Author Topic: What was wrong with "Illusion" albums by Guns?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline WildRanger

What was wrong with "Illusion" albums by Guns?
« on: February 01, 2021, 07:54:14 AM »
So many rock fans say that GnR have made one classic and relevant album - Appetite for Destruction and they generally look down on Use Your Illuision (I and II) albums.
Why are those albums not more highly regarded? What was WRONG with them from a musical point?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: What was wrong with "Illusion" albums by Guns?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 07:55:23 AM »
Good amount of filler is my only complaint.

Condense them into one album and you got a classic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 07:55:43 AM »
Double albums are always frowned upon - except in very rare cases.

Just look and Load and Reload.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 08:06:29 AM »
The obvious answer is that they are Guns 'n Roses albums :neverusethis:

Yea, I'm not a fan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 08:08:20 AM »
You wan'da step into my world
It's a sociopsychotic state of bliss
You've been delayed in the real world
How many times have you hit and missed?
Your cat-scan shows disfiguration
I want to laugh myself to death
With a misfired synapse
With a bent configuration
I'll hold the line while you gasp for breath
You want to talk to me
So talk to me
You want to talk to me (7x)
You can't talk to me
You don't understand your sex
You ain't been mindfucked yet
Let's do it (3x)
Oh my distorted smile
Guess what I'm doing now
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 08:23:16 AM »
Double albums are always frowned upon - except in very rare cases.

Just look and Load and Reload.

The Who - Quad; Tommy
Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin (a lot of rock fans would claim it's the best Zep album)
The Beatles - White Album
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
The Clash - London Calling (widely regarded as their best album)
Smashing Pumpkis - Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (it's widely regarded as his best album)
Prince - Sign 'o' the Time

All those double albums are very highly regarded and considered classics.

Online pg1067

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 10:01:22 AM »
Why are those albums not more highly regarded? What was WRONG with them from a musical point?

They feature Axl Rose "singing."

The Who - Quad; Tommy
Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin (a lot of rock fans would claim it's the best Zep album)
The Beatles - White Album
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
The Clash - London Calling (widely regarded as their best album)
Smashing Pumpkis - Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (it's widely regarded as his best album)
Prince - Sign 'o' the Time

All those double albums are very highly regarded and considered classics.

Quadrophenia is an album that may be loved by hardcore fans, but it is largely unknown to casual fans (without looking up the track list, I can only think of two songs, and one of them I might not even know but for a cover version by WASP).

And I've never heard of anyone refer to The Lamb as a "classic."  It was innovative and had a song that became a staple of the band's live set, but it weighed down by massive amounts of filler...as is Tommy...and as is the White Album (the king of filler albums).

As for Physical Graffiti, here you got again with the weasel words:  "[A] lot of rock fans would claim it's the best Zep album."  Well...sure.  When you say it that way, you can't help but be correct.  But I'd bet more "rock fans" would disagree, and I know plenty of "rock fans" and Zeppelin fans who find PG to be quite bloated and think it would be better as a single album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 10:13:08 AM »
I think the best "double" albums of recent memory are albums that are only double because the artist says so - but they actually would fit on one CD.

• Metallica - Hardwired to Self Destruct - 2 CDs of music - but overall 77.6 minutes.

• Biffy Clyro - Opposites. 2 CDs of music - but overall 77.6 minutes.

Load and Reload are almost a quadruple album with 27 tracks and 2.5 hours of music !

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 10:16:49 AM »
nothing is wrong with these albums
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 10:17:29 AM »

Heyyyyyyyy!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 10:22:07 AM »
Good amount of filler is my only complaint.

Condense them into one album and you got a classic.

Bingo

Offline faizoff

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 10:23:18 AM »

I'm only in this thread for this reply from this guy.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 10:27:11 AM »
The obvious answer is that they are Guns 'n Roses albums :neverusethis:

Yeah this.

what the hell
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 10:29:55 AM »
Leave it to WildRanger of all people to summon Katt back here. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 10:30:42 AM »
I'm not a GNR fan - I couldn't get into Appetite. Wrong era probably. I left it way too late and only gave it a listen LAST YEAR.

Not my style of rock.

Moreover - how big a letdown was Chinese Democracy ? For fans of the band ? I did have a good chuckle at the credits in the booklet at just how many people

produced or engineered the album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 10:33:38 AM »
Moreover - how big a letdown was Chinese Democracy ? For fans of the band ? I did have a good chuckle at the credits in the booklet at just how many people

produced or engineered the album.

nothing is wrong with this album
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »
So many rock fans say that GnR have made one classic and relevant album - Appetite for Destruction and they generally look down on Use Your Illuision (I and II) albums.

Well, it depends how you define "rock fans". To me, "rock fans" seems pretty general, and I picture those "I like everything" kinds of people. If so, Appetite had the biggest hits, so there's that.
And Appetite IS classic and relevant.

But who exactly looks down on the Illusion albums? Look, they are not the "moment in time" album that Appetite is, but they are both phenomenal pieces of music. They are also in a slightly different style too. The songs are much bigger, complex than the classic barroom rock that Appetite is.

And just because you can sift through the double album and make a great single album doesn't detract from the strength of each of them.

Those albums were huge. The band toured for over 3 years straight on them. Now one may associate that era with the douchiness of Axel, so that may taint how they view the band, but musically those albums are great.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 11:38:22 AM »
Love both the Use Your Illusion albums (far more so than Appetite for Destruction) and I wouldn't change anything about them.  The same goes for Chinese Democracy too, since that came up. I think it's a very original album that showcases the full range of Axl Rose's creativity (I pretty much think of it as Use Your Illusion III for this reason). Appetite for Destruction is certainly a great rock album but I don't think it has anywhere near the originality of the Use Your Illusions or Chinese Democracy. Just my opinion, natch.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 11:46:39 AM »
No album should take Eighteen Years though.

What was the official reason ? Laziness ? Revolving door of musicians ? Kept aborting the sessions ? Members quitting / going to rehab ?

All of the above ?

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 11:53:20 AM »
I think things take as long as the artist feels they should take. Stanley Kubrick made just 2 films in the last 18 years of his life. Thomas Harris (Silence of the Lambs guy) has written 6 novels in 45 years. People work at different paces for different reasons. What's important isn't keeping to a schedule but producing something they're happy with.

edit: but as for the 'official reason' for why it took so long, as far as I know it was just because he didn't feel like it. From interviews I've read he seems to work in fitful bursts of inspiration which are separated by lengthy periods of having nothing to say, musically.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 12:05:16 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 12:04:54 PM »
I sometimes wonder how bands take that long to do anything and still live. Tool didn't play live all that often.

Lateralus and 10,000 Days were hardly gigantic selling albums. I know Maynard had Puscifer etc

But Danny and Justin didn't really do much in those 13 years.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 12:18:41 PM »
With Tool, they still had about 12 million album sales before the post-10,000 Days hiatus, which is pretty decent money. And those guys seem smart so they probably invested it well.

As for the likes of Axl, he was loaded. 30 million sales for Appetite alone, another 15 million for the Use Your Illusions, about 250 for The Spaghetti Incident. That buys a lot of time to tweak a guitar solo here and there.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 12:20:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of Illusion and Chinese.  Maybe a track or two (My World) I could have done without but with digital media now, that's doable.  Some of the tracks like Prostitute (from Chinese), Coma, Locomotive and Estranged are incredible classics.

I only have one complaint about GnR; Axl is the biggest waste of talent ever, only having one real album out since the Illusions 30 years ago.  Wish he'd get everything recorded and out because I love everything he does.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 12:23:59 PM »
When was Chinese Democracy ? 2008 ? Same year as Death Magnetic.

Even Metallica have put out an album since then.

How many albums has Dream Theater put out since 2008 ? Or Mastodon ? Or Trivium ? And it's not like those bands rush out average albums either.

Two albums in 30 (!!) years is kinda pathetic.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 12:25:32 PM »
I'm a big fan of Illusion and Chinese.  Maybe a track or two (My World) I could have done without but with digital media now, that's doable.  Some of the tracks like Prostitute (from Chinese), Coma, Locomotive and Estranged are incredible classics.

I only have one complaint about GnR; Axl is the biggest waste of talent ever, only having one real album out since the Illusions 30 years ago.  Wish he'd get everything recorded and out because I love everything he does.

'Prostitute' is a favourite of mine too. Very powerful and 'beautiful' (by GnR standards) song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2021, 02:05:48 PM »
I know for me (who DOES think Physical Graffiti is the best Zeppelin album), the knock I have on the UYI albums is only the way they are presented.  If it truly WAS a double album, and not a sort of simultaneous release of two different albums, it would resonate more with me.   The high points (of which there are too many to name) of UYI far exceed the highs of Appetite, even if the one or two lows are probably the lowest.    I saw that tour (as well as the Chinese Democracy tour) and it was something special. 

Controversial statement:  Rose is a polarizing figure to be sure, but I've certainly seen artists who are a LOT more well-loved who couldn't or didn't perform to the level that Axl did the two times I saw him.  The latter show, he sang for three hours straight at a high level, the only extended break during Dizzy's piano solo spot.  It's one of the best vocal performances I've ever seen.  Show started at 11:00 on the nose, I left at 2:15 and he was still going (I missed one song, as it turned out).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2021, 02:46:03 PM »

This.  I don't know of many "rock fans" that "look down on" the Use Your Illusion albums.  Yeah, there may be a minority that thought GnR "sold out" and went commercial after the rawness of Appetite, or a few who were mad about personnel changes, or whatever.  As usual, you state a "fact" to try to make your argument that isn't even true.   
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 05:47:47 AM »
I always loved the UTI albums. Yes, there's some filler on there, but not that much of it, to be honest, and certainly not as much as people claim. I played those albums to death back in the day.
Chinese Democracy was never going to live up to the weight of expectation put on it, but it's actually a pretty good album. I enjoyed it. If they'd have released it 15 years before they did, it would have been heralded as a masterpiece.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 08:37:52 AM »
I always loved the UTI albums. Yes, there's some filler on there, but not that much of it, to be honest, and certainly not as much as people claim. I played those albums to death back in the day.
Chinese Democracy was never going to live up to the weight of expectation put on it, but it's actually a pretty good album. I enjoyed it. If they'd have released it 15 years before they did, it would have been heralded as a masterpiece.

Haha.

Chinese Democracy always baffled me; more correctly, the REACTION always baffled me.  In some ways it's what every fan SAYS they want, but I think secretly doesn't.  How many posts are there here that lament that SC or SC&SL are stale and they should have done something new.  How many people complain that AC/DC "all sounds the same".   Or Ozzy, retreading old ground over and over.  Well, Axl did something unique and new, and....   "it wasn't Appetite".    I wouldn't say it's MY favorite album of all time, but it's a great album in it's own way. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 11:25:34 AM »
*shrug*

The only thing mentioned in this thread that I don't like it Load and Reload by Metallica.  I never "got" that era of the band. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 11:32:40 AM »
It was two albums. Too much shit.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 03:43:47 PM »
Where do you get this shit?

I only "look down" on them from the perspective of Appetite, which I find better in every way.  Also, between the two albums, there is about one album's worth of incredible songs, so way too much filler for my taste.

But there's nothing WRONG with them.

I have never listened to Chinese Democracy, so I can't give an informed opinion.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 03:55:05 PM »

I only "look down" on them from the perspective of Appetite, which I find better in every way.  Also, between the two albums, there is about one album's worth of incredible songs, so way too much filler for my taste.

I have never listened to Chinese Democracy, so I can't give an informed opinion.

He was talking to a guy named Somani Rockphans.  He said it.  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2021, 03:55:34 PM »

He was talking to a guy named Somani Rockphans.  He said it.  :)
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 05:46:40 PM »
Hey man, good to see you back.

I knew this thread would bring you back from lurking  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar