Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Welcome to the Family)  (Read 65219 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Welcome to the Family)
« Reply #350 on: July 06, 2021, 04:58:15 PM »
If a guitarist played a 48 string guitar and the fretboard was the width of a plank of wood -
Davie504 almost has you covered....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoChroQIA10

OMG!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kip Rolled
« Reply #351 on: July 06, 2021, 05:02:49 PM »
If a guitarist played a 48 string guitar and the fretboard was the width of a plank of wood -

WOW! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Online gzarruk

« Reply #352 on: July 06, 2021, 05:26:26 PM »

I know this is completely off topic and sorry for derailing (kind of) the thread, but I just can't stand Davie504.
I'm also a bass player and his playing and technique are impressive, he's a GREAT player. BUT, can't stand the kind of videos he does/his online persona (because I don't think he's like that in real life).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #353 on: July 06, 2021, 06:12:47 PM »
I just realized that the "A Dramatic Tour of Events" setlist has a song from every album.

It does?  ???  I don't see anything from FII, TOT, or BCSL.

I know this is completely off topic and sorry for derailing (kind of) the thread, but I just can't stand Davie504.
I'm also a bass player and his playing and technique are impressive, he's a GREAT player. BUT, can't stand the kind of videos he does/his online persona (because I don't think he's like that in real life).

You need to be SLAPPED.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #354 on: July 06, 2021, 06:13:55 PM »
He isn't like that IRL I'm sure but there are tons of great musicians on youtube, gotta find a schtick to make you stick out for better or worse.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #355 on: July 06, 2021, 08:33:13 PM »
OMG! gzarruk is jealous of Davie504! SLAP!  :lol

As Reaper said, no that's not his real life persona. In fact, if you watch his really old videos, you'll see him just playing and that's it. I've seen a few recent videos where he's talked about his online persona, too. So yeah, it's a schtick, and he's not afraid to admit it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online gzarruk

« Reply #356 on: July 06, 2021, 09:28:03 PM »
I just realized that the "A Dramatic Tour of Events" setlist has a song from every album.

Not the proper ADTOE tour, but those earlier festival shows in Europe (first shows with MM) did :tup

OMG! gzarruk is jealous of Davie504! SLAP!  :lol

As Reaper said, no that's not his real life persona. In fact, if you watch his really old videos, you'll see him just playing and that's it. I've seen a few recent videos where he's talked about his online persona, too. So yeah, it's a schtick, and he's not afraid to admit it.

Jealous of his bass playing skills, definitely! But his videos make me cringe :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #357 on: July 06, 2021, 11:07:34 PM »

Not the proper ADTOE tour, but those earlier festival shows in Europe (first shows with MM) did :tup

On set-list.fm, it's listed as ADTOE tour. Those early shows are what I was looking at, it's cool that they did that for his first shows.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • My FREE Music
« Reply #358 on: July 07, 2021, 03:17:26 AM »
BUT, can't stand the kind of videos he does/his online persona (because I don't think he's like that in real life).

Agree. I'm really not a fan of the HEY GUYS!!!!!! Constant jump cuts every 5 seconds so thetalkingiscompletelyconstantandnobodyevertakesabreathatanypointever!!!!!!

Style of youtuber. Also people who completely over react for the camera like Markiplier who screams and shouts at everything.

I watched a 16 min video about something once and the narration started at 0:00 and stopped at 16:00 and any pause for breath was chopped out so it was 16 minutes

of NON STOP talking.  :sadpanda:

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #359 on: July 07, 2021, 08:25:52 AM »

Thatís not true. It didnít have anything from DT12, TA, or DoT.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.Ē

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • My FREE Music
« Reply #360 on: July 07, 2021, 04:23:54 PM »
Or DT15. LAZY.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #361 on: July 07, 2021, 05:14:39 PM »

Thatís not true. It didnít have anything from DT12, TA, or DoT.

Or DT15. LAZY.

:o How could they miss such a golden opportunity?!

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #362 on: July 10, 2021, 08:09:43 AM »

On set-list.fm, it's listed as ADTOE tour. Those early shows are what I was looking at, it's cool that they did that for his first shows.

Are you talking about this setlist?  It doesn't have anything from Awake.
Under A Glass Moon (Phoenix, AZ 12/4/11)
Forsaken (London, UK 7/24/11)
Peruvian Skies (London, UK 7/24/11)
Endless Sacrifice (Austin, TX 10/26/11)
Drum Solo (Austin, TX 10/26/11)
YtseJam (Austin, TX 10/26/11)
The Great Debate (London, UK 7/24/11)
Another Day (Austin, TX 7/7/12)
Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy (Montreal, QC 10/7/11)
To Live Forever (Huntington, NY 7/19/12)
Learning To Live (Tel Aviv, Israel 7/19/11)
The Count of Tuscany (London, UK 7/24/11)
As I Am (Shibuya, Japan 4/24/12)

Online gzarruk

« Reply #363 on: July 10, 2021, 09:41:56 AM »

But that's not a show setlist, it's all the other DT tracks played live between 2011-2012 that weren't featured on LALP.

This is the setlist for the first show with MM: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2011/ippodromo-delle-capannelle-rome-italy-53d36b01.html

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #364 on: July 10, 2021, 01:25:40 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about and wasn't counting the summer festival dates.  But that is valid.  Those were clearly for the ADTOE cycle.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #365 on: July 10, 2021, 04:46:04 PM »

But that's not a show setlist, it's all the other DT tracks played live between 2011-2012 that weren't featured on LALP.

This is the setlist for the first show with MM: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2011/ippodromo-delle-capannelle-rome-italy-53d36b01.html
Yes, thanks for the clarification!  That is really a great setlist.