Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 61453 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Future Bites
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2021, 07:54:06 PM »
I think that goes with what I said.  Steven has a hard time bot saying what's on his mind even though there is no I'll intent he can't see what it could do to another person.

I've seen this in my life too many times.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2021, 08:24:57 PM »
I like Count of Unease, but I am starting to wish he had left Anyone But Me in place as the album closer.  Would have been different to get an upbeat, happy-sounding song as the album closer, but I guess he thought about it and wanted to go with the old reliable slower tune at the end.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2021, 08:30:58 PM »
Yeah, Wilson’s comments on EVH were not great to be honest.  It’s fine that he gave an honest answer, too many would have just trotted out some bullshit platitudes, but he went maybe a little far.  All he had to say was that Eddie was a phenomenal musician and innovator but that he didn’t own any of their albums as he’s not a huge fan of that kind of virtuoso guitar playing or something like that.  When you start calling people’s music vile (particularly your fellow musicians) is when you really should shut your mouth.  All music is subjective and we all like different things but to call a piece of art vile, just because it’s not your cup of tea is going way too far.  I know he didn’t call VH vile, just other shredders who have followed in his wake but it’s not something you should say about a fellow musician.

Still not loving the new album, I think it may end up with Grace For Drowning as a SW album that I don’t enjoy.  I’m in the minority it seems in that I quite like Personal Shopper but there’s not much else on here for me.  12 Things I Forgot is fine if a little SW by numbers but I’m not really feeling anything else.  It’s not unlistenable or anything, I just don’t see it being something I go back to repeatedly in the years to come.  Hopefully Transatlantic’s new one will fare better.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:38:29 PM by Peter Mc »

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2021, 08:43:44 PM »
I really like Fear Of A Blank Planet - but SW now has about 150 solo albums. If I liked Porcupine Tree - which SW solo album should I check out ?

I thought I’d replied to this earlier but I can’t see it anywhere.

I think if you are a Porcupine Tree fan looking to ease your way into SW solo, Hand Cannot Erase is probably your best bet.  It’s the closest thing he’s done to PT in my opinion and could pretty easily fit in to their catalog.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2021, 09:23:14 PM »
Yeah, Wilson’s comments on EVH were not great to be honest.  It’s fine that he gave an honest answer, too many would have just trotted out some bullshit platitudes, but he went maybe a little far.  All he had to say was that Eddie was a phenomenal musician and innovator but that he didn’t own any of their albums as he’s not a huge fan of that kind of virtuoso guitar playing or something like that.  When you start calling people’s music vile (particularly your fellow musicians) is when you really should shut your mouth.  All music is subjective and we all like different things but to call a piece of art vile, just because it’s not your cup of tea is going way too far.  I know he didn’t call VH vile, just other shredders who have followed in his wake but it’s not something you should say about a fellow musician.

Still not loving the new album, I think it may end up with Grace For Drowning as a SW album that I don’t enjoy.  I’m in the minority it seems in that I quite like Personal Shopper but there’s not much else on here for me.  12 Things I Forgot is fine if a little SW by numbers but I’m not really feeling anything else.  It’s not unlistenable or anything, I just don’t see it being something I go back to repeatedly in the years to come.  Hopefully Transatlantic’s new one will fare better.

Yeah, Vile is a harsh word choice to use there. I get what he's saying though, and it didn't seem like it was meant as anything vile in how he said it. And as we all know, Steven Wilson just doesn't like Shredder music.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2021, 09:39:49 PM »
Listened to TFB today. Mostly in the background.

I don't love it. I don't hate it.

It'll take a while to sink in. TTB just recently clicked, so It's going to be a while.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2021, 10:22:59 PM »
I saw Elton John promoting Steven's album on his Facebook (he's featured on Personal Shopper), so that was pretty cool.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2021, 10:55:19 PM »
Listened to TFB today. Mostly in the background.

I don't love it. I don't hate it.

It'll take a while to sink in. TTB just recently clicked, so It's going to be a while.

It’s really great background music tbh. I like the soundscape a lot, but the lyrics are tough (always are for me with SW). I mean I listen to SELF and just feel sorry for the guy. Hope he enjoys the ride.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2021, 04:18:33 AM »
I do like the album more than I expected. It is indeed a nice album to put on in the background.

My only criticism is probably that I think his falsetto kinda sounds mediocre and some parts lean heavy into it. But that has applied to songs of the past as well.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2021, 05:26:00 AM »
Yeah, I think he has started overdoing it with the falsetto.  I remember him saying a few years back that he had become more confident that it sounded ok after years of not liking his falsetto.  I think it can be effective if used sparingly but don’t want whole songs in that style like he has started doing on the last 2 albums.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2021, 06:34:53 AM »
I've given TFB a few listens so far and am pleasantly surprised given my expectations after hearing Personal Shopper. Not the direction I'd have his music go if it was up to me but I'm always supportive of a musician following their North Star, regardless of what it means for my personal enjoyment. And given the direction he's gone I'm liking it more than I thought I would.

SW solo album rankings:

1) HCE- My favorite album from the entirety of the 2010s

2) TTB- A very good mashup of his rock and pop sensibilities

3) TFB

4) Raven- Pretty much only ranked because of the beautiful title track

5/6) Insurgentes and GFD- My ears have no use for these
Photobucket sucks.

Online HOF

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2021, 09:03:47 AM »
Since I brought up the EVH/Wolfgang controversy, just noting that Wilson tweeted out an apology to Wolfgang (though I always wince at the “unintentionally offended” type of apologies):

Dear @WolfVanHalen, apologies, no disrespect was meant to your father, an extraordinary musician. I personally never owned any @VanHalen records and didn’t ever get into the style of playing, but he was clearly an incredible innovator.

So when asked about his passing I couldn’t honestly say I was  affected deeply by it, at least not in the way that my heroes Bowie or Prince’s passing had affected me.

This statement was given in honest humility. Forgive me for any offence unintentionally given, and I offer my deepest condolences. SW

https://twitter.com/stevenwilsonhq/status/1357078067114557443?s=21

If nothing else, it’s kind of cool and random that Wolfgang is a PT fan. Maybe they’ll make up and end up collaborating or something.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2021, 09:24:32 AM »
As someone who hasn't really clicked with the guy - I've tried, but most everything I've heard is just... bland and recycled to me - his comments are a constant source of entertainment.   Almost everything he rails against, and claims to be above, I see in his music.   I don't post this to piss on anyone's parade - I'm a listen and let listen kind of guy when it comes to music - I'm just presenting a sort of alternate view to point out how subjective his comments really are, no matter how certain he is of them.

Offline DTA

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2021, 10:07:44 AM »
Somehow the new album has emerged as my favorite of his at the moment. I don’t think it’s brilliant or groundbreaking or anything but it’s thoroughly enjoyable to me and I appreciate it’s shorter length.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2021, 10:09:31 AM »
Yeah came here to post this...

SW was *asked* in an interview what he thought of Eddie - he replied truthfully that he isn't a fan of the shredding style of guitar and wasn't a fan of Van Halen in general

- but that he was obviously a gifted musician and it's sad that he's gone.

It's not like SW tweeted : "Never saw the appeal with EVH - not my style of music - not a fan "... out of nowhere.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2021, 10:19:00 AM »

SW was *asked* in an interview what he thought of Eddie - he replied truthfully that he isn't a fan of the shredding style of guitar and wasn't a fan of Van Halen in general

It's not like SW tweeted : "Never saw the appeal with EVH - not my style of music - not a fan "... out of nowhere.
AND he shit all over a whole style of guitar playing.  That was what was unnecessary.  He could have communicated that it wasn't his cup of tea without being a bastard about it.  But he apparently doesn't have it in him to do that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2021, 10:31:33 AM »
I don't think there was necessarily anything wrong with what SW said but it was the way he said it. I saw in another interview he was asked about Blackfield and his response was that he hasn't even listened to the latest one - which he still appears on a couple of songs. Personally I think it seems a bit shitty to be so openly negative about someone who recently passed (no matter if you dislike) and it also seems pretty shitty to not have listened to your friend's latest album which came out 2 months ago when you used to be part of that band. I like the artist Steven Wilson but as a person he seems very self centered and his whole "i'm above everything" attitude can definitely get a bit draining over time. It's a shame that these tendencies have gotten worse with age and not better.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2021, 10:40:30 AM »
His attitude bites

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2021, 10:45:06 AM »
I don't think there was necessarily anything wrong with what SW said but it was the way he said it. I saw in another interview he was asked about Blackfield and his response was that he hasn't even listened to the latest one - which he still appears on a couple of songs. Personally I think it seems a bit shitty to be so openly negative about someone who recently passed (no matter if you dislike) and it also seems pretty shitty to not have listened to your friend's latest album which came out 2 months ago when you used to be part of that band. I like the artist Steven Wilson but as a person he seems very self centered and his whole "i'm above everything" attitude can definitely get a bit draining over time. It's a shame that these tendencies have gotten worse with age and not better.
Yeah, he's the only musician I follow whom I would not want to meet if I had a chance.  Love most of his music, for sure, but come on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2021, 10:48:25 AM »
it's funny because I didn't even know all this happened. (and honestly, I never even thought SW would like anything Ed did.) I mostly do like The Future Bites though.
Concerning being egocentric, I think every artist is to some degree.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2021, 10:53:39 AM »

This. I honestly don't understand why this is such a big problem. Could he have phrased this better? Maybe. But the reaction is way too big for such a little statement. So he doesn't like EVH's music and his playing and he doesn't like shredding, so what.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2021, 11:23:12 AM »
Yeah, he's the only musician I follow whom I would not want to meet if I had a chance.  Love most of his music, for sure, but come on.

Well, his VIP package for To the Bone tour was to gain early access to the venue, get some items (VIP laminated pass, a pick, a signed/personalized CD of a recorded gig from Raven tour which is actually pretty damn cool, probably something else but I don't remember) and see "the band perform three songs that won't be a part of the regular show". One of the songs was Sectarian (an instrumental), the second one was Trains (full band) and the third one was I don't remember what but it was piano and guitar (or drums? or bass?) only. Steven explained that he had to preserve his voice for the actual show, being this late in the tour.

I loved the experience, but it's not like meeting him in person was even an option.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2021, 11:28:37 AM »

This. I honestly don't understand why this is such a big problem. Could he have phrased this better? Maybe. But the reaction is way too big for such a little statement. So he doesn't like EVH's music and his playing and he doesn't like shredding, so what.

I think a lot of the negative reaction comes from blabbermouths headline PLUS a very huge love that many metal fans have for EVH.  Mix those two up and you're going to get shat on.  Regardless, he could have worded things more politely, but we know he's not into that.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2021, 11:30:19 AM »
As someone who hasn't really clicked with the guy - I've tried, but most everything I've heard is just... bland and recycled to me - his comments are a constant source of entertainment.   Almost everything he rails against, and claims to be above, I see in his music.   I don't post this to piss on anyone's parade - I'm a listen and let listen kind of guy when it comes to music - I'm just presenting a sort of alternate view to point out how subjective his comments really are, no matter how certain he is of them.

It pains me to agree with Stadler, but I agree.  Listening to this album relating to all of his comments on his take on pop music, what he has done here is nothing new if you listen to someone like Lorde or Billie Ellish (nothing wrong with those artists, that part could be me talking my mouth off, but I need to get some point of reference here).  I liked To The Bone and songs like Permanating and enjoyed listening to them.  The Future Bites rarely had that sense of enjoyment that makes me think, "I want to listen to that again."  Now, if Steven wants to go more pop, I want him to adapt more of a JPop-style out of nowhere. It sounds fun if handled correctly.

His attitude bites

His.  Attitude.  Bites.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2021, 11:34:20 AM »
His comments can definitely be amusing especially those times when it comes off as hypocritical. Like him completely trashing Flower Kings/Transatlantic for being 'regressive' and being the death of progressive rock because of the focus on paying homage to the 70s sound, and then making Grace For Drowning & Raven himself is just hilarious.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2021, 12:12:19 PM »
Steven Wilson says what Steven Wilson wants to say and probably also what happens to 'make sense' in line with the new record. Who is even surprised that he has some out-there stuff to say? You don't have to believe everything he says, and neither is it any wonder (to me at least) that he's self-centered and a little weird. It makes you wonder; what if Steven Wilson the song-writing would actually team up with someone who's a better singer and more of a performer? He might actually be more successful that way. That said; I don't think Steven Wilson is doing a bad job at all. This solo career has certainly given him a wider audience and his output is getting quite diverse.

Him saying he doesn't like shredding doesn't surprise me at all, since he never incorporated anything like that in his music, and when he almost did by employing Guthrie Govan, he picked a guy that could play anything SW wanted him to play.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2021, 12:44:07 PM »

AND he shit all over a whole style of guitar playing.  That was what was unnecessary.  He could have communicated that it wasn't his cup of tea without being a bastard about it.  But he apparently doesn't have it in him to do that.

Why does that matter to you. It doesn't to me. I don't care at all how Steven Wilson decides to tell us how he feels about that style of music. That's his opinion.

Would you rather him sugercoat it because you think How he says it is offensive. To whom?....

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2021, 12:53:03 PM »

Why does that matter to you. It doesn't to me. I don't care at all how Steven Wilson decides to tell us how he feels about that style of music. That's his opinion.

Would you rather him sugercoat it because you think How he says it is offensive. To whom?....

Pretty sure most normal humans are able to say "I wasn't that much of a listener but it's a shame he passed" without taking the opportunity to throw shade at the person who just passed. I mean I don't necessarily care but I can see why people would.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2021, 01:12:17 PM »

Pretty sure most normal humans are able to say "I wasn't that much of a listener but it's a shame he passed" without taking the opportunity to throw shade at the person who just passed. I mean I don't necessarily care but I can see why people would.

But he wasn't throwing shade at him. He was asked what he thought of him. It's like asking someone whom likes Ice cream but doesn't like cake, what he thinks about this chocolate cake.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2021, 01:17:45 PM »

But he wasn't throwing shade at him. He was asked what he thought of him. It's like asking someone whom likes Ice cream but doesn't like cake, what he thinks about this chocolate cake.

I mean the use of the word "vile" seemed unnecessary right? Even if you dislike something. :p

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2021, 01:21:21 PM »
Hard to compare opinions on food vs opinions on someone who was beloved and recently passed away.  No one is saying his opinion is wrong, it's the way he words it.

Some of this reminds me of Sons of Apollo's start, by being so negative towards other musicians.  It's not a good look IMO.  Artists shouldn't be like that towards each other IMO, at least not publicly. 

Now all we need is a GVF, SW, and Wolfie VH tour together.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2021, 01:28:11 PM »
I'd have to watch the interview again, but I don't think he called Eddie's playing vile; he called the trend of shredders that he inspired vile.  Semantics, but it's like if someone called all of the bands that Nirvana influenced horse crap; you aren't call Nirvana themselves horse crap.  And Wilson did say, I believe, that he knows that Eddie was much more than that (a shredder).  Think of hair metal too that was so big in the 80's. VH is rarely themselves called hair metal, but I think it's a given that most of the bands were influenced by VH. 

Wilson still would have been better served keeping his answer short and sweet, but he rarely gives short answers.  Maybe he will start now.  :lol :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2021, 01:36:09 PM »
I'd have to watch the interview again, but I don't think he called Eddie's playing vile; he called the trend of shredders that he inspired vile.  Semantics, but it's like if someone called all of the bands that Nirvana influenced horse crap; you aren't call Nirvana themselves horse crap.  And Wilson did say, I believe, that he knows that Eddie was much more than that (a shredder).  Think of hair metal too that was so big in the 80's. VH is rarely themselves called hair metal, but I think it's a given that most of the bands were influenced by VH. 

Wilson still would have been better served keeping his answer short and sweet, but he rarely gives short answers.  Maybe he will start now.  :lol :lol

I didn’t watch the video, but he probably comes across worse in print too. On his podcast he can be really opinionated and critics about other artists, even ones he says he loves, but there’s an element of humor there and his personality comes across a little better.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2021, 01:47:26 PM »
I honestly don't care at all about what Steven Wilson has or hasn't said, as long as it's not stuff like racism or conspiracy theory bullshit. Frankly, I can relate quite a bit with what he says as well, so there's that too. EVH's death didn't affect me personally at all, because I was not emotionally invested in his music or in him. And that being said, I can't really think of any person that I have never interacted with that would impact me personally when they die. That whole concept is alien to me, but maybe I'm too cold there then, or maybe that will grow when I get older as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2021, 02:21:24 PM »

But he wasn't throwing shade at him.

I'm guessing English maybe isn't your native language?  Because what Wilson said about EVH is pretty much the definition of "throwing shade" and it was absolutely unnecessary.