Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 61220 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Future Bites
« Reply #210 on: February 11, 2021, 12:05:18 PM »
This was just posted on his Facebook page...

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/whats-on/arts-and-entertainment/steven-wilson-i-dont-think-we-live-world-rock-music-any-more-3132027

Now that headline makes me think that he is just Trolling the fuck out of these interviews. And giving these responses just to generate buzz and further his concept of consumerism and want, including information...

:lol  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: February 11, 2021, 01:15:23 PM »
But who would play bass ?

I think Devin could do it - he seems to be the least egotistical and would gladly let other guitar players shine.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #212 on: February 11, 2021, 02:45:17 PM »
This was just posted on his Facebook page...

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/whats-on/arts-and-entertainment/steven-wilson-i-dont-think-we-live-world-rock-music-any-more-3132027

Now that headline makes me think that he is just Trolling the fuck out of these interviews. And giving these responses just to generate buzz and further his concept of consumerism and want, including information...

:lol  :lol

That's actually not the worst interview by him I've ever read.  He makes some good points (though I still find it incomprehensible that Sir Elton John knows Steven Wilson, but Steven Wilson doesn't know Devin Townsend.)

Offline Kram

« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2021, 02:49:28 PM »

I think Devin could do it - he seems to be the least egotistical and would gladly let other guitar players shine.

Actually, if you read the comments to Portnoy's tweet, Devin himself asked if he can play bass  :lol

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/1313248742154305536

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2021, 03:36:37 PM »
That would be a too many chefs in the kitchen situation. Devin, more than the others, likes writing alone and not collaborating much, and I can't see Wilson and Akerfeldt being keen on a collaboration where there are three prolific songwriters in the band, plus Portnoy would inevitably want his say-so to get part of the songwriting credit even with the others doing all of the heavy lifting.  I get Portnoy wanting to do it, as these are three of the biggest "stars" in the prog or metal world he has yet to really work with so far, and he wants to check that box, but it just doesn't seem feasible.

Offline emtee

« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2021, 03:56:46 PM »
This is the collaboration I've wanted more than any other. Way back when MP talked about wanting to do it many years ago. I would pay big money without hearing a single note if those 4 guys made an album.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #216 on: February 11, 2021, 05:21:33 PM »
Fun to think about. But would never happen IRL. 4 different guys with 4 different visions and 4 different work ethics.

I'm not a huge Opeth fan so idk much about Mike Akerfeldt, but I know SW and Dev like to take their time with their music whereas MP is more of a "get in, get out, release the record 6 months later" kind of guy. I remember MP said I think on Neal Morse's podcast that he gets bored quickly and that's why he's always moving from project to project to project. I don't think his attention span would be long enough to work with someone like SW or Dev.

Also SW doesn't seem interested in metal much nowadays and I think MP would undoubtedly want to steer the project in that direction.

In other news, my Deluxe Edition Box Set finally arrived, so I put together an extended version of the album
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:29:28 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2021, 03:03:18 AM »
I'm not a huge Opeth fan so idk much about Mike Akerfeldt, but I know SW and Dev like to take their time with their music whereas MP is more of a "get in, get out, release the record 6 months later" kind of guy. I remember MP said I think on Neal Morse's podcast that he gets bored quickly and that's why he's always moving from project to project to project. I don't think his attention span would be long enough to work with someone like SW or Dev.

Exactly this. And I think Mikael is the same way (like Devin and Steven). He takes his time with new music.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2021, 03:27:45 AM »

Actually, if you read the comments to Portnoy's tweet, Devin himself asked if he can play bass  :lol

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/1313248742154305536

I stand correct.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2021, 03:46:10 AM »
Outtake "The Tastemaker" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEWYn1G1U2I

Great song and would've fit on the album perfectly after Self if I was assembling the tracklist.

Solid tune.  I'll snag it once the guy who got the super duper box set puts it up digitally, which he has said he will do, but I doubt it'll be a song I get much mileage from.  Fits in stylistically with the rest of the album and the bonus songs, just not as good as most, IMO.

That exactly what this guy did, see the link above. The guy even MADE A VIDEO FOR THE TRACK. Wow!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online faizoff

« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2021, 05:05:44 AM »
Loved that outtake track. It definitely would've fit in the album, the beat kinda reminds me a bit of White Zombie's More Human than Human.

That interview linked in the profile in interesting about that guy who purchased the 10,000 unique boxset and why he decided to buy the set, the pain he took to clean up the track from the Vinyl.

I like a lot of the material left out but only this track seems like it would fit the album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2021, 10:44:53 AM »
Steven, Mikael, Portnoy and Devin would never actually agree to form a supergroup, but if they were absolutely forced to for some reason, I imagine it would go like this:

Steven and Mikael, being good friends, past collaborators, and the most similar in musical tastes, would immediately take the reigns and do whatever they'd want to do. They'd probably come up with something with a weird combination of influences that doesn't sound anything like conventional prog or even like Storm Corrosion (they've said if they were to do a follow-up to that album it would sound completely different). Portnoy would inevitably try to steer things in a more upbeat, proggy, or metal direction and likely get shot down by Steven and Mikael. In a repeat of the OSI sequence of events, he'd eventually give up, and in future interviews claim Steven and Mikael were "downers" and "difficult to work with" and that the project wasn't "what he hoped it would be".

Devin would be there. He'd play bass, sing on a few songs, maybe contribute a few musical ideas, but generally just sit back and let everyone else do their thing.

The album would be a disappointment to most people but it'd probably be quite good in its own weird way.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2021, 10:50:25 AM »

Steven and Mikael, being good friends, past collaborators, and the most similar in musical tastes, would immediately take the reigns and do whatever they'd want to do. They'd probably come up with something with a weird combination of influences that doesn't sound anything like conventional prog or even like Storm Corrosion (they've said if they were to do a follow-up to that album it would sound completely different). Portnoy would inevitably try to steer things in a more upbeat, proggy, or metal direction and likely get shot down by Steven and Mikael. In a repeat of the OSI sequence of events, he'd eventually give up, and in future interviews claim Steven and Mikael were "downers" and "difficult to work with" and that the project wasn't "what he hoped it would be".

Devin would be there. He'd play bass, sing on a few songs, maybe contribute a few musical ideas, but generally just sit back and let everyone else do their thing.

Sounds a bit like how Transatlantic is....Switch Steven and Mikael with Neal and Mike, Mike with Roine, and Devin with Pete.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2021, 08:46:13 AM »
A combination of things led me to listen Prince today. So partly my wife's look of disgust every time I've ever said I can't name one Prince song I like, partly because it's valentine's day and wanted to put something on that my wife and I could listen to together and partly because of hearing Steve Wilson cite him as one of, if not THE greatest artist ever!

Anyway, I have listened to the albums Purple Rain and Sing 'O the Times today. They were fine but can't say I'm desperate to relisten. The funniest thing though, was that literally the first song I listened to (Let's Go Crazy) has an Eddie Van Halen style guitar solo as the outro  :lol :lol :lol

One last thing to add, as Devin Townsend has been mentioned in this thread. When it comes to the personality types of two artists I listen to, these two couldn't be further apart. Devin epitomises everything that I look for in an artist! He is just a genuine guy, humble and I could listen to him talk for hours (and have done so, watching hours of interviews). Steven on the other hand gives me the opposite feeling. I can't watch/read a single interview without thinking he's a bit of a knob at some point.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2021, 10:04:04 AM »
A combination of things led me to listen Prince today. So partly my wife's look of disgust every time I've ever said I can't name one Prince song I like, partly because it's valentine's day and wanted to put something on that my wife and I could listen to together and partly because of hearing Steve Wilson cite him as one of, if not THE greatest artist ever!

Anyway, I have listened to the albums Purple Rain and Sing 'O the Times today. They were fine but can't say I'm desperate to relisten. The funniest thing though, was that literally the first song I listened to (Let's Go Crazy) has an Eddie Van Halen style guitar solo as the outro  :lol :lol :lol

One last thing to add, as Devin Townsend has been mentioned in this thread. When it comes to the personality types of two artists I listen to, these two couldn't be further apart. Devin epitomises everything that I look for in an artist! He is just a genuine guy, humble and I could listen to him talk for hours (and have done so, watching hours of interviews). Steven on the other hand gives me the opposite feeling. I can't watch/read a single interview without thinking he's a bit of a knob at some point.

I am sure one being Canadian and one being British has nothing to do with their personalities.  :biggrin:

I don't care about the artist at all. I care about their music. And sometimes the music reflects the artist, as the artist uses music to reflect their personality. Devin's is exactly like this, it's all over the place. It's like a way for Devin to get out all this craziness in his head so he could be more humble. He even said, he had to go to an unsettling mindset to make Deconstruction that he didn't like, but felt he needed to do to help himself. That was the entire point of the Devin Townsend Projects 4 albums. And why he felt it was time to disband That Project. It all culminates to Empath, which is a fantastic album.

Steven has always been critical of life in his music. Radioactive Toy, Swallows Dance Above The Sun, Four Chords That Made A Million. Those should give you insight into Stevens mindset. Which, for me, knowing this, it doesn't surprise me when he talks about things in interviews. Especially when being asked for his opinion. That's just who Steven Wilson is, and I won't expect him to change just to please my morals and values.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2021, 10:04:22 AM »
To be fair. Devin is Canadian and Steven is from England. Even if Devin was the most offensive Canadian and Steven the politest Englishmen you would find Steven to be more of a knob than Devin 😁

However I do understand Steven. It's just he is trying so hard to output what he thinks correctly and it becomes a bit complicated. He can't be untrue to himself and needs / like to speak his mind. Is my interpretation ofc. In the end what he sais makes sense and I often agree, it just comes of as a bit arrogant and pretentious.

Devin is extremely humble and have a great way to be true to himself but still enjoy and be uplifting about the world around him. Karisma? Humor? I guess Steven doesn't come of as a person with humor 🤔

However I do like that we have both Stevens and Devins in this world 😊

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2021, 10:18:43 AM »
To be fair. Devin is Canadian and Steven is from England. Even if Devin was the most offensive Canadian and Steven the politest Englishmen you would find Steven to be more of a knob than Devin 😁

However I do understand Steven. It's just he is trying so hard to output what he thinks correctly and it becomes a bit complicated. He can't be untrue to himself and needs / like to speak his mind. Is my interpretation ofc. In the end what he sais makes sense and I often agree, it just comes of as a bit arrogant and pretentious.

Devin is extremely humble and have a great way to be true to himself but still enjoy and be uplifting about the world around him. Karisma? Humor? I guess Steven doesn't come of as a person with humor 🤔

However I do like that we have both Stevens and Devins in this world 😊

It's just who they are.

It's why band members quit or get fired, because their personality and whom they are is too much, and so they either leave, or fight and end up causing a rift with the band. Portnoy left, because of this. Waters got fired because of this. Both were being true to themselves.

So, all this time, Porcupine Tree was never a full band effort. Even though, the band had input in the songwriting, it wasn't the bands decision. The decisions were all Stevens. I am sure the other guys knew this, or else they would've left. Unless, they had contractual obligations to fill, and they filled it with The Incident. Same with Opeth. Same with Prince and David Bowie. But, just because those 2 are well regarded and held highly they get a pass, and steven doesn't because he isn't well regarded and held highly, is bullshit to me. In my eyes, All are assholes in their own ways, conceited and so sure of themselves, I actually think Prince would be the biggest asshole out of all of them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2021, 10:21:57 AM »
Yeah, I think Wilson is more pretentions than arrogant, and I'll bet he would even admit, if you got him on the right day, to being a little pretentious. 

Back to the new album, if we can assume that all of his highest chart positions here in the U.S. are for the first week (which is a safe one, I think), after seeing his last three solo albums all get into the top 60 here in America, The Future Bites is debuting at 193 here in the States. That is a massive dip.  Looks like it is doing well over in Europe, so he might very well chalk this up to "those dumb Americans don't get it," but will be interesting to see if or how that affects his touring plans here in the States given that ticket sales are likely not as much of a sure thing as they would have been a year or so ago.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2021, 10:26:56 AM »

It's just who they are.

It's why band members quit or get fired, because their personality and whom they are is too much, and so they either leave, or fight and end up causing a rift with the band. Portnoy left, because of this. Waters got fired because of this. Both were being true to themselves.

So, all this time, Porcupine Tree was never a full band effort. Even though, the band had input in the songwriting, it wasn't the bands decision. The decisions were all Stevens. I am sure the other guys knew this, or else they would've left. Unless, they had contractual obligations to fill, and they filled it with The Incident. Same with Opeth. Same with Prince and David Bowie. But, just because those 2 are well regarded and held highly they get a pass, and steven doesn't because he isn't well regarded and held highly, is bullshit to me. In my eyes, All are assholes in their own ways, conceited and so sure of themselves, I actually think Prince would be the biggest asshole out of all of them.

I think "asshole" is an overstatement - I think that word is reserved for true a-holes like Phil Anselmo, Axl Rose and Don Henley - but guys like Prince, Bowie, Waters, Wilson, etc. were/all way more artist than entertainer, and musicians who tilt more towards the artistic side often tend to be, shall we say, eccentric. That eccentricity is often what gives them both that drive and creative energy that results in such dynamic and powerful art.  You kind of have to take the bad with the good, generally speaking, when it comes to those types of artists, IMO.

And that is not to say that guys like Bowie and Prince weren't entertaining as hell. They were!  But I am trusting you know what I mean when talking entertainer vs artist.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2021, 10:32:00 AM »

It's just who they are.

I think "asshole" is an overstatement - I think that word is reserved for true a-holes like Phil Anselmo, Axl Rose and Don Henley - but guys like Prince, Bowie, Waters, Wilson, etc. were/all way more artist than entertainer, and musicians who tilt more towards the artistic side often tend to be, shall we say, eccentric. That eccentricity is often what gives them both that drive and creative energy that results in such dynamic and powerful art.  You kind of have to take the bad with the good, generally speaking, when it comes to those types of artists, IMO.

And that is not to say that guys like Bowie and Prince weren't entertaining as hell. They were!  But I am trusting you know what I mean when talking entertainer vs artist.

Yeah, that was over-emphasis from me. And right, those guys actually did asshole actions on stage. I get what you mean.

Yeah, I think Wilson is more pretentions than arrogant, and I'll bet he would even admit, if you got him on the right day, to being a little pretentious. 

Back to the new album, if we can assume that all of his highest chart positions here in the U.S. are for the first week (which is a safe one, I think), after seeing his last three solo albums all get into the top 60 here in America, The Future Bites is debuting at 193 here in the States. That is a massive dip.  Looks like it is doing well over in Europe, so he might very well chalk this up to "those dumb Americans don't get it," but will be interesting to see if or how that affects his touring plans here in the States given that ticket sales are likely not as much of a sure thing as they would have been a year or so ago.

"Americans just don't have the time for music anymore, and no one seems to care".  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Pettor

« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2021, 11:30:52 AM »
In regard to the album I have given it some more spins. Some parts feels stronger and some are still a bit meh for me. I have nothing against going pop btw. Pop is a nice genre filled with awesome stuff and I would like more prog bands that noticed that (like A.C.T). However this is ofc not prop pop but an effort for Steven to make some more pop oriented songs that he himself would appreciate.

The part I in the end would have wanted is for Steven to go for a more modern sound. The album has this 80s / 90s production to it but with overall better fidelity. The choir parts are cool but the instrumentation could have been balder and with more attitude. Mostly considering the subject.

Btw what do you all think about Steven going full commercial and at the same time hitting on just that? I follow him on Instagram and it's filled with the exact thing the album concerns. At the same time I see that you can ironically do stuff to highlight it, like the super exclusive release and then sing about limited edition sets. For me he didn't nail that. I don't find it to be an all that successful artsy way of hitting at it. Maybe I even misunderstand it and he's not even doing any of it ironically? 🤔 The subject itself I love and find interesting. I think commercialism has become ridiculous and all the limited toys and exclusives, the me me me etc. is just the wrong path for us humans. But with capitalism the way it is there's no stopping it.

It's strange that POS Panther somehow comes to mind when listening to it. They are like two different paths. Personally Panther hits a lot better for me but it's also not an two albums that should be compared like that.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2021, 12:54:46 PM »
I don't know how this album will sit with me in the long run, but as usual I will add some tracks from it to my "favourite SW songs" playlist on Spotify (12 Things I Forgot, Man Of The People, Follower).

Ugh, this is not directed at you per se, but I hate this new tendency towards playlists.  Hell, a friend of mine, who is as big a Wilson/PT fan as I am, listened to The Future Bites once and his initial reaction was, "Not sure if any of these songs will fit into my Wilson playlist."  :facepalm: :facepalm:  Call me old fashioned, but I still love listening to full albums, and in the case of the artists in my top tier who are still active (SW, Neal Morse, Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Devin Townsend), their new albums are always getting many listens because they have more than enough equity built up that they will never get the "one and done" treatment so to speak.

I totally get what you're saying, Kev. I've just never been an "I only listen to the whole album as a full experience" kind of guy. I do this with every artist.

Hell, I even put the songs on shuffle for NO continuity/sense at all :lol (Subdivisions followed by Far Cry, to then jump back to Bastille Day etc).

I'm catching up on this thread now so forgive me if this has been covered more but I am big on playlists too. I have a Playlist for every genre and toss songs I like into the respective genre. If I feel like Prog I play the prog Playlist, acoustic instrumental stuff, Playlist for that.

I find that very few albums are excellent cover to cover so why listen to tracks I don't care to listen to or particularly like just for the sake of continuity.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 03:19:22 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2021, 10:07:39 PM »
People discussing his "guitar is not relevant anymore" comments so passionately: what Steven Wilson wants.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2021, 07:01:01 AM »
After catching up with the thread I definitely think was SW said in regard to EVH was in bad taste but wholly on par for SW. I listen to his podcast and he can seem pretentious at times but doesn't seem like an insufferable ass and IMO has lightened up a bit over the years.

As far as the new album is concerned I haven't heard it yet but I'll listen to it later today.

I'm in the camp that SW's solo work never really clicked with me in the way that PT did and my thoughts are that PT as a band worked a lot better then SW solo. I realize that SW was completely in control but over the years those guys in PT had their sensibilities creep in a way that SW's solo work never has. This really became apparent to me when I went back and listened through his solo albums and took note that Raven was my favorite and that was largely due to the backing band having Guthrie and Marco. Yes it's a SW project, but those musicians brought his music up to a higher level.

Anyway those are my morning hungover ramblings.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2021, 07:26:43 AM »
After catching up with the thread I definitely think was SW said in regard to EVH was in bad taste but wholly on par for SW. I listen to his podcast and he can seem pretentious at times but doesn't seem like an insufferable ass and IMO has lightened up a bit over the years.

As far as the new album is concerned I haven't heard it yet but I'll listen to it later today.

I'm in the camp that SW's solo work never really clicked with me in the way that PT did and my thoughts are that PT as a band worked a lot better then SW solo. I realize that SW was completely in control but over the years those guys in PT had their sensibilities creep in a way that SW's solo work never has. This really became apparent to me when I went back and listened through his solo albums and took note that Raven was my favorite and that was largely due to the backing band having Guthrie and Marco. Yes it's a SW project, but those musicians brought his music up to a higher level.

Anyway those are my morning hungover ramblings.

I figured you were still drunk since you basically went from "The other guys in PT usually made their presence known in the music unlike the guys in SW's solo band" to "Guthrie and Marco really put their mark on The Raven!!" in the same paragraph. :lol :P

Online faizoff

« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2021, 07:34:13 AM »
Speaking of Storm Corrosion, Akerfeldt, and collaboration.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/steven-wilson-discusses-possible-storm-corrosion-ii

"I love that record," says Wilson of the side-project with Opeth's Mikael Akerfledt. That was another record that created a lot of controversy. I’m so proud of that record. Part of the reason we’re both proud of it is it was the last thing anyone expected us to do

"It’s perfect for 5.1 because there’s no drums. I’ve just done an Atmos mix of the album, because that’s an album that’s going to be ten years old next year as well. We did a great version of Drag Ropes at one of Albert Hall shows which we mixed.

"So that version’s been mixed, it sounds beautiful. The album is going to be remixed in Atmos. And I think we’re going to do a reissue of that. And that could be good time to do another record. Obviously, there’s a geographical issue. We can’t just get together on Tuesday nights and jam and we don’t want to do it by email. We did Storm Corrosion when we were in the same room at the same time the whole time we made that record, and we wouldn’t want to do a record any other way. I like to think we’ll do it eventually."
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2021, 07:41:55 AM »
People discussing his "guitar is not relevant anymore" comments so passionately: what Steven Wilson wants.

:iagree:

At least, I think I agree. I don't at all think Steven Wilson is opposed to technical proficiency on an instrument, even though he's primarily a song-writer. Real craft demands hard work, and making music is a craft. Playing an instrument (well) is one. This is me clutching at straws and guessing, but I think Steven Wilson wants the younger generation to pick up music.

And frankly, I think he's wrong, because even though you're not necessarily seeing it in the mainstream, there's so many people out there still playing and picking up the guitar. The guitar community online is huge. But what do I know.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2021, 12:54:28 PM »
Speaking of Storm Corrosion, Akerfeldt, and collaboration.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/steven-wilson-discusses-possible-storm-corrosion-ii

"I love that record," says Wilson of the side-project with Opeth's Mikael Akerfledt. That was another record that created a lot of controversy. I’m so proud of that record. Part of the reason we’re both proud of it is it was the last thing anyone expected us to do

"It’s perfect for 5.1 because there’s no drums. I’ve just done an Atmos mix of the album, because that’s an album that’s going to be ten years old next year as well. We did a great version of Drag Ropes at one of Albert Hall shows which we mixed.

"So that version’s been mixed, it sounds beautiful. The album is going to be remixed in Atmos. And I think we’re going to do a reissue of that. And that could be good time to do another record. Obviously, there’s a geographical issue. We can’t just get together on Tuesday nights and jam and we don’t want to do it by email. We did Storm Corrosion when we were in the same room at the same time the whole time we made that record, and we wouldn’t want to do a record any other way. I like to think we’ll do it eventually."

Hell yeah. Storm Corrosion is the best album Wilson or Akerfeldt did last decade so I'd be real excited for another one.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2021, 10:54:49 PM »
SW can really be pretentious, but that is not so unusual in this environment. Releasing the same album in two different versions, one extended and the other abridged is pretentious.

Releasing concept albums, one after the other, is pretentious.

Prog rock is pretentious.

I think the problem is that SW doesn't really care about being a Mr. Nice Guy.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2021, 07:46:09 AM »
I don't really have a problem with "pretention" per se; I love Yes, for gosh sakes (nice capes, Rick and Chris!)

I don't really have a problem with "concepts" per se; The Lamb is probably top three Genesis album, and Clutching At Straws my favorite Marillion album (it's loose, but it's still a concept).

I don't really even have a problem with being a "nice guy".  Robert Fripp never gave off the vibe of being a "nice guy".

I do have a problem with the perception of outright contempt for the fans/community.   I watched "Beyond A Lighted Stage" yesterday, and there was a moment where Neil said "there was no pretension, we weren't pretending anything!   We just figured our audience was as smart as we were and would figure it out."    For all the criticisms you could level at guys like Fish, Gabriel, Anderson, Morse, even Portnoy (not a singer or lyricist, but certainly as one who drives the vision), it cannot be said that any of them felt their broader audience (as opposed to the hardcore ride or die fanbase) was stupid or incapable of forming opinions for themselves.  I get that sense, true or not, from Steven Wilson.   

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2021, 09:26:13 AM »
Yes, I'm sure that everyone can post a "problem I have with SW" daily and we would arrive in 2051 without having to repeat it.

But I have seen people here several times indicate that "SW or Daniel Gildenlöw are pretentious", and that this is inherently bad. And this in a group that "deifies" Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, etc. In my view of things, it doesn't make any sense.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2021, 05:16:14 PM »
I agree, Steven Wilson or any of those guys do not come across as insincere.

Offline Kram

« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2021, 05:38:07 PM »
I don't really have a problem with "pretention" per se; I love Yes, for gosh sakes (nice capes, Rick and Chris!)

I don't really have a problem with "concepts" per se; The Lamb is probably top three Genesis album, and Clutching At Straws my favorite Marillion album (it's loose, but it's still a concept).

I don't really even have a problem with being a "nice guy".  Robert Fripp never gave off the vibe of being a "nice guy".

I do have a problem with the perception of outright contempt for the fans/community.   I watched "Beyond A Lighted Stage" yesterday, and there was a moment where Neil said "there was no pretension, we weren't pretending anything!   We just figured our audience was as smart as we were and would figure it out."    For all the criticisms you could level at guys like Fish, Gabriel, Anderson, Morse, even Portnoy (not a singer or lyricist, but certainly as one who drives the vision), it cannot be said that any of them felt their broader audience (as opposed to the hardcore ride or die fanbase) was stupid or incapable of forming opinions for themselves.  I get that sense, true or not, from Steven Wilson.

I agree with everything you said.  This is what rubs me the wrong way about SW

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2021, 05:03:38 PM »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: February 18, 2021, 06:22:13 AM »
I finally checked out the album and it was alright, KING GHOST is my favorite off the album and probably one of my favorite SW solo tracks.