jams, improvised solos and surely lots of backstage goodness. Although things certainly changed with the departure of MP, it's kinda unfair to think they've become this boring one-setlist bad. I know there's some truth to that lol, but you gotta look at the bigger picture.

I mean, I know they sacrificed a lot of things by moving their entire production towards a more perfected light/backing track/video/click-driven show but nevertheless interesting things have happened on stage these years. Maybe not as much as during the MP era, but hey. You can't have everything.

One of the things that I've liked so far of the MM era is that, although they have clearly not released as much stuff as during the MP era, the things they release seem much more polished sound and videowise. I know I'm in the minority here, but lots of the official bootlegs have pretty subpar mixes and video quality that really don't make me excited to hear them (actually, the vast majority). I know they're cool gifts and they're basically better than nothing and that MP basically dealt with what he was given but meh (I'm still very grateful that he kept up so long with it, tho). Why would I want to check out the Chile 2006 show when I have a vastly superior show in every aspect from the exact same tour to actually invest my time on? Lots of official bootlegs had a watch-once-and-you're-good thing going for them, but you still got some excellent ones, like the Dark Side of the Moon show which is amazing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2021, 10:29:18 PM »
Immediately transition all the stuff that was on Ytsejam Records to the new... whatever it is.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2021, 04:19:24 AM »
I'd like to have Trial of Tears with the new intro they used to improvise in some legs during the DT12 tour. Don't Look Past Me with MM and LTE jams in 2012 with MM.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2021, 07:01:57 AM »

Maybe they could make the legal agreements public.   :biggrin:

That might be more interesting to me than any recorded material I don't already have.

HAHA, I'd actually be on board with that too.  :)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2021, 10:08:13 AM »
I'd much rather have a live video of TA than just live audio. I can listen to the album for a audio experience. That tour had an amazing light show and visuals that really bring it to life.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2021, 10:21:53 AM »
I'd much rather have a live video of TA than just live audio. I can listen to the album for a audio experience. That tour had an amazing light show and visuals that really bring it to life.

I don't think they recorded video for it, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2021, 10:35:33 AM »
Exactly.  As far as I know, there is no video.  At least, not a complete show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2021, 11:00:41 AM »
Exactly.  As far as I know, there is no video.  At least, not a complete show.
There is a couple of audience shot ones that exist. You would think that the band had a crew member film some of those shows from the soundboard area at least. It had to have been documented fo some extent..  🤔
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2021, 11:45:27 AM »
You would think that the band had a crew member film some of those shows from the soundboard area at least. It had to have been documented fo some extent..  🤔

I doubt it.  There wasn't any specific reason to, so why would they?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2021, 02:01:09 PM »
I doubt it.  There wasn't any specific reason to, so why would they?

Because if you believe hard enough, it will be!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Mojado Ilegal

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2021, 02:44:21 PM »
[REDACTED]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 02:28:48 PM by Mojado Ilegal »

Offline illusionist

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2021, 03:40:45 PM »
I hope for some unreleased material.
Either from DT sessions,or from LTE.

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2021, 05:41:35 PM »
- Anything from the 1st North American leg of the Awake Tour
- Entire Uncovered/Rotterdam fan-club shows (I know there are bootlegs of them, but would still be great to have really high quality versions of them)
- Any of the 95', 96' or 98' X-mas shows (particularly 12/28/98 and 12/30/98, those shows are notoriously difficult to find)
- Anything from the 1st European leg of the Scenes Tour back in 99'
- Either the 1st pre-show from 2002 or 2004
- Anything from the Escape From The Studio leg
- Any show from 2009 or 2010 (in particular the final show with MP)
- Either the 1st show with MM in the band, or any special show from the ADTOE tour
- Any show from 2017 that has Don't Look Past Me/To Live Forever in the set

All of this as I'm partial to the earlier era. Also, if it exists, it would be amazing to see/hear more on the making of A Change of Seasons.

Offline DanLore

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2021, 10:19:27 AM »
Hey Dan!   Good to see you. 

I can't remember what it is now, but I recall having a question, after MP's site closed down, and thinking "DanLore would know the answer to this!".  :)   

Well, if it ever comes to mind, ask away.  (Remember, my brain cells are dying every day;-)  Good to see you too.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2021, 08:44:03 AM »
Hopefully they'll be able to release shows with MP.

I wonder if the timing (10 years since the split) plays into the transition from Ytsejam to LNF.

Possible.  There may have been something in the agreement between DT and MP that had a 10 year period where they couldn't do certain things.  That might also explain why YJR coincidentally just stopped selling.  The timing might suggest something along those lines.  But that is pure guesswork on my part--I don't know anything one way or the other.

It could also just be that, although they had good intentions 10 years ago, but never made it a priority, and now that they are finally getting around to it, they just decided a new/different name was appropriate.  :dunno:

Honestly, Lost Not Forgotten is a better name for this sort of thing anyway. It perfectly fits what they're doing with this.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2021, 07:46:58 PM »
Let's not forget about any demos that may be in the vault.  For instance, anyone who purchased The Astonishing novel received the various Gift of Music demos and unused riffs that were captured on John's personal handheld recorder (or was it his phone?).  More material like that would be welcome.  I am especially interested in hearing the drum machine versions of the Dramatic Turn of Events sessions.  INSERT JOKE HERE:  "Or maybe we already got the drum machine versions on the official album release vis-a-vis Mangini's performance."

Offline HOF

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2021, 04:05:13 PM »
For me, since there's so little in terms of b-sides and such, let's get those complete shows working:

- Ronnie Scott's;
- Anything from The Astonishing tour;
- The unplugged show from Rotterdam;
- Mangini's first show with the band;
- Portnoy's last show with the band

Yep, Ronnie Scott’s and Rotterdam would be first on my list as well. Although there are still some B sides and demos from the ytsejam series I never got that I’d like to have as well.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2021, 05:36:28 PM »
There’s nothing I can really think of other than a video of The Astonishing show but, from all accounts, they never made one.

I will definitely get the Images and Words thing that they streamed the other day though.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2021, 11:03:22 AM »
This is exciting news, I would like to see:

• A Dramatic Turn of Events Drum Machine Demos
  • Distance Over Time Live Demos
  • High Voltage 2011 Full Video Concert (Mainly because I was there)
  • The Astonishing Live