Author Topic: RIP Dustin Diamond aka Screech from Saved by the Bell  (Read 2648 times)

Online T-ski

RIP Dustin Diamond aka Screech from Saved by the Bell
« on: February 01, 2021, 01:11:40 PM »
Diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago and now dead at 44.

Guy lived a roller coaster life after SBTB but still way too young.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: RIP Dustin Diamond aka Screech from Saved by the Bell
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 01:51:39 PM »
Only 2 years older than me and I still feel like a teenager. . .

44 is way too young especially these days when everyone is ageing a lot slower than the previous generation.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:56:40 AM »

I heard on the news he died 3 weeks after his  diagnosis buy knew he had a lump a year ago and he chose to ignore it.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 12:17:48 PM »

I heard on the news he died 3 weeks after his  diagnosis buy knew he had a lump a year ago and he chose to ignore it.
Better or worse?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
Why would anyone ignore it ?

One day i thought I had something and went to the doctor the very next day.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 01:24:08 PM »

Some people for whatever reason don’t value there lives as they should.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 01:36:23 PM »
Some people are afraid to get checked, they’d rather not know because the idea of having something life-threatening scares them too much. Maybe he was like that. I’m like that and yes I know it’s foolish.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 02:00:28 PM by NoseofNicko »

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 01:39:28 PM »
I read an interview one of his friends gave. The guy said Dustin had a huge growth on his neck and didn't want the press to see it and plaster his face everywhere.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 02:52:11 PM »
I read an interview one of his friends gave. The guy said Dustin had a huge growth on his neck and didn't want the press to see it and plaster his face everywhere.

That's what I had read as well. That's a shame if that is indeed true and the reason he held off getting looked at.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 02:54:26 PM »

I kind of see it the opposite way. Maybe he valued his life such that he wanted to actually live it. The man had advanced lung cancer. It was going to kill him. Were I to find myself in that situation there's a pretty good chance I refuse treatment. I hope I never have to make that decision, but in my case six months of feeling generally alright is going to beat 12-18 months of feeling like shit. Given that outcome, I think I'd just as soon not know I was dying until the end. Hell, Jimmy Baine died of cancer he never knew he had. Sounds like the best way to do it if you've got to do it somehow.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 05:36:42 PM »
I kind of see it the opposite way. Maybe he valued his life such that he wanted to actually live it. The man had advanced lung cancer. It was going to kill him. Were I to find myself in that situation there's a pretty good chance I refuse treatment. I hope I never have to make that decision, but in my case six months of feeling generally alright is going to beat 12-18 months of feeling like shit. Given that outcome, I think I'd just as soon not know I was dying until the end. Hell, Jimmy Baine died of cancer he never knew he had. Sounds like the best way to do it if you've got to do it somehow.

Totally agree.  Anyone who has seen Breaking Bad remembers Walt's speech in S1 about why he didn't want to go through chemo.  If cancer is going to kill me, do it quickly.  And let me go out on my own terms.

A longtime friend used to own a comedy club here in STL and Diamond appeared there a few times over the years.  Always said he was a little strange, but always super friendly. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 06:28:11 PM »
Some people are afraid to get checked, they’d rather not know because the idea of having something life-threatening scares them too much. Maybe he was like that. I’m like that and yes I know it’s foolish.

Dude, I think it's time to go to the doctor.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 06:50:46 PM »
 :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 07:07:41 AM »

Dude, I think it's time to go to the doctor.

Says

:) :) :) :)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 07:13:58 AM »

That's what I had read as well. That's a shame if that is indeed true and the reason he held off getting looked at.

I think he knew he had it though, he just didn't seek further treatment. They gave him a few weeks to a couple months to live. Maybe at that point he just figured it wasn't worth it. He didn't want his bloated face to be the one that made the rounds when he finally passed. If I got a diagnosis like that, I'd want things to end as soon as possible, and I have the luxury of not having the paparazzi up my ass. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 09:42:35 PM »
That's gotta be a terrible personal each person has to make based on their own metrics. I wouldn't begrudge someone going out quick with no treatment any more than I would someone who wanted to hang on just a little bit longer to see their son graduate from high school or walk their daughter down the aisle at their wedding.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2021, 08:37:32 AM »

I understand that perspective. I’d probably choose to fight for a miracle but I saw my mother in law go at age 53 in 1999. Advanced stage lung cancer. She fought hard for two years. It didn’t end well. Gut wrenching to witness.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2021, 08:45:52 AM »

I understand that perspective. I’d probably choose to fight for a miracle but I saw my mother in law go at age 53 in 1999. Advanced stage lung cancer. She fought hard for two years. It didn’t end well. Gut wrenching to witness.
You've got a wife and a kid. I wouldn't fault anybody for toughing it out as longs as they could to be around for each milestone. Plenty of other people don't have the external interests that would make such a miserable existence worthwhile. Or, perhaps the milestones are all passed and they don't want to be a burden. Like I said, shitty decision all the way around, and everybody has to do their own calculus. I was just pushing back on the idea of not valuing their life. It's way more complicated than that.
E.F. Benson