Author Topic: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist  (Read 38443 times)

Offline Skeever

Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist
« on: February 01, 2021, 01:15:04 PM »
So, now that we've got word of the new "Lost Not Forgotten" archives, does anyone have anything they are hoping to see available?

I've got several pages of stuff I'd like to see, but maybe I'll just start with two things:

- Some representation of BC&SL tour
- Bluray reissues of ANYTHING they put out prior to that (pretty sure it's all out of print these days)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 01:17:50 PM »
BC&SL for sure. But more importantly, anything from the TA tour
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 01:30:49 PM »
TA live and the DT15 tour (whenever that will happen and in case there might not be an official live album from that tour) and Budokan 2017 as mentioned.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »
So, now that we've got word of the new "Lost Not Forgotten" archives

??
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 01:37:35 PM »
So, now that we've got word of the new "Lost Not Forgotten" archives

??
Jordan and The Petruccinator mentioned (during the Budokan Q/A) that the Lost Not Forgotten Archives will be the successor (as it were) to Ytsejam Records. A thorough statement will be issued soon apparently.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 01:42:52 PM »
For me, since there's so little in terms of b-sides and such, let's get those complete shows working:

- Ronnie Scott's;
- Anything from The Astonishing tour;
- The unplugged show from Rotterdam;
- Mangini's first show with the band;
- Portnoy's last show with the band

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 01:47:00 PM »
A show from the 30th Anniversary tour.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 01:50:24 PM »
Yes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 01:50:40 PM »
Hopefully they'll be able to release shows with MP.

I wonder if the timing (10 years since the split) plays into the transition from Ytsejam to LNF.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 01:58:17 PM »

This.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 02:34:24 PM »
full auditions

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »

Unless part of the agreement they made when MP left the band included such a prohibition (which seems unlikely), there is no legal reason why they couldn't.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 03:30:54 PM »
This but video. We all know it exists, somebody claimed to have it over a decade ago, but I've never seen any solid proof of it being in anyone's but the band's and MP's hands.

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »
This but video. We all know it exists, somebody claimed to have it over a decade ago, but I've never seen any solid proof of it being in anyone's but the band's and MP's hands.

Over a decade? MP?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 03:38:26 PM »

Over a decade? MP?

My (funny) mistake. I intended to only quote Stadler's line about "The unplugged show from Rotterdam", but deleted the wrong line.  :lol
- Marco

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »

Wow that is Astonishing..

...and Marco! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 04:01:56 PM »
Wow that is Astonishing..

...and Marco! :metal

Honestly, don't know what's more Astonishing: me posting or you remembering my name, after all this time!

If I had to put together a wishlist, anyway, I'd go for:

- A retrospective on the unplugged experiment of mid-late 98, possibly with video.
- A collection of live improvisations from the Train Of Thought tour. By far their most inspired tour in that regard.
- The 2011 High Voltage festival (I'd hope more than just Peruvian Skies exists somewhere). We need a live version of TCOT.
- The June 8th 1992 show, when they opened for Iron Maiden. I would encourage anyone to go look for the audience recording of the show, to understand why James was allegedly asked to join IM after the performance.

- Marco

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 04:07:57 PM »
I seriously doubt this would happen but I would love to hear the ADTOE demos with a drum machine to compare to the final product.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 04:09:11 PM »
- The June 8th 1992 show, when they opened for Iron Maiden. I would encourage anyone to go look for the audience recording of the show, to understand why James was allegedly asked to join IM after the performance.

Hell yes to this! I'd even let them use my avatar for the album cover! My only regret is not taking pics of DT that night.

I do have the boot, and James is ridiculous on it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 04:17:43 PM »

I wonder if the timing (10 years since the split) plays into the transition from Ytsejam to LNF.

Possible.  There may have been something in the agreement between DT and MP that had a 10 year period where they couldn't do certain things.  That might also explain why YJR coincidentally just stopped selling.  The timing might suggest something along those lines.  But that is pure guesswork on my part--I don't know anything one way or the other.

It could also just be that, although they had good intentions 10 years ago, but never made it a priority, and now that they are finally getting around to it, they just decided a new/different name was appropriate.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 04:25:12 PM »
I think everything in my list has been mentioned already in previous posts, but here it goes anyway:

- Anything from their 30th Anniversary tour/Wacken 2015
- Some form of TA Live.
- Budokan 2017, but the whole thing.
- The 3 DT songs played from MM's audition.
- The first MM show or their High Voltage 2011 show which I believe also exists as pro-shot video.

I don't think they'll bother releasing anything from the MP era, at least not at first.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 04:27:36 PM »

Possible.  There may have been something in the agreement between DT and MP that had a 10 year period where they couldn't do certain things.  That might also explain why YJR coincidentally just stopped selling.  The timing might suggest something along those lines.  But that is pure guesswork on my part--I don't know anything one way or the other.

It could also just be that, although they had good intentions 10 years ago, but never made it a priority, and now that they are finally getting around to it, they just decided a new/different name was appropriate.

That I definitely don't believe. And by saying that, I don't mean anything sinister about it.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »

It could also just be that, although they had good intentions 10 years ago, but never made it a priority, and now that they are finally getting around to it, they just decided a new/different name was appropriate.  :dunno:

Or maybe it took 10 years for business relationship between MP and DT to cool down to a level when collaboration more or less under the table to release pre-2010 material is possible?

Hell yes to this! I'd even let them use my avatar for the album cover! My only regret is not taking pics of DT that night.

Wait, you were there? Was it your first impact with the band? What a scene it must have been!

Also yes, James's live performance is obscenely good. I'm not sure many people here are entirely aware of it. By the time the tour got to the dates that were recorded and enjoyed a certain circulation (Marquee, Tokyo, even the Limelight show) his voice had already gritted-out somehow.
- Marco

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 04:48:43 PM »
Tell you what, I'm gonna keep feeding good suggestions back to the people in charge of this archive, and if it's feasible... who knows what will happen.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 04:53:28 PM »
A couple have already mentioned, but the High Voltage 2011 show is already incredible only for the YT videos! What a possible great release it would be: The Count of Tuscany and The Great Debate in the same set  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2021, 05:27:58 PM »
While we do have Happy Holidays with The Count of Tuscany live, and with Mangini. I would like to see a video of those songs.

The 30th Anniversary show, for BTV and About to Crash

The last show with MP

The first show with Mangini

And of course a The Astonishing show. I don't mind just a cd as well.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2021, 05:29:01 PM »

Wait, you were there? Was it your first impact with the band? What a scene it must have been!

I've told this many times before.

Yes I was there..

I was a huge Iron Maiden fan. When I was in college, Iron Maiden played L'Amours in Brooklyn as a tuneup for the 7th Son tour. I lived in Massachusetts, but my college roommate lived in New Jersey. We always planned visits around concerts. Anyway, we made a pact that if Iron Maiden ever played another club show in NYC, we'd try like hell to make it. Well, he ended up getting tickets to the show at The Ritz.

I had my camera that day. My avatar is a pic of the marquee that I had taken that afternoon. We got there early to get a good spot, which obviously meant having to stand through some no name band. But whatever..it was Iron Maiden!!

I can tell you that they weren't 30 seconds into PMU and I was fucking blown away. My jaw was literally on the floor. They were playing the best music I'd ever heard. They were so tight.
My two first observations were:
The bass player is nuts (seriously!), and the drummer was amazing. Seemed as soon as I was on to whatever the drummer was doing, he was on to something else. I regret not taking pictures, as we had a good spot. But I wasn't taking any chances of getting busted with my camera before Iron Maiden came out. Suffice to say, my musical life was changed in that 40 minutes.

I bought I&W a few weeks later when it was released. And lo and behold, they played in Boston the first week of October. They came back that December, where they played an electric version of Oh Holy Night. That boot is mine, and unfortunately it hasn't aged that great. I did take some pics at that show as well. Both shows were at a club called Axis, which was extremely tiny.

June 8, 1992
The Ritz, New York City

In fact, in the video boot of this show, you can see my flash going off down in front of Dave.

December 16, 1992
Axis, Boston

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2021, 05:36:15 PM »
Axis WAS small; that must have been a treat.

My brother had that same Zappa shirt; what a kick seeing Steve wear it.

So, dumb question, but what was it about James that "allegedly" got him notice by Maiden?  The performance in general, or something specific?  (I looked at the setlist; if you're going to hear five songs from Dream Theater, those might as well be the ones.  What a setlist!)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2021, 08:54:45 PM »
I am not as in to this sort of thing as most of you all here; that being said an Astonishing video would be #1 on my list.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2021, 09:11:23 PM »
I was just going through a list of LNF material I'd like to see come out earlier today. I actually figured it would just be stuff from the Mangini era, since MP supposedly has all the recordings from 1985-2010 in his personal archive. Is that not the case? Have they come to some understanding with MP on releasing more stuff from his era? In that case, my list will be growing exponentially.

MM era:
- The Astonishing Live
- 30th Anniversary tour
- Budokan bluray
- Another Images show with Don't Look Past Me
- Demo discs or Making of's of the last four albums

MP era:
Just give me what he was working on in 2010...
- Making of Six Degrees
- Rush covers disc
- Black Clouds Live DVD (two shows, including his last)
- Derek Era Xmas show
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2021, 09:15:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind a full video from The Astonishing.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2021, 09:15:36 PM »
I'd love a good quality recording of Don't Look Past Me from the I&W tour in 2017.

And this.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2021, 09:18:55 PM »
I'd love a good quality recording of Don't Look Past Me from the I&W tour in 2017.

And this.

TA was still digesting when I saw it live. I'd love to go back and revisit it now that it's... aged.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Skeever

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2021, 04:16:06 AM »
For me, since there's so little in terms of b-sides and such, let's get those complete shows working:

- Ronnie Scott's;
- The unplugged show from Rotterdam;

These would be amazing day one buys for me.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 06:12:17 AM »

Or maybe now that there is no bad blood among MP and the majority on the band they can now do it, and possibly MP will contribute with the archive and get a cut off of that?