Author Topic: Gibson purchased Mesa Engineering...  (Read 2055 times)

Offline DT1138

Gibson purchased Mesa Engineering...
« on: January 13, 2021, 08:09:20 PM »
...so do you think JP will stick with them or eventually abandon ship? 

https://reverb.com/news/gibson-buys-mesa-boogie

Considering he has a flagship amplifier with them and his name is on it, I am going to guess he will stick with them unless they really screw up somehow.  Personally, I think Mesa will hold up their end of the bargain, but Gibson doesn't have the greatest reputation these days.  I really hope it works out for the best - Mesa is the sound of DT whether anyone likes it or not, and a change would probably be crushing in a lot of ways.

Thoughts?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Gibson purchased Mesa Engineering...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 08:26:16 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56091.0

Discussed there.

I think JP stays at least for the next few years. Mesa is a huge part of JP's sound.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 06:45:30 PM »
I've been super bummed about this acquisition. Gibson is just terrible. 
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 10:15:15 AM »
There are amps out there that are every bit as good as Mesa.  Hughes & Kettner make the best sounding amps I've ever heard.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 11:13:14 AM »
I know JP is a child of the analog world, and he's probably gonna play real amps forever but it would be really interesting if he embraced the digital realm that has made huge leaps in the last 10 years and that sounds better than ever. Tosin Abasi has even said that he's spent hours tweaking his physical amps only to keep coming back to his Neural DSP plugin because it sounds better lol.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 01:08:54 PM »
If Gibson ruins Mesa (which I expect them to at some point), I believe JP will then leave and have another high profile amp company build him a signature amp under the same specs his current one has.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 11:04:00 AM »
I wonder who he'd gravitate towards?

I agree, though, that the modeling now is so good that going all-digital is finally a viable option.  I use BIAS Amp and BIAS FX from Positive Grid and they're awesome.  What's really cool is I can take my tones anywhere and I don't need anything but my iPhone and my bluetooth pedalboard to switch between amp settings for clean/distortion/lead that's it.  Plug me into the PA or board and I'm good to go, I don't even need to bring an amplifier with me to gigs now. 

I could imagine Petrucci forging a relationship with a company like Positive Grid or maybe Boss - any company, really, who makes a "smart amp" those are definitely the wave of the future.  I think straight up tube amps will always have their place, no doubt, but man, once I tried BIAS Amp I was hooked.  It's got everything you could possibly ever need from Marshall 100 Watt full stacks to tweed combos, fender twin reverbs, you name it.  And the tones are indistinguishable from the amps they're simulating, assuming you have access to a quality board/pa/house system.  I keep an old 60watt Roland Cube in my trunk just in case, but I haven't needed it in years. 

Offline Volante99

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 04:25:54 PM »
I really don’t understand this buyout. Where is the “synergy”?

How does Mesa Boogie make Gibson a better company?

Hopefully, Gibson will just stay hands off. Let Mesa run Mesa.

Regardless, I will forever regret selling my *pristine* condition (pre-Gibson  :lol) Mark IV until the day I die. Need to buy the JP-2C pronto...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »
I really don’t understand this buyout. Where is the “synergy”?

How does Mesa Boogie make Gibson a better company?

Hopefully, Gibson will just stay hands off. Let Mesa run Mesa.

Regardless, I will forever regret selling my *pristine* condition (pre-Gibson  :lol) Mark IV until the day I die. Need to buy the JP-2C pronto...

Do it before they ruin the company and JP leaves, discontinuing the amp :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 12:13:42 AM »
I just don’t see JP using anything but Mesa. Those amps have such a distinct tone and he’s been relying on that trademark Boogie crunch since day one. So much so that Petrucci and Boogie have almost become synonymous with each other. Gibson would really need to shit the bed to lose JP.

The only scenario I can possibly see is JP developing his own line of branded amps (similar to what Zakk Wylde did, although I think Wylde Amps got scrapped).

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 01:13:26 AM »
Oh, you lot ;D

Mesa will be fine. A lot has changed at Gibson in the last few years.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 05:09:09 AM »
Frankly, while initially I dreaded this idea, I really don't care all that much probably. I have my Mark III and nothing can take that away from me, and the only Boogies I'd ever be interested in getting are discontinued models, so it doesn't really matter at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 03:33:43 PM »
It might be something similar to DW purchasing Gretsch drums. They let Gretsch handle all things Gretsch (they still make their drums in Ridgeland, SC and Paul Cooper still runs the show there) but the "office" is in California w/ DW.

I had thought Gibson was a mess and went bankrupt not too long ago. Now they are acquiring brands (Kramer, etc.) under a mothership approach. Hopefully, they will let Mesa/Boogie keep doing their thing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 06:03:20 AM »
In short (or bluntly); buying (assets of) companies is a good way to avoid bankruptcy, because it can show to your investors that you (or your newly acquired brand) is expected to make profit.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 07:31:46 AM »
I know JP is a child of the analog world, and he's probably gonna play real amps forever but it would be really interesting if he embraced the digital realm that has made huge leaps in the last 10 years and that sounds better than ever. Tosin Abasi has even said that he's spent hours tweaking his physical amps only to keep coming back to his Neural DSP plugin because it sounds better lol.

I can see it happening in the touring space. A lot of artists are using kempy/axe/helix as their tour rigs and plug directly into front of house. I mean JP already has effects switching via click track.